Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the big LIE

Comments

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by sleepr27
    Originally posted by rojo6934

remove the subscription in Swtor and i will go back to it. I like the game, but hate the sub. Ill see when it goes freemium how bad the free limitations will be. It is an ok wow clone and dont get me wrong, i love wow clones because they play like WoW. But saying that Swtor is similar to GW2 is wrong. Quests in swtor might activate like you said but they are not dynamic. Swtor launch was far worst than GW2's. GW2 launch was not perfect but was the smoothest launch in AAA mmos in a while, at least for me that only played at launch the most recent sub based mmos like Rift, Swtor, Tera, TSW, DCUO, maybe im forgetting one or two here.

So yeah, back on topic, take Swtors subscription off and dont add stupid limitations to free players, then ill go back to it.

B2P FTW

SWTOR launch was worse than GW2?! really?! where have you been? GW2 is the worst launch i've been part of and i've been in many. The servers went down for a few hours in august 25, the AH it's still NOT WORKING after one week, the guild/party/chat systems were broken for several days and they are still not 100% atm.

The overflow was nice for the first 2 days, instead of waiting in queue you played while you're waiting to enter the real server, but then came the other problem... you wanted to play with you friends and most times you couldn't because every time you switched to a new zone you could end up in the overflow or in the real server and get separated from you friends. Yes, i know there is an option in the game that allows you to join your friend, but it's also broken.

The security in this game is zero! Yes, zero! People can hack your account, switch account names and you will only receive one email saying "your account name was changed". Shall we get on to customer support?  i saw one guy that had lag while using the shop to buy an item, he ended up getting 3 items, he contacted customer support and basically they told him "too bad, next time have a little more patience". Another guy got  hacked and got all chars deleted, he asked support if they could restore the chars, they said "unfortunately we can't do a rollback".

This game is having problems with almost every system, i don't understand how people defend arenanet and this launch. I don't care if it doesn't have a monthly fee, i paid for the game i want a quality service... i love the game but arenanet went from top to bottom in my opinion.

I'm not even going to speak about the exploiting and how they are handling the situation.

SWTOR launch was away better than this.

EDIT: Yesterday i waited 2 and a half hours to enter WvW, i gave up.... when i saw guys from my guild who queued up later enter the game ahead of me. Broken queue is broken.

I have had no problems with GW2 launch other than those relating to servers being over-loaded. Are you on a Eu or Us server? 

Security is a personal issue. People are logging into phishing websites and losing their information to hackers. Hardly the fault of a developers.

The entire "system" failure as you have described it all revolves around way to many people trying to play on servers not setup for the population. Login, trade, mail, and guild systems are all related, and that is dealing with the servers and how they are interconnected. 

I'm playing in EU and it's really disappointing that after at least 6 months of closed beta testing, 3 beta weekends and a ton of stress tests (around 15 or so)  the game is broken beyond believe. Don't get me wrong, i love the game - even though i still don't know if im going to stick with it for a long time -  but the service they are providing is really poor, one of the worst i've seen to be honest. 

I know the servers are getting hammered, but it's their fault. They knew how many bought the game for headstart, they should have guessed that a ton of people would be buying it after. Basically they slacked, they thought they were OK to go and in my opinion so far it has been a disaster.

Im not hating, i'm not just blind like some people who are fans and everything is OK for them. I've heard things like, "It's ok, it doesn't have a monthly fee", "good job arenanet", "awesome launch". I was astonished to read such things, come guys, we paid for the game we deserve a better service! Monthly or no monthly fee, doesn't matter... a MMO it's not just a game it's a service.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop.

Funny, I'd happily pay a sub for Gw2, but wouldn't play TOR, even if they paid me.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

remove the subscription in Swtor and i will go back to it. I like the game, but hate the sub. Ill see when it goes freemium how bad the free limitations will be. It is an ok wow clone and dont get me wrong, i love wow clones because they play like WoW. But saying that Swtor is similar to GW2 is wrong. Quests in swtor might activate like you said but they are not dynamic. Swtor launch was far worst than GW2's. GW2 launch was not perfect but was the smoothest launch in AAA mmos in a while, at least for me that only played at launch the most recent sub based mmos like Rift, Swtor, Tera, TSW, DCUO, maybe im forgetting one or two here.

So yeah, back on topic, take Swtors subscription off and dont add stupid limitations to free players, then ill go back to it.

B2P FTW

SWTOR launch was worse than GW2?! really?! where have you been? GW2 is the worst launch i've been part of and i've been in many. The servers went down for a few hours in august 25, the AH it's still NOT WORKING after one week, the guild/party/chat systems were broken for several days and they are still not 100% atm.

The overflow was nice for the first 2 days, instead of waiting in queue you played while you're waiting to enter the real server, but then came the other problem... you wanted to play with you friends and most times you couldn't because every time you switched to a new zone you could end up in the overflow or in the real server and get separated from you friends. Yes, i know there is an option in the game that allows you to join your friend, but it's also broken.

The security in this game is zero! Yes, zero! People can hack your account, switch account names and you will only receive one email saying "your account name was changed". Shall we get on to customer support?  i saw one guy that had lag while using the shop to buy an item, he ended up getting 3 items, he contacted customer support and basically they told him "too bad, next time have a little more patience". Another guy got  hacked and got all chars deleted, he asked support if they could restore the chars, they said "unfortunately we can't do a rollback".

This game is having problems with almost every system, i don't understand how people defend arenanet and this launch. I don't care if it doesn't have a monthly fee, i paid for the game i want a quality service... i love the game but arenanet went from top to bottom in my opinion.

I'm not even going to speak about the exploiting and how they are handling the situation.

SWTOR launch was away better than this.

EDIT: Yesterday i waited 2 and a half hours to enter WvW, i gave up.... when i saw guys from my guild who queued up later enter the game ahead of me. Broken queue is broken.

I aint seen no problems, my hole durn geeld is playin with no troubles. It's LOL funny, I didn't know the GW2 forum was open, Gerrrrr derp, it is ***here***, that's where we are is here.

What instances, I have seen 12.7% less instancing than SWto ble bla bla, stories are better because in this game they are less bad and with more good.

Amazing but pointless, there are thousands of posts all over this forum, with gut wrenching cries of no UI and I hate Taris, stories are dumb, gear is stupid and on and on.

But if there is no sub, ahhhhh smooth sailing.

So, basically, you expected everyone to overlook your blatant misinformation and just rail against GW2? Ok, sounds like a plan.

What's that smell in this room?

Didn't you notice it, rdrpappy?

Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?

These GW2 players are thirty-year-old kids. Soon they'll be fifty-year-old kids. Pretendin' they're hearin' cheers when there ain't any. Dreamin' and gamin' their life away. Heroes in the real world live twenty-four hours a day, not just two hours in Ascalon. Mendacity!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I have had no problems with GW2 launch other than those relating to servers being over-loaded. Are you on a Eu or Us server? 

Security is a personal issue. People are logging into phishing websites and losing their information to hackers. Hardly the fault of a developers.

The entire "system" failure as you have described it all revolves around way to many people trying to play on servers not setup for the population. Login, trade, mail, and guild systems are all related, and that is dealing with the servers and how they are interconnected. 

I'm playing in EU and it's really disappointing that after at least 6 months of closed beta testing, 3 beta weekends and a ton of stress tests (around 15 or so)  the game is broken beyond believe. Don't get me wrong, i love the game - even though i still don't know if im going to stick with it for a long time -  but the service they are providing is really poor, one of the worst i've seen to be honest. 

I know the servers are getting hammered, but it's their fault. They knew how many bought the game for headstart, they should have guessed that a ton of people would be buying it after. Basically they slacked, they thought they were OK to go and in my opinion so far it has been a disaster.

Im not hating, i'm not just blind like some people who are fans and everything is OK for them. I've heard things like, "It's ok, it doesn't have a monthly fee", "good job arenanet", "awesome launch". I was astonished to read such things, come guys, we paid for the game we deserve a better service! Monthly or no monthly fee, doesn't matter... a MMO it's not just a game it's a service.

So you would rather have them setup 200 extra servers only to shut them down in a couple weeks. I for one hate every title that does this. Rift, SWToR, Aion, all closed and consilidated servers. Not a big deal unless you are part of a guild. It destroys the work done building it up when you have to move to another server. Lets just stick with the problems that are here right now with GW2 and in a week or two the "excitement" will be over and the players that want to be part of the game will be playing, and the ones just checking it out on occasion will do just that. 

I really don't like discussing another game on a forum not setup for it. I am not sure why the OP titled it in such a way that it would become controversial here.

edit: snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• lisaroblisarob Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Well for you lad you get a gold star and now have to play another game see ya
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    edit: deleted

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    SWTOR got a nickname TORTANIC for a reason... 'nuff said.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77

GW2 is heavily instanced, very solo oriented, very story driven and all of the other things this game has been mauled for. what a bunch of hypocrits.

K Bye

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

These GW2 players are thirty-year-old kids. Soon they'll be fifty-year-old kids.

Er...already there.  What am I supposed to be doing, again?

Oh yeah, mendacity.  Okay then.  I'll try to remember, I forget things so easily these days...what were we talking about?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

B2P FTW

GW2 DE are not really Dynamic, is more like a zone quest with a timer, and the hearts are pretty much a quest, you have the text telling you what to do in the upper right corner on the screen, and you can only do it once, is a quest.  GW2 is a temepark, and heavily instanced, even more than swtor. 

SWTOR lauch was great, i dont remember any mayor problem or bug but queue times at some point. GW2 launch, was just Bad, 1 week, and they still have a lot unfixed bugs, and im not even talking about all the acc hacking problems, exploits, ingame hack etc. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    GW2 is a temepark, and heavily instanced, even more than swtor. 

No MMO is more heavily instanced than SWTOR.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    I believe that the title of this post can be applied to the OP.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum. Almost as many times as I have read the phrase "I skipped the planets and the stories" by those same people right here.

GW2 is a decent game, despit the constant denial of any bugs or glitches by the very dishonest fans, the game has had a less than smooth launch but not horrid.

But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop. It is another solid THEMEPARK game and has quests that auto initiate when you get close to the right areas.

GW2 is heavily instanced, very solo oriented, very story driven and all of the other things this game has been mauled for. what a bunch of hypocrits.

There isn't much room for discussion since what you've asserted isn't very accurate.

I don't see many people denying any bugs, so I'm not sure where you are going with that.  ArenaNets security wasn't so hot, but the cause was users not protecting their "unique" password, and practicing poor internet security with phising attempts?  Unless you can link me an article that ArenaNet data centers were hacked.  Nevertheless, I think more people are complaining about security than denying a problem exists (ArenaNet needs a Rift/WoW coin lock & WoW/SWTOR/EQ authenticator system also).  The broken AH listed elsewhere in this thread isn't being denied either.  But I think the general consensus is that people will want a nice AH experience, and not a shoddy one, such as done by EA with SWTOR.

There are alot of differences between GW2 and SWTOR, but I won't go into them all since they were already mostly mentioned.  However I would say the #1 difference for me is that GW2 uses a fast optimized engine, and SWTOR uses a 3rd rate engine by EA programmers who thought they could modify the Hero Engine, and ended up butchering it instead.  Mutilating it so badly, in fact, that Hero will not support it.  GW2 takes less than a minute to load from clicking it's icon to the actual game, all steps combined.  SWTOR .. umm a couple minutes to get to the character screen, then another couple minutes to load a zone, which SWTOR apparently loves to do.  Everytime you tie you shoe in SWTOR there is another loading screen.

The cashshop is optional, and I don't see much need for me to have anything that is currently offered, outside maybe buying new character slots (beyond the initial 5) at some later date.

SWTOR takes the cake when it comes to instancing, so what you said was essentially baseless.  There are instances for character stories, but 1 every couple levels on average I suppose.  In SWTOR I spent my time playing going from one instance to the next, with a few brief interludes in-between to kill 20 droids or hang out on the fleet and stare at the ceiling.

Now I wanted to enjoy SWTOR, as sci-fi / sci-fantasy would be more up my alley .. but the game just flat out stinks after getting 1 character to 50.  Creating alts was a sickening experience for me - I got an alt to 25'ish and just outright unsubscribed.  Speaking of lying, have fun paying for Makeb, since content was declared as free long ago.  "SWTOR subscriptions have not decreased", then the next day, "Subscriptions are down 400k this quarter".  Enjoy having stuff ripped from major patches at the last moment, like Rated Battlegrounds/Warzones. .. Illum will be epic, and we will add a future feature for players to use the combat vehicles there .. Mmm delicious.  Secret Space Project, SGRA ... oh yeah faster content, how could I forget that beauty.

Now if SWTOR drastically improves, I'll consider it again.  But for now, posts like yours got me curious to check out GW2 and buy it.  So if you are trying to advertise for GW2 you are doing a great job :)  ..   because praising SWTOR makes you lose credibility, and gamers will try to disassociate themselves from you :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Anyone who plays GW2 knows that only time you solo are when you are in personal storyline or while crafting, and gathering.

In GW2 you are always..i repeat always in group by default. OP you didn't even play the game did you?

This is such a bs lie. You re not actually in a group, it s just people with a common goal. Do they give a shit you re even there, nope, so it means nothing of a group mechanic. Sure some will try and make it more group orientated, but in the end it s really just a chaotic mass mess. Fun for some, not for others.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum. Almost as many times as I have read the phrase "I skipped the planets and the stories" by those same people right here.

GW2 is a decent game, despit the constant denial of any bugs or glitches by the very dishonest fans, the game has had a less than smooth launch but not horrid.

But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop. It is another solid THEMEPARK game and has quests that auto initiate when you get close to the right areas.

I was one of those people who predicted fall of SWTOR months before it was launched.

But I also said all the time - launch B2P and SWTOR will be raging sucess.

GW2 is overall better game but SWTOR is Star Wars ...

But they went for greed and launched P2P , so Game Over

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Deto123

Anyone who plays GW2 knows that only time you solo are when you are in personal storyline or while crafting, and gathering.

In GW2 you are always..i repeat always in group by default. OP you didn't even play the game did you?

This is such a bs lie. You re not actually in a group, it s just people with a common goal. Do they give a shit you re even there, nope, so it means nothing of a group mechanic. Sure some will try and make it more group orientated, but in the end it s really just a chaotic mass mess. Fun for some, not for others.

Not really...even if you aren't officially grouped with players, all your buffs and healing still affect them.  The only thing grouping does is give you a chat channel, show you health bars, and show you map location.  That's really it.  There is no reason to officially group in gw2 for de's when the unofficial groups work fine.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

What do you do when you joina party? you work toward a commong goal. Only because you don't see players in your parties doesn't mean you are not in one. I think you would have been more comfortable if like Rift and WAR, one huge raid screen cluttered your screen showing names of all the players .

Don't be too hasty in calling BS when you have no idea how grouping works in GW2.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not true, GW2 is more social and are way better prorammed than TOR, those are the real differences between failure and success.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

What do you do when you joina party? you work toward a commong goal. Only because you don't see players in your parties doesn't mean you are not in one. I think you would have been more comfortable if like Rift and WAR, one huge raid screen cluttered your screen showing names of all the players .

Don't be too hasty in calling BS when you have no idea how grouping works in GW2.

I have a good clue how it works. Played WAR and Rift, and theres a hell of alot more order and grouping amongst each other the GW2 by a long shot from what I ve experienced. Big raid screen cluttered on my screen, nope, it s called ui cusomiztion. No one and I mean no one even tried to rezz anymore, knowing dps is where it s at, as far as contribution. My guild of 25+ all thought the same thing, so i m not the only one. As I said fun for some, not for others.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I have a good clue how it works. Played WAR and Rift, and theres a hell of alot more order and grouping amongst each other the GW2 by a long shot from what I ve experienced. Big raid screen cluttered on my screen, nope, it s called ui cusomiztion. No one and I mean no one even tried to rezz anymore, knowing dps is where it s at, as far as contribution. My guild of 25+ all thought the same thing, so i m not the only one. As I said fun for some, not for others.

Your own experince is not universal for all of us.

In my case i prefer the clean look of GW2, i don't need my screen cluttered with useless information. And since there are no tanks and heals i don't need all the fancy UI stuff either. As far as reviving is concrend i revive a lot of players as they are clearly visible on map and mini map. Mybe i am lucky to be on a server where players work together and help each other out. i don't need party screen to tell me i am in party, the way grouping works in GW2 it is quite self explanatory.

My Guild of 100+ agree with me and think the same so i am not the only one. (My dad can beat your dad). 

/chuckles

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

When comparing SWTOR to GW2 the key difference, as some have touched on, is the subscription.

SWTOR - 2.4M through sales. Highest continuing sub number EA reported: 850k. (The just about half of 1.7M comment).

Assume that 850k continue subscribing through to Dec when the game goes F2P. Allowing for the included 30 days and the free month - lets call it 10 months of subs. And - again being generous - assume they all pay $15 a month for a total of $150.

So the sub revenue - absolute tops - is qual to the cost of buying 2.5 copies of GW2 say 850k x 2.5; 2.1M say.

So if GW2 sells 2.4M + 2.1M ... and maybe round it up to 5M to allow for extra SWTOR sales then GW2 will take in more revenue than SWTOR from sales + subs. (Profit is different).

5M sales likely? Considering the tens of millions that GW1 sold + the expansions I reckon so.    

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Let me know when you get to explore in TOR like you do in Gw2.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

And now anyone who's played the game knows that you haven't. =]

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Take what I say with a grain of salt.  By level 30 in SWTOR I wanted to pull my hair out and was already of the sick of the game.  I just hit 40 last night on my first character in GW2 and I cannot wait to play more.  The crafting and pvp are on another level in GW2, something which SWTOR lacked in.  Not too mention I actually didn't care about the stories in SWTOR whereas I find the GW2 story more interesting...and I am a hardcore Star Wars fan.  Like I said just opinions and I am not going to go into a detailed comparison between the games.

For me the payment model had nothing to do with it.  Hell I only made it two months in SWTOR so it's not like I spent a lot on the sub.  The game was just uninspried drivel...for me at least.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The red part of your comment is a flat out lie.

This discussion has been closed.