Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A message from an ANet dev

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OT: Is your avater Peter Dinklage?

Indeed :)!

OT (again, sorry): If you haven't already seen it, watch "The Station Agent." He's really a fine actor.  I would love to see him do Richard III.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Assuming that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product is a complete BS. So all other devs hate what they do, right?

Lets get down to Earth.

This is where it all fell apart.

THIS is the idea that was put into your head that anyone before was talking about other games and other devs not being passionate.

This, was the moment of inception.

*GONG*

To be fair there were several posts where people made comments such as "Bioware needs to learn from them."  Really?  Bioware needs to learn from them because one employee displayed their passion?  The implication is that Bioware does not have passionate employees and thus that is why SWTOR "failed".  Some of us have just pointed out that it's silly to assign that kind of power to one person's quote, and thus demean the efforts and passion of so many in all these other companies.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by grimal

OT: Is your avater Peter Dinklage?

Indeed :)!

OT (again, sorry): If you haven't already seen it, watch "The Station Agent." He's really a fine actor.  I would love to see him do Richard III.

I may have to check that out, I love him as Tyrion.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

People have the right to interpret your one line comments in any way they like. That was my interpretation since there was hardly any expalantion. However he did explain it later that this is not what he meant. That is why i mostly avoid posting one liners just to avoid drama because people often interpret it in their own way. 

If everybody acted as if everybody else was basically trying to be a decent human being unless they prove otherwise (Say, by explicitly saying bad things), I think this forum would be a lot more awesome place.

Probably just talking crazy here though.  :)

Like I said, it's probably super unproductive to automatically assume that other people are saying things in the worst possible way with lots of unwritten mean game-hating context.  Unless that's all that person does and the person just forgot to write all that stuff in their most recent post. :)

I don't see any undecent behavior here. Just a lot of  subtle reactions at a very vague one line statement which can be interpreted in many ways. 

However if you read more replies beyond Badspock's initial post you will see why this topic went the current direction.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by mmoluva
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

This was posted on Reddit as a quote from an ArenaNet employee who posted it on a fan site last night.

Thought it was fairly touching.

"I'm going to try to get some sleep, because I'm exhausted, and tomorrow is going to be a very long day. There is such a range of emotion I'm experiencing right now, but mostly I just want to say that I hope you guys love it. Love it forever, or love it and then move on to something else, but just love it, and know that three hundred of us melted down our hearts to give it to you. It's all yours soon."

Embarrasing and unnecessary.

such irony in this response

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

To be fair there were several posts where people made comments such as "Bioware needs to learn from them."  Really?  Bioware needs to learn from them because one employee displayed their passion?  The implication is that Bioware does not have passionate employees and thus that is why SWTOR "failed".  Some of us have just pointed out that it's silly to assign that kind of power to one person's quote, and thus demean the efforts and passion of so many in all these other companies.

Then you should have pointed to those posts as 'where it all fell apart', not Bad Spock's comment.  At that point in time, everybody was still being 100% reasonable and not talking about other games at all. :P

People have the right to interpret your one line comments in any way they like. That was my interpretation since there was hardly any expalantion. However he did explain it later that this is not what he meant. That is why i mostly avoid posting one liners just to avoid drama because people often interpret it in their own way. 

If everybody acted as if everybody else was basically trying to be a decent human being unless they prove otherwise (Say, by explicitly saying bad things), I think this forum would be a lot more awesome place.

Like I said, it's probably super unproductive to automatically assume that other people are saying things in the worst possible way with lots of unwritten mean game-hating context.  Unless that's all that person does and the person just forgot to write all that stuff in their most recent post. :)

I don't see any undecent behavior here. Just a lot of  subtle reactions at a very vague one line statement which can be interpreted in many ways. 

However if you read more replies beyond Badspock's initila post you will see why this topic went the current direction.

Uhh how can this statement be interpreted in different ways?

It's just a guy saying "This game has been a labor of love for me, I hope you all love it as much as I do!"

That's pretty literal.  Only through severe political twisting could you get something else out of it.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Or we can sort of apply the Occam's razor approach. Use the simplest, literal, interpretation first and if that doesn't work, move on to the more complex one.

In the case of "passionate developers = good games." I think it's pretty evident that the simplest interpretation works just fine.

• Sirr0Sirr0 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I know one thing, I am damn sorry I posted this now.

You shouldn't be there is no reason this became a shit flinging contest, people need to stop being cynical and stop flame baiting.    It's stupid to think this is 100% marketting,  could it have market value? Absolutely, anyone who works in retail knows passion in a product sells it.   It's when a product gets the "evil empire" fuzz around it, whether it deserves it or not will always look as the money grab.

Anyone who says SWTOR is 100% Corperate greed and not a bunch of hard working and passionate folks have never met a game dev before and really should look into it.   I have had a cynical view in the past and screamed from the roof tops about this but you know what changed? I went to PAX East two years in a row and had actual conversations with devs. 

I've chatted with developers on games on both sides of the fence both that have done good, and those who have done bad and you know whats the same? They are all have that radiance about them,  but just being passionate doesn't mean you are going to suceed.

I say we all root for those guys busting their balls to make the games we play and give them the benefit of the doubt that they truly work hard to make something they love, it doesn't mean you need to like the results but at least don't deprive them of that.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    clever marketing, to get people emotionally attached to your product. lol. clever

Yet you are here every day posting about guild wars 2, they got you. You seriously think that that's just marketing, they spent 5 years of their lives on this game. But then again you always like to play devils advocate on here don't you. I doubt you have ever cracked a smile in your life, you just bring everyone around you down.

Originally posted by Creslin321

However if you read more replies beyond Badspock's initila post you will see why this topic went the current direction.

It's just a guy saying "This game has been a labor of love for me, I hope you all love it as much as I do!"

That's pretty literal.  Only through severe political twisting could you get something else out of it.

And yet it was ;)

By the way you are confused by what i said about the statement being mis interpreted because i wans'nt talking about what dev said.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

Then you should have pointed to those posts as 'where it all fell apart', not Bad Spock's comment.  At that point in time, everybody was still being 100% reasonable and not talking about other games at all. :P

Okay, then here it is, from the first page, right after BadSpock's comment.

"This is why I have high hopes for this game.  These devs aren't just pushing out a product, this is an act of love.  When is the last time you've heard an MMO dev talk as if they put everything they have into their game?  And did it all for the fans."

Followed by:

"This is why some games fail while others succeed."

I'm not sure how you can not interpret posts like these as attacking the passion and dedication of employees at other companies solely on the basis that you didn't see ONE SINGLE interal post by one of their employees.

Originally posted by Creslin321

And yet it was ;)

By the way you are confused by what i said about the statement being mis interpreted because i wans'nt talking about what dev said.

Right you are!  My fault.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Right.  Right after.  I'm only in this topic to say that BadSpock appears to be pretty blameless. :P

I'm not going to argue about anybody else, but he was specifically pointed out by multiple people as the start of the badness, and that seems unfair to him.

Right.  Right after.  I'm only in this topic to say that BadSpock appears to be pretty blameless. :P

I'm not going to argue about anybody else, but he was specifically pointed out by multiple people as the start of the badness, and that seems unfair to him.

Agreed...

People are like ridiculously hyper-sensitive about their game of choice right now.  It's really baffling to me.

I feel like the opinion-police are constantly patrolling the GW2 forums waiting for someone to say something overly positive or something that can be interpreted as dissing another game and then they pounce on them.  Ridiculous really...but I guess it all speaks to GW2's potential success.  People tend to get angry about things that are a big deal ;).

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

These forums have lost their mind.

Rational thought is out the door!

I just got harrassed on another forum for "editting a post" when I in truth hit the "quote" button and the user in question editted their own post while I was typing my reply...

Sheesh.. calm down MMORPG.com! CALM DOWN

Can't we all just get along and respect each other?

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Uh, game dev hopes that that fans enjoy their game? People are moved by this? lol. 
  • NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

Love its the key..

its why we play

ty++

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I'm not sure what the Devs were thinking with GW2.

They melted down their hearts to make it?  That's just not a sensible business practice.  It isn't like they are going to grow new hearts later.  They should have melted down other people's hearts* into the game, as that's a more easily renewable resource.  Man, I don't know how GW2 is going to get developed now after launch.

Worst news ever.

*Orphans are popular.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Well said!

Passionate developers = great games.

I agree. And this is why Blizzard and Bioware no longer make great games.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Mods better have the lock button at the ready this week. Forcast is looking Trolly
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Well said!

This :)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Well said!

I think this is entirely true and entirely too sad :(

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I didn't read the entire thread, but it is fairly easy to see that the haters that stepped in here are very selfish. The intent of the OP was to share something important to the GW2 community here.

I hope that in a few hours they can go back to what they enjoy doing.  I for one will be playing my Norn ass off and avoiding their childish, jealous behavior. Good luck in all your gaming choices and good luck in RL, you will need it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by SuperDonk

Well said!

For millions that are still enjoying Blizzard and Bioware games would disagree with you. No wonder the whole topic turned to garbage after this one post and other people's own interpretation of it.