Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trading post tax way too high

nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208

I bought 100 bolts of jute at 69c a piece. Total price: 69s

I sell 100 bolts of jute for 80c a piece. Listing fee: 4s (5%) for a total of 76s. Expecting to receive 80s in my pickup bin.

Expected net gain: 7s

Actual money received after all bolts were sold: 72s (expected 80s)

Net gain: -1s

According to my numbers, the trading post takes a whopping 15% of our selling gains. That is way, way too much. 5% (Basically just the listing fee) is fair, imo. But 15 makes doing business on the trading post feel like highway robbery.

As far as I know, this is a recent thing. When the trading post was up a couple of days ago, I was able to flip items for awhile and I made a gold. Today when I tried I actually lost (a small amount of) money.

Comments

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    You don't pay a tax, you pay a listing fee...
  • nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by fundayz
    You don't pay a tax, you pay a listing fee...

If you read my entire post and understood it, you would see that we certainly do.

• TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

Yes, there's 5% listing + 10% sales tax

You can complain It's high, but there's no other alternative, and since ''high'' is a relative term, It's not actually high.

Obviously most won't agree with that :)

Regards

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I personally like the way it is set up.
    Originally posted by Tadzio

You can complain It's high, but there's no other alternative, and since ''high'' is a relative term, It's not actually high.

Regards

Well high is a relative term, but compared to other games and real life economies, 15% is very high. I don't understand the point. Is it simply to discourage item flipping? If so, that's really dumb. This trading post has the capability of supporting one of the greatest in game economies aside from EVE. I think 15% sales tax really hurts it.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

When did the trading post go live? it says it's still down for Maintenance on Blacktide.

• mike43978mike43978 Member Posts: 12

Totally agree with op.  That tax is way too high.  Anyone who has ever made money in an mmo by buying and reselling for profit (a merchant) knows with that high of a tax it becomes much more difficult.  Often times we only expect a few silver in profit per stack resell.  The current tax disallows this which will end up generating higher prices once the merchants of the game get a good gold foundation.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    It may be intentional, to limit market manipulation or just a solid way to drain gold from the economy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm glad to see this post.  It means we've near exhausted everything we can bitch about in GW2.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

When did the trading post go live? it says it's still down for Maintenance on Blacktide.

About 50% of the players have the trade post available now. ANet is rolling it out slowly to make sure it's stable.

@OP - I kinda agree with you. Makes you wonder if selling certain items (mastercraft and below) are even worth to place on the trading post at all :S

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by nine56

Well high is a relative term, but compared to other games and real life economies, 15% is very high. I don't understand the point. Is it simply to discourage item flipping? If so, that's really dumb. This trading post has the capability of supporting one of the greatest in game economies aside from EVE. I think 15% sales tax really hurts it.

1. Diablo 3 also has 15%. No one complains about that.

2. Is this your first MMO? Have you never heard of a gold sink?

3. Is that a fact?

4. tl;dr of thread. Your title should read "I THINK the trading post tax is way too high".

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

This is only an issue because most people are fairly stupid and are just listing items just above the vendor sell amount. Meaning that really they are geting less than than they would if they vendored it. Then people start matching or undercuting them.. there's literally hundreds of items on that trading post that result is less coin than seling them to a vendor.

Players are doing this because you can list from anywhere. Instead of vendoring they are sticking them as quick sales on the TP at vendor price to free up inventory space. It's rediculous.

They need to remove the ability to sell items on the TP from anywhere. It's really messing up the ingame economy. If you want to vendor something.. vendor it. Don't mess up the trading post, there's plenty of lower level players that wouldn't vendor it or sell it at vendor prices.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Prehaps it's setup so people craft and quest for items to sell and not to play the market like a stock broker. Still waiting for it to come up for me.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It may be intentional, to limit market manipulation or just a solid way to drain gold from the economy.

Yes, "buying low" and "selling high" is now considered to be the big bad evil "market manipulation", right?

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

IMO it is fine, the sales fee is only charged when the sale is effectively made (10%).

I think it will be too hard to manipulate the economy when the trading post is linked across all servers, it doesn't seem to be their objective, they actually went very far to make this unified trading post so it seems they want their economy as simple as possible for the player and not some EVE system where you can actually make your earnings by hauling goods.

Anyway, it seems like a 15% minimum fluctuation for someone to start profiting from buying and selling is their fair number.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yes, "buying low" and "selling high" is now considered to be the big bad evil "market manipulation", right?

You can still 'buy low' and 'sell high' with 15% 'taxation'.  You could do this with even higher tax rate.

It will just be harder.  Who said 'easier' and lower cost for trading = better (for computer video game very simple trading system)

Originally posted by Tanon

1. Diablo 3 also has 15%. No one complains about that.

2. Is this your first MMO? Have you never heard of a gold sink?

3. Is that a fact?

4. tl;dr of thread. Your title should read "I THINK the trading post tax is way too high".

1. Diablo 3 doesn't have static itemization. Everything is random, there trade profits are much easier to make by using the right search filters. I made millions from item flipping on D3.

2. Not my first MMO.

3. No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion. Where on the forum rules does it rule that I can only state facts?

4. The term "too high" implies opinion. You shouldn't have clicked on this thread if you were expecting information that was true/false oriented.

Originally posted by Ocenica
    I'm glad to see this post.  It means we've near exhausted everything we can bitch about in GW2.

The trading post being set up the way it is was one of the things I was looking forward to most. The fact that I can study and utilize the market means it's quite robust. It's one of the better parts of this game, though much overlooked. I have the right to complain about it.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

It comes up so people can see what things are selling for then they shut it down hoping people will buy gems with real money and convert it to gold so they can buy that item they saw while the AH was up. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Tadzio

Regards

IMO, it should be much higher like 30%.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

1. Diablo 3 doesn't have static itemization. Everything is random, there trade profits are much easier to make by using the right search filters. I made millions from item flipping on D3.

2. Not my first MMO.

3. No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion. Where on the forum rules does it rule that I can only state facts?

4. The term "too high" implies opinion. You shouldn't have clicked on this thread if you were expecting information that was true/false oriented.

1. Where in real life can you just see underpriced items, flip them, and make good money from it? Unless you earn your living through this method, I don't know why you expect it to be an automatic "feature" of MMOs.

2. Then where is the problem with gold sinks?

3. Point taken, but posting opinions on a forum that has no connection with Anet won't get you anywhere. You're either just QQing for the sake of QQing or genuinely have no idea how MMOs operate.

4. "Too high" can be based on something entirely objective. If teleporting cost 500g a go, then that is objectively too high because no one would ever use it. That's beyond the point of discouraging something, since you might as well not have it in the game. However, the trading post operates just fine with a 15% cut, and smart people can still flip for profit. There's nothing "too high" that completely removes the purpose of the trading post.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

From the immortal Carpenter's.... "It's only just begun"

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Gaborik

It comes up so people can see what things are selling for then they shut it down hoping people will buy gems with real money and convert it to gold so they can buy that item they saw while the AH was up. 

How would they buy the item that was on the AH that is now shut down...

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I see people will still blindly defend everything it does horribly and ignore valid points as well.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Reizla

About 50% of the players have the trade post available now. ANet is rolling it out slowly to make sure it's stable.

@OP - I kinda agree with you. Makes you wonder if selling certain items (mastercraft and below) are even worth to place on the trading post at all :S

Betas made ton of money... the problem now is that shittards who have no brain are posting items at vendor sale price.  The market is completely foobared atm price wise.