Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twin Frozr 7870 2GB OC vs MSI 670 2GB Help

robertjan88robertjan88 Member Posts: 13

I recived my new system yesterday (3770k, 16gb ddr 1600, 128 SSD, 7870 OC). But when in the Human starting area (with the fire and rain etc I just get 30 FPS without the special upscaling Super Sampling in max settings on 1080p. 

With the upscaling I get around 20.

This isn't much if you ask me. How much more fps would I get with a GTX670 2Gb MSI with and without the sampling?

Many thanks!

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I would have gone with a single 7970. I dont really like crossfire or SLI.
  • robertjan88robertjan88 Member Posts: 13
    Single 7970 though this card was a crossfire setup??
  • maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Hey;

Maybe check some things out?

My wife's comp is 

- Core i7 920

- 8gb ram

She gets about 31 FPS in Queensdale at the Shaemoor Waypoint looking at the bridge with like, 5 or 6 people out there.

My comp

- Core i5 2500k

- 8gp ram

- 660ti OC (OC to about 670 peformance levels)

I get about 50 fps standing next to her looking at the same scene.

In game graphics settings on both comps:

- Windowed Fullscreen @ 1080p

- Unlimited Frame

- Animation High

- Anti Aliasing None (don't like the blurry)

- Environment High

- LoD Ultra

- Reflections All

- Textures High

- Sample Native

- Shadows Ultra

- Shaders High

- Post Processing High

- Best TExture Filter checked (with 16af forced in cp)

- Depth Blur Off (don't like the Blurry)

- High REs Character Textures On

- Vertical Sync Off

Supper sampling drops me to 42 and her to 27, but this area does not have a lot of grass.  Moving to the Fields Waypoint I get 53 w/o and 38 with, she gets 41 w/o and 32 with.

As a quick comparision, above settings but with FXAA and Blur:

She 40 w/o and 30 w.  Me 52 w/o and 37 w.

Oh, and she is running cats 12.8 and I'm running 306.02.

We both run with the above settings limited to 30fps by the game and its like butter.  Hope this helps a little.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Which drivers are you using?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    With what you got, you should get a nice playing experience....I suggest using the Auto feature they have in the graphics settings.  I play at 1920x1200 with a 5870 and consistantly get 45fps+...and 60fps with vsync on out in the fields.  The game looks gorgeous on Auto, from there try increasing/decreasing features from there to get the desired fps, or look you want. 
  • robertjan88robertjan88 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to you all!
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121
    always NVidia  its worth the xtra bucks ....670
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Supersampling isn't something you probably want to have turned on. That means your 1920x1080 is really being rendered at double (or quadruple) that resolution, then just scaled back down to fit your monitor.

It is a way of antialiasing, but the game supports FXAA, which provides nearly the same visual effect, but with nearly no performance hit at all. It would be somewhat silly to try to run both at the same time.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

A GeForce GTX 670 is a faster card than a Radeon HD 7870, but it's also more expensive.  But I think the problem is more that you're trying to max settings than the hardware you have.  It's likely that you'd get the game to run much better if you selectively turned down a few things that bring a big performance hit.

Have you considered asking what to buy before making the purchase, rather than after?

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by robertjan88

I recived my new system yesterday (3770k, 16gb ddr 1600, 128 SSD, 7870 OC). But when in the Human starting area (with the fire and rain etc I just get 30 FPS without the special upscaling Super Sampling in max settings on 1080p. 

With the upscaling I get around 20.

This isn't much if you ask me. How much more fps would I get with a GTX670 2Gb MSI with and without the sampling?

Many thanks!

Your setup should give you better performance than you are currently getting. I think there is something else wrong with your computer. Have you tried using different drivers?

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Supersampling isn't something you probably want to have turned on. That means your 1920x1080 is really being rendered at double (or quadruple) that resolution, then just scaled back down to fit your monitor.

It is a way of antialiasing, but the game supports FXAA, which provides nearly the same visual effect, but with nearly no performance hit at all. It would be somewhat silly to try to run both at the same time.

Nah, maybe in other apps but not in GW2.  the FXAA here is horrible at bluring.  As example, if I enable the Control Panel FXAA and then play RIFT you can only notice smoother edges.  You look just at the ground in GW2 and it gets blurred, it gets blurred ALOT near grass.  The FXAA is so bad in GW2 I won't play with it on.

Now SS, yes, I play with that on when I'm out doing my thing.  If I notice some stutter like in WvW I'll turn it off.  SS makes the game look slightly better and the edges are smoother without the blurring of FXAA.