Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: a good sandbox game

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Originally posted by MaxJac

Haha nice picture :p

PS i It refer to the sentence "less violence, more violets" in the game which is pretty amusing. (i say that to the mods that are ban happy on anything troll related, i just comment the picture not the OP :p  )

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

@ OP

Seriously?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Threads like this appear in this forum every 10 days or so. Last time it did, we agreed to call GW2 Sandpark or Themebox.
  • MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

LOL GW2 a sandbox? Joke of the day..

saving villages from attacking bears 252 times does not make it sandbox, mate

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It's good game but is is not sandbox. Not even close. Not even sandpark - sandbox/themepark hybrid.

It is just themepark. It is as themepark as it can get.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Who cares what labels are applied to it. It's a very fun exploration rich game.

If the OP's aim was to entice players that normally only play game that have the stamp sandbox, then a better wording of the thread would've been something along the lines of "Why I think sandbox players will like this game".

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

The OP must be joking, GW2 is not a sandbox as many people have said, it is a theme park MMO, the freedom to do what you want within a zone is nice but it is still limited by what is there to do, the only difference is that instead of the game telling you which rides you must go to in which order you can just pick the rides yourself from the get go.

That doesnt make it any worse, its just a very very good theme park game. That really does add a bit more freedom within their rides.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Deriums
    I'm loving the game, but it's NOT a sandbox at all. You can't build anything (houses, bases, eye cndy), there are levels, item stats, limited interaction with the enviroment ect ect.

then darkfall also isnt a sandbox.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by coretex666
    It is pure themepark.

So far (1-15) it technically is though it hides it really well.  It's not a sandbox by any means though, sorry OP.  Personally I think there should be a few more catagories, themepark and sandbox just don't cut it anymore.

I would call GW2 a freeform game since it has backwards compatibility and events.

freeform is not what defines sandbox and themepark.

sandbox is define by the sand, as in, players can create and control the world. take Minecraft here. You can build the world you play in.

themepark/ sandbox has nothing to do with open world,m and freedom to explore. you could do that in any themepark mmo (WoW, EQ1, DAoC)

themepark mmo is a mmo designed around developer's control, as in developers content.

Originally posted by lilHeala

Who cares what labels are applied to it. It's a very fun exploration rich game.

If the OP's aim was to entice players that normally only play game that have the stamp sandbox, then a better wording of the thread would've been something along the lines of "Why I think sandbox players will like this game".

no the OP did it right. a Title like that gives it away, and most people that hate themepark wouldnt read it.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I hate themepark games where you go to one area get the quests and do them and move onto the next area. In GW2 you can explore every inch of every area. Don't have to do the story quest right away. Different areas to explore like all the starting areas for each race PLUS other areas. I don't feel like I'm in a linear game. But a nice relaxing sandbox style.

I am not going to get baited. ;)

Bite Me

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Lord... not sure where to start but this post almost feels like a flame bait but I will bite.

This game is a ThemePark to the letter. The zones are carefully designed for diffeent level brackets so to allow for the smoothest and (easiest) leveling. Ofcourse you could take your own path and piggy back on the more higher level people doing the heart quests and dynamic events but what would be the point? The game is extremely level based so you do not stand a chance against mobs just five levels above you.

Also the zones, what I have seen so far, are quite small which makes exploring a very short experience and even the PvP is quite controlled and linear (WvWvW not as much as the instanced one).

So this game is as ThemePark and linear as it gets, no idea where you are seeing sandbox features.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

GW2 is a themepark, and has nothing to do with a sandbox game.

Even if OP don't like the word themeparke, there really is no excuse to misslabel GW2 as a sandbox.

It is one of thesse threads that just should be locked for being outright wrong.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    I hate themepark games where you go to one area get the quests and do them and move onto the next area. In GW2 you can explore every inch of every area. Don't have to do the story quest right away. Different areas to explore like all the starting areas for each race PLUS other areas. I don't feel like I'm in a linear game. But a nice relaxing sandbox style.

I am not going to get baited. ;)

tthis words still make me lol xD

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    i feel the same way, i could easily find the portal to other areas, no restrictions is nice.
    Originally posted by jondifool

GW2 is a themepark, and has nothing to do with a sandbox game.

Even if OP don't like the word themeparke, there really is no excuse to misslabel GW2 as a sandbox.

It is one of thesse threads that just should be locked for being outright wrong.

yeah this topic is too obvious.

Bite Me

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    GW2 is a sandbox game alright. It might not be a game where all content comes from players (like EVE), but sandbox only implies a sense of freedom within the realm of a game. GW2 certainly offers enough freedom to be sandbox game.
  • DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57
    Hah, nice try trollface :)
  • VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Probably one of the most polished and well-rounded theme parks to date.

Because it is that, i won't be playing it. If i want to grind and compete constantly to get better with others, i can do something called work and get paid for it. I want to immerse myself in another world and do a bit more than hack 'n' slash.

I almost bought it though, as i'm sure it's an excellent game, but a game i couldn't see playing past 3 months like all the rest as i know the longevity consists of just beating up other people to get better clothes. I can do that in single player games without having the treadmill.

Originally posted by IPolygon
    GW2 is a sandbox game alright. It might not be a game where all content comes from players (like EVE), but sandbox only implies a sense of freedom within the realm of a game. GW2 certainly offers enough freedom to be sandbox game.

Not only sense of freedom but also gives you tools to make use of that freedom. like EVE and UO.

I am not even surprised that some of the most hardcore GW2 fans are agreeing with OP, maybe that was his intention.

Bite Me

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Atlan99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I

This thread made me think of this.

That's what I thought at first, too, but then that's not Syno23's style really. I think it's just humor that went awry.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Themepark straight down the middle. Firing the Tour guide guide doesn't stop the rides being there it just means you have to search for them yourself :p

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

I find it funny that what the OP says most of you go on the defensive, my guess is most of you have no clue what a true sandbox game is, mention eve and honestly , eve is as fun as Microsoft Excel, I played it for afew years.

To me a sandbox means huge wide open world , with scattered quests that doesn't have one or two quests hubs in a single area.

My example of sandbox games, FE, Shadow Bane , EQ , SWG , Earth and beyond , PS1 , Never played Darkfall so can't coment, but to me GW2 feels little like the rest of these sandboxes that I mentioned. There's alot more to a Sandbox mmorpg than just building crap, that started with SWG , but was not the first sandbox, and the way GW2 has these dynamic events placed with the way the world is layed out , with the lack of a quest hub , to me this is a sandbox with some themepark elements , example , story quest , and the starter cities are the real only themepark elements. So, as I said , having played those games that I have mentioned I know what a sandbox is , is GW2 a true sandbox ? No but it has some of the elements that make up a sandox, vice versa for themepark lables as well.

For the rest of you who say to lock this thread based on what the OP said, grow up and get out, because everyone has a right to their own opinion, and when you talk like that you sound like a bloody idiot.

Originally posted by Aeolron

I find it funny that what the OP says most of you go on the defensive, my guess is most of you have no clue what a true sandbox game is, mention eve and honestly , eve is as fun as Microsoft Excel, I played it for afew years.

To me a sandbox means huge wide open world , with scattered quests that doesn't have one or two quests hubs in a single area.

My example of sandbox games, FE, Shadow Bane , EQ , SWG , Earth and beyond , PS1 , Never played Darkfall so can't coment, but to me GW2 feels little like the rest of these sandboxes that I mentioned. There's alot more to a Sandbox mmorpg than just building crap, that started with SWG , but was not the first sandbox, and the way GW2 has these dynamic events placed with the way the world is layed out , with the lack of a quest hub , to me this is a sandbox with some themepark elements , example , story quest , and the starter cities are the real only themepark elements. So, as I said , having played those games that I have mentioned I know what a sandbox is , is GW2 a true sandbox ? No but it has some of the elements that make up a sandox, vice versa for themepark lables as well.

For the rest of you who say to lock this thread based on what the OP said, grow up and get out, because everyone has a right to their own opinion, and when you talk like that you sound like a bloody idiot.

That is the beauty of having an opinion. You can get away with just anything.

In my opinion EVE is a best themepark MMO because it offers daily missions...

Bite Me