Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welp back to WoW....

Comments

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Have you done ANY explorable dungeons?

Or gotten a legendary?

Or 100%ed the map?

It seems you just bought the game on a whim without looking it up at all.

edit: Also you're incredibly buttmad about that fact too.

• noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Grunch

PvE also has various results. Battles go down differently every time. PvP and PvE just have different dynamics. PvE is about perfecting a strategy, and PvP is more about twitch and on-the-fly decisions. It's different strokes for different folks. Not to mention that the game IS called Guild Wars, yet guilds seem to be a pretty small aspect of it, and I suspect that being able to to join multiple guilds will bite them in the ass. Guild loyalty will be a complete thing of the past. GW2 is probably the most anti-social game I've ever seen.
    Oh so you did get rocked in pvp.

Just because you prefer an inferior game is no cause to get angry. I'm sure you can be perfectly happy in your little world of denial, so buck up little buddy.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

There are a few questions I must ask.

It's been less then a week since Guild Wars 2 came out. You say that you've got to level 80 and then dabbled around in PvP environments then quit. My first question is are you a Johnny player? Johnny players find enjoyment in reaching an objective (In this case, reaching 80 ASAP, or for others, 100% world completion.) Are you a Timmy player? I'd say not likely unless you have fun dabbling around in a guild for the social experience. Are you a spike player that plays to just win things and be better then the other players?

Do you believe that the end game should be different from the rest of the game at all? This is where games like WoW shines. You see many people disregard everything just to get to level 80 in wotlk or 85 in cata just so they can do endgame. There is a saying "The game starts at 80." And that saying does not go for GW2. The game stays the same it has been. Congratulations if you've hit 80 if you did, but you probably missed out on a lot doing so as it seems like your primary goal was just to max out.

Do you like Blizzard "adapting"? For me, what killed my fun was the looking for group feature. I used to always do open world PvP with equal levels in the past, yet the only people you'd find in the world were levelers or people grinding dailies in npc towns.

Why are you comparing WoW to Guild Wars? Yes, some people are doing it. Yes, some people complain on both sides about both games. But are they even supposed to fight for the MMO monopoly? One is subscription based, one is Buy-to-Play forever, one has differences from leveling to endgame, one is linear, one has insta-PvP and Realm v Realm Open World PvP, one has True Open World PvP (That is, if MoP doesnt allow flying mounts..) and Arenas.

Why do you consider GW2 a "Rush to the end" game? To be honest, I would challenge you to play not to rush to 80 but instead to level up exploring the world, doing the events, doing the personal stories, and keeping your crafting levels up to match the zone you are in while taking time to join a guild that has weekly or so WvW events or even team sPvP. 

Sounds familiar?

Why do you think people don't do all the content before they quit? That is similar to not even giving a game a chance, no? Before I quit Vindictus or Runescape I've decided to do all I could be offered to see if anything stuck to me. For this game, the sPvP is what sticks to me while playing a Mesmer, my guilds WvW events, and then relaxing while getting my crafting and level up to both improve my WvW and usual fun experience.

Since when does a game have to have a primary purpose to keep you playing? I've quitted World of Warcraft after ICC because I waited around PvPing and paying money a month even though I know all my armor and gear will be obselete next expansion by the way. It sounds hypocritical, but remember that once you buy a boxed GW2, it's not going to cost you monthly. You buy it once and play it whenever you like. If I lose my purpose to play I'll just shelve it until further notice.

Have you considered that you could be diagnosed with "Altitis" if you don't like "running the same character umpteen times"?

Have you tried an actual workaround strategy for sPvP or WvW? I won't give any of my own examples since there isn't any proven way I could show them, but if you would like, I may elaborate on them.

I must apologize if any question sounds too rash or adamant. I am a bit tired from MMOs in general ever since 2008. Guild Wars 2 has given me some entertainment that wasn't relying too much on credit cards or continueous paid game cards.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71 I do not understand the logic of rushing to level cap in any game and then saying "i'm done."

It's simple. Games like Guild Wars 2 have a finite amount of content, and once I've seen what the game has to offer, I don't see the need to continue. At this point, there is no way to advance my character. I would just be grinding for no reason, other than to gloat to others. And that actually seems like a worse reason to grind in my opinion. At least in a game like WoW I can have the satisfaction of getting more powerful, and not just flashier to justify my effort to other people.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

the fact that one can rush to end game within a month says what kind of game it is:

crap

flame on, but really, if you want to have a game that holds peoples interest you need to have a game that  takes longer to play than a month.

look at any game regarded as greta thoughout history,  and that includes the origional wow,  might have taken  less than a month to get to max level, but a heck of a lot longer to get through all the content.

name more? sure, EQ, AC , SWG, need i go on?

theres a reason those games were, and are generally regarded as great games, it took effort.

nowdays, every game made is a thowaway game, shit, i tried rift, fun game but i was max level decent gear within a month as well.

no, OP was just being honest, doesnt take any effort any more, and that  my friends, is why the entire mmorpg genre sucks arse nowdays.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by noseforauto
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71 I do not understand the logic of rushing to level cap in any game and then saying "i'm done."

It's simple. Games like Guild Wars 2 have a finite amount of content, and once I've seen what the game has to offer, I don't see the need to continue. At this point, there is no way to advance my character. I would just be grinding for no reason, other than to gloat to others. And that actually seems like a worse reason to grind in my opinion. At least in a game like WoW I can have the satisfaction of getting more powerful, and not just flashier to justify my effort to other people.

Aren't you maxed out in gear in WoW yet? What's taking you so long? Talk about an easy game!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Why is the default reply by everyone here "why did you rush to level"?  Leveling in this game is too fast.  You can fart on an apple tree for three days and get level 80.

Originally posted by GamerUntouch Have you done ANY explorable dungeons? Or gotten a legendary? Or 100%ed the map?   It seems you just bought the game on a whim without looking it up at all.   edit: Also you're incredibly buttmad about that fact too.

I 100%'d some of the earlier maps, but stopped once I saw there was no point to it. I didn't get any legendaries because I didn't see the point. They aren't any more powerful, so I didn't see the point in grinding for them. I did most of the dungeons and tried a few of the explorables, but didn't beat any of them. Again... no point in grinding for gear that's not any better.

Originally posted by killahh

the fact that one can rush to end game within a month says what kind of game it is:

crap

flame on, but really, if you want to have a game that holds peoples interest you need to have a game that  takes longer to play than a month.

look at any game regarded as greta thoughout history,  and that includes the origional wow,  might have taken  less than a month to get to max level, but a heck of a lot longer to get through all the content.

theres a reason those games were, and are generally regarded as great games, it took effort.

nowdays, every game made is a thowaway game, shit, i tried rift, fun game but i was max level decent gear within a month as well.

no, OP was just being honest, doesnt take any effort any more, and that  my friends, is why the entire mmorpg genre sucks arse nowdays.

Actually, there is an ongoing argument about leveling taking too long for those seeing endgame-game or leveling to max so they can do something else to worry about, and leveling being too quick for content, etc. I forgot how long it took someone in  TOR. I wish I could remember. You also have to remember that when a game comes out, there will always be a race for a person to be "first" just for the boast.

So far, most of the people I've seen that leveled quickly was due to guildmates giving one person all their materials, or two quick events being right next to each other.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Have fun in Pandaland. You probably didn't see 80% of what GW2 has to offer.
  • GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493
    Actually the OP should try a sandbox mmo. Sandbox mmos offer an endless amount of endgame. I personally prefer sandbox mmorpgs so I'm not being sarcastic.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

Originally posted by GamerUntouch Have you done ANY explorable dungeons? Or gotten a legendary? Or 100%ed the map?   It seems you just bought the game on a whim without looking it up at all.   edit: Also you're incredibly buttmad about that fact too.

I 100%'d some of the earlier maps, but stopped once I saw there was no point to it. I didn't get any legendaries because I didn't see the point. They aren't any more powerful, so I didn't see the point in grinding for them. I did most of the dungeons and tried a few of the explorables, but didn't beat any of them. Again... no point in grinding for gear that's not any better.

That's odd. I remember only sPvP having that specific rule that no new gear is better then old. Ah well.

But anywho, if you would like a different game then usual. Hows about DayZ if you'd like an antisocial challenge? Perhaps Mabinogi if you really want something you can't fully rush through. EVE is also pretty good in that regard.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Why is the default reply by everyone here "why did you rush to level"?  Leveling in this game is too fast.  You can fart on an apple tree for three days and get level 80.

The point is that leveling does not matter as much with sidekicking down. I can enjoy content with my gf who is 10 or so levels below me.

For the OP, I'm sorry GW2 didn't work out for you. I'm still quite fond of it and I hope that you will reconsider in the future. Until then, enjoy whatever game you decide to play.

BTW, the VAST majority of players are enjoying the game. However, it's not for everyone. If you want a traditional MMO, there are PLENTY out there.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Im going to go ahead and assume you havent even actually played the game if you think theres no point to doing the content, or that none of the gear is any better. It is better, its just not a huge gap to where its insta-win against people who arent in equal gear like in most games. Progression is there, its just not as steep of a slope to climb.

Continue trolling away though. Its amusing watching you feel so threatened for your precious WoW that you actually take time out of your day to troll other games.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by tabindex

I think the responses lean towards "why did you rush to level and then claim you have completed it?"  Levelign does seem pretty fast in the game, but when put into perspective of the system they have in place with the scaling, I don't see it as a negative or a positive. I don't care that people are already 80, that's their perogative and I don't get why they feel the need to rush to the end. But to claim jsut because you hit 80 that you have seen all there is to see and then say you are going back to WoW while painting GW2 as the problem is where I take exception. Maybe some people just need to take a look in the mirror and see that it's not always the entertainment, but what they are expecting out of it is where the problems lay. If they can't do that then feel free to move on and let the rest enjoy the game. OP has made some pretty negative remarks and has continued to do so and I see no reason to bat words with him. I knew what the game had to offer at the "end game" and I am sure he did as well so to rush to get there and complain seems ridiculous.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

crap

Actually, there is an ongoing argument about leveling taking too long for those seeing endgame-game or leveling to max so they can do something else to worry about, and leveling being too quick for content, etc. I forgot how long it took someone in  TOR. I wish I could remember. You also have to remember that when a game comes out, there will always be a race for a person to be "first" just for the boast.

So far, most of the people I've seen that leveled quickly was due to guildmates giving one person all their materials, or two quick events being right next to each other.

i hear what you say, and tell truth, this is the first time ive given a game a pass, and didnt even try it ( i did play GW1 , and did like it, too). I told myself i would try it out if the reviews i was getting from friends of mine and the filtered revievs you read on the boards, but alas im seeing more and more of these posts allready, and that isnt a good sign. i dont post much, but have activly followed this site for least 10 years :)

if you love the game though, play it thats how you have to look at it, if you dont, whelp, dont:)

cheers

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Lol, was waiting for one of these threads

I figured it out. He rushed to 80 thinking he would dominate in pvp because he is max lvl and then got rocked hard and rage quit. This is a clear case of rage quit.

I'm not a detective but ive watched enough episodes of "Monk" to solve this mystery.

You know what! You're right! I'm gonna buy another copy and take my time with it this time. After all, the game isn't meant to be rushed through. PvP is a lot of fun, and I just need to work at getting better at it. I'm on Forst Aspenwood. See you all in game!

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

I figured it out. He rushed to 80 thinking he would dominate in pvp because he is max lvl and then got rocked hard and rage quit. This is a clear case of rage quit.

I'm not a detective but ive watched enough episodes of "Monk" to solve this mystery.

You know what! You're right! I'm gonna buy another copy and take my time with it this time. After all, the game isn't meant to be rushed through. PvP is a lot of fun, and I just need to work at getting better at it. I'm on Forst Aspenwood. See you all in game!

Actually let me know how it goes, I haven't bought it yet.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

crap

i hear what you say, and tell truth, this is the first time ive given a game a pass, and didnt even try it ( i did play GW1 , and did like it, too). I told myself i would try it out if the reviews i was getting from friends of mine and the filtered revievs you read on the boards, but alas im seeing more and more of these posts allready, and that isnt a good sign. i dont post much, but have activly followed this site for least 10 years :)

if you love the game though, play it thats how you have to look at it, if you dont, whelp, dont:)

cheers

Well, to be honest with you, people are becoming much harsher on the rating scale for every MMO that has came out. Now, it's either a total success, or a flop for all but the devoted.

The two greatest examples that come to mind are FFXIV and SWTOR. Great brands, alright companies (?), not taken seriously by people on reviews or forums. They did have some time of recognition but it soon fell short. Then there is TSW and TERA. TSW starting getting bashed faster then a fish jumping in and out of water. TERA at first was neutral because it was the only competitor to Guild Wars 2 in the developing MMO hype business and WoW in the subscription price. Then, people started to bash it completely because of it's endgame.

In short, people want what they paid for in complete. They want a complete game right from the get-go, and no developing game can easily do that and remain in beta phase. Who wants to pay 15 a month for a new game that doesnt have this or that when they can pay it for that game which had absolutely everything because they had plenty of time in the far past to? (When people werent so critical at the very beginning to label games as a hit or miss unless it was supposed to "kill" another MMO) Guild Wars 2, however, currently has no subscription. Dont like the endgame? Shelve it for a few months. Next thing you come back to is a plethora of new content, events, maybe even an entire expansion if lucky. It didn't cost you a dime or nickel other then the box itself.

But of course, no one needs to buy the game. We just buy it cause we want to play it. Not everyone likes green apples afterall.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months.

No, You can only "hope".

Step 1: Play WoW 8 hours a day for 7 years.

Step 2: Become a nitty fanboi

Step 3: Fear a new game coming out

Step 4: Play the new game for 12 hours a day, 6 days in a row.

Step 4: Bash the new game

Step 5: Hope and "imagine" everybody coming back to WoW

THIS WAS NOT THE CHANGE YOU WANTED.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Suggest you learn the MMO part about MMO's and help out others still starting the game.  Yes I know it's all about you and your character(s) only and would not want you to contribute to the community.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

I'm at 80 also and have experience all zone, expect some dungeon runs (playing since last Saturday), and here's my take. If your not in a guild or enjoy PvP'ing this game isn't for you AS YET, because as it is right now the game dungeons i have been to are a bore for me;  Also the just like Rift ``rifts``, these dynamic events have gotten bore to do (yes i get we have a choice to do them) but i don't get that feeling of self accomplishment when most dynamic events are zerg fest and all i do is beat on the guy.  Personally the only time i like Dynamic events is when we fail at them and the area changes as a result (this doesn't happen for all D.E's).

Again the game is good no doubt, but i just feel it lacks proper pacing..  I think Dynamic events should have been introduce at later levels or less frequent.. Dare i say this but the deepest thing in the game for me is the crafting/mystic forge thing. 

There is a grind @ 80 for better gear, ( if it didn't why the need for tiers, or stats on gear at all?), they spin a tale of no grind for gear progression and state it doesn't matter... All marketing BS

~~Back to leveling an ALT, WoW can wait 2 more weeks...~~

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    if this game is so good how come they halted sales of it  on arenanet website due to  bugs and other issues?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

So, I got to 80 in GW2, dinked around in WvW, did some sPvP, and I think I'm done. Chasing achievements doesn't do it for me, and despite what people say, there is a grind at the end of GW2; you just don't get much out of it. I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months. It seems like lack of endgame might hurt them after all. Who woulda thought?

I do not believe for one second you reached level cap, let alone even purchased the game.

Lolipops !