Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TenTonHammer post "joke review" *sigh* I should have guessed!!! OMG 94%

Comments

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it must be tearing you up inside :(.

Whats your problem ?  The OP gave the game a score of 85%.   that is pretty good if you ask me.  You need to stop taking any tiny little shred of criticism heaped upon this game as a personal attack.  Are you one of the devs ?  An investor maybe ?  you need to stop embarrassing yourself.  Countless times I have read up on this game trying to get some unbiased opinions you are here actling like a child.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Its hard to take ANY review seriously, good or bad, when the game has been out for less than a week.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Its hard to take ANY review seriously, good or bad, when the game has been out for less than a week.

kinda goes without saying to take ANY review with a grain a salt.  at this point, initial impressions is all  you will get and for people wanting to buy the game but get a little unbiased opinion it is helpful.  im sure you can understand that.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think GW2 is indeed a evolution of the themepark MMO genre, but as WoW before it I think GW2 is going to lead a revolution away from the "EQ model" after 8 years of being stuck to it thanks to WoW.

You mean the EQ2 model.  The EQ model has been dead for a long time.  People that think EQ in its prime (2000-2004ish) was a themepark are dead wrong.  Themepark and Sandbox dont contain the entire set of MMORPG games but people seem to think a game has to be one or the other.

I partly agree with that because a ThemePark game is:

1. World designed as zones with very, specific level brackets (the Park(s) in ThemePark) and characters strictly level based so that it would be very dificult, if not impossible, for a significantly lower level character to beat a higher level mob. This way you are basically "forced" into a linear path(s) through the world.
    2. Quest hub based (the Theme(s) of ThemePark)
    3. Casual and fairly easy to get to the level cap.
    4. End-game based on raids which gives you gear, so you can do other raids to give you even better gear.
    EQ 1 had the first and last of those features (WoW, WAR, AoC, EQ 2 etc has them all) but EQ 1 was the main mold which WoW used to give birth to the ThemePark type of games so you cannot say that EQ is not related to ThemePark games, it was the precursor.
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Specially an MMORPG which are supposed to have lasting appeal. It is way too early to quantify that so any review which is earlier than a couple of months from release is just an early impression and not a proper review.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Yamota

Excuse me but who says it is not a good game? It is a great game in fact but not an amazing, jaw-dropping once in a decade game, which a 97% score should be reserved for.

Still judging how everyone feels based on your opinion I see.  Maybe to some people it is just that.  I wish you'd understand that all the bulleted lists and denouncements can't change the fact that people are different.

Even the part about the score is subjective.  Game magazines and sites can pretty much do what they want regardless of your opinion of what each score should mean.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Excuse me but who says it is not a good game? It is a great game in fact but not an amazing, jaw-dropping once in a decade game, which a 97% score should be reserved for.

Still judging how everyone feels based on your opinion I see.  Maybe to some people it is just that.  I wish you'd understand that all the bulleted lists and denouncements can't change the fact that people are different.

Isn't that what everyone here is doing? Don't really see the point in singling him out. You could use that same retort to every poster here.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Consensus User scores like MetaCritics User Score are a joke..since trolls and haters will vote just to skew the score. I never pay attention to them just for this reason.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

to me it is that jaw-dropping once in a decade type game... but obviously to many it's not going to be.. i can't think of a game that came out within the last 5+ years i'd score higher than this one. Even skyrim which I love would go below this one in my book.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

to me it is that jaw-dropping once in a decade type game... but obviously to many it's not going to be.. i can't think of a game that came out within the last 5+ years i'd score higher than this one. Even skyrim which I love would go below this one in my book.

Honestly, Skyrim was worth the $60 but it was no Morrowind; so I agree.  Between the betas and this past week I've gotten more hours out of GW2 already.  I can't say for sure that it is a once in a decade game.. I played WoW for years.. then again, I'm not sure I enjoyed WoW for years.  There's a difference.

Honestly, Skyrim was worth the $60 but it was no Morrowind; so I agree.  Between the betas and this past week I've gotten more hours out of GW2 already.  I can't say for sure that it is a once in a decade game.. I played WoW for years.. then again, I'm not sure I enjoyed WoW for years.  There's a difference.

i too have gotten more hours out of GW2 if you add up all the beta's + stress tests and honestly i don't need ot play a game for years to call it a game of the decade.. one of my favorites ever is FF7 which i hade over 500 hours into total but still only played that for about a year. Reading this though gives me good hope for the future of GW2

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Has anyone pointed out yet that TTH gave Rift a 95? I mean I like Rift but it isn't 95% awesome and  while I dont like GW2 I respect that for what it is, it's a good game.  Not sure why everyone is into reviews based off people making money off them.  If you got to play any Beta weekends in GW2 you knew what the game was and if you'd like it.  Some people are delusional and think there  are these hidden  objectives that will magically appear  once they pass  X milestone and will ragequit when they find out there isn't any.  Most everyone else will continue playing the game they knew they were getting.  People that didn't like the game aren't even playing it, like myself.

If Rift is 95

If GW2 is 94

IMO  90 seems to be the new line for a decent game and anything else is bugged trash that is hardly playble.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    if its definitely the right score, the game doesn't really do anything wrong. if you like mmo's there really isn't a better alternative at the moment.

Ok fine, for you it is, but dont go around and saying we dont think GW 2 is good because that is not what this discussion is about. It is if this game is good/great or it is one of the best MMO's ever created. For me it is simply the former.

Now I have clocked over 500 hours in League of Legends and I am still not done. I clocked 400+ hours into Warhammer Online and I dont consider either of those games more than great. So for me a great game is just that, great so I dont see why you fanboys are all up in arms for people not thinking this game is the best thing since sliced bread.

Originally posted by Istavaan
    if its definitely the right score, the game doesn't really do anything wrong. if you like mmo's there really isn't a better alternative at the moment.

I love MMO's and I'm not going to buy GW2 at any point in the future with almost 100% certainty. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one either.  Won't get into why because if you like the game there is no changing your mind to suddenly not like it. People have to come to dislike GW2 ontheir own.

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Has anyone pointed out yet that TTH gave Rift a 95? I mean I like Rift but it isn't 95% awesome and  while I dont like GW2 I respect that for what it is, it's a good game.  Not sure why everyone is into reviews based off people making money off them.  If you got to play any Beta weekends in GW2 you knew what the game was and if you'd like it.  Some people are delusional and think there  are these hidden  objectives that will magically appear  once they pass  X milestone and will ragequit when they find out there isn't any.  Most everyone else will continue playing the game they knew they were getting.  People that didn't like the game aren't even playing it, like myself.

If Rift is 95

If GW2 is 94

IMO  90 seems to be the new line for a decent game and anything else is bugged trash that is hardly playble.

Yes I am starting to think that this TTH site gives hyper-inflated scores so a 97%, which should be next to the perfect game, just means great in their eyes. So I wonder then what would happen if they review the most awesome of all awesome MMORPGs ever, would that game get 150%? 

Makes no sense to me, if you use % as your score then 100% should be the best game ever made, why otherwise even have a scoring system? That is why I prefer to look at user scores in meta critic or rotten tomattoes (for some reason professional move reviews are much more realistic), those give a far better average than these fansites which are probably run by fanboys which score based on their emotions rather than facts.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Ok fine, for you it is, but dont go around and saying we dont think GW 2 is good because that is not what this discussion is about. It is if this game is good/great or it is one of the best MMO's ever created. For me it is simply the former.

Now I have clocked over 500 hours in League of Legends and I am still not done. I clocked 400+ hours into Warhammer Online and I dont consider either of those games more than great. So for me a great game is just that, great so I dont see why you fanboys are all up in arms for people not thinking this game is the best thing since sliced bread.

Could we please not resort to the disregarding everyone's opinion vis a vis the ad hominem "yer a fanboi" attack?

Anytime I read an argument that calls the opposition a fanboi or a hater, this is how I, and I'm sure many others interpret it:

"I don't care what you say because you are a fanboi/hater and thus your opinion is worthless."

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

also not sure why you spend so much time talking about something you don't care for.. I love computers but hate apple I don't go around talking about apple computers all the time.. I love cars but hate ford.. i don't go around talking about mustangs all the time.. I love videos games but hate RTS games but don't go around talking about RTS games all the time... just seems strange to me how much time and effort people put into something they don't like.

I'm not saying that.  I can't judge how entertained I'll be from this point on... in a world where anything is possible, I could theoretically be disappointed with every zone after the current one I'm in and not enjoy any of the personal stories.  So far my experience has been nothing short of refreshing though.  I was just saying that to some people it might be the game that gets them back into MMOs or just changes their opinion of them radically.  I too am enjoying LoL, but again, to someone, maybe it's a once in a decade game.  Being that it's heavily instanced, I'm not sure how, but I'm not about to tell them they're wrong either.  I don't care if you think GW2 is the best game ever, neither do I.

Also, great article Aerowyn, it's like Colin Johanson read my mind.  I pretty much agree with everything he said, but the thing is, I had to come to that decision through playing the old school MMOs.  You probably can't full appreciate the changes in design philosophy unless you've made the arduous journey through 2000 - 2010  MMO history.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

If I were you, I'd find a nice hole to crawl into. You are doubtless going to see a lot more "joke" reviews coming out soon. Face the truth. GW2 is a good game. To some its even a great game.

I hope you can live is such a world.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Purgatus

If I were you, I'd find a nice hole to crawl into. You are doubtless going to see a lot more "joke" reviews coming out soon. Face the truth. GW2 is a good game. To some its even a great game.

You know what is even more amazing? The amount of people that think the OP doesn't agree it is a great game. I mean he only fucking said it in his post.

Christ...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Personally I don't see the big deal.  Though I disagreed with the SWTOR reviews, I eventually came to the conclusion that a lot of games get high scores these days when they're surrounded by hype, GW2 included.  You just have to decide whether the hype was true or not.  In the case of SWTOR I think it was misleading, and a lot of people should blame themselves for following magazine reviews blindly and ending up poorer for it.  These reviews are only guides, it's the player that decides whether to shell out the cash.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

also not sure why you spend so much time talking about something you don't care for.. I love computers but hate apple I don't go around talking about apple computers all the time..

OT: I think you and my dad would probably find kinship over this part. :3

Originally posted by Creslin321

Could we please not resort to the disregarding everyone's opinion vis a vis the ad hominem "yer a fanboi" attack?

Anytime I read an argument that calls the opposition a fanboi or a hater, this is how I, and I'm sure many others interpret it:

"I don't care what you say because you are a fanboi/hater and thus your opinion is worthless."

Ok fair enough, so replace fanboy with you-people-who-get-upset-if-someone-does-not-think-a-near-perfect-score-is-what-gw2-deserves.

For me you have to be really emotionally invested into the game to think GW 2 is that good and you should be playing this game one year from now but somehow I doubt most of you will because it isn't that perfect of a game. It just feels like that because the game is new and shiny.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

You know what is even more amazing? The amount of people that think the OP doesn't agree it is a great game. I mean he only fucking said it in his post.

Christ...

I had to LOL.  Just an example of why some people defending GW2 are just as bad as the people that bash it repeatedly for no reason.  I think he did not read the OP because of the thread title. Clearly bashing GW2 so jumped in to bash the OP.