Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I seriously feel bad for you people

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Ballsout
    [mod edit]

All hail to the voice of reason, your parents must be proud.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Polished? NO, not even close.

More polished than some games at launch, yes ...  and thats all that I will concede in this regard

guild and party features still not working,  ah not working, problems with events (bugs), etc...

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I know what I am missing.. I am right now at work ;< ! wanna get back home already !
  • Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    I think once the hype dies down and people play it for a more sufficient amount of time, it will be seen for what it is; a more refined Rift basically with a few more bells and whistles. That's not a bad thing of course. Races like the Norn come off as rather tired and cliche though and the voice acting is a bit of a rollorcoaster in quality. The PvE becomes repetitive faster then you'd expect too, which surprised me. 
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by StarI
    One of the worst launches in a while.

Worst? nope but below average due to amount of bugs and constant  server crashes and log in problems every day since headstart. But don't expect honesty from GW2 fanatics, it is a matter of ego. They will still it is the best launch ever..as if anyone expected them to say anything else. ;)

Bite Me

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I totally agree with OP. I did not play the original GW and in fact did not buy GW2 until the final week prior to release so I had very little hands on experience,  but I am ever so impressed with the level of detail and beauty that is in GW2. I am simply in love with this game.

Anyone who still cries about hype and dislike either has a very specific agenda for what they like or have not played GW2.

Oh and I particularly enjoy seeing things in GW2 that remind me of an experience or mechanic I have seen in other games.  This is a strength and advantage. I wouldnt call the ideas garnered from other sources innovative persay, but the ability to blend them into the game, put their own twist on it and make something better? This is an advantage and what makes me love playing. I dont consider it a rehash of something thats been done before if anet takes something great and modernizes it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

curious where the innovation and polish comes in, as well as the WHAT A LAUNCH theory.

2 days in a row now servers down at midnight pacific time.  SWTOR, RIFT, TSW, TERA all had better launches.  And I am still looking for something that seems new to me

This. It's a good game... but its not THAT innovative.

Well, hm. Compared to modern WOW clones like SWTOR, LotRO, Rift, WAR and all them, it feels innovative. But its still not as innovative as MMO vets are used to.

Did you have your nose in the air when you typed that?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by gessekai332

... who did not decide to buy this game. You people do not know what your are missing. finally an mmorpg that is innovative, polished, popular, is backed by a reliable dev team, a publisher willing to throw whatever money at the game at the dev'elopers whim, and has a proven business model (gw1) and still don't think it is worth even a no sub, one-time purchase fee.

Even with all the minor bugs and trade post being down people are just letting it slide because they are having SO MUCH FUN playing the crap out of this game. WHAT A LAUNCH!! Honestly, I feel really bad for the people so jaded by the horde of mmorpg let downs in the past few years that they are willing to let the game of the decade slip away. sigh.

Feel bad for me? I feel bad for you. After all I was disciplined. I didn't spoil my Christmas. You, on the otherhand, have nothing better in MMORPG gaming to look forward to anymore. You've pigged out on all the candy during a gluttoneous fit from which there is no recovery. I'll get to buy it at half price and play after all the bugs and kinks are worked out. . So there, tosser boy.  ;P

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

... who did not decide to buy this game. You people do not know what your are missing. finally an mmorpg that is innovative, polished, popular, is backed by a reliable dev team, a publisher willing to throw whatever money at the game at the dev'elopers whim, and has a proven business model (gw1) and still don't think it is worth even a no sub, one-time purchase fee.

Even with all the minor bugs and trade post being down people are just letting it slide because they are having SO MUCH FUN playing the crap out of this game. WHAT A LAUNCH!! Honestly, I feel really bad for the people so jaded by the horde of mmorpg let downs in the past few years that they are willing to let the game of the decade slip away. sigh.

Feel bad for me? I feel bad for you. After all I was disciplined. I didn't spoil my Christmas. You, on the otherhand, have nothing better in MMORPG gaming to look forward to anymore. You've pigged out on all the candy during a gluttoneous fit from which there is no recovery. I'll get to buy it at half price and play after all the bugs and kinks are worked out. . So there, tosser boy.  ;P

Hahahhaa...best post ever. ;)

Bite Me

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    Nah, I'm not feeling at all like I'm missing out on something by not purchasing Guild Wars from the start. Maybe in three months, maybe six? It just depends how things pan out, or if there's any retention and longevity. The B2P model isn't a bad thing either, but I'm not enthused enough to spend fifty dollars for something that's still a gamble.

I wouldn't call it a gamble (esp. with the B2P model), you'll get A LOT more hours of fun out of this game than any console games (or even single player games on PC) you buy for the same amount of money.

It depends on your perspective. I play MMO's when I'm looking for games to achieve long term commitment, with the largest possible population, and there's no evidence that proves to me that GW2 is going to retain subscriptions beyond three to six months. I'm not saying it won't happen, and I don't disagree with your opinion (it's certainly valid), but since I'm not necessarily Mr. Moneybags right now, I have to be fairly particular with what I buy and why (and like I've said elsewhere, the people within the forum communities have certainly soured me on the product).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

curious where the innovation and polish comes in, as well as the WHAT A LAUNCH theory.

2 days in a row now servers down at midnight pacific time.  SWTOR, RIFT, TSW, TERA all had better launches.  And I am still looking for something that seems new to me

This. It's a good game... but its not THAT innovative.

Well, hm. Compared to modern WOW clones like SWTOR, LotRO, Rift, WAR and all them, it feels innovative. But its still not as innovative as MMO vets are used to.

Did you have your nose in the air when you typed that?

Haha, I can picture him doing that while typing, good one.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rayshe

its a standard launch. Every game has fallen flat on its face at launch since WoW was released. it's not something you can get passed. i wish the fanbase would, according the a large group of the community on here AoC was a horrible game because of its launch issues... THE GAME LAUNCHED YEARS AGO.

Having a bad launch is standard. its how the game picks itself up afterward that matters. we will see in the next few days if it stands up running, or fails to notice its shoes are tied togeather.

AOC was not a horrible game because of its launch

it was a poor game because of the "bait and switch" of the game content

the first 20 levels was the best PVE in the game -- the rest of the AOC content was lacking

WOW fell flat on its face too if you picked a popular server at launch (like my guild did)

WOW was the 2nd buggiest game i ever played since Anarcy Online -- due to network congestion issues

for almost a year, on the Whisperwind server, wetlands boat was dropping people to their deaths in deep sea, game client freezing / crashing, server crashing  --  but it largely mattered which server you played on

World of Warcraft wracked by problems
    January 18, 2005 4:50PM PST

http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-wracked-by-problems-6116566

for context:  WOW had only launched in North America with less than 1 million players, when it had these issues

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

yes yes yes, we all know, 'Shiney!'  --- I'll wait til the 3 month mark and make a determination then, thank you.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Are you seriously going to tell me that GW2 didnt fall flat on its face as every other game did at launch.

Go read the GW2 Disaster at launch thread please. The launch wasnt horrible but it was in no shape great. it was standard at best.

Agreed, I've seen better and I've seen worse.

Having so much fun though it hasn't been an issue, though TP not working is annoying me as I love trading etc.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by StarI
    One of the worst launches in a while.

One of the best MMORPGS in the last years ...on the other hand.

Problems will get fixed...and the great game will remain.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Let's not start throwing the innovative-word around again. We all know the wheel in mmorpgs has been invented long time ago and this game has nothing new in it. It's one of the most used - and most meaningless adjective you can try to tie in a game when you "market" it.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    Let's not start throwing the innovative-word around again. We all know the wheel in mmorpgs has been invented long time ago and this game has nothing new in it. It's one of the most used - and most meaningless adjective you can try to tie in a game when you "market" it.

The wheel was invented loooong ago IRL. Do we still use that same wheel with no improvements?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I seriously don't "feel bad" for anyone who makes up their own mind.

Pushy videogame salesmen are as bad as haters.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Mortemia

The wheel was invented loooong ago IRL. Do we still use that same wheel with no improvements?

Of course not - there has been progress on many levels. But in this game? It still looks like they decided to go with the good ol' wheel from 3500 B.C. 

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Im having fun. The mechanics are fun, massive amount of content, the character story lines are nice, maps are huge, pvp is a blast, etc. It's hard to believe this is not a monthly sub game.

Only thing that bugs me is the long wvw queues at times, but im on a packed wvw player focused server. Id expect it to improve when the inevitable player attrition occurs.

I also spent $$$$$ on increasing inventory size - arenanet is going to make a ton of money on their item shop... which hopefully is partailly reinvested to keep devs and keep the game evolving.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Are you seriously going to tell me that GW2 didnt fall flat on its face as every other game did at launch.

Go read the GW2 Disaster at launch thread please. The launch wasnt horrible but it was in no shape great. it was standard at best.

GW2 did launch in a lot better shape than most games, which of course is rather sad.

But I have so far not been able to play 3 hours when I felt for it (annoyingly enough the first day) and that is actaully a new record.

Yeah, there is bugs, guildfunctions have been down on and off and the marketplace aint up. But it is still better than most launches.

How sad is that?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Rift = Best launch ever.  I didn't have a single problem with the game.  The ONLY thing I ever heard about being wrong was at launch you could equip and unequip your items really fast to get double bonuses and weapon damage lol.  That was fixed with a rolling patch within 10 minutes of launch...
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I seriously don't "feel bad" for anyone who makes up their own mind.

Pushy videogame salesmen are as bad as haters.

I have to agree with you there.

And besides, people can always pick up the game when they have the time and feel for it, I dont think it is going somewhere in a while.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Thanks for the condescending post.  I feel sorry for people that are getting their accounts hacked 5 days into launch, while you guys are just "letting it slide."    But then again, I'm empathetic like that.

• lisaroblisarob Member UncommonPosts: 93

Yeah at last i can hang up my wow shoes. 

The new boss is alive and kicking 

Bye Bye Blizz was fun but your to old now RIP