Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"... enough voice text to make 90 full length feature films"

MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

"We're finally allowed to reveal that has enough voiced text in it to make 90 full-length feature films. That's a lot of writin'!"

https://twitter.com/cynixy/status/239067941121966080

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Yup, and most of it is iddle npc chatter, and not so iddle chatter. :)
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    INB4 SWTOR comparison. Just Saiyan. :D
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Too bad all of it is painfully bad voice text.  
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Haters gonna hate.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

do you ever have a single positive thing to say ever?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I like how the world speaks to you instead of you having to walk up to someone to speak to them. Even the idle chatter amongst the NPCs has great voicework. They also hired some of the best voice actors in the business to do a lot of the voiceovers. Overall, I think the voice acting added a lot to making the world feel alive.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

He has too much fun peeing in kids cheerios @ birthday parties.

You wanna see something funny?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5024392#5024392

Originally posted by colddog04

such irony

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    I like how the world speaks to you instead of you having to walk up to someone to speak to them. Even the idle chatter amongst the NPCs has great voicework. They also hired some of the best voice actors in the business to do a lot of the voiceovers. Overall, I think the voice acting added a lot to making the world feel alive.

^ I agree.

I'm not a fan of long, drawn out quest/mission voicework in mmorpgs. But I really love how GW2 uses voice to ramp up the ambient chatter. It's definitely changed my outlook on voice work in mmo's.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

id be curious.

youtube has a metric you can use on your videos to get an idea of how many people are watching the whole thing.

I'd guess that Bioware's metric for this is unspinnable .. being that there isn't some guy on moneyline telling investors that voice acting has brought in millions of dollars.

I could be wrong and all, but this actually worries me. As someone who honestly could care less at this point about quest dialog ... 90 features films sounds like an aweful lot of content that people aren't space-barring through.

I understand some people like the movie aspect .. and im not trying to discount that .. but as someone who doesn't ... I just hope it's not going to halve the amount of content we see in every mmo moving forward.

If we are truly entering the age of variety in mmos .. why must every mmo have a billion hours of voice over?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

ha ha. Nailed, skewered and bagged.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

But for some reason it is acceptable in this game but not in Star Wars, go figure...

OH WAIT! I get it...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by azmundai

id be curious.

youtube has a metric you can use on your videos to get an idea of how many people are watching the whole thing.

I'd guess that Bioware's metric for this is unspinnable .. being that there isn't some guy on moneyline telling investors that voice acting has brought in millions of dollars.

I could be wrong and all, but this actually worries me. As someone who honestly could care less at this point about quest dialog ... 90 features films sounds like an aweful lot of content that people aren't space-barring through.

I understand some people like the movie aspect .. and im not trying to discount that .. but as someone who doesn't ... I just hope it's not going to halve the amount of content we see in every mmo moving forward.

If we are truly entering the age of variety in mmos .. why must every mmo have a billion hours of voice over?

It's not quest dialogue. It's all dialogue in the game. Unlike other games like SWTOR or WoW, the NPCs in GW2 interact with one another and talk. So you are you're running around, there are conversations going on around you. Some are meaningless, some are funny and some actually reveal secrets and lead to events and hidden stuff.

Edit: it's not like in SWTOR where there are a bunch of lfeless NPCs standing around and when you click on one, you get a 15 minute cutscene. It's more like you're running around and overhear 2 NPCs talking about a hidden lair in the sewers, then you go to the sewers and there is a hidden lair.

id be curious.

got to remember that while the personal story to Anet is a huge part of the game it is in no way THE game for them.. Just look at how many options outside the personal story you have to level in this game and what heartless said above much is the interactions you see all over the cities and towns not just personal story stuff

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

But for some reason it is acceptable in this game but not in Star Wars, go figure...

OH WAIT! I get it...

What did you get? I'm not getting it.

id be curious.

I think the difference is that in GW2, a lot of the voiceover is in the open world. The only time you see cutscenes is in your personal story and sometimes in dungeons.

I just see how they actually used the voiceover work to be better executed. It's not all cutscenes. It's around you all the time.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by heartless

Haters gonna hate.

Eh...kind of agree with him. The voiceacting I have heard so far is rather lackluster for the most part.

However, since storytelling via cinematics isn't the overall focus of the game it doesn't really bother me. Works well enough in the open world to help set the ambiance and immersion anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Some people are so unrelentingly angry, it boggles the mind.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    good thing that so much of it is in the NPC's all over the game world instead of all in one off, glitchy cutscenes ala SWTOR.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Haters gonna hate.

Eh...kind of agree with him. The voiceacting I have heard so far is rather lackluster for the most part.

However, since storytelling via cinematics isn't the overall focus of the game it doesn't really bother me.

Story voice acting is a bit weak but most of the voice acting is in the open world and that is top notch, in my opinion.

Haters gonna hate.

However, since storytelling via cinematics isn't the overall focus of the game it doesn't really bother me.

watch some story sequences from GW2 then go watch some for swtor.. I liked a lot of the dialogue in swtor but comparing them side by side find GW2 better in many cases. Nothing oscar worthy here but perfectly acceptable for a MMO imho

Haters gonna hate.

Story voice acting is a bit weak but most of the voice acting is in the open world and that is top notch, in my opinion.

I also think there is quite a wide berth between "painfully bad" and "rather lackluster."

watch some story sequences from GW2 then go watch some for swtor.. I liked a lot of the dialogue in swtor but comparing them side by side find GW2 better in many cases. Nothing oscar worthy here but perfectly acceptable for a MMO imho

Nah...I think SWTOR's is better. However, what GW2 does insanely above SWTOR is use it to set the immersion and ambiance in the open world leaps and bounds above SWTOR. Which makes the world seem alive unlike SWTOR.

That and it doesn't water down the game with so much story cinematics that the voiced cinematic scenes lose their uniqueness or ability to stand out.

Well...that and you don't have to hear your toon say the same goddamn line for the hundredth time.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

I also think there is quite a wide berth between "painfully bad" and "rather lackluster."

True...that's why I said kind of. Heh, I certainly don't find it awful or unbearable.

Rebel does seem to have a special kind of love for this game that certainly surpasses mine :P