Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten Ton Hammer Review is in....

2»

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by travamars

I didnt write the article so dont take it out on me. All games have flaws so dont get so upset everytime someone points one out to you.

Don't act innocent.  Anyone who's been following the thread can see you manipulated the situation to suit your POV, and then put words into my and the article writer's mouths, throwing in an insult or two.  Then apparently reported me for it.  Proud of yourself?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Guys, the topic here is the TTH piece, not each other, post history, personal arguments, etc.  Cleaning this up some, but let's keep it on the actual topic from here on.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

rofl @ 97 for graphics. Are they kidding? This game is straight out of 2004. Turn off post processing and you will see the bland models and low res textures. "Shiny" effects do not equal quality graphics. 

People have no eye for quality. It reminds me of the idiots that buy TVs at Best Buy because their brightness levels have been maxed at the factory - thus catching the eye on the store shelf. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Scores seem a bit inflated but I guess that is expected from a review which is really just a first impression. However the 97 score for the GFX is insane. Sure the art-style is nice but TERA's GFX, from a technical point of view, is far superior so I guess that game will get 120 in GFX then?

And 97 in Sound? The music is great but the sound effects are mediocre so another completely wrong score. And it is wrong because technically also the sound effects are not all that good.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by travamars
    Massively also has a review but i dont think the fanboi's will like it. Probably why there isn't a link here from them. It gives an actual honest take on the game.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/a-critical-look-at-guild-wars-2/

Even though this thread is about TTH's review... but yeah, the reviewer says GW2 is a great game and they love it, they didn't give it a bad "score".  I even agree with the writer about the voice acting.

Thumbs up to Massively for having the balls to tell it like it is. The game is good, he says great in fact, but it does have flaws. The biggest one, imo, are the dynamic quests which (again, like Rift) are little more then Warhammer Onlines Public Quests. They change nothing substantial in the world and are basically just random, chained quests which anyone can participate in.

That is not bad per se but nowhere what I expected it to be.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"The NPCs offering tasks to do will have gold hearts outlined over their heads, which explains why the system is called Renown Hearts. When you’ve completed their tasks, the heart will fill in, and you’ll have gained just a little more street cred in Tyria--otherwise known as Karma."

That bit is unfortunate, as it doesn't indicate that you have a handful of different things you can do which advance a status bar, where you can do all of one thing or a combination of all things to satisfy it.  A person(espesh a cynical MMO'er not unlike myself) might think you have to either choose one of the tasks and stick to it, or satisfy a static amount of each one.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Yamota

Thumbs up to Massively for having the balls to tell it like it is. The game is good, he says great in fact, but it does have flaws. The biggest one, imo, are the dynamic quests which (again, like Rift) are little more then Warhammer Onlines Public Quests. They change nothing substantial in the world and are basically just random, chained quests which anyone can participate in.

The fact that you compare DE's to PQ's and Rifts shows that you haven't played the game or gotten out of the lv10 area if you indeed do play the game.

Don't believe me? Try disproving any of the following:

1. Neither PQ's nor Rifts have consequence. DE's might not completely change the world, but it is an inarguable fact that beating and failing DE's have different effects on the world.

2. Neither PQ's nor Rifts respond to player interaction, they are simply on a timer. DE's on the other hand have no such timer and only occur after certain conditions in the world are met, conditions that are affected by players and the outcomes of other DE's.

3. Neither PQ's nor Rifts scale to # of players. DE's do, nuff said.

4. Both PQ's and Rifts require players to stay in the vicinity to be rewarded. DE's reward you based on contribution and do not require you to stay in that area to reap the rewards of your efforts.

Those four points show that while similar in some aspects, DE's are fundamentally different from both PQ's and Rifts.

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by Yamota

The fact that you compare DE's to PQ's and Rifts shows that you haven't played the game or gotten out of the lv10 area if you indeed do play the game.

Don't believe me? Try disproving any of the following:

1. Neither PQ's nor Rifts have consequence. DE's might not completely change the world, but it is an inarguable fact that beating and failing DE's have different effects on the world.

2. Neither PQ's nor Rifts respond to player interaction, they are simply on a timer. DE's on the other hand have no such timer and only occur after certain conditions in the world are met, conditions that are affected by players and the outcomes of other DE's.

3. Neither PQ's nor Rifts scale to # of players. DE's do, nuff said.

4. Both PQ's and Rifts require players to stay in the vicinity to be rewarded. DE's reward you based on contribution and do not require you to stay in that area to reap the rewards of your efforts.

Those four points show that while similar in some aspects, DE's are fundamentally different from both PQ's and Rifts.

Wow thats a very misinformed post. If anything I would say you have never played Rift or Warhammer. If you fail a Rift invasion the entire zone can and will be taken over. The events certainly scale with the number of players and in Rift I have actually logged out during a Rift invasion and gotten credit and rewards for it when I logged in the next day. Also the Invasions are triggered by population in game and in a zone. 

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Zyllos
    In 3 days, you could have only sank 84 hours so far (assuming rotating the same character with different players, being on 24 hours a day).

I think after 84 hours you're allowed to judge if you like the game or not lol.

I mean I personally know if I'm gonna like the game within the first 5 mins.