Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impression 2 weeks in

RageMonsterRageMonster Member UncommonPosts: 120

Just started playing 2 weeks ago and I am still here and enjoying the game even more than I thought I would.  I have yet to find this "bug fest" some people are commenting on and most of the people I have met in game that have had problems have turned down their graphics setting to remedy them (the post rendering is an issue for some but not me).  Overall the game runs fine for me on max settings and the world is very unique to say the least.  Graphics and sound all make the environment even more like the end of the world feeling they were shooting for.

The maps are based on the real world Grand Canyon area and topographically it looks a lot like that part of the world in many respects.  The feel of the game is very "mad max" and a lot like fallout especially with some of the strange things you see in the world(some things got mutated along the way)  The story line makes sense and if you read the quests you get drawn into the story.  There is a very detailed crafting system and this is one of the main features of the game.  You can craft everything in the game given enough time and patience.  This is the first game I have played since EQ where I find myself taking notes as I play.

Combat is twitchy and you need a degree of skill to be able to take down enemies without getting beat to a pulp(your a clone so if you die you are genetically reconstructed at a Lifenet fascility).  You can play in either first or third person modes and I tend to switch back and forth depending on what I am doing.  There are no preset classes and you get better by doing things in the game and also by earning and spending ability points to improve different aspects of your toon.  I ended up deciding to spec into pistols and also am inproving stats to craft and heal. 

The community is by and far the best I have ever seen in a game.  The game is filled with mature and intelligent players as far as I can see.  I don't believe this kind of game would be attractive to the "barrens chat" crowd as it is very detailed and takes time to learn.  There is a dedicated help channel you always have access to and there has never been a time that a GM or community vollunteer was not immediately available to answer questions or help.  I have never seen this level of service in a game and this was amazing to me considering it use to take 3 days just to get a reply from a GM in the last game I played.  This game is a lot smaller by far but the number of people that will help you is much higher.

The difficulty of the game so far is reasonable but not easy.  I have had to figure a lot of things out as there is a learning curve to some parts I have been in so far.  Again the help channel has been a lifesaver and I did get into a great clan (guild) that has also helped in hooking me up with gear and supplies as well as teaming up for some of the harder content.

The enemy AI is a bit lacking IMO and at times the mobs don't behave logically.  This is not game breaking to me but at times it does break the atmosphere a little.  You get tons of bag space but you have a weight limit to what you can carry.  This adds a lot of realism to the game as you have to plan on what you will take especially if you are gatering heavy stuff.

You get a mount right off the bat and it can also carry things in its pack.  You can get better mounts by crafting them once you learn the skills needed.  You can also have pets who can also carry things and there are 4 different banks available to store things in around the world.  There is a very detailed auction house and an auction channel to buy and sell and most prices are very reasonable (there is only 1 server and this helps).

Overall I think this game is great for what it is, namely something different than the usually FTP MMO I have been checking out,  Deep crafting system, great community and a big interesting world with a detailed and driven storyline all make this one to check out. 

Comments

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Most people who have complained are old time players, who played back when the game was BAD.    And they still are baseing their views on an old game.  I used to play FE back a few years ago.  It was a good game, I also played at release and it was a HORRIBLE game then.   I am not expecting it to be the WoW crusher, but it was fun, just repetative after a while.   Give it a month or two you will see what I mean.

The game just feels like its missing something.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• RageMonsterRageMonster Member UncommonPosts: 120

Maybe it will get old but for now it is something new and it is holding my interest pretty well.  The part I like is there seems to be a high level of player maturity and GM involvement in the game.  None of these games are ever any fun if you don't have decent people to play with and a decent GM group in case something goes wrong.

The story is also very well done and the overall feeling of the game is that you are really there.  IT is a gloom that hangs over everything with moments of comedy and a ton of stuff to discover.  I just wish the AI behaved a little better as enemy encounters seem to be either easy to defeat or over the top hard.

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Hodo

The game just feels like its missing something.  

It's missing two things in my opinion.  FIrst, it lacks player housing.  While you can store items in sector vaults and barter vaults scattered about throughout the game world, being able to take it all home and decorate your own place is something that not only could work for this game (instanced bunkers for example), but really should be a part of this game.

Second, the game needs player towns.  If the players could construct basic buildings and design guild towns, and also place their houses in those towns, that would be a great addition.  I am not an active player, but I do pop in from time to time.  Why?  Well, I think it is mainly because this game gives me the closest feeling to Star Wars Galaxies with respect to crafting than any game I have played since.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Good for you OP!

I was there in beta and after launch.  Despite the lag and bugs, I still though FE had a lot to offer and is a fun MMO. 

Don't let the instant gratification crowd dampen your spirits.  FE takes some effort and dedication, but the payoff is there IMO.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!