Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: The Foundry Shapes the Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the more exciting features that will ship with Cryptic's Neverwinter is the Foundry, a way for players to create and share mods to the game. We've got a first look preview straight from Gamescom. Read on!

The Foundry in Neverwinter is one of the most exciting things being made in the genre today. If you don't know what it is, here's the quick run-down: it's a toolset for user-generated content. Yes, just like the old days, you will be able to manufacture your own quests, scenarios and designs for public consumption. Unlike the old days, however, The Foundry is built for the plug-and-play generation. No additional installations required.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Neverwinter: The Foundry Shapes the Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I cut my teeth on pen and paper D&D. After seeing the column yesterday I went and registered for the beta. I then saw on this sites game section no pvp :( It looks like it will be a great mmorpg for D&D vets, pvers and DDO players. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The foundry looks awesome.  I've seen some YouTube videos of it in action and I'm impressed.

Mind posting those vids?  I havnt seen them yet.

I too am looking forward to Neverwinter as well.  I like the look and atmosphere of the game so far and the combat systm is looking to do what Tera failed to do.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

If I may quote from a previous Neverwinter-themed post of mine:

"Foundry rocks, and if the former NWN community starts adding user-generated content, Neverwinter could be an awesome game."

Anyone is curious about the concept, just go and try it in STO. There are even Foundry spotlights if you can't choose from the (really long) list. For a content-oriented fellow like me, the Foundry is among the few best ideas that happened in mmo's in the last few years :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The player generated content in the former game was the best part.  This is what makes me happy they're making this game :D  NWN was my first MMO...although the aol version was 2d, it was still a blast.  I've been a fan of D&D since forever and NWN fan since day one :D
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Hell yeah Gravarg! AOL NWN was the best MMO that I have ever played hands down. What's sad is that it was built on outdated technologies and is still better then anything that we have today. Man if that doesn't tell you something about the state of the gaming industry I don't know what does :P

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

City of Heroes has this, and it is a big time problem.  While there are some great player created content, the VAST majority of people using/creating this system only use it for farming maps.

Create a city map, put tons of mobs every 20 meters or so, and just AE.  No story, no goals, nothing but AOR farming for groups.  This is the only thing groups use this for.

And the big problem is this.  95% of the actual game content goes totally unused.  There are something like 20-30 zones in the game and they are all pretty much empty.  Players will always navigate towards whatever is easier, and if Neverwinter is a "level your character" type of themepark MMO with this system in place, it will end up like COH.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Man this sounds so awesome. Concerns about creating maps for farming aside, I'm sure this feature will result in a never ending stream of some very epic game content.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

There will be PvP at launch.

@koboldfodder: there will be a limit to the number of levels you can gain from UGC per day.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

City of Heroes has this, and it is a big time problem.  While there are some great player created content, the VAST majority of people using/creating this system only use it for farming maps.

Create a city map, put tons of mobs every 20 meters or so, and just AE.  No story, no goals, nothing but AOR farming for groups.  This is the only thing groups use this for.

And the big problem is this.  95% of the actual game content goes totally unused.  There are something like 20-30 zones in the game and they are all pretty much empty.  Players will always navigate towards whatever is easier, and if Neverwinter is a "level your character" type of themepark MMO with this system in place, it will end up like COH.

I've played all of Cryptics games and yes you're right COH people seem to use it as farm maps. Most games don't farm for exp much these days though, we'll see how it goes. As much as I like COH's work on the Architect, the Foundry actually started on Star Trek Online, the version NW has is a newer one which Cryptic's said will get backported with more features. Right now I can say right off the bat that the STO Foundry blows the architect system away.

While COH has far more rewards for actually using architect maps, the foundry's actual technical stuff is great. You can actually edit the maps drop things where you want and stuff it isn't all generically generated maps like COH's. That said it does have it's failings, you can't make an indoor map from scratch it has to be something preexisting and modified. Supposedly NW is changing that I look forward to it. For anyone that wants to see what the foundry is like right now I'd suggest playing some STO.

To be honest though, I haven't played as a level 1 in a long time, not sure what you can do with those at level 1, not sure if you have to be a certain level ro play, I know you have have a certain amount of special currency to buy mission publishing slots to actually make your own though.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

City of Heroes has this, and it is a big time problem.  

City of Heroes doesn't have this, it has something else that was developed by Paragon Studios after Cryptic sold the game to NCSoft. Star Trek Online has a version of the Foundry though. Couldn't tell you if it managed to avoid the disaster that CoH's mission architect was for that game.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

This is exactly what I've been saying I want from an MMORPG for the longest time... this game will be the year's sleeper hit imho.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Gibbonici

City of Heroes doesn't have this, it has something else that was developed by Paragon Studios after Cryptic sold the game to NCSoft. Star Trek Online has a version of the Foundry though. Couldn't tell you if it managed to avoid the disaster that CoH's mission architect was for that game.

Mission Architect wasn't a disaster, the mindset of the player base (i.e. farming) was the downfall of Mission Architect in it's inception, however they have made great strides in improving the overall greatness of user generated content, but if people don't use it....it doens't matter.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I cut my teeth on pen and paper D&D. After seeing the column yesterday I went and registered for the beta. I then saw on this sites game section no pvp :( It looks like it will be a great mmorpg for D&D vets, pvers and DDO players. 

As others have commented, there will be PvP.  Originally it was sometime after lauch that PvP will be incorperated but when the news was released that the game is pushed till early 2013 Cryptic said a "robust" PvP system will be in place with launch.

The Foundry in STO is VERY favorable so would say it was a good success which Neverwinter's Foundry will be more advanced.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Mission Architect wasn't a disaster, the mindset of the player base (i.e. farming) was the downfall of Mission Architect in it's inception, however they have made great strides in improving the overall greatness of user generated content, but if people don't use it....it doens't matter.

I'm pretty much with you on that. I made quite a few linked missions with it, even managed to furtle multiple endings in one of them. But, I quit the game a few weeks later when it was impossible to get a team that wasn't tedium-rinsing the thousands of farms, and on the rare occasions I did hardly anyone knew how their level 48 FOTM blaster/scrapper/whatever worked.

Never understood how getting from 1-50 in 8 hours was fun, or how having 12 level 50s you couldn't play proved anything. I guess that was when I realised that many, if no most, MMOers are mostly interested in getting big numbers after their name rather becoming better players.

It was a real shame, I played CoX for 5 years and loved it. Took two weeks to walk away and never look back.

EDIT: Actually, now I've said all this I'm kinda tempted to give it another shot, just to see how it is these days ;)

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I can see it now: I didn't have enough zen to use a certain asset
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    call me pessimistic but i am not trusting cryptic anymore . champions online was the last straw for me 
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Part of the heavy RP branch of my guild will be playing Neverwinter part-time, around 30 of us and we love modding, been making mods for NWN 1&2, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, cant get enough of being able to make content for a game.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    call me pessimistic but i am not trusting cryptic anymore . champions online was the last straw for me 

Exactly so.

Cryptic: "Let the players try to make their own content so we can focus on the Cash Shop. (Besides, actually producing content is too much like work)."

Which is all Cryptic/PWE does these days.

Another good IP bites the dust.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Mark my words, this game is going to be the GW2 killer!
  • AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    I checked youtube and found gameplay video. From what I saw on the video I really got confused for a moment I thought I was watching GW2, the UI and gameplay looks like copy paste. Only difference I saw was the HP circle in GW2 is like a hexagon here but everything else was copied.
    Originally posted by Adelbern
    I checked youtube and found gameplay video. From what I saw on the video I really got confused for a moment I thought I was watching GW2, the UI and gameplay looks like copy paste. Only difference I saw was the HP circle in GW2 is like a hexagon here but everything else was copied.

Both are action RPG style.  Also Neverwinter didn't copy GW2 as it's more 4e inspired sytle and thats very similar how the system works.  Maybe Cryptic took some elements from GW2, which I find unlikely and really don't see it, but by far and large 4e is heavily apparent in the design.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Foundry just feels like the next logical step from nwn1 toolset to nwn2 toolset to Foundry.

I had a lot of fun with the NWN1 and NWN2 toolsets so I am really looking forward to Neverwinter.

That said I am trying not to build up too much expectation since it is Cryptic and none of their previous products have impressed me at all.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    NWN looks interesting. If they implement the travesty they call 4th edition rules then they aren't going to attract some of the older folks.