Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best sandbox at the moment?

YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61

Apart from Eve what would people say was the most polished and also the best sandbox to play right now

Good PvP

Player choice of being a fighter, crafter or trader etc

high emphasis on multiplayer and working in teams and clans

good player ran economy so that players cant really play without working/trading with other players

from what ive seen a game like this doesnt seem to be out right now but maybe someone could shed some light on some games

Cheers,

Comments

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

Tough question and I think the answer is none of the current games that can arguably be considered sandboxish provide a quality experience in all of these areas though each has its strengths and weakness.

I'm confused by your comment about a player ran economy since having to deal directly with other players in the exchange of goods and services is at the heart of a truly player ran economy though perhaps you're referring to having good in-game features to faciliate this exchange which is definitely a value question.

While I'll allow the masses to hash out the relative merits of each of the games currently on the market, I think the following would have to at least be in the list: Mortal Online, DarkFall, Fallen Earth, Perpetuum, and Xyson though they all vary greatly in what they offer and where their strengths lie.

There are other more fringe of the fringe games out there but I think these are your primary options.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Ultima Online - Siege Perilous server. Only 1 character per account, and most play non-crafters. The ones that do play in the server are needed a lot. It's an open PVP shard, no safe spots outside towns. UO has always had an emphasis on multiplayer. Population is fine, and there's a guild entirely based on helping new players. I can get you in if you want. If you wear the guild tag most people on the server won't kill you (or at least loot you). Only accepts players for a month, though.

• YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the replys i shall check out the games you have recommended
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Believe me, no other title then EvE Online is currently worth playing if you're interested in a sandbox where playing as a crafter or trader is a 100% viable option.

Crafting and trading is only a sidegame in all the other MMOs, whereas it's the foundation of EvE Online.

• Dynamite2787Dynamite2787 Member Posts: 1
    What exactly is a Sandbox?
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Believe me, no other title then EvE Online is currently worth playing if you're interested in a sandbox where playing as a crafter or trader is a 100% viable option.

Crafting and trading is only a sidegame in all the other MMOs, whereas it's the foundation of EvE Online.

I'd disagree. Ultima Online and Wurm both lets a player play a crafter entirely too. There's more smaller games that allows the playstyle too, but not enough of a population to support it sadly.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Sadly apart from EVE there is currently not much sandbox games worth playing.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I would check out DayZ man.  This game is a real gem.  Its a FPS but its a survival sandbox, with full looting and permadeath (if you can make it to your corpse before someone else does you can get your stuff back).  There is a huge 250 square kilometer un instanced map based on the real geography of Russia.  Its honestly some of the most fun I've had.  You can repair vehicles (cars, bikes, trucks, helicopters, etc.) and drive/fly them around.  It has real weather, and a real time day night cycle (zombies at night is TERRIFYING when you haven't found night vision).  You can build cover (sandbags and barbwire), set up tents, etc.

Pretty cool alpha stage sandbox mod game that is getting a standalone client because of its huge success.  Worth the $30 bucks I paid for it.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Draron

Ultima Online - Siege Perilous server. Only 1 character per account, and most play non-crafters. The ones that do play in the server are needed a lot. It's an open PVP shard, no safe spots outside towns. UO has always had an emphasis on multiplayer. Population is fine, and there's a guild entirely based on helping new players. I can get you in if you want. If you wear the guild tag most people on the server won't kill you (or at least loot you). Only accepts players for a month, though.

Ultima Online died when the 3rd party programs with skripting macros came.

OP, your best bet is to wait couple more months when SWGemu is finished. Until then I suggess DCUO.

Originally posted by Kopogero

OP, your best bet is to wait couple more months when SWGemu is finished. Until then I suggess DCUO.

Game sure is dead when you can't find a place to put a house on most servers. Been playing for 2 years almost and haven't ran into one cheater in game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Kopogero

DC Universe Online?

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Play EVE. 

Seriously, if you want to be a master of industry, producing goods and selling on an open market, then play EVE. 

It does take work in the beginning, work in the sense that you'll have to actually be driven to want to succeed in this feild.  You can always buy a couple of plex to make things easier on yourself; they're selling for around 500m isk right at the moment. 

The market is my favorite part of EVE.  I feel like a ruthless businessman, trying to corner markets.  I've come to know who my competition is, and I take joy in knowing that I prevent them from making as much money as I do.

But then, I am Caldari.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by Yalexy

The veracity of this statement is dubious at best.

Many players earn a living as crafters, traders, and miners in Vendetta Online.  There is even a guild dedicated entirely to crafting player-owned cap ship parts.  Check out the manufacturing list if you don't believe me, and see what some of these parts are valued at by some players.  VO has a manufacturing economy that is tied to mining, territory control, and trade.

Other than this, statements like "no other" and "all other" are difficult to prove.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I've never played it, but there is always a crowd that swears by Darkfall. It's suppose to be getting a major update in the near future, so maybe you could look into that.

My personal recommendations go to Ryzom and Mabinogi, however PvP is not the biggest feature in either of those games. And the playerbase is naturally small, as is the case with most sandboxes beyond Eve.

There is a list of all noteworthy sandbox games currently out in the Pub boards. You could possibly search for that thread.

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Haven and Hearth hits everything on your checklist. Crafter, trader, farmer, hunter. It's pretty much necessary to know someone from each classification to make a decent living in the game. And even after that those break down into more specific "classes" crafter's go from cooks, blacksmiths, etc. Traders can be local or get a caravan and just trade whatever they pick up along a route. Farmers can be herbalists, animal herders and more. And hunters are starting to break into more specific things like bounty hunters, trackers, and fisherman.  There's a huge map with no housing restrictions, player built cities are constantly at war (even political wars start up from time to time). Though the player economy is shoddy at best, the trade among fellow villagers and neighbors is really important. The game is given a lot of flak because of gankers or just cause of the graphics, but imo the key to getting into the game is to start out with a small group that knows the game a bit and build up a city with em and learn the little secrets to the game. Starting alone or with a large well-established city is almost always a terrible idea. And keep an eye on Salem, which is basically Haven and Hearth 2.0.  ..Sorry for the wall of text btw.

There isn't much else that comes to mind right now besides SWGemu, Darkfall, Ryzom (sorta), Mortal Online, and if you decide to wait, look out for The Repopulation and ArcheAge.

And to the poster who mentioned Vendetta, it's good to see someone who recognizes indie MMO's. Vendetta is a pretty great sandbox and I don't think I've ever heard someone else mention it on these forums..

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Pretty much Darkfall. Because all other games don't meet the basic requirement of "Good PVP".

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I have found that the best Sandbox games have the least amount of polish. I'd call them diamonds in the rough. Right now I am playing Shores of Hazeron. It is the best Sci Fi Space Sim I have ever seen, but the graphics are placeholders that look like they came from the early 1990's. Still I am a real gamer and could care less about graphics. I play to have fun. I don't care about how realistically my characters oversized boobs bounce, and honestly the graphics from the latest batch of AAA's have been pretty terrible themselves. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by Drvanitus

Pretty much Darkfall. Because all other games don't meet the basic requirement of "Good PVP".

Yet Darkfall doesn't meet the basic requirements of being a "good game". The fact players are stuck in a neverending grind since skills don't have caps ruins it for me. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve.
  • hopdoghopdog Member Posts: 110
    Take it with a grain of salt if you will IMO the best and true sandbox game out has to be Minecraft. though the graphics can be lacking if you dont download a texture pack i would highly suggest it.  as far as comunity plenty of servers out there to chose from pvp/pve/misc patch's for venila are almost monthly and tons of player made mods check it out on youtube if you want.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Drvanitus

Yet Darkfall doesn't meet the basic requirements of being a "good game". The fact players are stuck in a neverending grind since skills don't have caps ruins it for me. 

Guess you missed the news about the super skill gain boost then?

You can probally max your character out in a month now... US server prob still has people playing but sadly the EU one is basically dead... Most of us went to GW2 for a bit. .tho i got bored of that and am now playing Planetside 2... hopefully one day DF 2.0 will happen or somthnig better will come along.

I seen someone mention Shores of Hazeron, now the base of that game is awesome its just a shame the engine looks like somthing from the 90s.. i could not get anyone to play it with me haha.. If they ever update the engine then thats one to look out for thats for sure..

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am try every sandbox game , I think ,but  every time I am back to EVE.
    When I left SWG the hunt was on. I passed over several really fun Indie MMOs that I play today because the graphics were so bad. I eventually found that only the games that look horrible offer any depth or innovation. So I put on my blinders and just let myself enjoy the game without thinking of how bad it looks. After awhile you appreciate a good game that is more than a treadmill with pretty pixels.  The games with the absolutely worst graphics have provided me with the most entertainment that I have had since the NGE crushed my spirit.

• natonnnatonn Member UncommonPosts: 21

Hi

I've been playing Xsyon for the last year. For me its the best at the items you've listed. It needs work and a larger community, but I'll deal until it gets there. 

I tried the others listed and just couldn't get into them. I won't spend time boring you with my reasons. Have fun researching. 

Originally posted by natonn

Hi

I've been playing Xsyon for the last year. For me its the best at the items you've listed. It needs work and a larger community, but I'll deal until it gets there. 

I tried the others listed and just couldn't get into them. I won't spend time boring you with my reasons. Have fun researching. 

Xsyon is moving forward. I have tried it twice, and if you love to terraform and craft it is the game for you. If you like PVP with a purpose then you will have to work hard to find it.

My clan leader has actually been put in charge of PR for the game, and assures me that he has the developers ear, and that changes are coming that will make this game an actual sandbox.