Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: One Million Sold, 400k Concurrent Users During Head Start

Comments

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    congrats! with no real commercial advertising i'd say that's a pretty impressive feat

I've seen adverts on every single website I visit and I've seen trailers before videos on youtube and my friend said he saw a trailer on the TV.

So, what?

[mod edit]

I doubt his friend is lying tbh.

I personally saw a full trailer for GW2 in the cinema watching a movie (Dark Knight Rises), so its highly likely there were TV trailers too (i literally never watch TV so i cant say for certain)

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Congratulations to the developers!  I hope everyone enjoys playing!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Awesome!

Great job ANet, seeing your efforts paying off must be immensely satisfying. Congrats!

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by GamerToons
    I think you guys are misreading. There was over 1,000,000,000 prepurchasers.

There was over 400k playing the game AT ONCE.

That's huge especially for a new game.

Good job ArenaNet!
    1 billion? You don't even know how many zeroes are in a million...
  • dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Great game..I am having a blast. Congrats ArenaNet on a job well done..
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    I await for the day ANet announced the ACTUAL "Day 1", "First week", and "Total" sales. Should be interesting to see what we are talking about then.
  • clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213
    fail
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

The game is good. And when I say it's good I mean it's friggin addictive and I hate being at work and not being able to play!

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

Excellent start and one million pre-purchases by the sounds of it before theres a single box sold . This game is going to be a monster . I'm playing WoW at the moment because I'm away from home and my lappy isn't good enough to play GW2 . I'm in a moderatly sized guild and nearly all of them are off playing GW2 even my lady friend and shes one of the most fanatical WoW players I know . Shes only been on once since GW2 headstart to tell me how amazing gw2 is ask me when I can join her there . This is someone that has played WoW most evenings and weekends for several hours since its release without a single break in over 7 years and has never enjoyed any other mmo .

I would think theres every possibility that GW2 could take over as the dominant mmo . Also lets hope its success will make developers think about a buy to play model for the likes of the elder scrolls online .

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Those are impressive numbers. However, I did expect a lot more. I thought this game would outsell Diablo 3 but I guess my expectations were too high.

Still GW2 is super successful, it's just not there with the big releases like CoD and Blizzard products.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.

I think the numbers are a bit low for NCSoft to be happy. Remember since there is no sub to the game there only other method for making more money is the buy to win cash shop. 1 million is dwarfed by Diablo 3, so while GW2 is doing good sales it isn't blowing away the competition by the looks of it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I see recall reading that ncsoft was expecting 3-4 million in the first year. Can't find the source, but did read the financial report.

I think the numbers are a bit low for NCSoft to be happy. Remember since there is no sub to the game there only other method for making more money is the buy to win cash shop. 1 million is dwarfed by Diablo 3, so while GW2 is doing good sales it isn't blowing away the competition by the looks of it.

What's the purpose of this, especially now that we have the facts?

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You must not have played GW1. It is likely that GW2 will have a similar content delivery modle. Every 6-9 months a b2p content expansion will be released, that will expand the game greatly, and drive profit since the initial system is what represents the cost of most MMOs.  And since ANET owns their servers, and was making money off of GW1 while developing GW2 without sinking much money into it (sparse content patches), the inital pre-sales probably have already netted a profit. Remember AoC initial sales = 2mil in profit, and they completely re-wrote the engine.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Not suprised considering all the hype around this game.. it was insane even more so that SWTOR..

I actually expected a lot more but as others have said this does not include pre-orders.. Pretty sure in a few months time those concurrent uers will drop right down.. but thats also to be expected.

Originally posted by xpiher

You must not have played GW1. It is likely that GW2 will have a similar content delivery modle. Every 6-9 months a b2p content expansion will be released, that will expand the game greatly, and drive profit since the initial system is what represents the cost of most MMOs.  And since ANET owns their servers, and was making money off of GW1 while developing GW2 without sinking much money into it (sparse content patches), the inital pre-sales probably have already netted a profit. Remember AoC initial sales = 2mil in profit, and they completely re-wrote the engine.

This is where the GW2 fanboi fantasies start to emerge in fact ArenaNet stated in public interviews that they didn't want to do standalone expansions for GW2. They have not announced any plans for them.

Likely for the next months ArenaNet will focus on bugs and gameplay/server issues. Their two main means of generating money box sales of GW2 and cash shop.

If ArenaNet had smashed sales records with 10 million you could fairly right that this is the greatest mmo game to ever hit, as it is though it looks likely to be smaller game than that with maybe a few hundred K of poeple logging in every night in a few months of time after all the hype dies down.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209
    Glad for them, never played gw1 and not intending to get gw2, i am happy back in ol'eq myself.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

This is where the GW2 fanboi fantasies start to emerge in fact ArenaNet stated in public interviews that they didn't want to do standalone expansions for GW2. They have not announced any plans for them.

Likely for the next months ArenaNet will focus on bugs and gameplay/server issues. Their two main means of generating money box sales of GW2 and cash shop.

If ArenaNet had smashed sales records with 10 million you could fairly right that this is the greatest mmo game to ever hit, as it is though it looks likely to be smaller game than that with maybe a few hundred K of poeple logging in every night in a few months of time after all the hype dies down.

What they actually said was that they do not plan to make any STANDALONE expansion (i.e., expansions that can be played without the base game).  They have certainly not ruled out traditional expansions which require the base game to play (like EQ, EQ2, WoW, etc.).  See:  http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/guild-wars-2-to-avoid-retail-mmo-expansion-model/

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Knightblast

What they actually said was that they do not plan to make any STANDALONE expansion (i.e., expansions that can be played without the base game).  They have certainly not ruled out traditional expansions which require the base game to play (like EQ, EQ2, WoW, etc.).  See:  http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/guild-wars-2-to-avoid-retail-mmo-expansion-model/

This. There's no way GW2 will not get any xpacs. That will be one of the main sources of income. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

10 million copies at launch, really? Even Wow had nowhere near that, even with their expansions though supposedly had over 10 million subscribers. You realize though that GW1 had around 7 million sold over the years, and it was overlooked by tons of people for not being a full MMO and being completely instanced. Being a full MMO with some nice changes and the success it is already seeing, it will easily sell 10 million over time as long as they keep a good handle on fixing problems and delivering some new content.

Originally posted by fivoroth

This. There's no way GW2 will not get any xpacs. That will be one of the main sources of income. 

They haven't, though, announced any to date or even that they might want to make any. What seems more likely is DLC-type content through the cash shop, I think.  That is much less risk orientated and profit effective, which is likely the direction NCsoft wants...i.e. the strong cash shop driving profits beyond GW2 inital purchase. After all, you could pick up a DLC dungeon and some in-game enhancements at the same time by this model.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

They haven't, though, announced any to date or even that they might want to make any. What seems more likely is DLC-type content through the cash shop, I think.  That is much less risk orientated and profit effective, which is likely the direction NCsoft wants...i.e. the strong cash shop driving profits beyond GW2 inital purchase. After all, you could pick up a DLC dungeon and some in-game enhancements at the same time by this model.

The game officially launched 1 day ago.... why would they be announcing new expansions already? Knowing Anet theyve got some general ideas planned, but are waiting to see more feedback regarding current content to really solidify what theyll do for the next release. They have a tendency to listen to player reactions and feedback much more closely than most companies out there.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

The game officially launched 1 day ago.... why would they be announcing new expansions already? Knowing Anet theyve got some general ideas planned, but are waiting to see more feedback regarding current content to really solidify what theyll do for the next release. They have a tendency to listen to player reactions and feedback much more closely than most companies out there.

This is where the fanobois let their fantasies run riot. ArenaNet were doing interviews pre-launch where they stated they didn't want to do stand alone expansions. 

Day 1 is actually also when GW2 sales will peak. The hype and headstart prompts folks to reach out for their credit cards and make that purchase. After launch the hype deminishes and so does the sales. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Consider this being skeptical rather than outright negative, but didn't EA and TOR boast similar numbers during the beginning of their release? I think it's a good thing that MMO's still sell, I just wish data like this could be used to credibly determine longevity.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Apparently now you're a deluded fanboi if you suggest a popular MMO will have expansions.  When hasn't this happened?  They made a huge profit from GW1's expacs, I guess they'll just forgoe that because one forum troll says so.