Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contest your Ban, BUT................

sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

"We want to clear up some of the confusion about GW2 name and behavior suspensions. To keep Guild Wars 2 a pleasant place to be, we take action against racist names, hate speech, and other unacceptable behavior. We have suspended some accounts involved in the use of offensive character names or inappropriate chat. The number of account blocks is miniscule: less than .001% of our total player base.

When an account is blocked for a chat offense, the account is given a three-day suspension. When an account is blocked for an offensive name, the player is required to rename the character name and, in most cases, the account is also given a three-day suspension.

We have reviewed all the name suspensions currently in place. Where we could give some leeway, we removed the account suspension, which will allow those players to rename the character and rejoin the game. However, for substantially offensive names, we will keep the full three-day suspensions in effect.

In a few posts on Reddit and on fan forums, players have claimed they were suspended for using a harmless-sounding character name, when in fact they were suspended for a different and truly offensive character name on their account. Others claimed that they were not told why they were suspended, but the game does give a message that states the reason for the suspension. In every case we have double-checked, the action taken on the account was appropriate.

However, we'd like to clear up any misconceptions. If you think you were unfairly suspended, or if you'd like to know the specific chat or character name that got you suspended, post your character name and we’ll reply in graphic detail with the reason for the block. Warning: NSFW ahead!

You can read our name policy here. You can get a lot of good info about GW2 support policies in this doc."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Thats actually pretty awesome how hes taking the time to speak to each person about their ban in detail be it talking like a 10 year old trash mouth, or hacked by gold sellers.

Another +1 for ANet

I love how they're not going to be putting up with any d-baggery!

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    They are going to actaully post the chat logs on reddit for everyone to see. 

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    good for them.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    I've seen "I Creampie" and "MO DA FU KA" .. so yea.. ban em all
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by sammyeli

It's almost like a Q&A... someone asks why they were banned and he posting either the offensive name, chat log and whatever other reason, like there are a few that were taken by gold sellers.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Deathenger

Thats actually pretty awesome how hes taking the time to speak to each person about their ban in detail be it talking like a 10 year old trash mouth, or hacked by gold sellers.

Another +1 for ANet

I love how they're not going to be putting up with any d-baggery!

What makes it different is it's B2P with no sub, so once they've got your money from the box sales they don't actually need you to play. It only hurts the game experience for normal folks to put up with d-baggery. That's the weakness of sub-based games, they really REALLY don't want to lose a sub.  But ANet can say "Thanks for the money on the box sale, D-Bag, now hit the bricks!"  Which is pretty sweet.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Only immature players make dumb names and as far as I am concerned deserved to be banned.

Bravo Arena...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

seen on reddit thread

Name: OK Chat -- Not OK: "GET THE FUCKING CAVERN SCUTTER ENERGIES YOU FUCKASSES."

Name: OK Chat -- Not Ok: "This isn't Africa, you don't adopt black kids."

Name: OK Chat: Not ok -- Neurologic: "the worm IS fucking hard if you're a fucking mentalpatient no we fucking dont you can take a keep with 5 people if you're not a fucking dickhead"

Name: OK Chat: Not ok -- "leave faggots the griffin is mine fa ggots"
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    This really will hit the 12 year olds very badly.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Yeah I don't know what to say other than it's fantastic they would do this.  I'm not sure there will be many takers though...

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

happens in every game.

Let's internet

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Aelious

Yeah I don't know what to say other than it's fantastic they would do this.  I'm not sure there will be many takers though...

FoulMouthedFrog:

Mind checking Invalidation?

I too was suspended for inappropriate behavior.

--ArenaNetSupportTeam[S] <span unvoted"="">524 points

ago

Name: OK Chat -- Not OK: "GET THE FUCKING CAVERN SCUTTER ENERGIES YOU FUCKASSES."

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    OMG, this reddit thread is the funniest thing I have read in weeks!
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Best thread EVER!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

People really need to figure out proper password management. The amount of "you were hacked, contact us" responses is just dumb. 

Edit: And computer security. FFS people, if your GW2 account is being hacked your bank information is compromised as well.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    OMG THIS THREAD IS FULL OF WIN

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CrashrollCrashroll Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Aw darn...now I went and bought the game. My number one reason to stay away was the community this payment model would attract. But ANet seems to have that under control. Thanks for posting this...

Not tonight dear...I have a haddock!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Crashroll
    Aw darn...now I went and bought the game. My number one reason to stay away was the community this payment model would attract. But ANet seems to have that under control. Thanks for posting this...

LOL right like this doesn't happen in EVERY SUB ONLY GAME IN HISTORY. dbags are out there they are in every game, the difference between GW2 and the other companies? The other companies only ban accounts for a few days a week at best for this behavior or they force you to change your name and review it. Anet says, BYE BYE we don't need you here  to those people and they don't look back because they aren't worried about sub numbers. And THEN they debunk your sob story by posting what you said for everyone to look at.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Some of the posts on that thread are pure win!

Carl Sagan-

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Thank the stars they don't collect subs. Gives them more room to ban idiots who like to push boundaries. Now I wonder if they review cash shop purchases before they lower the ban hammer? Big spender? Ok maybe we'll give you 1 day instead of 3.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Good I am glad they posted that.  I know that when I see somebody posting the famous I got banned type of thread you know they are full of it.

When I see these type of posts if somebody not beet me to it and usually they have; I will report that type of post.  The person knows full well why they got banned and has the nerve to come over here for a pity party and trying to start flame wars.

Quite personally I think it should be a bannable offence to come on this site and post those I got banned threads.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Hmmm, how do they define "hate speech"?  I hope it's not like the real world where anything that isn't PC is classed as hate speech and where the idea of context in speech has been completely removed...

Good for them though, they seem to really want to keep the community in order, even if it is kinda strict.

• McJaggerMcJagger Member Posts: 17
    for arenanet.  Keep it up guys!  I'm loving every minute in the game, and appreciate you clearing out the lame buggers that have plagued every other MMO recently.  This is actually the best feature of the game so far, and that's saying a lot : )
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I'm very impressed that they would do this.  ArenaNet is the company Blizzard should have become after they released D2.  Blizzard doesn't care at all about real customer service.
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

It's impressive.

Not only because they ban players but they also calls out liers.

I quote this from that reddit.

"This is precisely what we've been saying. Now that this thread is up, you'll see a lot of people will never come forward to have their characters checked. Because they're either lying, or they know perfectly well what inappropriate language they used."

So just direct anyone claiming they are unfairly banned there...

And, also, this time it is about banned accounts, but please go ahead and call out other lies aswell... Like for instance, ehm, credit card frauds... for other companys...

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"