Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Launch Failure

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Karbonoid
    It's not a failure, for them it's a complete success, they already got paid. What're you going to do, cancel your subscription?

image that made me lol'd.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89

Please! nobody take my name.

I can't say what it is, but please don't take it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ah well lucky i could play for 8 hours straight, in the pub it would have costed me at least triple that money + a hangover :)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by TomBaker_fan Tsw had issues, they allllllll do.
    To be fair I know it will clear up, but TSW did not have issues like this.

TSW had 5 players loging in at the same time :P

As I was one of those 5 I at least got to play the game that I had paid for. 

• KarbonoidKarbonoid Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Jjix

Originally posted by Amjoco
    What it comes down to imho is money. Why setup more servers to facilitate the huge launch masses then have to shut them down a week later. I haven't a clue how much a server costs to setup and operate, but its got to be steep. It's only sensible to look in the near future at what they view as affordable and can handle players at a certain point down the road. Here is an article and if you scroll down to "The Truth Behind The Curtains", it kind of describes what I'm suggesting. 

Exactly. And , of course, it isn't just the cost, closing down servers and focing players to transfer is extremely hard on players who have to leave their server community and character names behind. A more difficult launch is better for the game and the players in the long run. Players will forget this launch, but they won't forget dwindling populations and forced server transfers, Arenanet is making the smart choice all around.

It's not the actual game servers that are at fault, they cheaped out on the login servers.

Even the really bad launches other games have had with hours upon hours of queing are much preferable to not even getting anywhere close to an actual queue.

This is not the equivalent of queuing for a concert tickets or the like, that would be the WoW launch. This is the equivalent of throwing a few tickets to the reunion of the Beatles in an open field and have a million fans stampede towards them all at once. (And the truly hilarious twist is that the tickets are actually for an amateur cover band rather than the real thing, but that's beside the point for now.)

Sure, people will forget it, soon enough they may try their best to forget they ever spent money on the game at all, and proudly announce that they never fell for the hype.
  • JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Twisted77

Please! nobody take my name.

I can't say what it is, but please don't take it.

If it was taken before the servers went down, there is nothing you could have done even if the servers had never gone down.

If it wasn't taken before the servers went down, since no one can login you don't have to worry about anyone taking it.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I have no problem amditting i fell for the hype. If it doesnt turn out the way i like i can always go play dota2
  • OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    I have no problem amditting i fell for the hype. If it doesnt turn out the way i like i can always go play dota2

Playing some D3 and Dota 2 too while waiting :p

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Mothanos   Originally posted by bcbully Originally posted by TomBaker_fan Tsw had issues, they allllllll do.

Hmm its the end of the world !!! all commit suicide we cant play a game Ohhh the workd is falling apart.
    Looking a movie atm, iam sure this shit is resolved in a few hours.
    Then its back to playing the worlds best mmo ever created, no pun, massive amount of fun GW2, compared to WoW or any other shit mmo this one gets a 9.9 - -0.1 for login issues.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Can't say people weren't warned and yes, WE told you so. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Karbonoid
    Originally posted by Jjix
    Originally posted by Amjoco

What it comes down to imho is money. Why setup more servers to facilitate the huge launch masses then have to shut them down a week later. I haven't a clue how much a server costs to setup and operate, but its got to be steep. It's only sensible to look in the near future at what they view as affordable and can handle players at a certain point down the road.

Here is an article and if you scroll down to "The Truth Behind The Curtains", it kind of describes what I'm suggesting. 

Exactly. And , of course, it isn't just the cost, closing down servers and focing players to transfer is extremely hard on players who have to leave their server community and character names behind. A more difficult launch is better for the game and the players in the long run. Players will forget this launch, but they won't forget dwindling populations and forced server transfers, Arenanet is making the smart choice all around.

It's not the actual game servers that are at fault, they cheaped out on the login servers. Even the really bad launches other games have had with hours upon hours of queing are much preferable to not even getting anywhere close to an actual queue. This is not the equivalent of queuing for a concert tickets or the like, that would be the WoW launch. This is the equivalent of throwing a few tickets to the reunion of the Beatles in an open field and have a million fans stampede towards them all at once. (And the truly hilarious twist is that the tickets are actually for an amateur cover band rather than the real thing, but that's beside the point for now.) Sure, people will forget it, soon enough they may try their best to forget they ever spent money on the game at all, and proudly announce that they never fell for the hype.

Wait . . . so you are saying that not being able to play is "much preferable to" . . . not being able to play? What difference does it make if it is a 10 hour queue or you can't get past the login server? Either way you can't play.

But it seems like you've already made up your mind about the game (which is strange if you haven't been able to play it) and don't really want to play anyway . . . so why let yourself be so frustrated? Take a deep breath . . . breath, that's the key.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    The downside to popularity lol. I must admit, the head start is pretty bad right now lol. Was good when I played last night, thing ran flawlessly for me now not even getting past the launcher. It happens lol, hopefully it gets sorted soon. 
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

As to the:

'This is a Headstart'

Argument, I can't see how it applies. Headstart was given to everyone who pre-ordered, this is for all intents and purposes a full release, given that 90% of their playerbase is now in the game.

It's not like they didn't have the pre-order numbers.

Hi

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by TomBaker_fan Tsw had issues, they allllllll do.

That was because Bio spent 99% of their budget on the login server and building 500 racks of world servers, most of them are already closed again.

they shouldve used it for content though. :)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Mouth

I simply cannot log in - my request doesnt even reach authentication. I heard from my friend who was able to log in really early this morning that the game is laggy as hell.

Not going to score the game on this, but so far ... extremely bad of course. Going back to The Secret World (which had a 10/10 launch) for a while, but itching to try GW2 ( though I don't think I will like the cartoony "little mouse characters" things, but we'll see). I loved gw1 to bits, but have a bad feeling about gw2 - especially now after tsw launch.

wel one thing for sure, there won't be any overcrowding in secret world. Good luck to you

I miss DAoC

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I simply cannot log in - my request doesnt even reach authentication. I heard from my friend who was able to log in really early this morning that the game is laggy as hell.

Not going to score the game on this, but so far ... extremely bad of course. Going back to The Secret World (which had a 10/10 launch) for a while, but itching to try GW2 ( though I don't think I will like the cartoony "little mouse characters" things, but we'll see). I loved gw1 to bits, but have a bad feeling about gw2 - especially now after tsw launch.

wel one thing for sure, there won't be any overcrowding in secret world. Goof luck to you

More crowded than GW2 currently is. ;)

Now shall we quit the poking at other games?

• SynjynSynjyn Member Posts: 25

EU is stuffed, a lot of people have not been able to get in game at all. Not even a peep.

Pretty bloody poor, really these days you should be able to release a game in a playable state (yes its headstart but it should still be playable).

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Totally oversubscribed login servers, really.  Doesn't bode well if it's a login server hardware issue (which seems more likely than anything given that there were not problems like this in the BWEs and STs), in terms of time to fix to a usable state.  Yes, they had the pre-order numbers, but it's also likely that a lot of people jumped on the pre-order bandwagon in the last 5 days or so, which would have been too late to make much of a difference in terms of what hardware infrastructure would be available for the launch.  So, yes, it's a different issue than WoW had at its launch, but likely a similar reason -- very, very oversubscribed.
    Originally posted by Jayaris

As to the:

'This is a Headstart'

Argument, I can't see how it applies. Headstart was given to everyone who pre-ordered, this is for all intents and purposes a full release, given that 90% of their playerbase is now in the game.

It's not like they didn't have the pre-order numbers.

Headstart right now only applies to pre-purchasers, pre-orderers still have to wait a couple more days to play.

But just assume what you are saying were true, what game WOULDN'T have issues if 90% of their playerbase were trying to play at the same time?

• Reilly64Reilly64 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Regardless whether or not its a headstart they had a good idea of how many people were likely to log in - no?

You sell x number of games with a headstart you will get x number of players logging on during the headstart.....its not difficult. I fully expected glitches at game launch - what really dissapoints me is the lack of communication. I hoped Arenanet would be different /sadface.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Jackdog

wel one thing for sure, there won't be any overcrowding in secret world. Goof luck to you

More crowded than GW2 currently is. ;)

Now shall we quit the poking at other games?

what you wana bet there is more people on in just one GW2 server than in TSW? Anyway I was just stating a fact, TSW bombed and it was not becasue of overcrowding, that is not a big secret

I miss DAoC

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    When it's ready! Remember those words we heard for years ? I guess they were wrong. Don't promise what you can't deliver.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

I think it's pretty successful .

No lag, minimum bugs, and even the full servers were pretty roomy.

Sure, the servers went down. But I don't remember any launch that didn't have downtime on launch date.

Not only they were down, but were laggy as hell, and ofc filled with stupid bugs .

Stop whining and grow up.

There are many problems that they cant predict on launch day, maybe their ISP is fucking up...

Originally posted by Reilly64

Regardless whether or not its a headstart they had a good idea of how many people were likely to log in - no?

You sell x number of games with a headstart you will get x number of players logging on during the headstart.....its not difficult. I fully expected glitches at game launch - what really dissapoints me is the lack of communication. I hoped Arenanet would be different /sadface.

They already said they know about the problem and are trying to fix it. What more do you want?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

This whole palaver reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro