Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Guild Wars 2

I'm sure I will get hit hard for this but this is my honest opinion so far.  I like many others have waited a long time for this game and at 9:00pm last night was on the computer ready to see they came up early with it.

First off the launch.  A little laggy but I feel the best launch of a huge MMO is my history or at least that I have been apart of.  The lag got taken care of very quickly, overflow areas instead of server wait queues have been awesome overall 9/10 on launch.

Gameplay is where it starts to go downhill for me.  I know people will say if you like the same old crap then go play Wow.  I don't have a problem with the gameplay or the dynamic events or the pvp other then I feel they are slow and pretty boring.  Sure dynamic events are cool you have 20 or 30 or 40 people hacking away at the same huge mob but really it's just chaos.  I have never once had any social interaction with a Dynamic Event group it is just tons of random people doing their own thing.  That does not count as a strong community for me.  Movement speed and combat seems to be kind of slow and boring, I have 6 classes I have tried(bought a extra char slot) and so far every one is pretty much turn on auto attack and hit whatever is not on cooldown.  WvWvW pvp seems to have much of the same social problems that Dynamic events do.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the game and will continue to play it on a part time level since there is no sub fee for it but unless you are young or a this is your first MMO(which this would be a great game if you never have played a MMO before) I just don't see how this could be a everyday game.

Yes I know this is day 1 and I have not gotten to a lot of continent and I'm not going to give up on it, it could get better but right now its maybe 7/10.

Comments

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    if you want 10/10 go TSW - but u gotta complete the first dungeon in TSW to really see "how" it shines, it doesnt shine in your face like a wow clone you see ... :) GW2 is "ok" so far for me, very much rinse repeat of stuff done maaany times before - does not at all have that novel feature of TSW. At this point I'd rate GW2 up to a 7/10 due to the large amount of content in it and value for money.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

I'm sure I will get hit hard for this but this is my honest opinion so far.  I like many others have waited a long time for this game and at 9:00pm last night was on the computer ready to see they came up early with it.

First off the launch.  A little laggy but I feel the best launch of a huge MMO is my history or at least that I have been apart of.  The lag got taken care of very quickly, overflow areas instead of server wait queues have been awesome overall 9/10 on launch.

Gameplay is where it starts to go downhill for me.  I know people will say if you like the same old crap then go play Wow.  I don't have a problem with the gameplay or the dynamic events or the pvp other then I feel they are slow and pretty boring.  Sure dynamic events are cool you have 20 or 30 or 40 people hacking away at the same huge mob but really it's just chaos.  I have never once had any social interaction with a Dynamic Event group it is just tons of random people doing their own thing.  That does not count as a strong community for me.  Movement speed and combat seems to be kind of slow and boring, I have 6 classes I have tried(bought a extra char slot) and so far every one is pretty much turn on auto attack and hit whatever is not on cooldown.  WvWvW pvp seems to have much of the same social problems that Dynamic events do.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the game and will continue to play it on a part time level since there is no sub fee for it but unless you are young or a this is your first MMO(which this would be a great game if you never have played a MMO before) I just don't see how this could be a everyday game.

Yes I know this is day 1 and I have not gotten to a lot of continent and I'm not going to give up on it, it could get better but right now its maybe 7/10.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

I wish people would quit posting opinion pieces it does no good and serves no purpose.  If you dont like it then do so on its merits but to blindly say stuff which is so opinionated is not wise.

I disagree with everything you said.  I would take a living breathing world over the infighting that happens in all WoW clones any day and twice on sunday. If you think theres no community then either quit or trying talking to people, ive made 7 friends so far on our permanant server.  In fact 3 of us who dont know each other from a hole in the ground are taking a dinner break as we speak and will pick back up at 9, running DE's together. 

IMO GW2 is the best community fostering MMO to come out since the first generation of MMO's.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Mouth
    if you want 10/10 go TSW - but u gotta complete the first dungeon in TSW to really see "how" it shines, it doesnt shine in your face like a wow clone you see ... :) GW2 is "ok" so far for me, very much rinse repeat of stuff done maaany times before - does not at all have that novel feature of TSW. At this point I'd rate GW2 up to a 7/10 due to the large amount of content in it and value for money.

TSW a 10/10? Is this some joke? That game had more flaws than the titanic.

Anyway, the game just launched so there are some minor problems with the server (lag,disconnects, etc.) but the gameplay so far has been the best I've seen in a mmo since...well.. ever. 

Sometimes the events can be chaotic but most of the times they require teamwork and group play, something that other mmo's lack completely.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Hey man it's cool. Not every game is for every person, and can't knock ya for your opinion of the game, even if I dont share it.

Hopefully the tide turns for you as you press on, but if not then at least you tried.

Have fun, if not here then wherever you game :)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Anyway, the game just launched so there are some minor problems with the server (lag,disconnects, etc.) but the gameplay so far has been the best I've seen in a mmo since...well.. ever. 

Sometimes the events can be chaotic but most of the times they require teamwork and group play, something that other mmo's lack completely.

I had a nice chuckle at that myself.  :)

But opinions are just that.  There are people who still play FFXIV and enjoy it immensely.  In fact, I still have an active account that I enjoy logging into to stockpile more gil for when 2.0 is out.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I'm having fun with the spvp. The trait and ability system is ok, better than WoW, swtor, and maybe rift.  It's not a bad game by any stretch. 

I do have a real problem with the pvp and pve being COMPLETELY separate. We are not just talking about ability function there is no connection at all. I'm a pvpr now who likes pve from time to time. I used to do both on a equal level, one supported the other.  Here in GW2 I'm having a tough time feeling motivated to do any pve since it does nothing at all for my pvp. 

I'm not about to rate the game, but this fundamental design choice really sticks out as the thing I have the most trouble with.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

But opinions are just that.  There are people who still play FFXIV and enjoy it immensely.  In fact, I still have an active account that I enjoy logging into to stockpile more gil for when 2.0 is out.

I'm a gamer first before a fan of anything. I know good games when I play them.

At this moment I feel TSW is the better mmorpg, but not by much. GW2's core systems are more polished and the PvP is much more robust, but the lack of a cohesive game world really sticks out to me.

Regardless TSW and GW2 are the best games to come out in years imo. If you love mmos these a great times. You  honestly can't go wrong with either game. They are different enough in what they offer to enjoy both without a feeling of redundancy.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

You're not the only one man.  It's not the greatest mmo ever released (not by a long shot) but it's not terrible either. For $60 it's a good game to add to your library and play when you're bored, but def not an everyday MMO. 

Still, I applaud the risks they took and the innovation they brought to the genre. It's a good thing for gamers and developers alike.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by bcbully

At this moment I feel TSW is the better mmorpg, but not by much. GW2's core systems are more polished and the PvP is much more robust, but the lack of a cohesive game world really sticks out to me.

Regardless TSW and GW2 are the best games to come out in years imo. If you love mmos these a great times. You  honestly can't go wrong with either game. They are different enough in what they offer to enjoy both without a feeling of redundancy.

Huh?

The world is seamless and continuous and quite cohesive.  I see cities, their surrounding towns, villages, farms, all in a very organic, believable array.  It's much more cohesive to me than TSW, with its disjointed areas (not a knock, per se, just how it is when you are in three very different parts of the planet).  The "feel" of GW2 is much more organic, seamless and cohesive to me than TSW.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

IMO GW2 is the best community fostering MMO to come out since the first generation of MMO's.

Now I think you're just trying too hard to defend the game.  In the brief time I played this game, I saw no community whatsoever.  There was ZERO interaction due to the forced grouping.  In fact, in the three days I played the game during a BWE, I'm not sure I saw a single person utter another word to anyone while in group.   As I predicted, the amount of social interaction was no better than in Rift's invasions.  People get force grouped, don't say a word to each other as they zerg the mobs in the event, and then head off to do their own thing once the event is over.  

I'm not saying you personally didn't make friends, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the majority of people in this game are experiencing what the OP and I experienced rather than what you claimed to have experienced.  

It's not a social game from what I experienced.  The DE's actual take away from the social aspect because they allow people to do the group content without actually having to work at it.  

The OP's experience is exactly what I experienced when I played it.  

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    I doesn't matter if it's not an everyday game. There's no sub so it doesn't matter if you don't have teh energy to play every single day
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Sure dynamic events are cool you have 20 or 30 or 40 people hacking away at the same huge mob but really it's just chaos.

Get past the first zone.

This is due to the fact that everyone's in one area.

Once people spread out it'll die down.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I'm enjoying pve in this game. I like the fact that no one can steal my gathering nodes, no one can steal my mobs and I really like being able to revive someone when they've been defeated. You can run around and solo the game but at the same time play with everyone around you. As for discussion, the map channel was constantly buzzing no matter where I was.

Fun game. I really like playing it. It may not be revolutionary but I haven't had this much fun playing an online game in a long time. I know it won't be everyone's favorite game and that's fine. That's why there are so many games out there to choose from.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I agree with OP. This game is just a zergfest. No strat needed for DE's.  I have no idea what all the hype was about. I swear if this game wasn't b2p people wouldn't love it so much. Now just to be fair this game is not bad, I just don't get the overwhelming hype. I will keep playing very casually and look forward to get to some dungeons, that will make or break the game for me.

TSW was a much better experiance for me, I was blown away by how much fun that game was. I have had no such feeling at all with GW2. So I will keep playing TSW as my main game and just dabble in GW2 which is cool too

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Its interesting because I ended up going to a low pop server and my interactions in DEs with others have been great. I expect everyone will see this when the high pop servers settle down.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

Interesting, one of my gripes with TSW was its game world. Things looked great but they never came together well at all. It always felt like a corridor and not like exploration which is all I do in GW2. Compare Divinity's Reach with London for example, they are worlds apart.

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

not really impressed, one big chaotic zerg fest.......back to wow *shrug*

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Of course the early DEs are zerg rushes.  

The more notable ones like the Shatterer are the ones that give that epic feel.  You can either man the turrets, run around keeping everyone up, holding off the minion waves etc...

And then when you get to dungeons, you try and use a zerg strategy and you'll be there all night.

It's only been less than a day since launch, give it time to have the mass rush settle down.

And I finally joined my guild.  A couple are already almost pushing 30.  A couple 15s and I'm at 6 (damn my altoholism).  I've had a couple swing by the Asura starter area and run around with me.  Was fun.  And while the main chat would have some juvenile comments, you could tell people were having a good time.

• VondrexVondrex Member UncommonPosts: 15

I wish people would quit posting opinion pieces it does no good and serves no purpose.  If you dont like it then do so on its merits but to blindly say stuff which is so opinionated is not wise.

I disagree with everything you said.  I would take a living breathing world over the infighting that happens in all WoW clones any day and twice on sunday. If you think theres no community then either quit or trying talking to people, ive made 7 friends so far on our permanant server.  In fact 3 of us who dont know each other from a hole in the ground are taking a dinner break as we speak and will pick back up at 9, running DE's together. 

Why are you being such a db, the guy was just giving is thoughts on it. I tend for one to agree with everything he said. It is a fun game, but I understand the f2p of it now.

I for one can say I wouldnt pay for a sub for this but will continue to log on it and play it when I am bored with one of the other 15 games I am playing. I give it a 6.5/10, sorry I think we " the mmo coummunity " hyped this one up wayy to much.

It's amazing how people think they have the game all under their wing less than 24hours into the game.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by rykim86

The more notable ones like the Shatterer are the ones that give that epic feel.  You can either man the turrets, run around keeping everyone up, holding off the minion waves etc...

And then when you get to dungeons, you try and use a zerg strategy and you'll be there all night.

It's only been less than a day since launch, give it time to have the mass rush settle down.

I agree with your thoughts. One of the main problems I have is that you don't play this game in groups it is just a bunch of solo players running around. So it just feels like you are playing with NPC's. It is the same as doing Rifts, in Rift. That is why I stopped playing.  It just feels like a single player game because there is no inetaction with other players and there doesn't ever need to be. I like playing groups and chatting, this will never happen in GW2 other than dungeons.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Vondrex

Why are you being such a db, the guy was just giving is thoughts on it. I tend for one to agree with everything he said. It is a fun game, but I understand the f2p of it now.

I for one can say I wouldnt pay for a sub for this but will continue to log on it and play it when I am bored with one of the other 15 games I am playing. I give it a 6.5/10, sorry I think we " the mmo coummunity " hyped this one up wayy to much.

Well said

• wetterfreewetterfree Member UncommonPosts: 22

I have to point out that obviously you cant hit what is on cooldown.image

Did you ever try to have a social interaction? Did you include yourself when you stated that it is "just tons of random people doing their own thing"?

Originally posted by vtravi
    Originally posted by rykim86

I agree with your thoughts. One of the main problems I have is that you don't play this game in groups it is just a bunch of solo players running around. So it just feels like you are playing with NPC's. It is the same as doing Rifts, in Rift. That is why I stopped playing.  It just feels like a single player game because there is no inetaction with other players and there doesn't ever need to be. I like playing groups and chatting, this will never happen in GW2 other than dungeons.

I wouldn't say that so quickly.

Once the population spreads, and people progress onto other content after having cleared the starting areas, it'll get to that group feeling.

The times I played at the PAX conventions was a great one.  You'd start solo but then would meet up with other players and even ArenaNet employees.  It was the level 40 area with the undead boat.  Met up with another group of 4-5 people and hammered away at it.  When it was all said and done, had a small chat and started goofing off with the emotes.

Just sayiing, like WoW, we have to give it time to see where it's headed.  Comparing the first ten levels of WoW to its end game, is like night and day.  When I first started WoW I was like...wtf is this?  It's not like FFXI!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by vtravi

Honestly, I would argue this is the case for any MMO on launch day. You have a shitton of people gathered in one area (size disregarded), so obviously everything seems rather zergy and antisocial. Heck, this was the case for me on Cataclysm's launch day in Vashj'r; everyones doing the questing, so theres a lot of zerginess going around. Once the leveling rush cooled off, those places became less zergish...although they simultaneously became kinda barren later on since there isn't much reason to return to them other than killing a whale shark or finding that seahorse mount.