Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the big LIE

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum. Almost as many times as I have read the phrase "I skipped the planets and the stories" by those same people right here.

GW2 is a decent game, despit the constant denial of any bugs or glitches by the very dishonest fans, the game has had a less than smooth launch but not horrid.

But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop. It is another solid THEMEPARK game and has quests that auto initiate when you get close to the right areas.

GW2 is heavily instanced, very solo oriented, very story driven and all of the other things this game has been mauled for. what a bunch of hypocrits.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

remove the subscription in Swtor and i will go back to it. I like the game, but hate the sub. Ill see when it goes freemium how bad the free limitations will be. It is an ok wow clone and dont get me wrong, i love wow clones because they play like WoW. But saying that Swtor is similar to GW2 is wrong. Quests in swtor might activate like you said but they are not dynamic. Swtor launch was far worst than GW2's. GW2 launch was not perfect but was the smoothest launch in AAA mmos in a while, at least for me that only played at launch the most recent sub based mmos like Rift, Swtor, Tera, TSW, DCUO, maybe im forgetting one or two here.

So yeah, back on topic, take Swtors subscription off and dont add stupid limitations to free players, then ill go back to it.

B2P FTW

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

GW2 is heavily instanced, very solo oriented, very story driven and all of the other things this game has been mauled for. what a bunch of hypocrits.

k

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    It also has no subscription and isn't nearly as corridor like or with the tiny zones like SWTOR has.
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum.

wait so the guild wars 2 forums are up?

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by ubermut

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum.

wait so the guild wars 2 forums are up?

Nope

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

GW2 is a decent game, despit the constant denial of any bugs or glitches by the very dishonest fans, the game has had a less than smooth launch but not horrid.

I haven't met anybody that says the game has no bugs or glitches.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum. Almost as many times as I have read the phrase "I skipped the planets and the stories" by those same people right here.

But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop. It is another solid THEMEPARK game and has quests that auto initiate when you get close to the right areas.

What is sad is that you are calling others dishonet. You know that in GW2 you are solo and still always in group? i will let you figure that one out.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

That last bit there is so utterly wrong, i'm certain you haven't played the game.  You certainly sound as if you are speaking of the first guild wars which was heavily instanced.  Each zone is instanced, with a ton of people playing in all of them.  These zones are so massive that they sure don't feel instanced.  For instance, Blazeridge is the size of three of your beloved ToR planets combined and amazing to look at to boot(Balmora is hideous btw).  The only zone that was remotely amazing in ToR was Voss. The entire world of Tyria dwarfs every planet combined on ToR, the gameplay demolishes Tor's, and the overall launch has been a hell of a lot smoother than you let on.  The only thing ToR has on GW2 is a much better story, but your whole game is based on that.  Sorry, not enough.  We have a real, living world to play in now.  So sad that you are too blind to see it, hater.  So tired of you people.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I, honestly, havent played a game in a long time thats had me fighting alongside other people so much.  TOR, even close to launch, I barely saw more than 3 other people at a time in the quest areas.  Maybe I missed the leveling zerg /shrug.

Not that TOR was 'bad' it just wasnt worth my sub.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Wow, not even close.

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Skymourne

That last bit there is so utterly wrong, i'm certain you haven't played the game.  You certainly sound as if you are speaking of the first guild wars which was heavily instanced.  Each zone is instanced, with a ton of people playing in all of them.  These zones are so massive that they sure don't feel instanced.  For instance, Blazeridge is the size of three of your beloved ToR planets combined and amazing to look at to boot(Balmora is hideous btw).  The only zone that was remotely amazing in ToR was Voss. The entire world of Tyria dwarfs every planet combined on ToR, the gameplay demolishes Tor's, and the overall launch has been a hell of a lot smoother than you let on.  The only thing ToR has on GW2 is a much better story, but your whole game is based on that.  Sorry, not enough.  We have a real, living world to play in now.  So sad that you are too blind to see it, hater.  So tired of you people.

I agree.

he's clearly thinking guild wars 2 is like guild wars 1.

hasn't even taken a look at the game and thinks no one will notice cause he'd have a point if it was gw1...

the zones in gw2 are so huge and filled with always relevant content, even at 80 in a low level zone, that the corridor like zone design of SWTOR looks like a game from the last millenium in comparison.

I think just the area of one zone in  gw2 really is bigger than 3 planets... so much of the "lengthy" feel of the travel times in swtor were done with impassible terrain to make it seem bigger than it was.

real area to quest in or to explore was a joke compared to what just 1 gw2 zone offers.

I spent 3 hours yesterday doing hidden areas and caves in Lion's Arch (one GW2 city). 3 freaking hours. and I had already watched youtube videos that told me where the entrances were.

cause I had not found them in the last stress tests despite hours of looking around.

the "fleet" can be explored in 5 minutes or less.

1 city in gw2 is as big as maybe 50 times the fleet, plus hidden areas with reward chests, witty voiced banter from citiciens and beautiful vistas.

Anyone who plays GW2 knows that only time you solo are when you are in personal storyline or while crafting, and gathering.

In GW2 you are always..i repeat always in group by default. OP you didn't even play the game did you?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Anyone who plays GW2 knows that only time you solo are when you are in personal storyline or while crafting, and gathering.

In GW2 you are always..i repeat always in group by default.

The solo MMO thing doesn't apply to GW2 even then, and it's sad to see bitter SWTOR fans try and call people hypocrites.  Even late at night, I find plenty of people doing things and frankly, if I try some of the events by myself or get surrounded by mobs, the game is not very "solo friendly".  In SWTOR, mobs pretty much stood in the same places every time, you could weave around them - GW2 not so much.  OP has some unresolved issues, but his post is grossly unfounded.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Loved SWToR but it is nothing like GW2. I'm not sure why you are comparing them. 

If you don't like GW2 and/or the fans find something more similar to compare it to. SWToR was suppose to be unique and you have just pulled it in with the same "Themepark" category.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

In GW2 you are always..i repeat always in group by default.

The solo MMO thing doesn't apply to GW2 even then, and it's sad to see bitter SWTOR fans try and call people hypocrites.  Even late at night, I find plenty of people doing things and frankly, if I try some of the events by myself or get surrounded by mobs, the game is not very "solo friendly".  In SWTOR, mobs pretty much stood in the same places every time, you could weave around them - GW2 not so much.  OP has some unresolved issues, but his post is grossly unfounded.

Calling GW2 solo orientied just busted his entire post. 

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

what a bunch of hypocrits.

I just like it better than SWTOR because it's a lot more fun for me.

I'm not lying when I say that. I'm not saying it's a better game, mind you. Just that I like it more. 

So you have fun with your game. Cheers.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Awwww Oooooh Aaaaaw anet had bugs at launch Awwwww Ooooh Aaaaw and they had glithces toooooooo Aaaaaw Ooooow and the fans lied to me also Aaaaaaw Oooooh Aaaaaaaaaaw.

Bye bye cry baby's dont let the door hit you onyour way out /wave

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Wow, not even close.

i think he only played GW1 and wanted to carry the same opinions over to GW2. Heavily instanced and solo oriented made me giggle

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

I agree with you on some points but I still love the game for what it is. People need to dig deeper and find out for themselves whether or not they want to buy these games.

Too many people are falling for hype these days and not putting in the time to disect information. If you don't want to waste money then it's simple, do your own homework and look up information, videos and give it time before going out and instantly purchasing these games.

It's really your own fault for deciding to trust others words over your own gut instinct when it has happened so many times in the past.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by rojo6934

remove the subscription in Swtor and i will go back to it. I like the game, but hate the sub. Ill see when it goes freemium how bad the free limitations will be. It is an ok wow clone and dont get me wrong, i love wow clones because they play like WoW. But saying that Swtor is similar to GW2 is wrong. Quests in swtor might activate like you said but they are not dynamic. Swtor launch was far worst than GW2's. GW2 launch was not perfect but was the smoothest launch in AAA mmos in a while, at least for me that only played at launch the most recent sub based mmos like Rift, Swtor, Tera, TSW, DCUO, maybe im forgetting one or two here.

So yeah, back on topic, take Swtors subscription off and dont add stupid limitations to free players, then ill go back to it.

B2P FTW

SWTOR launch was worse than GW2?! really?! where have you been? GW2 is the worst launch i've been part of and i've been in many. The servers went down for a few hours in august 25, the AH it's still NOT WORKING after one week, the guild/party/chat systems were broken for several days and they are still not 100% atm.

The overflow was nice for the first 2 days, instead of waiting in queue you played while you're waiting to enter the real server, but then came the other problem... you wanted to play with you friends and most times you couldn't because every time you switched to a new zone you could end up in the overflow or in the real server and get separated from you friends. Yes, i know there is an option in the game that allows you to join your friend, but it's also broken.

The security in this game is zero! Yes, zero! People can hack your account, switch account names and you will only receive one email saying "your account name was changed". Shall we get on to customer support?  i saw one guy that had lag while using the shop to buy an item, he ended up getting 3 items, he contacted customer support and basically they told him "too bad, next time have a little more patience". Another guy got  hacked and got all chars deleted, he asked support if they could restore the chars, they said "unfortunately we can't do a rollback".

This game is having problems with almost every system, i don't understand how people defend arenanet and this launch. I don't care if it doesn't have a monthly fee, i paid for the game i want a quality service... i love the game but arenanet went from top to bottom in my opinion.

I'm not even going to speak about the exploiting and how they are handling the situation.

SWTOR launch was away better than this.

EDIT: Yesterday i waited 2 and a half hours to enter WvW, i gave up.... when i saw guys from my guild who queued up later enter the game ahead of me. Broken queue is broken.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Can someone point me to all these instances I'm supposedly playing in? only private instace I've encountered has been my personal storyline, and thats just 1 quest, everything else has been Openworld content.

So please OP tell me where all these instances are, I want to take a look for myself.

Oh and when did the GW2 forums go up because they havent been up since Headstart.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325
    Originally posted by sleepr27

B2P FTW

SWTOR launch was worse than GW2?! really?! where have you been? GW2 is the worst launch i've been part of and i've been in many. The servers went down for a few hours in august 25, the AH it's still NOT WORKING after one week, the guild/party/chat systems were broken for several days and they are still not 100% atm.

The overflow was nice for the first 2 days, instead of waiting in queue you played while you're waiting to enter the real server, but then came the other problem... you wanted to play with you friends and most times you couldn't because every time you switched to a new zone you could end up in the overflow or in the real server and get separated from you friends. Yes, i know there is an option in the game that allows you to join your friend, but it's also broken.

The security in this game is zero! Yes, zero! People can hack your account, switch account names and you will only receive one email saying "your account name was changed". Shall we get on to customer support?  i saw one guy that had lag while using the shop to buy an item, he ended up getting 3 items, he contacted customer support and basically they told him "too bad, next time have a little more patience". Another guy got  hacked and got all chars deleted, he asked support if they could restore the chars, they said "unfortunately we can't do a rollback".

This game is having problems with almost every system, i don't understand how people defend arenanet and this launch. I don't care if it doesn't have a monthly fee, i paid for the game i want a quality service... i love the game but arenanet went from top to bottom in my opinion.

I'm not even going to speak about the exploiting and how they are handling the situation.

EDIT: Yesterday i waited 2 and a half hours to enter WvW, i gave up.... when i saw guys from my guild who queued up later enter the game ahead of me. Broken queue is broken.

I aint seen no problems, my hole durn geeld is playin with no troubles. It's LOL funny, I didn't know the GW2 forum was open, Gerrrrr derp, it is ***here***, that's where we are is here.

What instances, I have seen 12.7% less instancing than SWto ble bla bla, stories are better because in this game they are less bad and with more good.

Amazing but pointless, there are thousands of posts all over this forum, with gut wrenching cries of no UI and I hate Taris, stories are dumb, gear is stupid and on and on.

But if there is no sub, ahhhhh smooth sailing.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

you forgot something on your list: GW2 is the best game in a long time, swtor is utter crap. that makes a difference for some of us - if not for most ;)

Calling GW2 singleplayerish makes me think that youve never played it tho. its the first MMO that stands up to its genre in YEARS.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by sleepr27

B2P FTW

I have had no problems with GW2 launch other than those relating to servers being over-loaded. Are you on a Eu or Us server? 

Security is a personal issue. People are logging into phishing websites and losing their information to hackers. Hardly the fault of a developers.

The entire "system" failure as you have described it all revolves around way to many people trying to play on servers not setup for the population. Login, trade, mail, and guild systems are all related, and that is dealing with the servers and how they are interconnected. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have read the phrase "take your time and enjoy the game" for the one millionth time today over at the Guild Wars 2 forum. Almost as many times as I have read the phrase "I skipped the planets and the stories" by those same people right here.GW2 is a decent game, despit the constant denial of any bugs or glitches by the very dishonest fans, the game has had a less than smooth launch but not horrid.But the only real diference between SWTOR and GW2 is the fact that SWTOR launched with a subscription and GW2 with a cash shop. It is another solid THEMEPARK game and has quests that auto initiate when you get close to the right areas.GW2 is heavily instanced, very solo oriented, very story driven and all of the other things this game has been mauled for. what a bunch of hypocrits.

I've played both games and SWToR is not GW2. If anything, they are the inverse of each other. Where SWToR focused on the class story, GW2 focused on the world. GW2's class story is kind of lame, while SWToR's world stories were kind of lame.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.