Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: The Foundry Shapes the Game

2»

Comments

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261
    This will most likely be my only PC game!
  • MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by lunatis
    This will most likely be my only PC game!

And being a Craptic studio game no doubt it'll be a short lived PC game for ya.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by theAsna
    NWN looks interesting. If they implement the travesty they call 4th edition rules then they aren't going to attract some of the older folks.

It is based on the 4E ruleset, but that was pretty much made to be turned into a video game in the first place so that's no issue.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The thing most of you forget, this now owned by Perfect World.  So getting excited about this title should be tempered by that fact.  PW will design it so that you have to pay to do just about everything fun.   So yes, the foundry looks great, but I dread the fact that we will have to pay for it somehow.  Don't get me wrong, don't mind investing in a title I like, but PW is known for not just buying something , but you have to gamble for it.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I am so all over this MMO on release. I loved COH and CO is still my favorite super hero MMO to this date.

Bite Me

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 324

I agree with Ozmodan that one of my main worries is what kind of grinding / money will be needed to create adventures. I haven't tried the STO version, but I've use the Mission Architect in CoH and dabbled with Dungeon Maker in Everquest 2. Dungeon Maker is pretty limited and requires tons of grinding or money to get enemies and objects. Mission Architect in CoH requires either paying to publish missions or having paid enough to get to tier 6 where it becomes free.

I think that this kind of thing can put off people who are more interested in creating content than consuming it.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I wasn't a big fan of CoH Architect, but STO Foundry is pretty good. It doesn't influenced by PWE moneygrabbing schemes, which seems the biggest question mark here, based on few posts :)

In STO (ofc they can find a greedier mechanic for Neverwinter if they want) there's no limitation for using the Foundry content, the only limit is by the editor: subscribers can create Foundry missions by default, f2p players need to buy it in store. So if you don't plan to create stuff, only to play with user generated missions, you can do it as f2p.

Those missions are integrated in the game much more than CoH's Architect. On the regular quest panel there's a Foundry tab, and you can accept any mission from the list. There's a lot, so you can search specific ones, or filter the list according to your mood, etc,  You can hail for Foundry missions from anywhere in the galaxy, not only from the Architect building. And the missions also placed in the open world (except the ones that you play on a Holodeck of course :) )

Maybe the main difference is that Architect was planned for loot and tokens, Foundry has mostly story missions. You can make "farming" missions (like quick and easy ones for a daily quest), but I don't think you can get great xp or loot from the Foundry.

(Or if I'm wrong on this one, some creator will correct me... actually I wanted to ask before, Nagus, you're the same Nagus who made the Nagus daily sets? I know there's only one Grand Nagus at a time, but I can't follow the changes in ferengi politics :) )

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

City of Heroes has this, and it is a big time problem.  While there are some great player created content, the VAST majority of people using/creating this system only use it for farming maps.

Create a city map, put tons of mobs every 20 meters or so, and just AE.  No story, no goals, nothing but AOR farming for groups.  This is the only thing groups use this for.

And the big problem is this.  95% of the actual game content goes totally unused.  There are something like 20-30 zones in the game and they are all pretty much empty.  Players will always navigate towards whatever is easier, and if Neverwinter is a "level your character" type of themepark MMO with this system in place, it will end up like COH.

This problem can be solved in two ways.

1. Limit how close mobs can be placed next to each other. This will prevent the mindless creation of AE rooms.

2. Limit the total number of mobs per goal or story element. This will prevent the creation of 100s of mobs with no story or goals.