Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yup, it's a masterpiece

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Well, there's currently a thread with 150 posts in it, stating that GW2 gets tedious and boring, with many people in the thread agreeing.  I wouldn't of thought a "masterpiece" would do that..

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Well, there's currently a thread with 150 posts in it, stating that GW2 gets tedious and boring, with many people in the thread agreeing.  I wouldn't of thought a "masterpiece" would do that..

you seem to be forgetting what forums you are on.. most people on these forums don't like anything if you haven't noticed.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    just did a 4 hour WvWvW marathon.. probably most fun I have ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.. people can say what they want but this game is FUN

You have made it clear that you need to post anytime someone has a post regarding issues. Not that you post anything productive just that you like it. I am glad people enjoy it. This post is about it being a "masterpiece " or how it is far from a masterpiece very far from.

check my post history have stated reasons and long explainations numerous times.. sorry if liking a game  in the games own forum offends you

Oh it does not offend me at all i am glad for those who do enjoy it...but its no masterpiece.

Says who?  

The majority who replied to this post about it being "masterpiece". Only a select few actual think it is. Good for them but realty sucks sometimes.
    just did a 4 hour WvWvW marathon.. probably most fun I have ever had in my 20+ years of gaming.. people can say what they want but this game is FUN

You have made it clear that you need to post anytime someone has a post regarding issues. Not that you post anything productive just that you like it. I am glad people enjoy it. This post is about it being a "masterpiece " or how it is far from a masterpiece very far from.

check my post history have stated reasons and long explainations numerous times.. sorry if liking a game  in the games own forum offends you

Oh it does not offend me at all i am glad for those who do enjoy it...but its no masterpiece.

Says who?  

The majority who replied to this post about it being "masterpiece". Only a select few actual think it is. Good for them but realty sucks sometimes.

can't believe how much people think this website shows what people really feel about games as a whole.. this place is the most negative and brutal place for MMOs i have been by far. You also forgot .. forums are mostly people unhappy with a game or waiting for a game.. most people playing aren't posting here

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Says who?  

A handful who say it isnt out of millions who say it is a masterpiece, is nothing. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Good for you, i was in a WvW queue for 2 hs, so couldnt play. ¨a masterpiece¨, just lol. 

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

Says who?  

can't believe how much people think this website shows what people really feel about games as a whole.. this place is the most negative and brutal place for MMOs i have been by far.

So why post. The thing is, it s so easy to get the rabid fans all up in arms over nothing. In reality, I could care less if they like any game, they re just games for that matter.

• Tanek1966Tanek1966 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Says who?  

can't believe how much people think this website shows what people really feel about games as a whole.. this place is the most negative and brutal place for MMOs i have been by far. You also forgot .. forums are mostly people unhappy with a game or waiting for a game.. most people playing aren't posting here

Face it, some company could come up with a masterful hybrid of EQ, DAOC, UO, and AC, and the people on these forums would blast it to kingdom come. They just revel in the negativity this place engenders.

Originally posted by Deto123

Says who?  

can't believe how much people think this website shows what people really feel about games as a whole.. this place is the most negative and brutal place for MMOs i have been by far.

So why post. The thing is, it s so easy to get the rabid fans all up in arms over nothing. In reality, I could care less if they like any game, they re just games for that matter.

i agree but why do so many people here spend so much time talking about and bashing a game they dislike? seems silly to me.. why not go talk about games you enjoy? being negative all the time is bad for your health haven't you heard? :)

Originally posted by Tanek1966

Face it, some company could come up with a masterful hybrid of EQ, DAOC, UO, and AC, and the people on these forums would blast it to kingdom come. They just revel in the negativity this place engenders.

exactly no matter what comes out  it will get bashed to hell on this website.. could be the perfect game yet people here would bash it to all hell.. you just gotta learn to ignore most of it:)

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

"Masterpiece" is always going to be a very subjective word. I also think you will find that people who are disatissfied with an MMO and want to vent are most likely to do it here on this site. It will be interesting to see whether or not that is the case in a broader sense.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Hyperwolf

An F2P with AAA quality hasn't existed before now, at least not right from launch day.

$60 to play it and you still call it free?   Nobody considers games with microtransactions "free" anymore.   It is an advertising term that companies used to differentiate their products from P2P subscriptions.  

"A P2W with AAA quality hasn't existed before now, at least not right from launch day." is what you should have stated.

The WvW also has the potential to hit a sweet spot that many games since DaoC have been unable to find. The inability to grief people in GW2 is a breath of fresh air that I hope many more games will take note of. Arena has done a lot right. In terms of launch issues I'm sure if they are affecting you they are very frustrating, but looking at the company's behaviour so far it should also be evident that they will be fixed sooner rather than later. 

That point is completely moot.  Rift was relatively free of troubles launch.  GW2 was obviously not ready and giving it a free pass from "launch issues" because they will be fixed in the future is a ridiculous statement.   I could certainly understand your argument that it is a pointless argument in the first place, since the game has the P2W business model and a player not being able to log on doesn't really amount to any perceived loss of money.

Poking fun of people who aren't as cynical and analytical about the game and the state of MMO's as you are because they are having fun and enjoying themselves isn't really rational, which is kind of ironic. And being 'sick' of other people enjoying something is a bit of  a worry. And it's an affliction that seems to be very common here. 

Well here is your problem.  His statement wasn't a personal attack on you.  It was just a simple statement that people are acting irrational with all the excitement from GW2 release.   TBH, I haven't see so many "WoW killer" statements being made in other game forums, since the release of Darkfall.   We all know how well that went.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Hyperwolf

An F2P with AAA quality hasn't existed before now, at least not right from launch day.

$60 to play it and you still call it free?   Nobody considers games with microtransactions "free" anymore.   It is an advertising term that companies used to differentiate their products from P2P subscriptions.  

"A P2W with AAA quality hasn't existed before now, at least not right from launch day." is what you should have stated.

The WvW also has the potential to hit a sweet spot that many games since DaoC have been unable to find. The inability to grief people in GW2 is a breath of fresh air that I hope many more games will take note of. Arena has done a lot right. In terms of launch issues I'm sure if they are affecting you they are very frustrating, but looking at the company's behaviour so far it should also be evident that they will be fixed sooner rather than later. 

That point is completely moot.  Rift had a relatively free of troubles launch.  GW2 was obviously not ready and giving it a free pass from " launch issues " because they will be fixed in the future is a ridiculous statement.   I could certainly understand your argument that it is a pointless argument in the first place, since the game has the P2W business model and a player not being able to log on doesn't really amount to any perceived loss of money.

Poking fun of people who aren't as cynical and analytical about the game and the state of MMO's as you are because they are having fun and enjoying themselves isn't really rational, which is kind of ironic. And being 'sick' of other people enjoying something is a bit of  a worry. And it's an affliction that seems to be very common here. 

Well here is your problem.  His statement wasn't a personal attack on you.  It was just a simple statement that people are acting irrational with all the excitement from GW2 release.   TBH, I haven't see so many " WoW killer " statements being made in other game forums, since the release of Darkfall.   We all know how well that went.

I didn't respond to it as though it was a personal attack on me, and thus don't have a problem.  I merely note that when pointing out irrational behaviour it's best not to display your own so prominently.

As to your other comments, thanks for your personal perspective. I do believe that whether you like it or not GW2 is doing exceedingly well and has - to an extent - lived up to much of it's hype. I disagree completely with the P2W tag and am not one for labelling anything a WoW-killer, however nor do I get 'amped up' about that in the way that many of you do. 

At the end of the day people are enjoying the game, and being enthusiastic about it. If you don't like it try not to let it upset you too much was my message to the original post. 

Cheers. :-) 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Says who?  

Remember your comment in another thread where you mentioned you didn't like Apple computers?  Have you ever read comments from die hard Apple fans when anyone gives a negative comment about an Apple product?  Yeah.  Hard core GW2 fans have behaved the same way as those Apple fans have.  Theres a reason a certain amount of glee and smugness has been displayed at the launch woes of GW2.  GW2 fans have been unbearable the past year or so.  Remember when TSW launched with no AH?  GW2 fans were pretty quick to jump all over it and declare the game crap.  They've been doing the same to other MMOs, as well. 

I guess karma can be a b*tch.  Pun intended.image

BTW, I don't hate the game.  So far I'd give it a solid 8/10.  Fun but most certainly not the new Robot Jesus many have declared it to be.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Says who?  

Remember your comment in another thread where you mentioned you didn't like Apple computers?  Have you ever read comments from die hard Apple fans when anyone gives a negative comment about an Apple product?  Yeah.  Hard core GW2 fans have behaved the same way as those Apple fans have.  Theres a reason a certain amount of glee and smugness has been displayed at the launch woes of GW2.  GW2 fans have been unbearable the past year or so.  Remember when TSW launched with no AH?  GW2 fans were pretty quick to jump all over it and declare the game crap.  They've been doing the same to other MMOs, as well. 

BTW, I don't hate the game.  So far I'd give it a solid 8/10.  Fun but most certainly not the new Robot Jesus many have declared it to be.

love how you guys lump all GW2 fans into one catagory.. you are talking about a select couple of people who went on other forums and bashed other games.. its basic stereotyping and is pretty sad imho... so basically you are saying all this is retailliation then? pretty sure thats against mmorpg.com's posting policy as well though

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    My hyper-inflated option is more important than yours because mine matters and I'm right because (insert link here) has stats n stuff and since i have stats to back up my opinion it must be right and your opinion is just stupid because your opinion is based on opinion and it's not mine.
  • redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

All the people who made their farewell forum posts stating they will be in GW2 for good are back and resubbed.

All the same reason: Nothing entertaining to do at endgame.

Honestly that was far quicker of a turnaround than when everyone left for SWTOR, at least they stayed gone for a few months and it was like " oh wow your back welcome back"...

Yeah and ive seen some pretty bad fanboi fever but this is crazy.  Especially given how all these GW2 defenders spent the last year or so trashing any and every game over any minor flaw...all of a sudden those flaws in this game are  no big deal and we are the trolls for simply discussing the flaws.

Keep those ad hominem discreting attacks going on people who dont see the light on this game! Always wanted my game discussions more like irrational political arguments where no side will ever budge an inch on any topic!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It was never really considered the second coming, that was a copout used by the haters who were sardonically trying to remove the game as a contender, what it IS tho is a gamechanger for the industry. Here's a company that doesn't rob the people by requiring a sub to line their pockets, that gives a game that's got 80 levels of content with full on dungeons and open world raids. with balanced pvp included right off the bat. and people who are stuck in the ways of 2004 can't seem to handle that. 

But yeah i agree, this game rocks and that's why I'll never look at a subscription again :)

Says who?  

i agree but why do so many people here spend so much time talking about and bashing a game they dislike? seems silly to me.. why not go talk about games you enjoy? being negative all the time is bad for your health haven't you heard? :)

It's because of threads like this and the condenscending nature of the posters.  It's like people are trying to convince others that they're wrong for not liking GW2.  It's also the big topic atm.

Everytime someone makes a thread which details what they don't like about the game.  Bam, within 10 seconds you have someone posting some sarcastic remark about how their opinion means nothing and they should go "play with pandas" or something along those lines.  Despite how fair the OP was.

Now you wanna tell me this game is perfect, with all the current Anet probs etc etc that the game is a masterpeice?....It hasn't been out a week!!!!!!!!

f'ing infuriating.

Also, I don't buy that bullcrap about this website being some kind of pit of evil, filled with negativity....  People here are generally polite, well mannered, well reasoned and most importantly, very critical.  It is also quite well moderated.  If you think this site is bad you must be new to the internet.  This site is great at gathering the point of view of the slightly older, more articulate gamer.  Nothing negative about that.  You can't just arbitrarily state that this site is negative, debunking certain threads, just because you don't agree with some opinions.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Says who?  

love how you guys lump all GW2 fans into one catagory.. you are talking about a select couple of people who went on other forums and bashed other games.. its basic stereotyping and is pretty sad imho... so basically you are saying all this is retailliation then? pretty sure thats against mmorpg.com's posting policy as well though

No, not at all.  The problems being posted about GW2, trade post being down/long WvW ques/account issues etc, are all true and legtimate, though, at times overstated.  Its just comical seeing the responses from the GW2 fans, trying to white knight the games problems.  And sorry, it was WAY more than just a "select couple of people" who would go to other game forums and bash the other MMO while praising GW2.  WAAAY more.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

I find it funny that all these people claiming people are leaving GW2 because of lack of end game are forgetting the reason why GW2 is having issues right now. The sheer millions of players.

They literally had to stop selling the game because there were too many players at once, the systems couldn't handle the load.

That's the REAL reason this game is having any issues at all, it's not due to bad code or failed promises on the part of Anet it's because so many people have begun to play this game that were WAY over the mark of anything even the analysts thought would happen it's become almost impossible to run.

So the next time you naysayers are running around patting each other on the back because you think you're right, just remember why they had to stop selling digital copies. Even SWTOR didn't have to do that. :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Have to agree with the OP.  I've had so many "wow" moments in this game, it's crazy.  I don't do this "honeymoon phase" BS - check my posting history, you won't find me raving about any other MMO, other than maybe DAOC.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by itgrowls

It was never really considered the second coming, that was a copout used by the haters who were sardonically trying to remove the game as a contender, what it IS tho is a gamechanger for the industry. Here's a company that doesn't rob the people by requiring a sub to line their pockets, that gives a game that's got 80 levels of content with full on dungeons and open world raids. with balanced pvp included right off the bat. and people who are stuck in the ways of 2004 can't seem to handle that. 

But yeah i agree, this game rocks and that's why I'll never look at a subscription again :)

Oh so it's not the second coming, it's only the game changer for the entire industry.

ugh you make me face palm.

See how this guy is so condenscending? OH IM JUST STUCK IN 2004 DERP IS ME

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/362617/Poll-Now-that-you-played-it-how-would-you-rate-GW2-against-your-pastcurrent-games.html

Check the first page.

Maybe you can make thread with a poll for how many outright dislike the game?  Masterpiece maybe not, but is it possible to take someone's meaning by that as that they REALLY like the game?  Just like people use the word "Fail" for when they really hate it? Just saying....

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Also, I don't buy that bullcrap about this website being some kind of pit of evil, filled with negativity....  People here are generally polite, well mannered, well reasoned and most importantly, very critical.  It is also quite well moderated.  If you think this site is bad you must be new to the internet.  This site is great at gathering the point of view of the slightly older, more articulate gamer.  Nothing negative about that.  You can't just arbitrarily state that this site is negative, debunking certain threads, just because you don't agree with some opinions.

Now THAT was the funniest thing i have ever read on this website. Dude seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about. There are SOOOOOOOO many posts i could copy paste into this reply alone from ANYWHERE in these threads on any topic  that would prove you wrong about the fantasy that people are so nice on the interweb. I'm sorry but you obviously haven't been paying attention to 85% of the posts on these forums alone if you think for a second that people have been polite or well reasoned. Neither is true of these forums.