Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW 2 - my thought as an old GW1 player focused on PvP

MaldobarMaldobar Member UncommonPosts: 11

Well, this is my personal thoughts my impression and what i think about it.

My background: I came from GW1, played a lot of MOBA like LoL etc.

My biggest fun was GW1 GvG, or HoH. The real strategie to create builds and to execute these. The complete freedom to combine all skills and classes, even skills cross class (Warrior Monk in the beginning of GW..or the golden times of smiters)

And then i started GW2, i listened to no review cause as i actually loved GW1 i was sure, that they put all that made GW1 into GW2 and improve it.

Seriously, i was a little bit shocked as i set my foot in GW2.

I played up to level 30, and i must say, i cannot force my self to login again.

Why:

PVE: i never was a friend of PVE but in GW1 i did it to hunt my Elite Skills

Here: Buttom smashing, i even coded a small program that i can turn on to fire of all my skills as soon as these are ready. In events if u have to defend, i position my char, then turn my 1, 2 3 ..6 macro on and go for something to drink cause if i come back after 5 mins, i have gold on the event (ranger).

Well very soon i could not stant the PVE any more, cause it required at least till level 30 no skill at all except exhaustive buttom smashing with anyone using same skills and weapons.

Exception high, not met, dissapointed.

But i did think, well i am here for PvP anyway, so lets look at this:

Structured PvP matches: Hmm its not a buttom smash in the extend of PVE its a buttom smash of some skills, some u must take off, cause these u need to make the kill. U cannot have these in cooldown, so take these off of the auto.

It feels a bit like a shooter, i mean its okay, i compare it to the 4 on 4 in GW and for this..

Expectation medium, met, okay.

Now the real PvP:

Something you could compare to HoH or GvG:

But shock, wats left? WvW seriously, thats 100 % buttom smash its who has the bigger zerg and does the zerg follow. It has nothing to do for me with skill at all. If you played Lotro in the beginning its in a way smaller zone same feeling.

Expecataion extremly high, not met, very sad.

Overall: After 7 days of GW2 i decided that its not for me. Sad, i had such high expectations, but for me its not what i looked for. For someone else its probably the world, but for people who had played GvG and the Ladder in GW or the HoH and want something like this again...***CRY***

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    I haven't tried the pvp to a full extent. But the maps were one theme of capture points, but the different landscapes made it more enjoyable but still felt average.

My gripe with pve is that the actual content I am Interested in is story and dynamic events and leveling quickly. I felt that pve was too slow to deliver the content I was interested in, since the nice thing about pve is that it would give me more time to experiment with the combat system.

I lost interest fairly quickly as well. I might give it a go to try some epic fights that were shown before like taking down dragons. However, if I get the same feeling of it taking too long, I might pass on that since I would be grinding to just reach DE, or story or certain epic dungeons. I don't want to do that.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Maldobar

My biggest fun was GW1 GvG, or HoH. The real strategie to create builds and to execute these. The complete freedom to combine all skills and classes, even skills cross class (Warrior Monk in the beginning of GW..or the golden times of smiters)

And then i started GW2, i listened to no review cause as i actually loved GW1 i was sure, that they put all that made GW1 into GW2 and improve it.

Why:

Here: Buttom smashing, i even coded a small program that i can turn on to fire of all my skills as soon as these are ready. In events if u have to defend, i position my char, then turn my 1, 2 3 ..6 macro on and go for something to drink cause if i come back after 5 mins, i have gold on the event (ranger).

Well very soon i could not stant the PVE any more, cause it required at least till level 30 no skill at all except exhaustive buttom smashing with anyone using same skills and weapons.

Structured PvP matches: Hmm its not a buttom smash in the extend of PVE its a buttom smash of some skills, some u must take off, cause these u need to make the kill. U cannot have these in cooldown, so take these off of the auto.

It feels a bit like a shooter, i mean its okay, i compare it to the 4 on 4 in GW and for this..

Now the real PvP:

But shock, wats left? WvW seriously, thats 100 % buttom smash its who has the bigger zerg and does the zerg follow. It has nothing to do for me with skill at all. If you played Lotro in the beginning its in a way smaller zone same feeling.

Overall: After 7 days of GW2 i decided that its not for me. Sad, i had such high expectations, but for me its not what i looked for. For someone else its probably the world, but for people who had played GvG and the Ladder in GW or the HoH and want something like this again...***CRY***

Why is it always people with low post counts, typically under 5, that post how bad a popular new game is when it launces ?  its just so strange.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by TyvolusNext

Why:

Now the real PvP:

Why is it always people with low post counts, typically under 5, that post how bad a popular new game is when it launces ?  its just so strange.

I notice the same trend for those posts that praise the game as well.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Pve with a big group can be very easy but alone or with small team your macros won't work. PvP is more like RA and TA in gw1. Im sure they will eventually bring a gvg system.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    ......    Overall: After 7 days of GW2 i decided that its not for me. Sad, i had such high expectations, but for me its not what i looked for. For someone else its probably the world, but for people who had played GvG and the Ladder in GW or the HoH and want something like this again...***CRY***    .......

I have a high post count and agree with 90% of what he said.

GW2 is a fun game, much like Free Realms or Wizard 101 is a fun game.  

It is well polished but sofar the game play to at least 40th is like Multiplayer Super Mario / Gauntlet.

Combat feels like playing an arcade game.  The Action combat is basically WoW blah, with a dodge button.   If you play Tera you will be shocked that GW2 uses the word  "Action".

Such great art but so little immersion, you play half the game staring at your Map/GPS/Radar looking for the next icon to run over to while waiting for something to flash so you can zerg whatever event  is in the area.  For a game that wants to encourage exploring I can't fathom why the would belittle the content and littler the map with a connect the dots Adventuring route.

Character development is very light and the greater majority of all base skills are shared between all classes.   I know they want to innovate out "The Trinity" but all they did was remove it and now everything is homogenized and bland, just lots of Pew Pew from everyone and it feels like the Suckers wasting their time helping others with support skills get shafted in rewards at the end.

PvP is a meh.    it is fun to run around with the Chaotic Zerg in WvW but the capture points have little meaning or persistence.   It is like a never ending Wintergrasp,  towers and tactical objects swap back in forth in minutes and the biggest Zerg that sticks together wins.    No long term ownership,  no real Sieges, walls are down in a minute as the Zerg spills over everrything.... nothing like old DAOC, ShadowBane, Lineage2, Age of Conan or Darkfall where you had a sense of real ownership / impact in things.

I am trying to be critical in my review but there are alot of GREAT things about GW2.

The DE system, besides the obnoxious map highlights, is new and fun.

The Jumping rewards are a interesting idea

Weapon based skills are cool

World vs World vs World is great idea.

Sadly with such a solid game engine and great art and cool ideas, it doesn't pull it together in a why to appeal to an Adult MMO player, instead it feels like the game is targeted to tweens and streamlined so they don't have to try too hard or pay attention to get their empty Fun.   I have a coupe more zones I want to see the art in and then my I will go back to EQ2 or TERA and hand off my account to  my 12 year old neice,  GW2 is a perfect next game after Free Relams.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Why:

Now the real PvP:

im also a GW1 veteran and agree with you, thats the truth about gw2 that some fanboys here dont want to see. 

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    I wonder how long it's going to take before people realize that zerging in WvW is stupid as hell.
  • rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    I wonder how long it's going to take before people realize that zerging in WvW is stupid as hell.

Probably when it stops being successful.  

The current lack of combat complexity and expense / meh damage of Siege equipment doesn't leave alot of options since disorganized Pew Pew Zergs work so well.

• marcelimarceli Member Posts: 20

Now the real PvP: Something you could compare to HoH or GvG:

I wish I had seen this topic earlier! I created very similar one, asking if GW2 is for me, given that I was and still am interested only in PvP like good old GvG. What you wrote makes me sad - I really loved PvP in GW1.

palmiarnia.info

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

See, this is what a valid negative post looks like. It is clear that the post is based on the OP's personal tastes and makes logical points that support his feelings.

However, nothing that the OP found should have been a surprise. We have known for a long time that GW2 was not going to have GvG/HoH. The only thing resembling those modes, tournaments, still have not begun so that part should be reviewed later.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by rutaq
    ......    Overall: After 7 days of GW2 i decided that its not for me. Sad, i had such high expectations, but for me its not what i looked for. For someone else its probably the world, but for people who had played GvG and the Ladder in GW or the HoH and want something like this again...***CRY***    .......

I have a high post count and agree with 90% of what he said.

GW2 is a fun game, much like Free Realms or Wizard 101 is a fun game.  

It is well polished but sofar the game play to at least 40th is like Multiplayer Super Mario / Gauntlet.

Combat feels like playing an arcade game.  The Action combat is basically WoW blah, with a dodge button.   If you play Tera you will be shocked that GW2 uses the word  "Action".

Such great art but so little immersion, you play half the game staring at your Map/GPS/Radar looking for the next icon to run over to while waiting for something to flash so you can zerg whatever event  is in the area.  For a game that wants to encourage exploring I can't fathom why the would belittle the content and littler the map with a connect the dots Adventuring route.

Character development is very light and the greater majority of all base skills are shared between all classes.   I know they want to innovate out "The Trinity" but all they did was remove it and now everything is homogenized and bland, just lots of Pew Pew from everyone and it feels like the Suckers wasting their time helping others with support skills get shafted in rewards at the end.

PvP is a meh.    it is fun to run around with the Chaotic Zerg in WvW but the capture points have little meaning or persistence.   It is like a never ending Wintergrasp,  towers and tactical objects swap back in forth in minutes and the biggest Zerg that sticks together wins.    No long term ownership,  no real Sieges, walls are down in a minute as the Zerg spills over everrything.... nothing like old DAOC, ShadowBane, Lineage2, Age of Conan or Darkfall where you had a sense of real ownership / impact in things.

I am trying to be critical in my review but there are alot of GREAT things about GW2.

The DE system, besides the obnoxious map highlights, is new and fun.

The Jumping rewards are a interesting idea

Weapon based skills are cool

World vs World vs World is great idea.

Sadly with such a solid game engine and great art and cool ideas, it doesn't pull it together in a why to appeal to an Adult MMO player, instead it feels like the game is targeted to tweens and streamlined so they don't have to try too hard or pay attention to get their empty Fun.   I have a coupe more zones I want to see the art in and then my I will go back to EQ2 or TERA and hand off my account to  my 12 year old neice,  GW2 is a perfect next game after Free Relams.

So you compare GW2 to games like TERA and then you say it's for small children. I think this topic has already been settled, but sure have fun with your cute'sy little game, here go 45 sec into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6HjeLA_QGQ

Tell me that isn't PERFECT for your 12 year old niece.

GW2 is amazing for me a 30 year old father with a full time job etc. It takes away every little stupid detail that makes ppl have to grind to be competitive. The sPVP alone has the content value of any FPS, MOBA etc. It's truly skillbased, haven't been able too 1v2 and 1v3 my opponents since AOC(great combat, bad overall game). sPVP also have 100 levels to complete and they are 10x slower than the PVE levels.

WvWvW is only a zerg if you play that way. Personally I love roaming around with a couple of friends picking of strays and assaulting smaller camps and supply. I get smaller DAOC vibes setting up traps on a small bridge and hiding, ambushing people as the pass by.

But it's your opinion, just don't state it like it's fact. GW2 is and adult game in my mind, could have done without the asura but hey can't have everything.