Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously, how do you even L2P this game?

wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Well, I didn't participate in BWEs but it's far from being my first MMO. Yet I barely understand what's happening around me. Skill descriptions barely make sense. WvWvW is a puzzle of its own - I'm not even close to understanding what's going on or what is I'm supposed to do there. (I can attack random targets ofc, but I have a feeling it's not exactly what WvWvW is about. ;)

The game seems quite sophisticated. In most MMOs you just rebind controls to your liking and look up info about good builds and worthwhile addons.

In GW2 I feel like I'm lost, completely. The learning curve just skyrocketed right from the start and I'm looking at it hopelessly from down here. Not that it'll make me quit, but it's not a very pleasant feeling.

P.S. To get the right answers I need to ask the right questions. I realize this. Well, so far I don't even know the questions.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Comments

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    It can be overwhelming to people who didn't test. You are right, it is a learning curve. Just take it real slow and don't rush or it will overwhelm you more. That's my two cents.
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

It will be hard on your just now because everything will be a bit of a zerg. If you are somewhere that is quiet then sit back and read your skills and try to use them when you need them as oppose to just spamming. Forget about spamming 1 over and over, it does it for you and lets you concentrate on the other skills.

Once you get the hang of one weapon set switch over to another and learn the basics of that also.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Run around, look for scouts, complete heart tasks that are of your level, participate in the dynamic events you encounter along the way, test your skills to find out how exactly they work, dodge when there's a big attack coming at you and try not to die.
  • MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    Game needs time and patience. 
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

Yeah, I guess it'll all become clear sooner or later. :)

But I wonder how ANet is going to keep casuals from leaving? I mean I saw people complained about D3 being too hard when in fact you could run Inferno in really cheap gear if you had some basic understanding of positioning and skill synergy. And you had 3 "tutorial" difficulties to learn that.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

These might help. It's hard to say 'Here's exactly how you play:!' because there are so many ways to approach the game. There's no wrong way. Explore, watch NPCs for cues (this is huge), events chain and instead of text walls, NPCs and enemies act out what's going on, look, get curious, investigate (lots of ways to trigger events) - this game is more journey than destination.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/xamo9/useful_links_for_guild_wars_2_to_help_everyone/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

Within these you'll find a lot of info - the hardest part is breaking bad MMO habits over the first day or two (for the first time in a long time, seeing other players is GOOD, players attacking your mobs is GOOD, reviving a downed player is GOOD(xp).

Originally posted by wowfan1996
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

Yeah, I guess it'll all become clear sooner or later. :)

But I wonder how ANet is going to keep casuals from leaving? I mean I saw people complained about D3 being too hard when in fact you could run Inferno in really cheap gear if you had some basic understanding of positioning and skill synergy. And you had 3 "tutorial" difficulties to learn that.

They won't change the difficulty, they'll increase and improve the delivery of required information as best they can as early on as possible, according to them. 

It does a lot of things different, but if it didn't they'd just be remaking WoW, so people will have to learn to play a new game if they want to really play a new game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

LP2, means read up on skills and conditions on the wiki...

Or just stick to skill 1 and have fun..

The DE system takes some getting used too.

Finally a game that gives the same overwhelming feeling that EQ did, in a possitive way.

Just accept the game to be different

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DoggettDoggett Member Posts: 39

Here's just a few random tips I wish I knew earlier 

• On the map you can see blue skill icons, get those to get skill points
    • You can send crafting items to your bank directly from your inventory by pressing the options button in the inventory
    • Heart quests when finished will allow you to buy items from the heart quest giver
    • You can teleport using the map (you have to have visited the teleport points to use them though)
    • You can open the trading post anywhere in the world (default is 'O' i think)
    • You can enable/disable auto attack for any skill by I think shift-rightclicking (could be ctrl, but it tells you if you hover a skill)

It's not going to help you fighting anything, but it'll make your life a bit easier :)

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Well, I didn't participate in BWEs but it's far from being my first MMO. Yet I barely understand what's happening around me. Skill descriptions barely make sense. WvWvW is a puzzle of its own - I'm not even close to understanding what's going on or what is I'm supposed to do there. (I can attack random targets ofc, but I have a feeling it's not exactly what WvWvW is about. ;)

The game seems quite sophisticated. In most MMOs you just rebind controls to my liking and look up about good builds and worthwhile addons.

In GW2 I feel like I'm lost, completely. The learning curve just skyrocketed right from the start and I'm looking at it hopelessly from down here. Not that it'll make me quit, but it's not a very pleasant feeling.

P.S. To get the right answers I need to ask the right questions. I realize this. Well, so far I don't even know the questions.

I would wait a bit before going to wvw if you havent played it before. Try leveling you char up to level 10 in pve at least (you dont really need it, but itll give you a firmer grasp of the basics)

Also what profession are you playing? Some (elementalist, mesmer...) can be more complicated to get into than others (guardian or warrior)

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Its overhelming first but just play u own speed. no need rush.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Isn't learning how to play part of the fun? The last thing I'd want to do is log in and know what's what...that sense of unfamiliarity and confusion is usually attached to my best MMO experiences.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    What? This game has a steep learning curve? I found it to be extremely easy and streamlined. Everything is automatic, there is absolutely nothing that had surprised me so far, so far, it's the most average game in terms of complexity I've played in years.

REALITY CHECK

Having a closer look, I again suggest scanning this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

Scroll through till a topic catches your eye. I didn't really appreciate how much info it has now as I hadn't looked at it in months.

I imagine it'll answer all of your questions, all that remains is you getting accustomed to combat mechanics (combos, dodging, boons, conditions - there's a LOT of important stufff going on and it takes time to learn and practice toget to a stage where you can play instinctually).

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Thillian
    What? This game has a steep learning curve? I found it to be extremely easy and streamlined. Everything is automatic, there is absolutely nothing that had surprised me so far, so far, it's the most average game in terms of complexity I've played in years.
    I guess I'm just a moron, then. I stayed away from most of the guides and such, just to see how easy it would be for me to pick up. It does take effort and ANet's "tips" aren't very deep.

To the OP, there are some good websites that have the skills broken down better and more in depth along with strategy and such. The following are 2 good ones here on MMORPG:
    Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html
    Aerowyns-Video-Compilation-of-ALL-things-Guild-Wars-2.html

Also:
    Guild Wars 2 Guru is a good website for info.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its actually rather simple, so long as you dont jump into pvp, then gl, not even testers understand. A lot of the skills and all sound complicated but outside dodging, gameplay is extremely easy. 
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    This is a really good thing proof that GW2 isn't another clone but something new and fresh . To the OP you might be out of your comfort zone for a few days but I'm sure you'll work  it all out and when you do you wont look back . Hope you have fun :) 
  • atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

Just run from heart to heart and when you finish all hearts, do all the skillpoints then move on to the next area.

In combat just press stuff on cooldown, combat is fast paced enough that it doesn't matter whether you cast stuff properly since in five seconds it will be back ready to cast again anyway.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

The game seems quite sophisticated. In most MMOs you just rebind controls to my liking and look up about good builds and worthwhile addons.

Welcome to playing a new game. MMORPG's, before WoW came out were all different and playing a new one always promised a steep learning curve. That's the way a new game should be. I'm lost as well, but it's way better than feeling like I'm playing the same game I've played in various forms since WoW came out. Enjoy that feeling, because soon enough you'll become an expert in this game too, and that's when boredom starts to set in.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    I do think the game could explain its mechanics a bit better, but I don't think it is so confusing that people won't get the hang of things within a few days.
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Nice attempt by a few to try and make GW2 sound more complex than it is.  The OP is probably wondering what to do, because he's used to something more complex. 

OP generally you just run around (in the zerg) and hit anything that moves.  Seems how most are playing it.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by grapevine

Nice attempt by a few to try and make GW2 sound more complex than it is.  The OP is probably wondering what to do, because he's used to something more complex. 

OP generally you just run around (in the zerg) and hit anything that moves.  Seems how most are playing it.

"Explain the Fall of the Roman Empire to us, Grapevine:

BADABOOOOOM¡¡¡

See? No need to make it complicated"

Originally posted by Thillian

Mr. Stephen Hawking is that you?

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Its actually rather simple, so long as you dont jump into pvp, then gl, not even testers understand. A lot of the skills and all sound complicated but outside dodging, gameplay is extremely easy. 

I mostly use dodge to get out of AoE pools on the ground. Seems to work fine.

But you're probably right about WvWvW. I really need to read up on this. I understand the player vs. gate part because I played WAR but the resource system is really puzzling.

[Edit] Still I enjoy playing this game! Combat is fast-paced and controls are responsive. Framerate is smooth on my rig @full HD and everything maxed even in large battles. I haven't noticed any lag.

In PvE mobs lose aggro and reset a bit too easily when I kite them but mostly it's fine. PvP is great. GTAoE can be a pain to aim properly unless you have the high ground but so it should be I guess.

I play a thief and so far mostly I use bow for as I like bow-related skills. Not sure if melee thief can be viable in WvW - people tend to insta-focus you if you get too close (this is expectable of course). Need to get a closer look at pistols.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Embrace not knowing. Enjoy discovery.