Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 Will be a Bust.

GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different. Today there are too many mmo's out there. I blame WoW for this.

Only Reason

GW2 will be a bust because its only fun because its the new girl or boy whichever is ur liking. In this world of MMO's we just look for the next one and lie to ourselves that this one is the one. I know this because its happened to myself with TOR and my friends with TERA. Once the newness wears off these threads like mine will become common.

Graphics are good, the world is fresh, the quests are the same, the classes the same. the grind is the same. Only reason to purchase this game I can honestly say is because its free after purchase as long as the servers are still active that is and theoreticly it could possible be worth 60 bucks of entertainment if u put it in scales of taking a family of 4 to the movies. 

I wanted to like this game. IM FIENDING for a fantasy MMO thats worth playing. This just isnt it. I compare all fantasy games to Everquest 1 and what seperates EQ from every MMO released is, it was a world you wanted to explore. No one guided you, you played a character in a game and created your own story.  I'll save my money stick with Vanguard. 

Glad you guys who love the game love it more power to ya. I just wanted a thread so if someone was on the line about purchasing it and didnt buy it yet would have a non bias prespective.Only because of all the glory threads on this forum. Sorry for any typo's im tired and my head hurts.

Comments

• EkohOneEkohOne Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different. Today there are too many mmo's out there. I blame WoW for this.

Only Reason

GW2 will be a bust because its only fun because its new girl or boy whichever is ur liking. In this world of MMO's we just look for the next one and lie to ourselves that this one is the one. I know this because its happened to myself with TOR and my friends with TERA. Once the newness wears off these threads like mine will become common.

Graphics are good, the world is fresh, the quests are the same, the classes the same. the grind is the same. Only reason to purchase this game I can honestly say is because its free after purchase as long as the servers are still active that is and theoreticly it could possible be worth 60 bucks of entertainment if u put it in scales of taking a family of 4 to the movies. 

I wanted to like this game. IM FIENDING for a fantasy MMO thats worth playing. This just isnt it. I compare all fantasy games to Everquest 1 and what seperates EQ from every MMO released is, it was a world you wanted to explore. No one guided you, you played a character in a game and created your own story.  I'll save my money stick with Vanguard. 

Glad you guys who love the game love it more power to ya. I just wanted a thread so if someone was on the line about purchasing it didnt buy it yet would have a non bias prespective.Only because of all the glory threads on this forum. Sorry for any typo's im tired and my head hurts.

k

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I think you make some good points. Wow's launch was different because it had a lot of "firsts." It managed to capture an audience that didn't neccesarily play online games, and most of them won't ever again. It will be pure randomness to see which other MMO will strike lucky and get that new breed of gamers looking for a different experience to Xbox Live. I doubt we will ever see another WoW success though - Guild Wars 2 will be succesful in the traditional sense, pre-WoW.
  • ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

Only Reason

GW2 will be a bust because its only fun because its the new girl or boy whichever is ur liking. In this world of MMO's we just look for the next one and lie to ourselves that this one is the one. I know this because its happened to myself with TOR and my friends with TERA. Once the newness wears off these threads like mine will become common.

Glad you guys who love the game love it more power to ya. I just wanted a thread so if someone was on the line about purchasing it and didnt buy it yet would have a non bias prespective.Only because of all the glory threads on this forum. Sorry for any typo's im tired and my head hurts.

kthxbye

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by shakermaker0
    I think you make some good points. Wow's launch was different because it had a lot of "firsts." It managed to capture an audience that didn't neccesarily play online games, and most of them won't ever again. It will be pure randomness to see which other MMO will strike lucky and get that new breed of gamers looking for a different experience to Xbox Live. I doubt we will ever see another WoW success though - Guild Wars 2 will be succesful in the traditional sense, pre-WoW.

I hear ya, i agree mostly.  Its too early in the games life, people dont want to hear or discuss serious issues with the game.

Give it a few week.  No endgame will really smack most these kids back to reality.

Also using wow as a reference is a poor choice since all that game did is blend EQ and DAOC.

Agreeing with the premise that this game has done nothing new/revolutionary/groundbreaking.  Still fun for what its worth.

Maybe when GW2 drops its box price and goes completely f2p with a cash shop ill pick it up.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

How are you objectively measuring the "innovation level" of the two games? How are you defining innovation in the MMORPG genre? How sure are you that your experience with ToR applies to everyone else who's playing GW2? How sure are you that the factors you've listed are the primary drivers behind WoW's success? How sure are you that those drivers are relevant to GW2's success?

I'm not saying you're wrong. You might be right. It seems like you came to your conclusion first, and then rooted around for some reasons after reaching your conclusion (to me).

You've applied your personal experience to a million plus people. You're using a very loosely defined term in "innovation" and you're assuming that a portion of the factors that lead to WoW's success are the primary driving factors behind whether or not GW2 will be successful.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different.

ill gladly challenge this

when WOW launched, players had these choices for mmos (not just EQ and DAOC)

Anarchy Online
    Asherons Call
    Asherons Call 2
    City of Heroes
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Earth & Beyond
    Eve Online
    Everquest
    Everquest 2
    Final Fantasy XI
    Horizons (now called Istaria)
    Lineage
    Lineage II
    Second Life
    Shadowbane
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Ultima Online

there were many good mmos before WOW

Gamespy even did a mmo feature written in 2003 - a full year before WOW released

http://archive.gamespy.com/amdmmog/week4/index.shtml

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    You lost me at "ur".

Vivik-Cerberus
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

If you don't feel urge to explore and create your own story in Guild Wars 2, I don't understand how you can love fantasy worlds, but it's ok.

What I'd like to say, WoW didn't bring anything much mroe innovative to the table when it came out... Can you state why it was oh, so innovative? WoW was (and always has been) very successful, because it could take good parts and make very nice and subtle whole. If you look at all others so called "WoW clones" they basically copied WoW, but they couldn't bring the whole to same level as WoW.

I believe GW2 actually does it similarly. It takes a fresh approach at which parts to choose (to me it feels little bit step back to past), but it simply comines all the stuff very nicely and makes it very good "whole". Because generation of MMO players were brought up by WoW, GW2 will not be for everyone. It takes different approach to various things and some people won't be able to coop with that. But it's definitely fresh wind of "we can do it differently and it can still be very nicely done as well". I can only hope other developers catch this wind and we will see even more amazing games in future.

If you looking for REAL personal story, I'd suggest trying some sandbox games such as Wurm. But I don't think that's what you want anyway.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Only Reason

You gave me background information on GW2 and your personal opinion about it, but you still haven't told me why I'm really not having fun playing when I believe that I am.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by lizardbones

How are you objectively measuring the "innovation level" of the two games?

Not trying to write a novel about it, just saying there is nothing innovative about GW2. 

How are you defining innovation in the MMORPG genre?

As innovation i would say somthing that hasnt been done or if has its done better in a way that it felt different.

How sure are you that your experience with ToR applies to everyone else who's playing GW2?

Easy because I was posting same type of threads and now TOR is uninstalled.

How sure are you that the factors you've listed are the primary drivers behind WoW's success? How sure are you that those drivers are relevant to GW2's success?

I believe WoW's success was because it was created in what I would coin the Goldylocks Era. Not to few mmo's where theres not alot of players and not to late where there is a flood of MMO's (like today). It was made at the right time where there was only 2 to 4 other MMO's to even consider playing.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You might be right. It seems like you came to your conclusion first, and then rooted around for some reasons after reaching your conclusion (to me).

Sorry for that kinda sleepy

You've applied your personal experience to a million plus people. You're using a very loosely defined term in "innovation" and you're assuming that a portion of the factors that lead to WoW's success are the primary driving factors behind whether or not GW2 will be successful.

But isnt everyone on here who is saying they are having a blast comparing their personal experiences? I gave few reasons, but I hit on the main one. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Only Reason

You gave me background information on GW2 and your personal opinion about it, but you still haven't told me why I'm really not having fun playing when I believe that I am.

I did highlighted in Red

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

WAT? How is wow innovative for stealing everything good from mmo's and Gw2 is not? You don't make any sense

"I know this" yeah right. You comparing GW2 to 2 wow clones (each with 1 redeeming feature and everything else bad)?

How are the "quests" the same? the classes are the same? the grind is the same? you are still not making any sense.

Explain yourself instead 

You mean you cannot explore in GW2?

lolwut.

Well if you don't like it it's fine. Not every game is for everyone. I mean you even like Vanguard....

Thank you.

(btw where is the non bias perspective? I'd like to read it)

Originally posted by Kaleston

What I'd like to say, WoW didn't bring anything much mroe innovative to the table when it came out... Can you state why it was oh, so innovative? WoW was (and always has been) very successful, because it could take good parts and make very nice and subtle whole. If you look at all others so called "WoW clones" they basically copied WoW, but they couldn't bring the whole to same level as WoW.

Sorry to use WoW but i only used it because it was the most successful to date. I didnt even play wow till cata and i quit few months after that. WoW did what steve jobs did with the iphone. take something complex make it simple and the masses will love it. Im just saying GW2 isnt going the be like the android OS. aslo u guessed it, i dont have and iphone. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Only Reason

I did highlighted in Red

But.......I'm having fun.

Only Reason

I did highlighted in Red

And i said Glad you guys love the game, love it, more power to ya. 

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by Nadia

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different.

ill gladly challenge this

when WOW launched, players had these choices for mmos (not just EQ and DAOC)

Anarchy Online
    Asherons Call
    Asherons Call 2
    City of Heroes
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Earth & Beyond
    Eve Online
    Everquest
    Everquest 2
    Final Fantasy XI
    Horizons (now called Istaria)
    Lineage
    Lineage II
    Second Life
    Shadowbane
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Ultima Online

Gamespy even did a mmo feature written in 2003 - a full year before WOW released

He states that " 1 other MMO that was even worth playing was Everquest" not that it was the ONLY game you can play.

I also agree with the OP,  I just think we have alot of new generation gamers that want the simplicity of gaming, thus majority of games are not long term, they are short term, cause really, there isnt alot of set goals within the game,(ex. obtaining keys to access new areas, making it a goal to get that gear, or taking down a huge boss with 30+ other people,) yes these newer games, Tera,Rift and so on do offer a bit, but its like they are missing something, missing something that EQ and vanilla WoW offered.......

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Only thing apparent here is the lack of information/experience the OP has. I at least can admit to being wrong when a game exceeds my expectations and forethoughts. I thought GW2 would be more of the same, but I was sadly mistaken and I am in love with MMOs all over again. It's been a long time since I felt a game had a complete package... There have been some really great games the past couple of years, but they were really only great in a few ways. Rift - A lot of new innovative features and difficult dungeons, TSW - Amazing story and character immersion, TERA - Fun combat.

With GW2 I don't feel like there is a grind... there are tons of things to do and everything progresses your character. It will definitely keep me busy for a while and I am really enjoying my engineer.

The OP just seems like they want the game to fail, not because they think it sucks (That's what they want to believe), but because of the hype. They like being the one that said "I told you so" and are afraid to admit when something truly is good. To the OP: If you truly believe this game is such a failure that it will bust then please do a much better job explaining why... Your post is not at all convincing and it only shows your lack of experience with the game.

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80
    This has troll thread written all over it. The first paragraph was so uninformed and reeking of ignorance that there's no way someone was being serious with this thread.

Not trying to write a novel about it, just saying there is nothing innovative about GW2. 

Aha ok so GW2 does nothing innovative cause you said so. And that's it. Well i guess it's a pretty convincing argument.

As innovation i would say somthing that hasnt been done or if has its done better in a way that it felt different. 

So having a power plateu, the DE, the wvwvw, the jumping puzzles, the spvp etc.etc. is not innovation?

What was the last innovative game ? Ultima Online? Surely not WoW by this definition (even though you claimed wow was innovative in your first post... doesn't make much sense)

Easy because I was posting same type of threads and now TOR is uninstalled.

Ugh. Talk about being self centered. So GW2 will fail because you feel like that and unistalled TOR... marketing companies must really fight over you right now

I believe WoW's success was because it was created in what I would coin the Goldylocks Era. Not to few mmo's where theres not alot of players and not to late where there is a flood of MMO's (like today). It was made at the right time where there was only 2 to 4 other MMO's to even consider playing. 

Being lucky is innovative? 

But isnt everyone on here who is saying they are having a blast comparing their personal experiences? I gave few reasons, but I hit on the main one. 

No everyone is voicing their opinion saying they are having fun or that they aren't having fun.

They are not claiming "GW2 will fail because I am not liking it" like you did.

And when people ask you "why will Gw2 fail?" you answer "well according to my definition of innovation it's not innovative and i like Vanguard better so it will fail. Oh and i uninstalle TOR so i know what i'm talking about."

Excuse me but you're not very persuasive :)

Only Reason

I did highlighted in Red

It doesnt matter. He said GW2 will be a bust.

He doesn't like it and will stick with Vanguard. Arenanet is doomed.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by vardar
    Originally posted by Nadia

He states that " 1 other MMO that was even worth playing was Everquest" not that it was the ONLY game you can play.

and I challenge that all those mmos i listed were worth playing -- all the mmos had a good fanbase

especially Stars Wars Galaxies and Final Fantasy XI

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

When WoW was released, the only other MMORPG "worth playing" was Everquest?

Someone, tell me I didn't just read this, please... (I see someone else already corrected the OP on this).

Otherwise, yeah, some people like the OP believe that the EQ/WoW Clone "raid/gear grind" model is the only way to make a MMORPG, and those will most likely not like GW2. But there are also people who played Wow casually and never for the gear grind, and more important, all those who played games like Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, or even DAoC, who know that the EQ/WoW clone model is NOT the only one possible for a MMORPG.

Vanguard is another of those gear grind based games - and if the OP likes that model, I really can't blame him for playing games offering it - what I disagree with though is that once again, a poster pretends knowing that GW2 will "fail" (or here "be a bust") because if his own opinion of what a MMORPG should be.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

The only thing i agree on is the WOW part. I see alot of comparasions syaing GW2's doing what WOW did in 2004 and because so seem to believe that means it will be a sucess.

The situations where completly different.

Now, with that said, the only reason you state is because people will get bored of it in a few months. It's obviously a great possiblity. Many will leave the game for sure, even before the 1st month is up, however, there's no way to determine how many.

Hell, i don't even completly believe those who say this game'll grow after launch, but i still consider it a possibilty.

Declaring bust on a less than 1 week old game is just foolish. Not to meantion when you don't provide concrete facts about it. All you have is your opinion. Many are having fun right now. Sure, maybe the honeymoon period will be over eventually. Maybe it will last and will be here to stay. But, until then, how about abit of patience, and more facts, before the doom saying?

• syanmarsyanmar Member Posts: 29

+1 for the OP.  It's a personal opinion. On a gaming forum. Not some Quality feedback form for the company.

You can try to measure everything, still some just have it, some does not.

GW2 does not. 

Still I will give it some time, maybe I'll love it as I have loved the first one. 

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Only Reason

I know excatly what this is, don't even try to compare a game to your first MMO love :) Trust me, for me nothing will EVER come close to the feeling I got playing DAOC. I have to disagree with you that everquest was better, DAOC's PVP was amazing. 

For me GW2 is the best thing since DAOC, it's good enough. The only thing I miss is the sense of exploring I got from DAOC, could wander off for hours not knowing what I would find. GW2 is a little bit to "marked up". But the PVP is truly great. This will hold my attention for years, it's better than anything in the MMO market right now.