Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will bleed more of my time than WoW ever did.

AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

Let me start by saying that I am a veteran of World of Warcraft.  I spent the better part of 5 years enthralled with that game.  The sheer enormity of the lands, the lack of load times between areas, and the amount of things to do was enough to hold my attention for years, like I am sure many others.  I ran the gamut of what WoW had to offer, from PvE to Raiding at all hours of the night (I used to raid with a group from Europe because they raided in the morning and that was basically the only time I could play).  Setting my alarm for 3 AM leaving just enough time to brew a cup of coffee before burning 6 hrs in Zul Gurub healing non-stop.  The amount of time I lost to WoW was incredible.

But I always felt the need to burn through the levels, swallow up content, never really reading any quest text, just went from one objective to the next, always looking for the next piece of better gear.  I never paid much attention to the world around me, never stopped to take in the sights, just ran as fast and as hard as I could from one quest hub to the next and levelled as fast as I could.  And while it was a fun ride, it wasn't as rewarding as it could have been.  But I really had nothing to compare it to since WoW was my first real MMO.

Then GuildWars 2 came along and I was hooked from the original teaser videos.  The world looked gorgeous!  I watched that first panel from the ArenaNet folks where they talked about the game and was amazed at the depth and thought that went into it.  I was ready to preorder with every tidbit that they released.  And playing through the betas just solidified what I already knew, this was the one for me.

After playing the headstart, I find myself taking my time, reading all the personal story dialogue, getting immersed in the world and the story.  And the dynamic events system is incredible, I have never felt such camaraderie in a game before, where you can just go in an area and beat the hell out of everything, revive fallen players and get a sense of completion and teaming that I never felt in WoW.

There are so many little things about the game that make it even more of a wonderful place.  I love the vistas, the challenge to get to them and the panorama that you get when you do just gives you a sense of what a handcrafted world it really is.  Not to mention the gathering nodes that you don't have to fight for, the crafting system that makes it fun to experiment to find new things, and the ease of dropping all those gathered materials to your collection from anywhere in the world while you go out and forage some more without having to shuttle all your excess crap at the nearest mailbox to your mule toon parked at the bank.

Call me a fanboi or whatever you like, I just wanted to write this to show my appreciation for an incredible game that I have not been able to put down and am so looking forward to playing again when I get the next free moment.  To everyone else that is enjoying this game with me, hope to see you in game and fight alongside you.  Excelsior!

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm happy for you. I'm glad you enjoy the game so far.

For me, I like the artwork, but I find that other recently-released games on on par with anything that GW2 does. So, while nice, it certainly doesn't blow me away.

Until there is some type of meaningful progression in PvP, this game won't even come close to the time that I spent playing WoW, or Rift, or Aion, etc.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• westrunzilwestrunzil Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by Boardwalker

For me, I like the artwork, but I find that other recently-released games on on par with anything that GW2 does. So, while nice, it certainly doesn't blow me away.

Until there is some type of meaningful progression in PvP, this game won't even come close to the time that I spent playing WoW, or Rift, or Aion, etc.

I agree

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

If by PVP proogression you mean ppl that PVP alot will have stronger characters than those that don't--nope, you probably won't be spending as much time with GW2.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I've already got 60 hours logged.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by APRIME

If by PVP proogression you mean ppl that PVP alot will have stronger characters than those that don't--nope, you probably won't be spending as much time with GW2.

Truth and this is one of the primary reasons I will stick with this game. If you want skill based PVP there will be tournaments that run for the SPvP matches. Some of those may even have cash prizes (which I think is brilliant). So instead of rewarding people with items to lord over everyone else, they just toss them a nice chunk of change. I can be happy for them and they don't have to impact everyones game experience. 

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Yep, you're right, I probably won't. I wonder how many people would stick around if they applied the same principle to PVE progression.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    For my taste / from my persective I disagree that other 'major' mmo's in recent years are on par.  I tried nearly all of them in varying amounts actively looking for something good enough to fill my time until GW2.  All of them FOR ME had several things immediately that I either disliked or made the game not fun.  I haven't had any so far in GW2.  I do however understand and appreciate the fact that others have found games they can enjoy for a long stretch.  I don't usually make it a habit to go around bashing other games for a number of reasons, but one of them is that if I really wanted to I could find some enjoyment in probably any of them if I ignore the things I dislike.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yep, you're right, I probably won't. I wonder how many people would stick around if they applied the same principle to PVE progression.

They do. You will actually become better if you level up all the way through PvP and there is top gear you can get there as well as PvP. It just aint tiered PvP gear or raid gear as in Wow and that might of course be a probalem to many players.

Not really for me, I play PvP for adrenaline, not to grind gear.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

i like the game, but c'mon now~ for ppl who played wow for more than 5 years, i am sure u did put hell of time in it. i started wow in 2004, but hell, i am very sure there's no other game can compete in terms of fun and time i got out of it or putted in wow .  even though i dont play now, i still miss the time i spent in that game.

especially i still think vanilla av was the best pvp ever. too epic.