Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A message from an ANet dev

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Assuming that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product is a complete BS. So all other devs hate what they do, right?

I don't think anyone said that only GW2 devs care about their product.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

The only person to say "all other devs must hate what they do" was.... you!

Can we please just take this for what it is? A personal post from an excited and happy developer on what is to be the eve of all of their years of hard work paying off.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    you cant really blame this website for the attitudes and actions of people who visit it. Its not like it costs money to come setup an account here and its free. This community is no different then any other mmorpg site out there infact probably a bit tamer. Some of the others have communities like league of legends does like mmosite.  When you log in game or on the offical forums you will see a lot less trolling and hate threads because people that had an interest invested in the game are there. Here and other sites there is plenty of people who are not interested in playing it or are not hyped up by games releases so they say bad things about them. I dont seriously understand why people put others on ignore on these sites. If people offend you that bad on the net , i think you just take them to seriously. Take it all like a grain of salt and just chuckle at the insane comments.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

Not to be a jerk because I love the sentiment and have already bought 2 copies of the game (one for me and one for my wife) but do you really believe that the Arenanet employees are the only passionate ones because you happen to have seen one post by one of their employees?

I bet you there were internal posts similar to this right before the SWTOR launch, the Secret World Launch, the Warhammer launch, the Age of Conan Launch, the Champions launch, etc.  Just because you didn't happen to see them doesn't mean they didn't have just as many hard-working, passionate and dedicated employees who all hoped you'd love the game they spent years working on.

^This

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Not to be a jerk because I love the sentiment and have already bought 2 copies of the game (one for me and one for my wife) but do you really believe that the Arenanet employees are the only passionate ones because you happen to have seen one post by one of their employees?

I bet you there were internal posts similar to this right before the SWTOR launch, the Secret World Launch, the Warhammer launch, the Age of Conan Launch, the Champions launch, etc.  Just because you didn't happen to see them doesn't mean they didn't have just as many hard-working, passionate and dedicated employees who all hoped you'd love the game they spent years working on.

No, I'm sure that other developers are passionate about their titles as well. However, this topic is about a particular post made by an ArenaNet developer. So we're commenting on that post. Other developers have nothing to do with anything.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by heartless

No, I'm sure that other developers are passionate about their titles as well. However, this topic is about a particular post made by an ArenaNet developer. So we're commenting on that post. Other developers have nothing to do with anything.

It has relevance in the sense that people have latched on to this quote to point out how passionate developers = great games.  The implication of this sentiment is that we didn't see these passionate posts by other developers and many of their games were perceived to have been, or actually were, flops therefore it's because they did not have passionate employees, but were rather all motivated purely by profit. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

"Guild Wars 2: Made with 65% more love than the nearest competitor." Just to show the guy you're quoting wasn't the one to bring such comparisons up.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Wow ... it doesn't matter what the threads about, Negative Nancy's pour in.

There's absolutely nothing constructive about it, it's just being negative for the sake of being negative. =/

Originally posted by Distopia

"Guild Wars 2: Made with 65% more love than the nearest competitor." Just to show the guy you're quoting wasn't the one to bring such comparisons up.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Assuming that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product is a complete BS. So all other devs hate what they do, right?

Lets get down to Earth.

Get the wax out of your ears (or blinders off your eyes).  No one here said that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product, but we are addressing a specific QUOTE from a GW2 dev, so....yeah.  Think about it a minute.  Seriously.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    What a big girl image
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It has relevance in the sense that people have latched on to this quote to point out how passionate developers = great games.  The implication of this sentiment is that we didn't see these passionate posts by other developers and many of their games were perceived to have been, or actually were, flops therefore it's because they did not have passionate employees, but were rather all motivated purely by profit. 

^^This.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Redemp

There's absolutely nothing constructive about it, it's just being negative for the sake of being negative. =/

yea seriously every single happy or positive thread on here is diminished in a cespool of hate.. very sad

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

yea seriously every single happy or positive thread on here is diminished in a cespool of hate.. very sad

Hate? WHo hated on GW2 in this thread?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

wasn't really talking about this thread but in general there have been tons of happy or positive threads about people excited about released and almost everytime a group of people have to chime in to bring the mood down.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The guy on page 1 who tried to claim it was just "clever marketing".

The guy on page 2, who made the "hook, line and sinker" comment, attempting to insinuate that we are suckers.

Just a start, not hate, but absolutely ignorance.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Lets get down to Earth.

Get the wax out of your ears (or blinders off your eyes).  No one here said that ONLY GW2 devs care about their product, but we are addressing a specific QUOTE from a GW2 dev, so....yeah.  Think about it a minute.  Seriously.

Some of you may just be giving kudos.  Others are most definitly implying the other devs don't care nearly as much.

These devs aren't just pushing out a product, this is an act of love.  When is the last time you've heard an MMO dev talk as if they put everything they have into their game?  And did it all for the fans.

This is why some games fail while others succeed.

Nice to see developers feeling a passion for their creation. So many see their job as a pay cheque at the end of the month. 

etc, etc.

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

Mmorpg.com is starting to look a lot like 4chan right about now, sad really.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Come on, seriously?

Random made up statistic written in jest is now being taken as a fact for an argument that someone suggested Anet where the only passionate developers?

Come on Distopia... this isn't a courtroom and things on forums have to be read/understood in the spirit in which they were written / presented.

Are we seriously that bad here on MMORPG.com that we sh!t on every.single.positive thread about anything?

No one outright hated on it but a few people jumped in and tried to turn a seemingly positive thread into a negative one.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i think some of you guys dont know how the industry actually works here. You do not get paid as a dev to think , you get paid as a dev to write code and use tools to design something that is already on paper . Most companies out there do not care about the games they make and if you were out of the industry or have friends in it ask them. The only time you are ever going to havea say as a dev is if you are with a smaller company where the studio leads know you . Some companies are better then others though and the sole job of a producer is to go around and make sure that every division inside a game studio is on a time line to get whats asked of them done. Making games is not some democracy , you answer to the lead designer in your division and they then answer to the CEO in meetings etc. Hardly any creatvitiy is all that involved in some studios , its just make what is set in front of you.

ANet seems to be a easy going studio and why you see a higher quality game being released here. But i highly doubt the average dev gets any say in much of anything except maybe with their senior for their department. So saying that all game companies have passion is not entirely true because most do not , most just make games for a paycheck and thats the end of it. Also if you think that game companies like EA or NCsoft have no say you are foolish , they give you all the money you need to pay Your employees and provide their benefits package , they give you a timeline and you have to meet their goals each week or month etc that they set for you.

wasn't really talking about this thread but in general there have been tons of happy or positive threads about people excited about released and almost everytime a group of people have to chime in to bring the mood down.. 

Tis the nature of the beast. Misery loves company as they say. But I really didn't see much of that in this thread, rather people questioning intent behind certain statements made. Personally I always look at statements from Devs like this as them killing two birds with one stone, expressing themeselves while selling a few boxes in the process.

Most devs have some level of passion, as well as a drive to be successful and competitive, it's part of the industry.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    People need to stop bastardizing the sincerity behind intent of this thread.
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Come on, seriously?

Random made up statistic written in jest is now being taken as a fact for an argument that someone suggested Anet where the only passionate developers?

Come on Distopia... this isn't a courtroom and things on forums have to be read/understood in the spirit in which they were written / presented.

Are we seriously that bad here on MMORPG.com that we sh!t on every.single.positive thread about anything?

I was just trying to show that the guy didn't come in with his statement from left field.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Bioware should learn from Anet.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    People need to stop bastardizing the sincerity behind intent of this thread.

I know. Just like the sincerity of the Appology thread on the Diablo 3 forums. Accept them at face value and move on!!