Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure hype: that's all GW2 is

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I admit that I'm luving the game too. I'm having a ton of fun. But it happens over and over and over again. I saw it with Age of Conan, Warhammer, Aion, SW:TOR, The Secret World. People say oh I've bene playing MMOs since Ultima Online and this is the best MMORPG of all time. This thing trumps everything else.

They said it with SW:TOR and all the other let downs. Just crap. Then 6 months later they're complaining on the forums about how terrible the game is and that it should fail and that the new big baddest thing will trump it. GW2 for instance.

But yeah, I'm in that same boat. I honestly thing that GW2 will be sucessful for the years to come. And hopefully that hype/honeymoon stage will never ever go.

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Umm,....so what is the purpose of this post exactly?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I keep reading reviews about how people think that GW2 is the best game/mmorpg after playing MMOs since Ultima Online. But they say that about every MMO why would GW2 be different. And 6 months later they complain about no endgame and how terrible and boring the game is.

• dreemlifedreemlife Member Posts: 3
    So again, what was the purpose of this post already? To prove other people's wrong or to start a troll adventure?
  • vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by Syno23

I keep reading reviews about how people think that GW2 is the best game/mmorpg after playing MMOs since Ultima Online. But they say that about every MMO why would GW2 be different. And 6 months later they complain about no endgame and how terrible and boring the game is.

On level 80 you just have all the games content available, that is the 'endgame'. Of course peopel are excited and of course it will wane off a bit. That does not mean GW2 isn't different though, and that is why we are excited. We all have played and enjoyed it by now so we know that it is different and something we like.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

which brings up the point, has it been six months yet? and oh yeah, people are still playing the first week the sales figures are not in yet. 

You need to revise your title of your post because it sounds just like the other monsters-under-the-bridge that come here causing trouble all the time with nonsense posts. That's the other side of the coin you see, all the naysayers eventually come around and start playing when a game like GW2 comes to town after they spent the first month complaining about how different it is.

Originally posted by vee41

On level 80 you just have all the games content available, that is the 'endgame'. Of course peopel are excited and of course it will wane off a bit. That does not mean GW2 isn't different though, and that is why we are excited. We all have played and enjoyed it by now so we know that it is different and something we like.

And I have to admit that I love the game too. Hoping this time that expansions are released early on so that I can keep interested. But WvWvW is a beast itself, exploring, crafting, sPvP. So much to do lol.

Originally posted by itgrowls

which brings up the point, has it been six months yet? and oh yeah, people are still playing the first week the sales figures are not in yet. 

You need to revise your title of your post because it sounds just like the other monsters-under-the-bridge that come here causing trouble all the time with nonsense posts. That's the other side of the coin you see, all the naysayers eventually come around and start playing when a game like GW2 comes to town after they spent the first month complaining about how different it is.

I'm not going to say anything bad about GW2. And no it hasn't been 6 months yet lol.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

So are you agreeing with the reviews or expecting the game to crap out in a few months?

Originally posted by vigg2004

So are you agreeing with the reviews or expecting the game to crap out in a few months?

So far, it's accurate GW2 is a good game. And I hope that it doesn't go bad in a few months. Hopefully they stay on schedule with expansions and stuff.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

I've started a thread with an alarmist topic, then stated the exact opposite applies to my personal experience of it, and then started predicting the future.

Pure grandstanding for attention, that's all this thread us.

I've played games that were "pure hype."  Suffice to say, fun is an impossibility in such a game.

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48

I admit that I'm luving the game too. I'm having a ton of fun. But it happens over and over and over again. I saw it with Age of Conan, Warhammer, Aion, SW:TOR, The Secret World. People say oh I've bene playing MMOs since Ultima Online and this is the best MMORPG of all time. This thing trumps everything else.

They said it with SW:TOR and all the other let downs. Just crap. Then 6 months later they're complaining on the forums about how terrible the game is and that it should fail and that the new big baddest thing will trump it. GW2 for instance.

But yeah, I'm in that same boat. I honestly thing that GW2 will be sucessful for the years to come. And hopefully that hype/honeymoon stage will never ever go.

You seem to be an avid mmorpg player and have played many games. Are you sure you're not burnt out? I didn't play any mmo games for a few months before jumping into GW2. MMOs are fun but they can be draining at times. As far as the game being around in next six months that depends on operating costs versus profit. IMHO most of the games are mismanaged then the players suffer.

I still take the attitude that I'm playing at my own risk. I wont cry to anyone about "fail games" and such.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

the difference with guild wars 2/ guild wars 1 and all those other mmorpgs is that it doesnt leave a bitter taste in your mouth when you leave. when you leave the game you dont feel like you were scammed or tricked into paying an extra months subscription with empty promises and garbage patches. its also easy to come back and enjoy yourself right away knowing that you wont have to grind through 3 new tiers of gear in order to begin to have fun in pvp. when you leave the game you do it on your own terms and because of this you will likely come back when the next expansion comes around. and if you do decide to come back your character will be there intact and waiting for you, free to play with no strings attatched.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

If you like the game, then by definition, its not hype. Your are confusing.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Its a pretty awesome game.

I'm sorry that bothers eome people.  Thats a very odd thing to have bother you.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Umm,....so what is the purpose of this post exactly?

Maybe it is an excercise in pure postivity and the desire to share the fact that he loves the game?

It dosen't always have to be more then that.

I guess some people don't see a point in a thread unless it is negatively criticising.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by dreemlife
    So again, what was the purpose of this post already? To prove other people's wrong or to start a troll adventure?

Nice first post btw :/

It's a shame you didn't start with something a little more constructive, positive, or meaningful. Anyhow, welcome to the forums.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    This thread makes no sense.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Even by mmorpg.com standards, this thread is weird.  
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

Everyone has different expectations, opinions on what the "best" mmo is to them. It doesn't mean they are wrong just because you don't agree with it. This is the reason why people need to form there own opinions and stop believing everyone else.

Form your own opinion and don't let hype drive you to buy a game. Study it, look for information and form a conclusion before going out and buying the game and you might not lose out as much.

Be a leader not a follower. Use your own brain to figure it out...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

EDIT

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Life is exciting then you get old, after a few years you cant run walk or do fun things anymore then you die. true story.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

What a confusing post...

And the title doesn't match the actual OP at all.  I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of the whole thing.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Normally, I'd ask what the deal with this thread is. With the negative title spin on a positive thread. But I've noticed that the OP has done this a few times. I think he thinks he's being creative. Posting threads that are positive towards GW2, yet have inflammatory titles. Guarantees it will get read I guess.

• SeunlauSeunlau Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by dreemlife

To catch salty fish, just like you, and make my day.

Sounds good to me.

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

FACT:

I played WoW for 15 minutes before regretting my decision to pay $50 for it and then $15 for a monthy sub

I played SWTOR for about the same amount of time before quitting because of how boring it was

I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for 58 hours. 

x.x

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I don't appreciate all these claims that GW2 will be just like SWTOR, or AoC or the others, not every major hyped up mmo release has to end the same way, it is actually possible for an mmo to be good, and it’s a bad comparison when we can see there are a lot of differences this time. Such doomsayers never provide any good evidence anyway, apparently "SWTOR = fail = GW2 = fail" is all the argument they need. I say sit back and see how it develops and stop trying to play Nostradamus.

Those that enjoy the game, don’t worry about people that dismiss the game due to hype, true, it would have lots if nothing but a  shallow lie, but also if it was truly great, it tells us nothing in itself. If it’s good to you it’s good to you, and if others don’t like it, question their sanity and move on. Besides there were plenty of us not fooled by swtor and the others, and we say this is the real deal, it tends to be those burnt by previous failures that are afraid and lash out at this game. It doesn’t deserve to denigrated just because it came out after a looooooong string of failures, there is no pattern it is doomed to fall into here.