Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if Blizzard ran SWG ?

12345679»

Comments

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Originally posted by grapevine
    Well, if your facts were actualy correct you'd have a valid point. However, while there are a few localized issues with the CU its nowhere near being a broken or is an unbalanced system. In fact it vastly improved SWG. Which amongst those who actually play SWG its commonly accepted.
    As it stands the CU does not have a negative affect on the community, so your point is invalid.

Clicky

Here's a link from my home galaxy of Kettemoor. As you can see there's much love for the CU from people who play the game. ^_^

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by IcoGames

Well, if your facts were actualy correct you'd have a valid point. However, while there are a few localized issues with the CU its nowhere near being a broken or is an unbalanced system. In fact it vastly improved SWG. Which amongst those who actually play SWG its commonly accepted.
    As it stands the CU does not have a negative affect on the community, so your point is invalid.

Clicky

Here's a link from my home galaxy of Kettemoor. As you can see there's much love for the CU from people who play the game. ^_^

Actually the content of that thread (if you read the whole thing) is fairly balanced, leaning towards the indifferent, and for it (as it progressed). Those who do post 100% against, (in general) simply say "it sucks", which is the usual responce from the "god" mode lovers because they can't come up with anything that enforces the pre CU system as not being game breaking.  Although some did have valid points. Both pre and post CU have their pros and cons, but pre-CU the game was completly borked with the general cencus being that at least the CU made it into a game.  So what's your point?

Just not to be biased, some things affecting the game.  Firstly the group XP system, which was an oversight by the devs and has since been enfored to remain (by players).  Secondly level based aggro from mobs.  The later had the greatest affect on game dynatics, as its simply to safe (and easy) for high levels to move around now. Don't see anyone complaining though, although personally hate it.  Also a gripe I have that to solo (at pace) you need at least some medic.  However, that's how it works and it does not affect gameplay.

One of the most common complaints about the CU is that its made combat to much like WoW, which ironically since this very thread is about if Blizzard would run SWG better I find quite amusing.

• Dark_Lord_13Dark_Lord_13 Member Posts: 248

Well, I'm not going to spend 2 hours reading all 100+ responses to this, but here's mine for those of you who read all and keep up.

LucasArts has always had a problem with copying the hottest thing going.  They did it with all of their Star Wars Titles at one time or another;

X-Wing= (insert name of Flight Sim here, Wing Commander comes to mind), Dark Forces= Doom (now a major motion picture ;) ) Galactic Battlegrounds = Warcraft/Age of Empires, Jedi Battles (or whatever the name was) = Mortal Combat/Street Fighter.  Seeing a pattern yet?  So when Star Wars Galaxies came out, they had decided to do an MMO that wasn't reflecting any major MMO on the market yet?  WOW that's Incredible!!  It was great, fans loved it.  Then Sony decided to concentrate on EQ2, and SWG started going downhill.   Then WoW came out.  SWG copied it, and EQ2 busted, not because of WoW but because EQ2 sux.

What LucasArts needs is a schooling on how NOT to copy every major game on the market, but how to try new things and accept failure when it comes.  (unaccepted failure = Force Commander.)

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by Shayde
    Entertainers have been "addressed"
    With lip service and glowsticks.
    They still haven't given them a good role, nor have they addressed that an Entertainer with no puropse in the game anymore still has to devote so many skill points to it, that they are one-shotted in any combat.
    No, It hasn't gotten better. I don't know one highly-talented Entertainer that was able to keep their mastery. They put a stake in their hearts.
    Has someone slept too long and not realized the introduction of the new entertainer buffs into the game ? Making LIVE entertainers one of the most sought after persons in the game ! A live entertainer that can give you the right buff for your profession - something an AFK bot can never do. Not to mention that he can REALLY entertain you with wit, song or dance.
    Or forgotten that MASTER entertainers can easily get at least one MASTER combat profession (CL54+)and use every weapon in the game that is not race or career specific ? One shotted- HAH !
    If you dont know such people, then you should go out more.
    Have fun
    Erillion
    And with that, Shayde is proven wrong once again. Never thought I would say this but YAY ERILLION! Way to go bro.
    Kai

That would be true if CL54 was actually playable, which about 3 people believe is fact. The only way to fix entertainers is to lower the skill point cost.

And the buffs are neglegable.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Originally posted by kaibigan34

Originally posted by Erillion

Entertainers have been "addressed"
    With lip service and glowsticks.
    They still haven't given them a good role, nor have they addressed that an Entertainer with no puropse in the game anymore still has to devote so many skill points to it, that they are one-shotted in any combat.
    No, It hasn't gotten better. I don't know one highly-talented Entertainer that was able to keep their mastery. They put a stake in their hearts.

Has someone slept too long and not realized the introduction of the new entertainer buffs into the game ? Making LIVE entertainers one of the most sought after persons in the game ! A live entertainer that can give you the right buff for your profession - something an AFK bot can never do. Not to mention that he can REALLY entertain you with wit, song or dance.
    Or forgotten that MASTER entertainers can easily get at least one MASTER combat profession (CL54+)and use every weapon in the game that is not race or career specific ? One shotted- HAH !
    If you dont know such people, then you should go out more.
    Have fun
    Erillion

And with that, Shayde is proven wrong once again. Never thought I would say this but YAY ERILLION! Way to go bro.
    Kai

That would be true if CL54 was actually playable, which about 3 people believe is fact. The only way to fix entertainers is to lower the skill point cost.

Buffs are pointless really to any entertainer. Sure 3 crafters might stop in during the day but thats about it. Now lets compare to before CU when we had Mind wounds to be healed...Battle fatigue to be healed, and those nice Mind buffs. Entertainers had a real purpose.

The only complaints really was the afk peeps. Otherwise, cantinas were packed full everywhere and the professions served a purpose.

Go take a look at any cantina right now, they're about as dead as med centers are. On eclipse right now in Theed cantina Im looking at 4 entertainers and nobody watching them.

Seemingly once again the new dev team completely ignores the original dev teams vision of places like shuttlepads, cantinas, and med centers as places to socialize. All 3 are dead now

Originally posted by admriker444
    Originally posted by Shayde Originally posted by kaibigan34Originally posted by Erillion
    Entertainers have been "addressed"With lip service and glowsticks.They still haven't given them a good role, nor have they addressed that an Entertainer with no puropse in the game anymore still has to devote so many skill points to it, that they are one-shotted in any combat.No, It hasn't gotten better. I don't know one highly-talented Entertainer that was able to keep their mastery. They put a stake in their hearts.
    Has someone slept too long and not realized the introduction of the new entertainer buffs into the game ? Making LIVE entertainers one of the most sought after persons in the game ! A live entertainer that can give you the right buff for your profession - something an AFK bot can never do. Not to mention that he can REALLY entertain you with wit, song or dance. Or forgotten that MASTER entertainers can easily get at least one MASTER combat profession (CL54+)and use every weapon in the game that is not race or career specific ? One shotted- HAH ! If you dont know such people, then you should go out more. Have funErillion
    And with that, Shayde is proven wrong once again. Never thought I would say this but YAY ERILLION! Way to go bro.Kai That would be true if CL54 was actually playable, which about 3 people believe is fact. The only way to fix entertainers is to lower the skill point cost.
    Buffs are pointless really to any entertainer. Sure 3 crafters might stop in during the day but thats about it. Now lets compare to before CU when we had Mind wounds to be healed...Battle fatigue to be healed, and those nice Mind buffs. Entertainers had a real purpose.
    The only complaints really was the afk peeps. Otherwise, cantinas were packed full everywhere and the professions served a purpose.
    Go take a look at any cantina right now, they're about as dead as med centers are. On eclipse right now in Theed cantina Im looking at 4 entertainers and nobody watching them.
    Seemingly once again the new dev team completely ignores the original dev teams vision of places like shuttlepads, cantinas, and med centers as places to socialize. All 3 are dead now

Exactly.

If there was a way to be an Entertainer and play the game effectively, my client list of over 100 entertainers would not be down to 6. Either they quit... or had to drop Mastery to be effective in this game. They were the most dedicated professionals that I have ever had the pleasure of playing with... if there was a way, THEY would have found it. They had no purpose. Thay were horribly weak.

I've said it before... and I'm sure 90% of the players would agree... If you're not CL80 you are GIMPED.

I'm sure $OE wanted all the Entertainers to have to buy a combat alt like the crafters did.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by admriker444

Interesting.

Not trying to slam ya as I do not know what server you are on but here is my perception.....

I read what you had to say and actually have to 110% disagree with you. Im in a Cantina as we speek on Naboo and it's packed. Earlier today I was in Mos Eisley and that Cantina was more crowded. I personally checked out what you said about the buffs as well. I have to disgaree with you about this too.

These cantinas are PACKED with crafters and combat professionals. The buffs are awesome. Every major city Ive been to has one packed cantina. I define packed as 14 or mor players in front of the bar.

I talked to a Master Dancer and my wife is playing a Master dancer on StarSider. My wife makes about 100K in tips a night. The buffs are doing very well.

To be honest....and I thought I would have never had said this....but I like the CU. Matter of fact i love it MORE than pre CU

The buffs in post CU are MUCH better than pre CU (my opinion). No longer can people solo 3 rancor and have 10,000 Health, Action, and Mind. Everyone has normal settings except for the MUCH BETTER doctor buffs.

To be honest, I think the CU was actually a good thing. Im starting to see the servers come back to life.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by IcoGames

Clicky

looks 50/50 to me

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

On the subject of entertainers, they are lower numbers than pre-CU.  There is no avoiding that, but you need to factor in a few things.

Firstly pre-CU the majority of entertainers where buff bots.  Secondly initially the CU gutted entertainers, so a lot used their respec to change professions.  I personally did this, as being an entertainer was at that time pointless for anything but roleplaying.  Thirdly the new buff system hasn't been in for that great a length of time, but it can be clearly seen that from visiting cantinas that their numbers are up.  In fact some cantinas are now actually busier than they were pre-CU.  Mos Eisley, especially.

Right now, with the new buff system entertainers are more flexible in what they can do than ever before and they are very much appreciated. 

Also on a side note, being CL54 is extremely viable.  Most quests are geared for that level range.  Also if you group with a higher level the only difference will be the amount of HP you have (I believe 2/3 of a cl80).  Defences and damage output will be the same, due to the "Sidekick" system and CL54 being a master of one elite combat profession.

Firstly pre-CU the majority of entertainers where buff bots.

Not on Intrepid, thank God. We had at least a 10-1 ratio on ATK to AFK.

Guess that's why we were raped so hard with the CU.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Firstly pre-CU the majority of entertainers where buff bots.

Not on Intrepid, thank God. We had at least a 10-1 ratio on ATK to AFK.

Guess that's why we were raped so hard with the CU.

In that case Intrepid was completly against the norm.  I honestly find your statement hard to believe, but I've never played on that server.
  •  22 pages? LOL! of what?

Looks like the topic starter fooled everyone!

He titled this thread "What if Blizzard made SWG" meaning Blizzard vs SoE/LucasArts.

I 100% KILLED off the main subject of this tread here:

http://mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/171/loadthread/52695/loadforum/433/loadclass/103

Now everyone let this die. And to the thread starter, how many new rants vs SWG are you going to make? Do you still play SWG? WHY WHY WHY WHY?

Originally posted by Shayde Originally posted by grapevineFirstly pre-CU the majority of entertainers where buff bots. Not on Intrepid, thank God. We had at least a 10-1 ratio on ATK to AFK.
    Guess that's why we were raped so hard with the CU.In that case Intrepid was completly against the norm. I honestly find your statement hard to believe, but I've never played on that server.

Oh, it was a paradise. I made my living off booking talent for different player run gigs. I even had a band tour the galaxy for a million a concert (back when a million WAS something). Weddings.. parties... even hunting group bookings.

Even had a battle of the bands, heck we had 4 of them. Top prize at the last one was 100 million creds. Intrepid Jam Bonanza. Quite a show. I had well over 100 Entertainers represented, and the ONE rule was NO AFK. They were some of the best roleplayers and dedicated performers I've ever known.

Groovefest... there were like 6 of them. Weekend long server parties with the best vendors, and mostly music. PVP events, fishing tourneys, Batlebots, swoop races, Comedy Night (I won the first one). Han Solo was at one of them... followed shortly by an imperial invasion to catch him.

SEA... Shayde's Entertainment Agency. I had to book a LOT of gigs to make 10% float my living... and it did.

All dead due to the CU.

So you understand why "Buffbot" is a dirty word down by Intrepid way.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• Azzurri15Azzurri15 Member Posts: 69

It's sad what has happened to SWG. People can't even get along. Good job Dev's for listen to you player base.

• djtrancerdjtrancer Member Posts: 93

This is a list why Blizzard shouldn't run SWG:

* Luke would be named Thrall
    * Mos Eisley, the famous tatooine city where luke and obi went to get a pilot in first movie would be named Ironforge and the musici n the bar would be very crappy metal.
    * The creatures that habit the worlds would just be dinosaurs
    * The force would be called Mana
    * The lightsaber would just be a regular sword that is over-enchanted
    * Jawas that collect scraps and sell them to farmers on tatooine would be goblins istead
    * The dark and light side would be horde and alliance
    * Chewbacca would be a taurem
    * The tree climbing teddybears known as ewoks would be gnomes
    !and last!
    * Massive suicide article on every newspaper around the globe would have the title on their frontpage say: "Starwars fans around the globe in a massice suicide exactly the same time when blizzard took over the well known MMORPG"
    &
    "George Lucas place bounty on every blizzard worker, claims they killed his dream"
    &
    "Mark Hamill slays every Blizzard worker with a real lightsaber that military has been having as a top secret project, claims to be preparing for alien contact adding - George Lucas might have right!"

You see dear mmorpg fans.. that's why..
    it's a loss loss!

Cheers!

We shall all die in vain.. you decide how!

Originally posted by djtrancer

*cough* Mustifar *cough*

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Originally posted by djtrancer

*cough* Mustifar *cough*

Odd, seems to be mostly bugs and driods from what I've seen.