Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss this game..

zerox168zerox168 Member Posts: 88

I truly do miss this game..... But it will never be the same if I come back ...

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Originally posted by zerox168

It never went anywhere.  It just got bought out by EA and they are on something like the 8 expansion for it.

What will he do next?
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Originally posted by Djin

Originally posted by zerox168

It never went anywhere.  It just got bought out by EA and they are on something like the 8 expansion for it.

• DigableDDigableD Member Posts: 71

i miss UO too. but after EA gobbled it up and canceled UO2, well, i'll probably never come back. EA should leave quality franchises like Origin/Maxis/Lionhead ect. alone and stick to madden.

• ZodiacTalonZodiacTalon Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by DigableD

i miss UUOO too. but after EA gobbled it up and canceled UO2, well, i'll probably never come back. EA should leave quality franchises like Origin/Maxis/Lionhead ect. alone and stick to madden.

UO had the best content back in the day. I had a tent right outside the mining town (cant recall the name) and it was great fun. I was upset to see the whole trammel/feluccia thing. That really ruined the game and took away from the magic of the game itself. Yes, it sucked being killed by 10 year old with names like 1337d00d, but the magic was still there with the game. If the game was exactly the same way it used to be, i would play it again in a heartbeat.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105

Originally posted by ZodiacTalon

i miss UUOO too. but after EA gobbled it up and canceled UO2, well, i'll probably never come back. EA should leave quality franchises like Origin/Maxis/Lionhead ect. alone and stick to madden.

UO had the best content back in the day. I had a tent right outside the mining town (cant recall the name) and it was great fun. I was upset to see the whole trammel/feluccia thing. That really ruined the game and took away from the magic of the game itself. Yes, it sucked being killed by 10 year old with names like 1337d00d, but the magic was still there with the game. If the game was exactly the same way it used to be, i would play it again in a heartbeat.

I would too
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

If the game was exactly the same way it used to be, i would play it again in a heartbeat.

Have you tried the Seige Perilous shard of UO? No trammel there I don't think. All felucia, and lots more challenging. By far the most challenging, grueling way to play Ultima Online.

- Zaxx

• DarkHeart2DarkHeart2 Member Posts: 493

i miss UUOO too. but after EA gobbled it up and canceled UO2, well, i'll probably never come back. EA should leave quality franchises like Origin/Maxis/Lionhead ect. alone and stick to madden.UO had the best content back in the day. I had a tent right outside the mining town (cant recall the name) and it was great fun. I was upset to see the whole trammel/feluccia thing. That really ruined the game and took away from the magic of the game itself. Yes, it sucked being killed by 10 year old with names like 1337d00d, but the magic was still there with the game. If the game was exactly the same way it used to be, i would play it again in a heartbeat.

I think Tram made the game funner. I wasnt around at the pre UO:r but I can imaging what it was like to just make 100k barding dragons and then be pked by a 10 year old and losing the 10k.

RF Online|LostGrace-3x Cora Caster-Spirit Server-Active
    Lineage 2|LostGrace-4x Elemental Summoner-Gustin Server-Deactivated, Kiltor-3x Elven Oracle-Gustin Server-Baned T_T

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I agree with DarkHeart2, challenge sucks. Randomness sucks. And PvPers are by-law under the age of 13. I, like him, would rather have a pre worked out way of playing with nothing unexpected happening. One time I tried to PK in ultima and this dialog box came up and said:

"Click here if you are above the age of 13, otherwise click here"

So I clicked that I was above 13 and was booted to a dungeon. Damn PvP age restriction.

Yes I am bitter towards people like you. How can you even stand Lineage 2 which you aparently play if its so PvP orientated? Are you young enough to even play it?

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I tried coming back a few times and EA has truly mucked this game beyond repair especially with that AoS crap they put in.  They took the simplicity of the game and wrecked it in some ill attempt at moderinzing the game.  People still play which amazes me! Grats and cudos to them.

But what I've figured out is its not just EA's fault that the 'magic' of this game has been lost.  UO was my first MMO and the awe I felt at the notion of particiapting in this online world was very intense.  But sometimes you just can't go back. After playing EQ 1 (which reinstilled the same type of feeling) and now WoW I realized I've become desensitized to the whole notion.  The things that caused me to be awestruck way back in the day are now just common place and taken for granted.

imho I cant' go back because I've seen too much of what other titles have to offer.

• MadSephirothMadSephiroth Member Posts: 15
    I remember when I first bought Ultima Online The second age, the first expansion back in 1999. I dialed up my internet connection with my 32.3 kbps modem and logged in. When i first saw other humanoids running around in britian I thought, "whoaaah! This is my greatest rpg dream come true!" And for a time, it was good. I had dreams of grandeur, I started out with a little character named "Gwain" yes, I had no imagination, and I proceeded to mine away for hours with my 50 pickaxes and my 2 pack horses. On average I got Pked every two hours, and lost a considerable investment in time. Looking back, I should have been smarter and mined in out of the way places, but as a newb I didn't know how to get far from britian. Therin lies the major problem with UO for the last 8 years, newbs have an incredibly hard time getting a foothold in the game. In my opinion this is why they implemented trammel, a safe place for new players to make a living. For awhile it worked well, only now there are so very few new players, and those that do come to the game leave very soon. It's just too messed up, with crazy overpowered items you cant lose and blue elves with horrible art. I've been playing off and on for 6 years, and I've achieved a great deal in the game, but, it's lost it's magic. The imagination is gone, now everything is so uninspired, just like all EA's new games. I'll be moving on by christmas.
  • bugzonlsdbugzonlsd Member Posts: 410
    Thats a first for me to hear someone misses uo. But rly now if there was a time that uo had great gameplay it was when I could kill you for walking down the same path I was on :) I -R-LoOtEr LOL, kinda sucked when they intro trammel, all those trashtalkin,house hidin trammies ROFL, the Chaos and Order deal was an everyday battle which was fun but other then that ...nah
  • BigTBigT Member UncommonPosts: 51

I know what you mean, UO was my first, I started playing back in "1999", then when AOS came out,  well, everyone knows the rest of the story.  :(

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Yeah, I quit playing for years after trammel hit, but I found a free server to get my fix.  Its ok, not like the good old days but close.  I"m just playing it to pass the time while I wait for the next big thing.  I didnt like WOW and I was playing SWG until Sony buried it alive. I don't have much confidence in finding another MMORPG that I will enjoy like old school UO.
  • slirthaxslirthax Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Have you tried the Seige Perilous shard of UO? No trammel there I don't think. All felucia, and lots more challenging. By far the most challenging, grueling way to play Ultima Online.

- Zaxx

Was just reading threw the posts and thought I would correct you, they managed to screw siege up to by putting the expansions towns in (tokuno, malas etc).. i am not bashing the game in any way... ive played it for 7 and a half years and still am... LONG LIVE UO.... image 
  • aesbestosaesbestos Member Posts: 81

Just browsing through this site and found a "good ole days" UO thread...  Thought I would pitch it.

As far as MMOs go, I haven't found one that captured me the way UO did originally.  I played for hours, and it was so epic.  I remember when (before they ruined it), there were town raids where monsters would come marauding through the towns and everyone would group together to help fend them off and save each other.

Then Trammel came along and I was like "meh...." but tolerated for quite some time, still.  It was actually a nice addition from the money-making standpoint, so I wasn't too upset.  Then factions came along, and that was an incredible gank fest...  Then 3d...  And I drifted out somewhere around the updates...  It had just lost its charm.

I have played on some of the UOGateway servers...  Had a few great chars on a server called UOGamers that was pretty good...  But eventually stopped because it just wasn't the same.  Maybe I will try and find another one...

But, as a whole, I haven't found an MMO that has kept me entertained for as long as UO did.  I am still searching, but have had no luck as of yet.  Hopefully I can find a good one.

• crreescrrees Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by madazz

I agree with DarkHeart2, challenge sucks. Randomness sucks. And PvPers are by-law under the age of 13. I, like him, would rather have a pre worked out way of playing with nothing unexpected happening. One time I tried to PK in ultima and this dialog box came up and said:
    So I clicked that I was above 13 and was booted to a dungeon. Damn PvP age restriction.
    Yes I am bitter towards people like you. How can you even stand Lineage 2 which you aparently play if its so PvP orientated? Are you young enough to even play it?

sorry man, you sound like the biggest pussy.  Seriously im not bashing you, but you sound like you want to be spoonfed your way through games...nothing unexpected happening?  Oh man i hope your kidding.  pre worked out game?  Why pay the 10 bucks a month for a pre worked out game?  half life does that, and the UOs before the MMO..i dont know man...sounds pretty pathetic

Ive got two choices, run, or stay and fight...And I dont see no doors...

• Kaos&LightKaos&Light Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by crrees

Originally posted by madazz

sorry man, you sound like the biggest pussy.  Seriously im not bashing you, but you sound like you want to be spoonfed your way through games...nothing unexpected happening?  Oh man i hope your kidding.  pre worked out game?  Why pay the 10 bucks a month for a pre worked out game?  half life does that, and the UOs before the MMO..i dont know man...sounds pretty pathetic

On the one hand, he's obviously being sarcastic.

OTOH, he does remind me of the 'ganking is kewl' crowd who created the 13y/o PK stereotype and annoyed enough of the other subscribers that the beancounters decided they needed a pseudo-PvP switch and put in Trammel.  (Tho perhaps that honour belongs more to the no-risk bank thieves than the miner-ganking PKs.)

Sadly, every game that came after has gone too far the other way :(

• RejorRejor Member Posts: 36

I miss this game as well.

I've tried coming back to it a few times, but each time I was sorely dissapointed.

A bit of history... I started playing this game when it first came out. I remember me and my friend eating up every little bit of info that came out about UO before the game was released. When it did, I'd go to my friend's house to play it for maybe an hour lol. Even with the lag, it was awesome.

I remember when I got my first set of chainmail armour. I felt bad-ass. Chain armour with a bronze shield and longsword. I thought I was king of the world. Then I fought a troll, lagged out, and thought I was dead. But lo and behold, upon a hasty relogin, someone had just happened to stumble upon my frozen state, and saved my pixelated arse. It was great.

Even with all the bugs, the lag problems and everything, the community just kept flourishing and expanding. I spent hours playing that game, between work, school, and what not. The roleplay community was great too, probably the best in an MMO. Hell, I still remember a few words of a story someone wrote in the forums.

But, after having to leave the game due to moving, and school and all, I didn't get to play again until after the trammel/felluca world split. It just seemed to screw things up. The danger just wasn't there anymore. Sure, I remember constantly dying, losing items, and what not, but you learned to play smart, to use your head, and be close to your friends. Now UO just seems to be... carebearized.

And because of UO, I have a pretty strict eye when it comes to new MMOs. Nothing just has come close anymore.

*EDIT* I think that was when I first started using the name Rejor as well. Lol. A lot of history in my nickname.

The doll would surely say, "I do not want to be human!" although her master wants her to be even more.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Could have been a great game but the PKing drove alot of people away and spoiled the remainder of what was a very innovative game. EA's basically put the thing on life support so no quality expansions, upgrades or sequels means this game is lagging way behind on production values. Which is a shame because the core game is still brilliant, a little window dressing could make a big difference.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Originally posted by Rejor 

And because of UO, I have a pretty strict eye when it comes to new MMOs. Nothing just has come close anymore.

This has become my problem also.  I compare everyone of these new MMOPRGS to it and keep coming up short.  Like i've stated before, I found a player run shard circa 1998 that I play on now and truly enjoy.  Almost exaclty like it was back in the day.  For now i'm just gonna play this and enjoy.  I'm passing on alot of new games.  There is just no need for me to keep wasting my time and money on a game that doesnt compare with UO.