Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of us can admit we were wrong?

caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

There were a lot of trolls on the gw2 fansite forums, there were a lot of "haters" but there were also a lot of people that seem to have been extremely accurate about how gw2 would turn out, who were also lumped in with the trolls and haters because we were biased.

Let me be the first to apologize... I was one of those fanbois that would defend the game and assumed everything would be really amazing because it is 2012.  Now I feel so silly reflecting on all the past conversations I had.

I remember one fellow sharing his concerns about wvw lag, performance issues in large groups, class mechanics and how the new trinity wasn't any better, and how the game had no truly challenging end game.  I just assumed anet had enough savvy to completely avoid such flaws, but the game I got was really simplistic.  I honestly don't know how it took so long to create a game with so little substance. 

I still play it, albeit casually, and the game isn't hard to stomache or anything, but it definitely isn't that groundbreaking MMO that was going to set the new standard, that many of us swore it would be. 

Comments

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Isn't the game exactly like the developers said it would?

Remember events aren't really working as intended because there ate WAY to many people.

Perhaps in the future fanboys like yourself should not make up stuff  while talking about a game in development.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by thekid1

Remember events aren't really working as intended because there ate WAY to many people.

Perhaps in the future fanboys like yourself should not make up stuff  while talking about a game in development.

I rewatched the manifesto... and the game isn't exactly like the developers said it would be. 

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by caetftl
    Originally posted by thekid1

I rewatched the manifesto... and the game isn't exactly like the developers said it would be. 

Like?

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I guess I just dont understand what people were expecting. It is a great game and there are elements that go beyond most mmos but I dont know if there is much any developer can do to really make a ground breaking Theme Park. I mean you can make AI behave in semi random behavior pattern..but lets be honest. We have had old school sandbox games in the past. We have had the themepark run. Really the only place left to go for mmos is a super hybrid. Having a complete sandbox game but add theme park encounters in it. I am happy with guild wars 2 but i do not find it to be an game to end all games. It may be around awhile but I doubt to the end all praise as so many had wanted.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

There were a lot of trolls on the gw2 fansite forums, there were a lot of "haters" but there were also a lot of people that seem to have been extremely accurate about how gw2 would turn out, who were also lumped in with the trolls and haters because we were biased.

Let me be the first to apologize... I was one of those fanbois that would defend the game and assumed everything would be really amazing because it is 2012.  Now I feel so silly reflecting on all the past conversations I had.

I remember one fellow sharing his concerns about wvw lag, performance issues in large groups, class mechanics and how the new trinity wasn't any better, and how the game had no truly challenging end game.  I just assumed anet had enough savvy to completely avoid such flaws, but the game I got was really simplistic.  I honestly don't know how it took so long to create a game with so little substance. 

I still play it, albeit casually, and the game isn't hard to stomache or anything, but it definitely isn't that groundbreaking MMO that was going to set the new standard, that many of us swore it would be. 

Link to your previous posts and your user name this all happened under plz. If it happened at all that is.

The amount of fake alt accounts being awoken and created to tell lies and throw shit at this game is ridiculous.

• petespripetespri Member Posts: 15

How many posts do you have?  Oh yeah, just another hater troll rolling a new name.

LOL.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't recall making any claims or predictions about GW2 or any other MMO. However, I think it makes perfect sense to look at past statements to see if the point of view held in those statements is still valid or relevant.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by gravesworn
    I guess I just dont understand what people were expecting. It is a great game and there are elements that go beyond most mmos but I dont know if there is much any developer can do to really make a ground breaking Theme Park. I mean you can make AI behave in semi random behavior pattern..but lets be honest. We have had old school sandbox games in the past. We have had the themepark run. Really the only place left to go for mmos is a super hybrid. Having a complete sandbox game but add theme park encounters in it. I am happy with guild wars 2 but i do not find it to be an game to end all games. It may be around awhile but I doubt to the end all praise as so many had wanted.

I guess the most disappointing aspect for me, is how anet went about marketing it.  They made so many claims or insinuated so many things, that they did not deliver on.  They still made a solid game mind you, something that most mmo developers can not accomplish, I just figured with their experience and funding they could make something better. 

I don't think there are any mmos on the horizon that will be nearly as anticipated and well-funded. 

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I was troll but everything I said even thanks to "trolling" is true! I gave GW2 two months until ppl ll find out its not as good as you thought. And now I can say that some of you ralised it sooner than I expected. My true opinions about GW2  cost me few warnings and two bans tbh^^
    Originally posted by kertin
    I was troll but everything I said even thanks to "trolling" is true! I gave GW2 two months until ppl ll find out its not as good as you thought. And now I can say that some of you ralised it sooner than I expected. My true opinions about GW2  cost me few warnings and two bans tbh^^

I don't really see why people troll for the sake of trolling, but I do find it interesting that sometimes the trolls see things more clearly than the anti-trolls.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

strange that you only have a few posts on this account..

Anyway i always said GW2 was just gonna be another themepark game that feels like al lthe others and i was right. Not much changed from closed betea really..

Boring PVE and massive q's for WvWvW :(

I am sure a lot of people will love it but for me im already getting bored..

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

The game is exactly what the manifesto promised.

Granted, there are hitches with the Trading Post and various bugs due to server overloads because of the massive influx of people into the game, but these are growing pains, not deviations from the intended plan.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Granted, there are hitches with the Trading Post and various bugs due to server overloads because of the massive influx of people into the game, but these are growing pains, not deviations from the intended plan.

I just rewatched the manifesto... each time they made a claim about the game, I paused and thought about it, thought about my experiences in the game, and asked myself if that's what they ended up delivering on.  I do not feel they delivered on most of what they promised in the manifesto. 

• sugar4freesugar4free Member Posts: 26

I remember in Guild Wars  there was/is a ranger skill called :   Troll Unguent

xDDD

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I bought the game, played it for 2 days 25-27th August. Then I uninstalled, and got it refunded. 

DE are a poor rip off of Tabula Rasa Dynamic Battlefields, without the actual consequence (like losing a base along with all NPCs and Vendors), and it's a zergfest.

Exploration is forced, everywhere you go you are rewarded with something. You can't make 10 steps without getting a reward, I went AFK for 10 minutes, came back and realized I got experience and karma for some DE that popped up nearby.

The gameplay area is somewhat small, no mounts means it gives an illusion that it's larger than it really is. WIth insta teleports, the game has no immersion.

PvP is pretty much like LOTRO PvP. The map is too large and too empty. There were 2 or 3 main fights - zerg fests, otherwise the maps were empty.

REALITY CHECK

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I just rewatched the manifesto...

Caetftl...

Everything you say and post is worthless until you provide us with those links as to the forum, threads, and user name that this crusade all supposedly happened under, as requested before.

You have absolutely no credibility.

Originally posted by Thillian

I bought the game, played it for 2 days 25-27th August. Then I uninstalled, and got it refunded. 

DE are a poor rip off of Tabula Rasa Dynamic Battlefields, without the actual consequence (like losing a base along with all NPCs and Vendors), and it's a zergfest.

Exploration is forced, everywhere you go you are rewarded with something. You can't make 10 steps without getting a reward, I went AFK for 10 minutes, came back and realized I got experience and karma for some DE that popped up nearby.

The gameplay area is somewhat small, no mounts means it gives an illusion that it's larger than it really is. WIth insta teleports, the game has no immersion.

PvP is pretty much like LOTRO PvP. The map is too large and too empty. There were 2 or 3 main fights - zerg fests, otherwise the maps were empty.

You bring up some good points about the size of the maps.  They made these great looking environments, but they don't seem to have the technology to field the amount of players it would take to fill those maps up. 

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I think with the success of this game they will continue momentum and hopefully develop more content. Mind you that the almighty WOW didnt have the content it does in its first month. It has taken it 8 years to accomplish what it has. I know anet with evolve the game over time. Hopefully for the better.
  • keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Okay, I admit it. I'd been waiting for five years for this game and was really excited about it and couldn't wait. I thought it was going to be great.

I was wrong.

Guild Wars 2 is AMAZING

*closes browser to go play some more*

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Maybe when some well-known posters start fessing up, I'll start to think about this more.  Until then, I wasn't wrong.  The game is a new direction for MMOs, and it plays great.  I don't know what's supposed to be more important to me than that.
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

The biggest part of the manifesto to me that they claimed is to make a player feel like the hero, because other MMO's take that away or dont provide it at all. Well they succeeded at making the game decisively single player. Not even really needing to group so you feel epic and powerful all by yourself.

This fails because in MMO's you are NOT supposed to be the hero. You are an adventurer, and you combine forces with OTHER adventurers to tackle huge threats and such. Being by yourself you typically tend to get your butt whooped at anything outside of a one on one fight in other MMO's. That is how it is supposed to be. You are not THE ONE, you are one of a million.

So their manifesto claiming to make you the hero was a bad idea to me personally and most likely plenty of others. However I will grant them that one success in that regard. The rest is just not true, I played through BETA and opted to not buy the game because it did nothing for me personally. Their direction is that of a Co-op spRPG and A living breathing world is just  not there.

• ECGangelECGangel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    jesus, the game is practically free to play or you can think of it as a $60+ lifetime sub, whichever.  what other game can offer as much for that deal and look as good.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    OP i don't know what cave you came out of. Guild Wars 2 is the best game i've ever played, it's groundbreaking and it's awesome. Just because things aren't going smoothly the first month doesn't mean the game isn't groundbreaking or amazing. Look at the content itself and not the bugs, glitches and maintenances. Most PvE content is easy or medium and some are harder. If you go to high lvl zones it will get harder, if you go into a dungeon it will become alot harder. If you're a raider, join WvWvW. If you'r a typical PvPer and like moba games like dota, LoL and HoN you can play SPvP.

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Caetftl...

Everything you say and post is worthless until you provide us with those links as to the forum, threads, and user name that this crusade all supposedly happened under, as requested before.

You have absolutely no credibility.

This. You certainly didn't defend the game on this site, so until you prove your activity on other forums, it's not very thrustworthy.

Originally posted by ECGangel
    jesus, the game is practically free to play or you can think of it as a $60+ lifetime sub, whichever.  what other game can offer as much for that deal and look as good.

I do not like this kind of argument... there are tons of f2p games, but they don't make the same promises as these big budget mmos, they don't pretend they are going to shake the ground.  $60 may not be a lot of money relative to life in general, that doesn't mean things that coast $60 should be immune to analyzation. 

This discussion has been closed.