Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is this game fun or different?

GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
I load up my friends account because I refuse to pay 60 bucks before i even try this out. Ok take some story elements from Tor, take some PQ's from WAR, take the easy leveling from WoW, take the fracked up skills system from...(you pick), and how is this different then what is out there already? [mod edit]

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

We can't tell you if it's going to be fun for you.

As to different, not really all that amazingly different. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by Goldknyght
    I load up my friends account because I refuse to pay 60 bucks before i even try this out. Ok take some story elements from Tor, take some PQ's from WAR, take the easy leveling from WoW, take the fracked up skills system from...(you pick), and how is this different then what is out there already? [mod edit]

How was WOW different? It didn't really have anything completely unique but it just took the whole experience to a new level. GW2 polishes lots of existing mechanics and brings them to a next level. The game cannot be judged as a 'feature list', it's more than sum of it's features. And yes, it does innvoate a lot unlike most one trick MMO's recently released. You can check my blog  as you are propably oh-so-interested in reading more of my thoughts now :)

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    It's not really as different as some like to claim. However, it is pretty fun as far as themepark MMORPGs go.
  • TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263
    I hate to reply to this kind of threads because people will mark me as a fanboy, but anyway, if you fail to see how is this game different than most MMOs that is your problem and if I take the time to make a list of the differences between GW2 and others MMO you will just disregard or belittle them because judging by your post you just hate the game, just like some people hate WoW for no apparent reason.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    They really didnt change much. other than dropping the emphasis on the holy trinity. its the only real Different thing that has been done in GW2. go ahead and name features and ill name other games that have them.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Hey, you know all those abilites on your hobar? Try switching to another weapon, see all those other abilities? Yep, once you level up, you'll be able to switch to every single one of those in combat eventually (just by switching to a different weapon..there are exceptions to this). That's different. Once you level up, you'll be able to do dungeons, guess what? You won't need a tank OR or a  healer? Amazing right? Oh hey, try doing some WvWvW, the zones are HUGE and overwhelming. I mean, seriously, they're really big, like gigantic. Oh yea, the leveling process is almost completely different. There's a main quest storyline, but other than that, there aren't quests! That's different. Let's see, you also get experience for almost everything you do, regular experience. Harvesting, exploring the world. PvP, crafting, did I forget anything there? There's quite a bit about the game that's different. GW2 took a very different approach to the MMO genre, it's up to you to consider whether or not it's fun.
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    They really didnt change much. other than dropping the emphasis on the holy trinity. its the only real Different thing that has been done in GW2. go ahead and name features and ill name other games that have them.

Ok, how about the downing system that let you fight when you die, how about skills based on weapons, how about traits, how about the underwater combat.

- Unique endgame approach.

- Progression model.

- Living world.

- Removing tedium from MMO.

There are only a few. Some of those might to some extent excist in other games but tell me a game that has put even all of those features together? Or done it with such high production values? There are a lot more that could be listed if you want to :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

UMM the story elements aren't anything like TORs, its more akin to say Dragon Age or the original guild wars. WAR stole the idea of PQs from ANET when they annoucned how they would work in 2006. And how can you say a leveling system is WoWs when its been around since at least EQ? And how could you leave out DAoC style WvW?

The dynamic events are fun (although some are a bit repetitive), the story line elements add replayability and character to people who like making alts (since you won't have the exact same experience).

I wouldn't say the game is different than a standard themepark, its just executed better. Thats why people like Rift, its the standard Themepark modle, just executed a little bit better. GW2 is executed better than rift so there you go.  

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by ace80k
    Hey, you know all those abilites on your hobar? Try switching to another weapon, see all those other abilities? Yep, once you level up, you'll be able to switch to every single one of those in combat eventually (just by switching to a different weapon..there are exceptions to this). That's different. Once you level up, you'll be able to do dungeons, guess what? You won't need a tank OR or a  healer? Amazing right? Oh hey, try doing some WvWvW, the zones are HUGE and overwhelming. I mean, seriously, they're really big, like gigantic. Oh yea, the leveling process is almost completely different. There's a main quest storyline, but other than that, there aren't quests! That's different. Let's see, you also get experience for almost everything you do, regular experience. Harvesting, exploring the world. PvP, crafting, did I forget anything there? There's quite a bit about the game that's different. GW2 took a very different approach to the MMO genre, it's up to you to consider whether or not it's fun.

1 - Abilities switching with weapon - TSW with more restrictions.

2 - The Dimishshed presence of the holy trinity is the only DIfference ill give.

3 - WvWvW - WAR Realm Vs Realm - DAoC - RvR

4 - lack of quests - Insert any Sandbox game here

5 - Experiance gain on everything - Rift - if im not mistaken you gain experiance for Crafting, Exploring yada yada.

What is this differance you speak of.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Good thing you had the opportunity to share your uninformed opinion.  You don't realize how much better we'll all sleep at night knowing that someone who knows nothing about the game, had the chance to tell us about it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Don't mistaken me for a troll, i'm not, if you enjoy the game kudos to you. just don't try saying this game is Innovative, it's not. it just picked up things from other games and said "look we came up with this"

Because i can.

Don't mistaken me for a troll, i'm not, if you enjoy the game kudos to you. just don't try saying this game is Innovative, it's not. it just picked up things from other games and said "look we came up with this"

Answer my post, please, also innovation does not require to make a whole different game, it just take a few minor changes, and excuse me but adding all those features on a subscription free MMO sounds innovative to me.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So what other games use active patching without shutting down the servers? I don't recall any games that have resources for each player instead of shared nodes.  Are there lots of games that use no hit tagging and full xp and loot for contribution?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Games are not feature lists. People are not necassarily excited about the game because of it's features but because how they are executed. Innovative is thrown around a lot this game, I've written a whole blog about it. Feel free to disagree, but IMO this is the sort of innovation I have been waiting for.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

This game is Innovative. That is all.

Originally posted by TrunksZ

Ok, how about the downing system that let you fight when you die, how about skills based on weapons, how about traits, how about the underwater combat.

Missed one.

1- Fighting when dead - First of all im not sure on this i would like more explanation before i can actually attribute it to something.

2 - SKills based on weapons - TSW with more restrictions

3 - Traits(im guessing Passives gained from actions- LOTRO.

4 - Underwater combat - do i REALLY need to make you a list.

Being innovative is creating something new. its closely attributed to Originality but not quite as harsh.

Being innovative would be drasticly changing something that is a staple in the MMO genre. The Leveless and Classless structure from TSW was innovative.

making the game not require the holy trinity is not because not every MMO holds it. Themepark maybe, MMO no.

Because i can.

This is the reason I don't post in threads like this I always end arguing with someone, probably because his interpretation of innovative is probably not the same as mine.

I am out.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Leauge of Legends is free.

Missed one.

1- Fighting when dead - First of all im not sure on this i would like more explanation before i can actually attribute it to something.

I am starting to wonder if you even have played the game, let me explain point 1, when someone defeats you, you have certain amount of time to fight back on the ground and even revive yourself if you have the chance, also enemies have to finish you in order to kill you, and what I am talking about underwater combat is how skills change when you go underwater and you can't use the same set of skills that you use outside the water.

Ah ok ok, i get it now. Kinda cool actually ill give them that one.

Underwater combat then can be attibuted to anything that uses things like Mounted Combat aswell. its basically a set a abilities given to a specific situation. so my answer, Legends of the 3 kindoms/Heroes of the 3 kingdoms.

and no i have not played it, However i have read over posts, info, articles, and watched videos to get the ideas i need. im not dropping 60 bucks to play another fantasy game. i am also Unbias, (as much as i can be) as i have talked about the negatives of the game i prefer (TSW) .

I still wont use the Innovative title on it. i will say its clever however. the game is clever and looking quite insteresting, and i have no doubts its good. as i said before, Not innovative.

Because i can.

Missed one.

I am starting to wonder if you even have played the game, let me explain point 1, when someone defeats you, you have certain amount of time to fight back on the ground and even revive yourself if you have the chance, also enemies have to finish you in order to kill you, and what I am talking about underwater combat is how skills change when you go underwater and you can't use the same set of skills that you use outside the water.

Underwater combat then can be attibuted to anything that uses things like Mounted Combat aswell. its basically a set a abilities given to a specific situation. so my answer, Legends of the 3 kindoms/Heroes of the 3 kingdoms.

and no i have not played it, However i have read over posts, info, articles, and watched videos to get the ideas i need. im not dropping 60 bucks to play another fantasy game. i am also Unbias, (as much as i can be) as i have talked about the negatives of the game i prefer (TSW) .

yeah thanks for losing 10 minutes of my life, lol, I guess is my fault too.

You keep ignoring my responses? :)

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by ace80k

1 - Abilities switching with weapon - TSW with more restrictions.

2 - The Dimishshed presence of the holy trinity is the only DIfference ill give.

3 - WvWvW - WAR Realm Vs Realm - DAoC - RvR

4 - lack of quests - Insert any Sandbox game here

5 - Experiance gain on everything - Rift - if im not mistaken you gain experiance for Crafting, Exploring yada yada.

What is this differance you speak of.

The difference? They're not in all in WoW, ie not a WoW clone, not combined in any other game. That's different. Just to add, Sandbox MMO, who plays them? Name a mainstream sandbox MMO. Darkfall, uhh no one plays it. Sandbox MMO's are a myth. You don't gain experience for crafting in Rift, you do for exploration, but it's pretty standard as far as experience goes. You gain crafting experience, which is different. GW2 is different, end of story. Oh, and it's F2P right from the get-go, sure you need to buy the intial box, but still..it's not P2win.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

That's the point

That's the whole point being missed and it will foreever be missed.

It's a good thing that both TSW and GW2 managed to do(course GW2 does it a bit more) but they both will always have this point being missed, but eh well, enjoy life guys and be easy.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by vee41

Games are not feature lists. People are not necassarily excited about the game because of it's features but because how they are executed. Innovative is thrown around a lot this game, I've written a whole blog about it. Feel free to disagree, but IMO this is the sort of innovation I have been waiting for.

FIne ill respond do it directly. Its not innovation but its not a bad idea. Innovation would be the people who made the ideas. in a sense GW2 can easily be consitered the Glue.

GW2 took the good ideas from everything else and pushed into one package. Still not innovative since it wasnt their ideas, however not a bad thing because it is a good step.

Because i can.