Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My gripes - cannot believe they dropped random arenas!

I loved random arena in GW1 - it's what made me love the game. Quick in, fight, then leave - all whilst building skills that had a lasting effect on my account. where is this in GW2?

I am very much NOT happy with GW2 - it's gone away from the great PvP mechanics that was there, and does a "clone" of PvE mmos, where it frontloads raids etc and makes it public (swamp monster) as opposed to raids and dungeons. Works great a little while, then wears off. Dungeons in GW2 horrible. here's my list of gripes:

- Bring back Random Arenas, this was the best aspect of guildwars 1 imo and has been butchered

- No longer able to equip all skills at your own desire

- PvE holds not innovation: kill, fetch, protect and bad wrapping

- Horrible storyline (if there is one)

- Feels like a sparkling facade with a cheap free to play in the back (yes i know it's pay to play)

Comments

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    They didn't dropped RA, just the Death Match. They also stated that will look into different pvp types then conquer. I personally would like to see DM return and also well made capture the flag type. We shall see.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Ye some other mechanics for the scenarios would be awesome, at the moment all are kind of same and after you reached like pvp20, its no fun anymore to play them all over again, only breaks beetween make it acceptable, which was diffrent in gw1
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I haven't delved into GW2's PvP yet, but random arenas were really my favorite PvP in GW1 - quick fun with little stress (awesome to relax after bad GvG streaks).

I hope they add some kind of deathmatch soon.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by mazut
    also well made capture the flag type. We shall see.

Yes that would be so good.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    what do you mean? is four man random arena in there? where do i sign up for it? I only see world-vs-world.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Press "H".

Go down to the buttom to the crossed flags.

Choose "Go to the mists".

HF.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Mouth

I loved random arena in GW1 - it's what made me love the game. Quick in, fight, then leave - all whilst building skills that had a lasting effect on my account. where is this in GW2?

I am very much NOT happy with GW2 - it's gone away from the great PvP mechanics that was there, and does a "clone" of PvE mmos, where it frontloads raids etc and makes it public (swamp monster) as opposed to raids and dungeons. Works great a little while, then wears off. Dungeons in GW2 horrible. here's my list of gripes:

- Bring back Random Arenas, this was the best aspect of guildwars 1 imo and has been butchered

- Feels like a sparkling facade with a cheap free to play in the back (yes i know it's pay to play)

I can feel you on the Random Arenas.  So many good memories, but you lose me after that.  I literally just walked into the 70-80 zone up in the Nord area and noticed in the distance a 300 foot tall dragon DESTROYING 2 organized guilds in an amazing zone event.  After watching the fight, as i was not nearly level appropriate, i noticed this encounter, The Claw of Jormag, had about 10 different "raid"mechanics going on.  These mechanics would be found in any endgame raid dungeon from past games;  this one was facerolling two organized groups of people.  They said, after giving up, it would take at least 5 organized guilds to take it down.  PvE holds no innovation?  sorry, but i think you're wrong.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

here is my conspiracy theory.

remember how when Warhammer Online was in hype phase, and the developers revealed that the game would have instanced PvP? Well the community went into a rage because they assumed the instanced PvP would take away from the World PvP.

I believe Anet had the same thing in mind when it comes to WvW vs SPvP.

They could likely have designed SPvP to be dull and lame on purpose, so people would play WvW over SPvP.

night/morning. Iam going to bed. Been up all night playing.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    that sounds very cool skymourne, and you're correct: i have not experience this in Guild Wars 2 as of yet. So there are really good encounters for raids/dungeons on part with the mechanics of say TSW (ie top notch)? Only effect i've seen so far has been the regular "ground circles" to walk out of - awesome to hear that there's more and complex mechanics waiting (if this is indeed the case).
  • RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

The structured PvP is like the random arenas with the difference that you are collecting points for the win instead of just killing the other team to finish.

I'm sure that more pvp options will come with the updates and expansions (like the Guild vs Guild that will probably be added together with the Guild Halls) with more areas to fight upon in sPvP as also additional modes.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Mouth

I am 100% sure that random arenas will be back pretty soon , but there is just so much you can add in a game from launch.

You mean you cant dual class, right? I see why they did that. Balancing GW1 was truly a nightmare.

I actually like the PvE. The storyline can be somewhat weak at times, that is true but hardly weaker than the first game or any other MMO besides TOR (which more or less just did the storylines right).