Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proof that ArenaNet's servers most likely compromised

Comments

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by MosesZD

And I'm not buying into the whiners and finger-pointers.   Gamers lie.   Gamers lie all the time.    They cheat, they fail, they buy gold, they use mods and macros.    Then something bad happens and it's always the game company's fault. 

So, I say without solid proof instead of some BS artist on the Internet -- bull.    And it's not a fanboy thing.   It happened in LOTRO, Mabinogi, WoW, Eve Online and every other major MMO I've ever played.   Every single person I've known, or know of, who has been hacked was hacked because they were either stupid with their account information or they were hacked because they were stupid with their gaming decisions (RMT/MODS).   And, sadly, not one single one of these lying crybabies ever tells the truth about what they've done.  

It reminds me of the "I was banned for no reason" only to find out when they posted their account info and ANet looked it up, they were a bunch of homophobic, and racist jerkoffs...

Sounds to me like you've got to get out more if you're surrounded by a bunch of morons who get their accounts hacked into all the time because of their own stupidity.  This is different.  Trust me.  Sooner or later, ArenaNet is going to fess up to the fact that there was a breach in their servers.  This is on top of the fact that they made some pretty bonehead decisions on how they handle email changes and basic security 101 type stuff (like who allows infinite retries for passwords these days?  I thought that type of stupidity in security was stamped out long ago... I guess not.).

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I hope they go ahead and develop an Authenticator app for smartphones as quickly as possible. That'll help calm a lot of nerves, even though I'm not particularly worried.
  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Satarious

A

Sounds to me like you've got to get out more if you're surrounded by a bunch of morons who get their accounts hacked into all the time because of their own stupidity.  This is different.  Trust me.  Sooner or later, ArenaNet is going to fess up to the fact that there was a breach in their servers.  This is on top of the fact that they made some pretty bonehead decisions on how they handle email changes and basic security 101 type stuff (like who allows infinite retries for passwords these days?  I thought that type of stupidity in security was stamped out long ago... I guess not.).

No shit right?  If I were compromised they would of actually got onto the account to begin with.

How the hell did they find out that the email had a gw 1 account that had been doing nothing but pretty much sitting for a long time in the first place?  It's not linked to a master.

A few posts up for a bit more details.  With all the chatter going on I finally decided to see if my GW1 accounts were intact.  Sure enough reset requests on one of them. Both accounts are fine though.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Well, as of Friday (Aug 31st), the hacker could change the email address that your account was attached to EVEN IF they didn't have access to your actual email account.  This is because some bonehead at ArenaNet or NCSoft decided that the email confirmation change should be sent  to the NEW email address being changed to rather than the OLD.  That's why on my end, I only got the email staing that it was already changed without any sort of confirmation.  I'm pretty sure they've realized that idiotic mistake by now, however.

It is funny I liked this game a lot, but they're doing a horrible job at handling the game so far, first they're using reddit to comunicate with customers, when in reality they should've their forums up by now.

Second, what's with the happy trigger on bans, sure they are all justified, however, maybe there are other ways of solving the problem, the other day a guy  (I believe him because I've heard of other people with proof getting banned for some other stupid reasons too) was saying on map chat that his girlfriend got a 72 hour ban for naming her character "Fartface Mcgee", I know stupid name, but even if it is agains't the ToS they could've simply make her change the name and avoid any further issue, makes me afraid of saying anything offensive in the map chat, way too tough.

And third, bunch of people getting hacked, even if it is a small minority getting hacked by their or Anet fault, it doesn't matter because I don't feel my account is secure anymore, also I maybe wrong but I heard that if you got hacked they perm ban your account and you are screwed, again with the happy trigger ban,

Truth or not,They're getting bad PR and it may not affect you but it does to some of us, I was thinking on purchasing some gems to get more character slots and bank slots, but I think I will keep my money for the moment and wait until things settle down.

TL;DR I like the game, I don't like how Anet is handling things.

Edit: I am speaking in general not towards you Satarious hehehe.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Tbh, I think a lot of it comes down to each individual person's computer and password security. I'm currently using an email address that I use for many other things and not once have I gotten hacked. I have recieved password reset emails and I ignore them. I also have a VERY secure password and do not go to sites that will compromise that security. Here's a small tip for people when they set passwords. Have all of the following in your passwords: Uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Oh and make it 10 characters or more. With all these they'd need some VERY strong computers to crack passwords and I feel like gold farmers are very unlikely to possess such machines (If they did, they would give a crap about game accounts). If for some reason they still get it, its probably a keylogger and you have far bigger issues that someone hacking your game account that need to be attended to and if not that you probably went through a phising website which you should probably have checked to make sure it was safe. I know I sound like I'm supporting Anet but I'm not. I'm just telling people to be smart about it. People who post on the net saying, "Oh I never install anything fishy or visited any harmful websites" are just lying to both the forums and themselves and want someone to blame it on. Their servers are definitely not compromised so enough with the conspiracy theory stuff.
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

There were many posts in that link, I read some but not all. Arenanet was indeed searching for any people who had a new email account setuped exclusively for Guild Wars 2 and still received the password reset email. However, did any of the replies actuallly claim that they were such persons?

I am asking because otherwise it just means that Arenanet wanted to rule out that possible scenario.

Or, they could have received "Hacked account" tickets from folks who created new email accounts and wanted to see how widespread that issue was.  Either way, I still think it's something on their end considering how massive this problem has become.

I'm not buying this BS their putting out there about the fault being with OTHER compromised sites.  It just seems to me that they're trying to pass the blame since their massive ego has been built up by all the fanboys thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and that they can do no wrong.

And I'm not buying into the whiners and finger-pointers.   Gamers lie.   Gamers lie all the time.    They cheat, they fail, they buy gold, they use mods and macros.    Then something bad happens and it's always the game company's fault. 

So, I say without solid proof instead of some BS artist on the Internet -- bull.    And it's not a fanboy thing.   It happened in LOTRO, Mabinogi, WoW, Eve Online and every other major MMO I've ever played.   Every single person I've known, or know of, who has been hacked was hacked because they were either stupid with their account information or they were hacked because they were stupid with their gaming decisions (RMT/MODS).   And, sadly, not one single one of these lying crybabies ever tells the truth about what they've done.  

It reminds me of the "I was banned for no reason" only to find out when they posted their account info and ANet looked it up, they were a bunch of homophobic, and racist jerkoffs...

Keep your head burried in sand like an Ostrich and pretend everything is allright. God you are obnoxious. Do you get paid by Anet to defend them and put them in positive light on every given oppertunity? Just yesterday Tadcore brought up this point that it is too quick to put all the blame on the players.

Even i and several others suggested that there could be a loop hole on Anet's side while you, heartless, itgrowls and other usual suspects were flaming people and putting all blame on the players. Forgot what happened with Rift? it turned out later on that fault was on Rift side and all fanboys then had egg on their face.

Don't be so quick in calling players idiots.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

There were many posts in that link, I read some but not all. Arenanet was indeed searching for any people who had a new email account setuped exclusively for Guild Wars 2 and still received the password reset email. However, did any of the replies actuallly claim that they were such persons?

I am asking because otherwise it just means that Arenanet wanted to rule out that possible scenario.

Or, they could have received "Hacked account" tickets from folks who created new email accounts and wanted to see how widespread that issue was.  Either way, I still think it's something on their end considering how massive this problem has become.

I'm not buying this BS their putting out there about the fault being with OTHER compromised sites.  It just seems to me that they're trying to pass the blame since their massive ego has been built up by all the fanboys thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and that they can do no wrong.

"Everyone knows that companies do not make mistakes and everything they do is always perfect, people are just crazy, them hippies complaining about everything" This is probably what is on your mind right now, just because theres a big chance the fault is at the players end doesn't means is not possible that the fault is on Anet end, but you seem pretty convinced that is the peoples fault because you probably know something that the rest of us don't.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

...idk what to think.

I hate hackers. And ANet/NCsoft better to bungle security on their end, either.

The game itself is so great. It would be a shame that damn hackers and a lax security policy makes people wary.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Felheart5Felheart5 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Keep your head burried in sand like an Ostrich and pretend everything is allright. God you are obnoxious.

Indeed, regardless of how much players are to blame Anet/NCsoft has not been providing security standards that I as a customer would expect of them either. Simple as that. They haven't done the best job possible. Hacking is part of MMO life, and its the developers responsibility just as much as it is the players to make sure things are as tight as possible.

I'm really frigging tired of all these fanboys lashing out at any legitimate problem that crops up. Know that you are not doing Guild Wars 2 any service by doing it as it only helps to devide players and create bad blood and reputations that ultimatly hurts GW2 more than anything else.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    Hate the fact that mods let the title stay labeled with "proof" when this is miles away from empirical proof.
  • Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Felheart5
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Indeed, regardless of how much players are to blame Anet/NCsoft has not been providing security standards that I as a customer would expect of them either. Simple as that. They haven't done the best job possible. Hacking is part of MMO life, and its the developers responsibility just as much as it is the players to make sure things are as tight as possible.

I'm really frigging tired of all these fanboys lashing out at any legitimate problem that crops up. Know that you are not doing Guild Wars 2 any service by doing it as it only helps to devide players and create bad blood and reputations that ultimatly hurts GW2 more than anything else.

^ This .. Regardless of where the " hack " happens Anet have seriously been lacking on how they prevent an account being stolen on their end.

Also .. to everyone who posts on Anet's Twitter/Reddit/Facebook thread's .. you are advertising that you own the game .. and we all know Facebook not the most secure site :)

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Back to  the basis of the OP/article. Many or most people use the same email (or emails) over and over. If another game's (or any online source) with enough of a population slice that might contain gamers, spammers will spam.

I get my 'battle net account password changed' on 2 email addresses I use for 'junk' sign-ups which have never had gaming accounts associated.

Originally posted by Digna

Back to  the basis of the OP/article. Many or most people use the same email (or emails) over and over. If another game's (or any online source) with enough of a population slice that might contain gamers, spammers will spam.

I get my 'battle net account password changed' on 2 email addresses I use for 'junk' sign-ups which have never had gaming accounts associated.

To change your password, click the link below.

https://account.guildwars2.com/ (i broke the link for obvious reasons.)

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

--The ArenaNet Team"

x3 on one of my Guild Wars 1 accounts.

They aren't phishing attempts.  ArenaNet / NCSoft turned their password reset feature off for a reason.  Using seperate clean emails isn't some new concept. I'm not saying I didn't slip up at some point. Maybe I did, no one if perfect and if you say you are you are full of it.  The fact that both of my GW 1  accounts have literally been idle minus 2 long ins for a few seconds each for at least a year.

I also had an issue with one of my accounts trying to log in yeserday to check it.     After coming across a post that said the length of passwords was changed to 15.  I was able to get in by leaving out the excess bit of my old pw.  I spent half the day  trying to figure out wtf was going on.  Neither of them have a master account. As far as I know the only way to request a pw reset in this case is through the game client or support ticket. 

I don't hate ArenaNet.  I plan on buying GW2 at some point.  I just think it's silly to totally dismiss that something might be going on.  They figured out that the email was attached to a GW 1 account some how.  They wouldn't of tryed more than one attempt on a password reset if not.   They obviously haven't compromised my machine or they would of had the account.

Edit.  Making sure I broke that dam link.

Edit 2.  Here is another thought actually.  Why is it taking me to Guild Wars 2 site and not the Guild Wars.  Merged account systems for Guild 1 and  2?  Never signed up for Beta. 

To early and I've been up for way to long.. But anways  It's not phishing was just my point..
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by xpiher

I have yet to get these e-mails. So I believe ANET when they say its not on their end. When I get it, then I'll suspect e-mail

ive got 2 email addresses, associated w guild wars for the last 7 years

one email login dates back to 2005 w 8 character password that has never been changed

i know there is an outstanding issue but ive received no emails yet

Originally posted by Nadia

I have yet to get these e-mails. So I believe ANET when they say its not on their end. When I get it, then I'll suspect e-mail

one email login dates back to 2005 w 8 character password that has never been changed

You won't get one at this point.  The reset system has been turned off.  Read the support page.  Only 1 of my two accounts got reset attempts. So it kind of debunks that theory that they found out through me.  Just because you weren't hit by lightening doesn't mean it's not real.

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/

Originally posted by JayBirdz

You won't get one at this point.  The reset system has been turned off.  Read the support page.  Only 1 of my two accounts got reset attempts. So it kind of debunks that theory that they found out through me.  Just because you weren't hit by lightening doesn't mean it's not real.

true but the reset system was working for all players until aug 29

true but the reset system was working for all players until aug 29

Aye,  I guess?  I really don't know.  Don't play GW 2.  I will, just not yet.  As I said though with all the talk of what's been going on decided to check up on GW1 accounts.   1 had attempts while the other didn't.  Both are fine as stated.   The fact that one has attempts and the other doesn't is kind of odd if it were on my end.

Just curious how the hell they figured out one email had a GW account attached to it.  All attempts are dated for the 27. Only found out yesterday when I decided to check the emails for both accounts.

ive read many GW2 hacked complaints

i dont know what the issue is but this very similar to the Diablo 3 launch (May 15)

Blizzard denied ever being hacked and many players were complaining about hacking

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/21/breaking-blizzard-diablo-iii-player-accounts-hacked-items-and-gold-stolen/

Blizzard had a hacking problem but that was 3 months later, unrelated to D3 launch (Aug 9)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Comaf

Sometimes, when I think about how major corporations (think Apple and Samsung, for example) engage in corporate espionage, I come to wonder if video game companies are any different?  This year it was reported that the Iranian nuclear program was slowed a tad by a virus that was delivered aggressively from another country (I'm guessing that was us).

So I wonder if say, Blizzard, might have had some fun with A-Net's servers.  Just a thought ;p)

Hahaha 

Guy at Blizzard - *evil laugh* "I will upload this virus to screw with their servers and piss off all their new players" *evil laugh*

Guy at Anet - "Wtf?!"

Guy at Blizzard - *evil laugh* "This shall give us enough time until MoP is released!" *evil laugh*

Guy at Anet - *sigh*

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What i have noticed is a HUGE Blizzard account hack/phising attempts.

So imo as mentioned by other people,i suspect users are using the same information they used in Wow and possibly other games but Wow would be my best guess.

The last time i played Wow i got an email notice the very next day after only playing for a few hours.I never played the game since and yet i still get emails claiming someone is trying to reset my password.

I know Square Enix has on their login screen that MANY are trying to hack accounts since November last year.

The RMT are a blemish and always will be on gaming.this is why games need to remove all avenues that make their game a RMT target.

I remember many claiming the cash shop and Gems would not be a factor in GW2 but obviously they are.

The reason it is obvious is becuase hackers if the yjust wanted to play for free would not get their account banned .These people are 100% using the accounts for RMT purposes.This means A-Net failed to keep their game from being a target.

Wow is obviously still a HUGE target and why so many people using the same information are having theri accounts stolen.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Satarious Either way, I still think it's something on their end considering how massive this problem has become.

Oh knock it off with the hyperbole.  The % of hacked GW2 accounts is hardly a massive problem.   

Not saying they couldn't do things better on their end, that would be foolish to say that.  And I wouldn't rule out that they are getting the email accounts from anet somehow, though thats not the most likely scenario.  but it could be happening.

But one thing they defnitely are NOT getting from anet is your password.  Either your email password or your gw2 password.  There is still something on your end, either an easy password or a reused one or a virus or keylogger.

Again, they could be handling this a lot better especially since account theft is a something you can't avoid, only mitigate and their mitigation could be better.  But this is nothing even remotely close to as bad as what WoW had to deal with especially during wotlk era.  Were talking probably 1 in 10,000 getting their account stolen here.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Just curious how the hell they figured out one email had a GW account attached to it.  

they don't know.  the only phishing email's ive gotten are to an email address I have no game accounts of any kind signed up to.

Originally posted by teakbois

Just curious how the hell they figured out one email had a GW account attached to it.  

they don't know.  the only phishing email's ive gotten are to an email address I have no game accounts of any kind signed up to.

Not phishing attempts. I've been pretty clear about that, I think.  Not hacked either.  Just odd.  But forget I posted. I more or less started out just to show that whatever the heck was going on wasn't limited to GW 2.  Because I saw someone else saying they had a friend or whatever have the attempts tried on their gw 1 accounts.

I don't know what's going.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Satarious Either way, I still think it's something on their end considering how massive this problem has become.

Oh knock it off with the hyperbole.  The % of hacked GW2 accounts is hardly a massive problem.   

Not saying they couldn't do things better on their end, that would be foolish to say that.  And I wouldn't rule out that they are getting the email accounts from anet somehow, though thats not the most likely scenario.  but it could be happening.

But one thing they defnitely are NOT getting from anet is your password.  Either your email password or your gw2 password.  There is still something on your end, either an easy password or a reused one or a virus or keylogger.

Again, they could be handling this a lot better especially since account theft is a something you can't avoid, only mitigate and their mitigation could be better.  But this is nothing even remotely close to as bad as what WoW had to deal with especially during wotlk era.  Were talking probably 1 in 10,000 getting their account stolen here.

Their mitigation is currently bad because they lack a phone number for direct support and tickets, as of their Sept 1st daily update on game issues, can take up to 72 hours to be answered:

"For hacked accounts, expect a response within 72 hours. As of this writing we're working on tickets submitted August 30. If you submitted a hacked account ticket on August 29 or earlier, and haven't received a response yet, your ticket may not be correctly prioritized. In that case, please submit a new ticket using the above instructions, and in the title write, "Hacked Account - Ticket submitted August 2x - Ticket number xxxxxx-xxxxxx" (fill in the date and ticket number), and we will prioritize your existing (August 29 or earlier) ticket." (Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates)

Also, to who got hacked, there's this basic step-by-step in how to submit a quick ticket - http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9212

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z16qv/new_email_address_getting_a_pw_reset_notification/

It appears that customers who dutifully followed ArenaNet's suggestion to "create dedicated email accounts for GW2" are receiving those "password reset" emails.  If this is the case, that pretty much blows apart their theory that accounts are "being hacked into as a result of farmed accounts from OTHER games".  It seems to me that ArenaNet is trying to avoid responsibility for their own third rate security/authentication system.  In response, this guy hits the nail on the head:

"Has it occurred to anyone that there is a possibility the support website (http://en.support.guildwars2.com/) has been hacked?

Support ticket CMS has a notoriety for this kind of thing.. I'd be careful. DO NOT use your game email / password when registering on their support website!"

This guy is so BUTTHURT about getting his account hacked its not even funny. Talk about a streatch, lmao