Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 lifts NDA

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/31/planetside-2-lifts-nda-heads-to-pax/

We're another step closer to getting our combat boots on the ground and our itchy fingers on those triggers, as SOE has made the move to drop PlanetSide 2's non-disclosure agreement. This NDA drop follows a month of external beta testing and just prior to SOE's debut of the game at a North American show (in this case, PAX Prime).

SOE President John Smedley reminded fans that this didn't mean the title was ready to ship. "Beta has a long way to go folks," he posted on Twitter.

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Now that the NDA is dropped, let me say a few things about the game.

First, I am impressed by the game design. They have really put a lot of thought into this game, and how to make it very accessible, and feature rich.

Second, they were not kidding about BETA. This is an old school beta... where the game doesnt work as it should, and you are there to test.

Third, the game is not optimized, and the system requirements/performance is terrible. I (and many others that I have met) cant really play the game (other than to look around a bit). FPS in the single digits is pretty common. Having said that, there are people that average 60 FPS, and have a lot of fun killing those that dont.

Lastly, it looks like there may be a queueing issue. The game is in beta, people have problems even playing, and the server(s) are regularlly maxed out. The game IS fun, and if you can get it to work, it is quite enjoyable.

I look forward to this game, and expect that as they optimize, and work out some bugs, it will be much more playable in the coming months. If the game is highly playable on release, then it will be very popular on launch.

• MercuryRisinMercuryRisin Member UncommonPosts: 20

yeah,

i got the email today as well about the NDA being lifted and to feel free to give my thoughts on the gameplay, funny thing is, i NEVER got the email to actually play. Yeah, i am a little pizzed lol.

#1 they said PS1 vets were going to be getting mails to join in the game

well, i Beta Tested PS1 and was a subscriber for 4 years and I never got the invite

#2 they said the PC Gamer beta key priority were gonna be invited as well, well thats how i learned in the firstplace, i saw the magazine and said WOW, i quickly went home, signed up, logged on my SOE account, input beta key, and wammo, nothing, i was like, where is the download button, oh and guess what? THAT WAS 3 MONTHS AGO  lol

i am playing guildwars2 now, and might sign up for Firefall, and will spend my money there instead :P

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Been in beta for about a week now. Love the game. Yes, it is still "under construction" and there are bugs and unfinished items yet. However, I am on of those that has not had any issues with "poor fps" or performance issue. Of course, I have a new gaming rig so I wouldn't expect to.

What I like most about the game is the scale. The world is huge. This leads to several types of gameplay. One type is the small unit actions. Those ential just a few players (sometimes only one) going out to attempt to capture objectives. The other type are large scale battles. In this case I have seen upwards of 200 people fighting over major objectives. It is amazing as you slug it out in such a battle to see so many infantry, tank and air vechiles all fighting in the same general area. It can and usually does get very intense.

Now, as mentioned, there are bugs. Things like the compass above the mini-map and some voice applications are broken or don't work as welll as they should. There are also some players falling through terrian when first spawning in at the main bases (Wargates). And a few others. None of which makes the game unplayable....just annoying.

The game is also lacking (although that is too harsh) a good method of keeping squad mates together. There is a squad system and you can easily pick up you squadies on the map and in the world. However, it is sometimes difficult to meet up to get into the action together. While there are some ways to make this easier, it is not always apparent for a new player. However, I do think the PS2 devs will refine the current system to make it work better.

Overall, so far a great game and looking forward to much more.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    So..........what are the limits on number of players in battles?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    So..........what are the limits on number of players in battles?

I 'believe' that the limits are 2k per continent.

In theory, they could all be in one fight, but in reality, they are usually distributed across 3-4 fights.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

2,000 per continent is indeed what they are saying, so 666 per empire per continent.  I'm not sure if the cap is that high or not right now, I'm thinking no.

I got into the beta the first day it started.  Since then there have already been several huge patches and a bunch of things have been added/ fixed/changed.  However, like others have said, this is an actual beta, not a free advertising beta weekend thing.  There are still a lot of things that are broken or not in the game - only one of the three continents is in the game, a bunch of weapons are still unavailable, the mission system they have talked about in the game, communication/organization is hard, class and vehicle balance still needs a ton of work, and they are still working on base capture mechanics.

That being said, the game is really fun, despite the unfinished and broken stuff.  If you like FPS games and are a MMO fan also, you will probably really like this game.

The cash shop is not in the game yet, but you can see what is available.  All the weapons you can buy with in game currency as well as station cash.  I was able to buy a different rocket launcher for the heavy assault with in game currency that I earned.  Cosmetic stuff is station cash only.

I'm actually surprised the NDA was released this early.  I have already seen a few posts of people talking about the game being bad, and their complaints are things that are clearly unfinished or not in the game yet.  My guess is it's still going to be a few months before it is ready for a full release.