Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need GW2 to fail

Comments

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

I wholeheartedly agree that the MMO genre is in big trouble, even if most people dont realize it yet.

The lack of diversity is mindboggling. The fact that people think that GW2 is "innovative" is a testament to how little the genre is changing.

Part of me sadly does agree that the MMO industry might need some sort of crash. Though I've been saying it for years, there needs to be some sort of implosion before real change will ever happen.

In all honesty, I just wish a developer will take a look at the older games and give players their freedoms back. What ever happened to open ended play? Skill based, classless systems. Player housing? A real economy? Community focused games?

Sad.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

We need a toast-making MMORPG, obviously.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

The secret world sucks , SWTOR was a disaster and hopefully GW2 will bomb.

That way in the future we can have as I suggested before....

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

A zombie mmorpg? You mean like TSW....the game you think sucks?

So, basically you want sandbox games right? Why not just say that?

Otherwise please avoid the use of the word "innovate", the prudes on this forum will tear you a new one for misusing it.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I with you, but I'd be bored to tears while it's crashing :(

edit - everything after TSW, GW2. and TESO, okay?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Toast, teh GW2 killer...
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

We need to be able to build towns , cities , houses , use our webcams so we can put our faces on our toons, upload jpegs so we can add custom logos to our creations.

I am available to design custom logos; but you won't like my freelance rate.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

What did i just read ?

You did not make your son a toast ? Shame on you !!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by roo67

A zombie mmo is already in the works .

This.  Then again, I'm not sure how well it'll fair.  Loke666 on the forums seems to have a lot of faith in (I don't remember what it's called now... brain's fried).  It will probably be much different than most fantasy MMOs though, in terms of visuals (obviously) and mechanics.  

i have faith in it  http://undeadlabs.com/

its being developed by Jeff Strain, one of the people that co-founded ANET and gave this inspiring speech in 2007

How to Create a Successful MMO

http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    The millions of players having loads of fun in those respective games beg to differ.  
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Thane

I was thinking this morning at my kitchen table when my 9 yearold son woke up and walked in. He said dad can you make me some toast?

No I wont make you toast today son. He asked me why and I told him I always make him toast , his mother never makes him toast.

Go wake up your mom and tell her to make you some toast. He started to cry and went to wake her up.

A few minutes later his mother appeared and asked me why I wont make him toast, hes crying. I told her its because I didnt feel motivated to make good toast , I had no competition from her since she always let me make the toast.

Now as I sat at the table thinking some more I realized that is what mmorpg's need but in order for that to happen we need Guild Wars 2 to fail along with the secret world and all future mmorpg's.

We need a mmorpg crash similar to the video game crash of the 80's. We need it to be clear to future developers that we need innovation and competition.

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

Upload mp3s so we can put custom music in our houses , we need 1 server so we can play with millions of people.

or, maybe... just maybe. you need to treat your son better ^^

just make him some toast ffs

Hes 9 years old he should be able to make them himself.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Hes 9 years old he should be able to make them himself.

Er--you can lead a man to toast, but you can't make him butter?

No, that doesn't quite work, does it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Make your son a toast and you give him a breakfast. Teach your son to make a toast and you'll give him all his future breakfasts.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Why do u have kids if u cant do for them something simple like to make them a toast? :(
  • VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    I hate toast, and who the hell WANTS to go to prison??
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    You need a licesne to drive a car, but not to have kids who can't make toast.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

The whole toast thing was kind of stupid, but I agree with everything else.  Next time your son asks for toast, give him the damn toast...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while, and what's more obnoxious is that you put GW2 in the title just to get more hits.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    To OP:  I find it remarkable that you want new, fresh and innovative games, yet  you assert that TSW sucks.   Let's see, TSW has no levels, no classes, >500 learnable abilities, and manages to get all of this onto one server.   What , precisely, do you assert would be innovative if not TSW?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

A few things I found that's surprising to me...

1. You're married.

2. You're a father.

3. You FAILED to teach your 9-year old son to make toast.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Let me bring you to reality. 

Let's just say both TSW and GW2 tank, like TOR.  What does that say about the industry and its future?  How about this scenario?

Investors (which, by the way, provide the funding and capital for developers to create games) see that MMORPGs are no longer sound investments where they can invest enormous sums and get a healthy return on their investment.  Therefore, investors leave the MMORPG market.

Developers, unable to get access to capital, go out of business, merge with larger companies, or leave the MMORPG development of games to other types of games. 

What's left then?  Where's the toast?  Granted, there would continue to be companies that create games, but they would probably be smaller, independent studies that squeeze out the odd, under developed, buggy piece of crap like Mortal Online. 

I'm sure there are plenty out there who have this idealized vision of developers meeting your personal need for a real life distraction.  It's certainly not reality.

You want to know what happens to the industry when games fail?  Follow the money.  When games fail, investors leave and capital goes someplace else.

Then nobody gets toast.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Am I the only one sensing sarcasm here?
  • AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

You need a licence for a gun, yet anyone can breed. Society is screwed.

Next time your kid asks forr toast, give him some goddamn toast.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Not copying.

A prison mmorpg

A cowboy themed mmorpg

A zombie mmorpg

complete lunacy.  what the hell?  first of all, make your son some fucking toast please.  The rest of that drivel had the intelligence of a carrot.  Crawl in a hole and hide somewhere please, you don't represent a majority opinion in any way.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Anyone else read this and think "Oh god, this idiot reproduced!"?

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Moneymakers don't care about innovation/revolution/invention or whatever the hell buzzword gets thrown around these days unless it works in their best interests. Having a crash MIGHT revitalize the industry of MMOs, or it could just say that MMOs simply aren't worth the investment, and thus no one will invest. The only MMOs you would get as a result of this supposed crash are the ones from tiny budgets and probably filled with bugs and problems, or previously established ones, like WoW.

Granted I won't deny that they could do much better than they are doing right now, but I'm not sure having a crash will give a guaranteed for improvements. Heck it might just make things worse.

And WoW would still be king of the wastelands.

Also, you are an ass to your wife and kid.

This discussion has been closed.