Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TenTonHammer post "joke review" *sigh* I should have guessed!!! OMG 94%

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Excuse me but who says it is not a good game? It is a great game in fact but not an amazing, jaw-dropping once in a decade game, which a 97% score should be reserved for.

Still judging how everyone feels based on your opinion I see.  Maybe to some people it is just that.  I wish you'd understand that all the bulleted lists and denouncements can't change the fact that people are different.

to me it is that jaw-dropping once in a decade type game... but obviously to many it's not going to be.. i can't think of a game that came out within the last 5+ years i'd score higher than this one. Even skyrim which I love would go below this one in my book.

Honestly, Skyrim was worth the $60 but it was no Morrowind; so I agree.  Between the betas and this past week I've gotten more hours out of GW2 already.  I can't say for sure that it is a once in a decade game.. I played WoW for years.. then again, I'm not sure I enjoyed WoW for years.  There's a difference.

Ok fine, for you it is, but dont go around and saying we dont think GW 2 is good because that is not what this discussion is about. It is if this game is good/great or it is one of the best MMO's ever created. For me it is simply the former.

Now I have clocked over 500 hours in League of Legends and I am still not done. I clocked 400+ hours into Warhammer Online and I dont consider either of those games more than great. So for me a great game is just that, great so I dont see why you fanboys are all up in arms for people not thinking this game is the best thing since sliced bread.

also not sure why you spend so much time talking about something you don't care for.. I love computers but hate apple I don't go around talking about apple computers all the time.. I love cars but hate ford.. i don't go around talking about mustangs all the time.. I love videos games but hate RTS games but don't go around talking about RTS games all the time... just seems strange to me how much time and effort people put into something they don't like.

Wow, it is like you are wilfully misinterpreting or simply not reading my posts. Because I dont know how you can go from someone saying: I think this game is great ----> I dont care about the game. Just mind-boggling.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Ok fine, for you it is, but dont go around and saying we dont think GW 2 is good because that is not what this discussion is about. It is if this game is good/great or it is one of the best MMO's ever created. For me it is simply the former.

Now I have clocked over 500 hours in League of Legends and I am still not done. I clocked 400+ hours into Warhammer Online and I dont consider either of those games more than great. So for me a great game is just that, great so I dont see why you fanboys are all up in arms for people not thinking this game is the best thing since sliced bread.

Could we please not resort to the disregarding everyone's opinion vis a vis the ad hominem "yer a fanboi" attack?

Anytime I read an argument that calls the opposition a fanboi or a hater, this is how I, and I'm sure many others interpret it:

"I don't care what you say because you are a fanboi/hater and thus your opinion is worthless."

Ok fair enough, so replace fanboy with you-people-who-get-upset-if-someone-does-not-think-a-near-perfect-score-is-what-gw2-deserves.

For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good and you should be playing this game one year from now but somehow I doubt most of you will because it isn't that perfect of a game. It just feels like that because the game is new and shiny.

wow.. just wow. And for the rest of what you said who cares? I never needed to play a game for years to love a game.. honestly my favorite games of all time I only played for 3-8 months and thats MMOs included.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Excuse me but who says it is not a good game? It is a great game in fact but not an amazing, jaw-dropping once in a decade game, which a 97% score should be reserved for.

Still judging how everyone feels based on your opinion I see.  Maybe to some people it is just that.  I wish you'd understand that all the bulleted lists and denouncements can't change the fact that people are different.

to me it is that jaw-dropping once in a decade type game... but obviously to many it's not going to be.. i can't think of a game that came out within the last 5+ years i'd score higher than this one. Even skyrim which I love would go below this one in my book.

Honestly, Skyrim was worth the $60 but it was no Morrowind; so I agree.  Between the betas and this past week I've gotten more hours out of GW2 already.  I can't say for sure that it is a once in a decade game.. I played WoW for years.. then again, I'm not sure I enjoyed WoW for years.  There's a difference.

also not sure why you spend so much time talking about something you don't care for.. I love computers but hate apple I don't go around talking about apple computers all the time.. I love cars but hate ford.. i don't go around talking about mustangs all the time.. I love videos games but hate RTS games but don't go around talking about RTS games all the time... just seems strange to me how much time and effort people put into something they don't like.

Wow, it is like you are wilfully misinterpreting or simply not reading my posts. Because I dont know how you can go from someone saying: I think this game is great ----> I dont care about the game. Just mind-boggling.

wasn't talking about just you but many people on this board and not about GW2 in general.. but you do spend an awful lot of time talking about GW2 which you have said is basically just an average game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Purgatus

If I were you, I'd find a nice hole to crawl into. You are doubtless going to see a lot more "joke" reviews coming out soon. Face the truth. GW2 is a good game. To some its even a great game.

I hope you can live is such a world.

You know what is even more amazing? The amount of people that think the OP doesn't agree it is a great game. I mean he only fucking said it in his post.

Christ...

I had to LOL.  Just an example of why some people defending GW2 are just as bad as the people that bash it repeatedly for no reason.  I think he did not read the OP because of the thread title. Clearly bashing GW2 so jumped in to bash the OP.

Lot of that around here. Amazingly amusing times to be had. I will say though thanks to them time at work has freaking flown by for me this week.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Could we please not resort to the disregarding everyone's opinion vis a vis the ad hominem "yer a fanboi" attack?

Anytime I read an argument that calls the opposition a fanboi or a hater, this is how I, and I'm sure many others interpret it:

"I don't care what you say because you are a fanboi/hater and thus your opinion is worthless."

Ok fair enough, so replace fanboy with you-people-who-get-upset-if-someone-does-not-think-a-near-perfect-score-is-what-gw2-deserves.

For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good and you should be playing this game one year from now but somehow I doubt most of you will because it isn't that perfect of a game. It just feels like that because the game is new and shiny.

wow.. just wow. And for the rest of what you said who cares? I never needed to play a game for years to love a game.. honestly my favorite games of all time I only played for 3-8 months and thats MMOs included.

Seeing as you seem to have a switch where someone either does not like the game or love the game, I am not sure how that can be translated into review scores as they are about quantify how good or bad a game is in a quasi-scientific way. Loving or hating are like I said, emotions, and have no place in a review.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good

See, here's where I think you're either looking at this too hard or not hard enough.  Emotion has nothing to do with why I feel the design philosophy of ANet is so amazing... read the article Aerowyn posted or heck, anything that lists GW2's features.  The game was made for people who were tired of a lot of the VERY limiting conventions of MMOs.  Don't you think... that maybe, just maybe, they reached some of the playerbase they were aiming for in all those hundreds of staff meetings deciding what direction to take?  

Speaking from personal preference, the game was made for me... that's why I'm playing it.

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235

So hang on a second...I have to have a significant emotional attachment to GW2 in order to think that it's a good game??? Do you recognize how chastizing people for overhyping the game, and then making the remark that you made...makes you a huge hypocrit? Check it out, i'm not emotionally involved with GW2, but I do think it's a good game, in fact, a great game. My opinion man, deal with it.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

wasn't talking about just you but many people on this board and not about GW2 in general.. but you do spend an awful lot of time talking about GW2 which you have said is basically just an average game

No, I have never said that. I have said that the game is great, a solid ThemePark (and by that I dont mean average) but I have also said that this MMO is not the greatest thing "evar" or a revolution of any sort. I am talking in shades of grey where you are talking in black or white. Either like or dont like. It is not as simple as that.

But the reason I am talking about GW 2 is because it is the first game since the release of WoW where it seems to have surpassed, or going to, WoW in popularity which means it is about to become the largest MMORPG and MMORPGs is one of my primary hobbies.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

IMHO, it's possibly the best MMO to date. I think that warrants a near perfect score...

To each his own, though *shrug*

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

No, I have never said that. I have said that the game is great, a solid ThemePark (and by that I dont mean average) but I have also said that this MMO is not the greatest thing "evar" or a revolution of any sort. I am talking in shades of grey where you are talking in black or white. Either like or dont like. It is not as simple as that.

But the reason I am talking about GW 2 is because it is the first game since the release of WoW where it seems to have surpassed, or going to, WoW in popularity which means it is about to become the largest MMORPG and MMORPGs is one of my primary hobbies.

so you must have a significant emotional attachment to this game i presume.. interesting

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

If I were you, I'd find a nice hole to crawl into. You are doubtless going to see a lot more "joke" reviews coming out soon. Face the truth. GW2 is a good game. To some its even a great game.

You know what is even more amazing? The amount of people that think the OP doesn't agree it is a great game. I mean he only fucking said it in his post.

Christ...

I had to LOL.  Just an example of why some people defending GW2 are just as bad as the people that bash it repeatedly for no reason.  I think he did not read the OP because of the thread title. Clearly bashing GW2 so jumped in to bash the OP.

I think not. The OP thought the review was ridiculous. He had his own set of standards. I'm saying that there will be a great deal more reviews that by his standards are ludirous and he will have to deal with it.

It has nothing AT ALL to do with how the OP sees the game, but how he sees other reviews. Or maybe its too much to ask to belive that I read the OP and actually responded to it.

For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good

See, here's where I think you're either looking at this too hard or not hard enough.  Emotion has nothing to do with why I feel the design philosophy of ANet is so amazing... read the article Aerowyn posted or heck, anything that lists GW2's features.  The game was made for people who were tired of a lot of the VERY limiting conventions of MMOs.  Don't you think... that maybe, just maybe, they reached some of the playerbase they were aiming for in all those hundreds of staff meetings deciding what direction to take?  

Speaking from personal preference, the game was made for me... that's why I'm playing it.

Well I am looking at GW 2 from a stricly factual point of view and based on the fact which I have experienced so far, it is a great MMORPG but not the best ever nor is it groundbreaking or revolutionary. I have even made a blog saying why it is not so based on the features in game.

For me statements like: "..,design philosophy is amazing" are, without support of facts, just groundless statements. What exactly is so amazing? The Dynamic Events? The combat? The classes? The gfx?

They are all good solid features but I fail to see what is so absolutely amazing about them. But then again I take a critical apporach to most things in life, not just MMORPGs.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good...

Man, I respected your differing opinion until now, but there you are bordering the "if you like GW2, you must be stupid" kind of personal attacks. Come on, you can do much better than this without insulting people.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well I am looking at GW 2 from a stricly factual point of view and based on the fact which I have experienced so far, it is a great MMORPG but not the best ever nor is it groundbreaking or revolutionary. I have even made a blog saying why it is not so based on the features in game.

For me statements like: "..,design philosophy is amazing" are, without support of facts, just groundless statements. What exactly is so amazing? The Dynamic Events? The combat? The classes? The gfx?

They are all good solid features but I fail to see what is so absolutely amazing about them. But then again I take a critical apporach to most things in life, not just MMORPGs.

/facepalm

I explained why.  Highlighted in yellow.  My experience has been refreshing because the game is different than WoW for example.  I am spending less time fighting other players and the limitations imposed on me by the genre and more time fighting enemies in the game.

By the way, "amazing" is a subjective term, it doesn't need to be supported by facts.  It's an opinion.  Also, duh.  Are you a robot or what?

as do I and you can look at my post history prior to playing the first BWE to see this.. but every now and then a game comes around for people that just clicks in all the right places.. for you and others it may not but for me and others it does.. not really hard thing to understand. My friend and many game sites feel every new zelda entry is the perfect game and gets a lot of 10/10 ratings.. I would honestly give most of them 7/10 to 8/10 at best.

Christ...

I think not. The OP thought the review was ridiculous. He had his own set of standards. I'm saying that there will be a great deal more reviews that by his standards are ludirous and he will have to deal with it.

It has nothing AT ALL to do with how the OP sees the game, but how he sees other reviews. Or maybe its too much to ask to belive that I read the OP and actually responded to it.

Then maybe you shouldn't have put in that he would have to deal with it because it "is a good game. To some its even great" when he said the same himself?

Just sayin'...

See it is entirely possible to love this game and think it is fantastic yet feel this review and some other reviews are going overboard. I know this is incredibly shocking for some around here but it does not mean they hate the game or think it is bad.

One day maybe...One day...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Christ...

Then maybe you shouldn't have put in that he would have to deal with it because it "is a good game. To some its even great" when he said the same himself?

Just sayin'...

See it is entirely possible to love this game and think it is fantastic yet feel thais review and some other reviews are going overboard. I know this is incredibly shocking for some around here but it does not mean they hate the game or think it is bad.

One day maybe...One day...

if OP wanted to have an actual discussion about the score TTH gave he wouldn't of worded his thread the way he did.. just sayin'

not that jumping on people is right but sometimes people bring it on themselves wether intentional or not.. 

if OP wanted to have an actual discussion about the score TTH gave he wouldn't of worded his thread the way he did.. just sayin'

not that jumping on people is right but sometimes people bring it on themselves wether intentional or not.. 

Yes...because no one ever does that in their topic title to make it more enticing. Oh wait, just about everyone does. Pretty clear what his sentiment is if you bother to actually read his post. Not hard to figure out.

If he is really slamming anyone it is TTH. Suppose fans of that site have a reason to balk. Have at it!

>_>

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Originally posted by syntax42

I would give this game a 6893412.57 out of 7412259.

Seriously, though.  Stop with the numbers.  They don't do an effective job at telling someone how good a game is, or more importantly, if someone will enjoy playing a game.  If you want to write a review describing what you did or didn't like, that is a lot more helpful than posting a meaningless number.

That's a 93% :D

Yes...becuase no one ever does that in their topic title to make it more enticing. Oh wait, just about everyone does. Pretty clear what his sentiment is if you bother to actually read his post. Not hard to figure out.

If he is really slamming anyone it is TTH. Suppose fans of that site have a reason to balk. Have at it!

>_>

it's still baiting.. if i made a thread titled GAME X is a complete disaster!!! then in my post it read game is awsome! what's the point?  sounds like baiting to me.

it's still baiting.. if i made a thread titled GAME X is a complete disaster!!! then in my post it read game is awsome! what's the point?  sounds the baiting to me

Eh...I see it as a stretch here since it is more really about the review rather than taking the game to task. Now the topic I believe you're referring to I would definitely agree was straight up baiting. Kind of surprised that was left open. Although I thouhgt some good points were made in there.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Yes...becuase no one ever does that in their topic title to make it more enticing. Oh wait, just about everyone does. Pretty clear what his sentiment is if you bother to actually read his post. Not hard to figure out.

>_>

Except that its not just the title. The whole OP reads the same. Its sentimet is clear:

GW2 is a good game (I know he said great game, but with an 8.5 its just good unless he is use the Special Snowflake grading scale) but it does not deserve the 9.4 it got from TTH. Thats just crazy.

Everyone deserves his or her own opinion. But this is not a crazy review. It was quite clear as to why the game got the score it did. Further, we are going to see more 9+ reviews for it. Count on it. If these are offensve to some posters, I suggest just not reading them.

You can make the assumtion that Im just another blind fanbnoi (and you may even be right!) but this is clearly an aversarial post.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The word you are looking for is opinionated.

There are no facts here, only opinions.  You don't think its groundbreaking.  You don't think it's the best ever MMORPG.  Guess what?  You are right, because you are only speaking about your personal views and there is nothing factual at all about it.  Opinions can't be wrong, although a lot of people (not saying you) state falsified opinions (for instance I don't see how anyone can legitimately claim GW2 had had either a terrible launch or a best ever launch, yet Ive seen both).

But you rather blatantly are trying to pass your opinions off as facts.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Eh, I wouldn't say that I'm upset that someone thinks that GW2 didn't deserve a 94%, I would just say that i disagree, and I expressed that :).

I think I'm a fairly good judge of MMORPGs when they come out..before SWTOR was even released, I said that it would burn brightly for a few months and then fizzle, and that it did.  GW2, I think will stay strong for longer.

In the end, only time will tell, but my prediction is that GW2 will likely rival WoW.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Overhyped and overrated. SWTOR, Rift, WAR had the same extremely positive feedback on forums and reviews first weeks after release. It will wear off by the end of September.

That's what you hope happens. This game is going to be strong for a long time, 

Why are people rooting against the game so hard?