Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An EPIC waste of time

smakusmaku Member Posts: 67

Ok i see posts claiming one game is better than the other etc... But let me tell you a few things.

I played EQ1 for a LONG ass time and had a 65 beastlord with 208aa's and a 57 wizard... I played FFXI for a long ass time as well and had a level 57 Beastmaster (yeah that used to be my style). also had multiple other jobs to use as subjobs (whm/war/rdm/drk/blm/rng) etc...

I then moved on to every other mmorpg in the  world and eventually landed in WoW. I had a 60 shaman on nethrazim named Gage, before MC was out i sold that account therefor he had no tier2+ gear... I then started a new account after a month or so off and ended up with a level 60 Warlock on Eonar... I got into the best guild on the server (Evil Empire) , ran MC / Ony / Kaz  more times than i would like to count and also began to break into BWL.

The conclusions i came to about mmorpg's is that they are all essentially the same. As much as anyone would like to think one game has huge depth and is better than others, they are all incredibly simple games with little depth (even though WoW was like a 30 million dollar project)...

What i am saying to you is that MMO's are a terrible waste of time.... I was one of the players with a lot of skill and experience and eventually you just get to a point where they are all the same... It's really time for a new type of mmorpg to break the ice in an original way. World War II online is a great game and very different from the rest, i suggest people try it out ( i don't actually play it anymore , i don't play any mmo's now but at least WW2OL is original)...

Anyways, I know it must seem like i'm saying a lot of nothing, but try to understand that every one of you that are lookign for the savior to mmo's will constantly be disappointed, because games simply cannot have the depth you are all looking for.....

In the end , IMO, the 2 best MMO's on the market are Shadowbane and WW2OL, both are very different from the regular games (shadowbane you can literally control the world and every city in it, although it's only been done a couple times by very skilled individuals)....

But i must say, as far as "normal" mmo's go, WoW has the best end-game out there. Blackwing Lair, MC, and even UBRS (before everyone learned the pattern to defeating it) are great instances that actually require REAL teamwork and everyone to do well. If 1 person messes up it can be game over for the entire raid (that's when you get removed from the guild).

SO, enjoy your mmorpg's , but don't look for something that isn't there. These games are all limited.

EDIT::   I should also mention that EVE online is an awesome game... it is probly the only game that doesn't fit into my "epic waste of time" catagory (which includes every mmo i've ever played)....

Eve online is completely original and , while lacking a bit of depth for non-enterprising individuals, it is a dream come true for anyone looking for a game wehre they can start their own businesses, including paying your employees (who are actually other players) and competing for the richest mining fields in the galexy...   Truly eve is a good game. 

You might wonder why i don't play it , and i can't really answer you that, i guess i just don't want to play mmo's anymore, but if i ever come back to them and not much has changed, EVE would almost certainly be my first pick. (roma victor looks interesting as well but i'll have to try it out first)

Comments

• AvituAvitu Member Posts: 140

Thanks for sharing this...

That being said, what are you trying to achieve by saying MMORPGs are a waste of time, especially when you post it on a site, where EVERYONE is a mmorpg'er?

------------------------------------------
    Basil Fawlty: [to telephone operator] I've been trying to get through to the speaking clock... Well, it's engaged... Well, it's been engaged for ten minutes. How is this possible? My wife isn't talking to it.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Lol, Eve can never be a waste of time. It's the only game that allows you to get other things done while 'playing', like watching tv, mowing the lawn, painting the house, etc. ::::31::

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• DominaxDominax Member Posts: 62
    LOL saying wow has the best end game is like saying a blind man can eventually see again. WOW end game is this. "let's run a high level instance for 6 hours with a legion of people who want the same drop and if we roll high enough we get it" what a joke!
  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Avitu
    Thanks for sharing this...
    That being said, what are you trying to achieve by saying MMORPGs are a waste of time, especially when you post it on a site, where EVERYONE is a mmorpg'er?

Should he post it on the Barbie Forums?

@ topic: essentially most games are a waste of time, tbh.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• narrowpathnarrowpath Member Posts: 110
    The Funny thing is that im on my like 10th or 11th mmo and i've already found that there almost all the same. Some are funner than other and some hold my attention longer ( Daoc a lot of content to go through) but i never could last to the end game part of it mainly because i hate repetitiveness in games and thats eventually what all of these mmo's become grindfest to the end of doing the same thing over and over again. But I keep continuing to play them and hopefully i will find one to fill my time til RU online comes, i play it and find its boring also, and then spellborn: the chronicles ( hopefully that ones fun). Anyways im on my second time for Eve online and i believe i will try it for  a month this time to see how fun it actually is.
  • CroeCroe Member Posts: 194

I agree with you man, Ill play an mmorpg whole heartedly untill the repetititveness starts to get to me.I like the "new game feel" i like the feeling of exploring and not knowing what to do. Lately i been getting burned out on wow and right now there isnt alot out. (i tryied a couple of the free mmorpg's to) i do feel like they are all the same in some sence tho. and sometimes nothing can kill a game faster for you then the endgame cause if you felt it was repetitive before welll then youd still think that way at the in repeating isnt fun,repeating isnt fun,repeating isnt fun (rotfl okay ill stop)

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

There is logic behind OP. However, the way I see it is MMOs should NOT be played as a job, but rather entertainment. If you play 10hours daily, you will end up at the end level fast and burn out soon after. No one can accomodate 100% of playerbase, so Bliz did what noone has done before, they accommodated the majority - casual players. Leveling in WoW is fast and joyfull - but if you are like me, playing 3-4 hours a day at best, then its gonna take you a while to get to the high end.

One suggestion I can make u, if u like WW2O, try Planetside - there is no hiend content, there are no NPCs, no PvE, theres just PvP in its purest form - tangible PvP rewards, HUGE (300+) battles for base/land control - all completely skill based (your skill, not your char skill).

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• ZprimeZprime Member Posts: 37

/agreed

I play WoW for maybe 2-4 hours daily, if I am lucky enough to find time.  I have been playing since the North American release. And have managed to only reach 1 levle 60 character. 

I don't like to concentrate on one particular character for a long while either.  My level 60 ( Paladin)  was put aways for about 2 months when he hit 42 and i experiemented with other classes to avoid the repetiveness of grinding/questing a bit/grinding. 

WoW has been able to keep me interested and even entertained all this time.  I have one of every character to at least level 25, except druid.  My advice is to not get caught up with one character if you want fun and want to avoid repetiveness.  There is a reason why there are so many races/classes, put them to use :)

Currently attemting end game with 60 Pally

Approaching End Game/PvP with 57 Mage

and working on having fun with 48 Rogueimage

"A day without denial is a day you've got to face."

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by smaku

I then moved on to every other mmorpg in the  world and eventually landed in WoW. I had a 60 shaman on nethrazim named Gage, before MC was out i sold that account therefor he had no tier2+ gear... I then started a new account after a month or so off and ended up with a level 60 Warlock on Eonar... I got into the best guild on the server (Evil Empire) , ran MC / Ony / Kaz  more times than i would like to count and also began to break into BWL.

You would at least have the courtesy of protecting the name of the char who someone paid you good real money for.

Geez sellers nowadaysimage

• RITBeastRITBeast Member Posts: 17

I tend to agree with the OP. The problem I had in WoW was that after you hit 60, there was no longer anywhere to explore, or new things to do, aside from going through the same dungeons a few hundred times to get the gear you needed to do the next dungeon a few hundred times. Starting a new character didn't bring the same awe and wonder of exploring a new world for me, and I had to cancel my account.

• n8webbn8webb Member Posts: 18
    maybe your should get a girlfriend instead of spending so much time/money on something that gets you nowhere but a fat 40 year old dork sitting at a computer upstairs in his parents house.
  • Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

Originally posted by n8webb
    maybe your should get a girlfriend instead of spending so much time/money on something that gets you nowhere but a fat 40 year old dork sitting at a computer upstairs in his parents house.

Well, I should say the same to you... becuase you are on a MMO site and you would have not made an account here if ya did nit play games/MMO's.

So don't, DO NOT, ever judge people...

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::
    ---------------------------------------------

• DigableDDigableD Member Posts: 71

imo oppinion any game is a waste of time. mmorpg's are all epic wastes of time. but man, they just had to go make them so much fun.

• BloodgoodBloodgood Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Dominax
    WOW end game is this. "let's run a high level instance for 6 hours with a legion of people who want the same drop and if we roll high enough we get it" what a joke!

Finally someone finds the correct explanation.image  This should be printed in the dictonary, when you look up "WoW endgame" you´ll read this.

But the road getting to the end game from level 1 to 60 in WoW is fun.image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Famous people speak out:

”Im for the death penalty. If you commit a terrible crime you should have a harsh punishment...So you learn until next time.”
    -Britney Spears

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671

Originally posted by smaku
    Ok i see posts claiming one game is better than the other etc... But let me tell you a few things.
    I played EQ1 for a LONG ass time and had a 65 beastlord with 208aa's and a 57 wizard... I played FFXI for a long ass time as well and had a level 57 Beastmaster (yeah that used to be my style). also had multiple other jobs to use as subjobs (whm/war/rdm/drk/blm/rng) etc...
    I then moved on to every other mmorpg in the world and eventually landed in WoW. I had a 60 shaman on nethrazim named Gage, before MC was out i sold that account therefor he had no tier2+ gear... I then started a new account after a month or so off and ended up with a level 60 Warlock on Eonar... I got into the best guild on the server (Evil Empire) , ran MC / Ony / Kaz more times than i would like to count and also began to break into BWL.
    The conclusions i came to about mmorpg's is that they are all essentially the same. As much as anyone would like to think one game has huge depth and is better than others, they are all incredibly simple games with little depth (even though WoW was like a 30 million dollar project)...

What i am saying to you is that MMO's are a terrible waste of time.... I was one of the players with a lot of skill and experience and eventually you just get to a point where they are all the same... It's really time for a new type of mmorpg to break the ice in an original way. World War II online is a great game and very different from the rest, i suggest people try it out ( i don't actually play it anymore , i don't play any mmo's now but at least WW2OL is original)...

Anyways, I know it must seem like i'm saying a lot of nothing, but try to understand that every one of you that are lookign for the savior to mmo's will constantly be disappointed, because games simply cannot have the depth you are all looking for.....

In the end , IMO, the 2 best MMO's on the market are Shadowbane and WW2OL, both are very different from the regular games (shadowbane you can literally control the world and every city in it, although it's only been done a couple times by very skilled individuals)....
    But i must say, as far as "normal" mmo's go, WoW has the best end-game out there. Blackwing Lair, MC, and even UBRS (before everyone learned the pattern to defeating it) are great instances that actually require REAL teamwork and everyone to do well. If 1 person messes up it can be game over for the entire raid (that's when you get removed from the guild).

SO, enjoy your mmorpg's , but don't look for something that isn't there. These games are all limited.

EDIT:: I should also mention that EVE online is an awesome game... it is probly the only game that doesn't fit into my "epic waste of time" catagory (which includes every mmo i've ever played)....

Eve online is completely original and , while lacking a bit of depth for non-enterprising individuals, it is a dream come true for anyone looking for a game wehre they can start their own businesses, including paying your employees (who are actually other players) and competing for the richest mining fields in the galexy... Truly eve is a good game.
    You might wonder why i don't play it , and i can't really answer you that, i guess i just don't want to play mmo's anymore, but if i ever come back to them and not much has changed, EVE would almost certainly be my first pick. (roma victor looks interesting as well but i'll have to try it out first)

We want to be leet can't you understand? ;) and I agree with your comment that "MMO's are a terrible waste of time" 100%.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Yes, video games are a huge waste of time and so are MMORPG's, and of course they are all the same. All MMORPG's are based on the same thing, kill guys to get xp to increase in level to get access to better items to kick more ass. I think everybody agrees with you that MMORPG's are all the same, it's the same genre, so of course they are all going to be the same.

Furthermore, action movies are, in reality, all the same, that's why I won't watch your average action movie as it is all the same thing. Also, life is pretty damn boring too. Wake up eat, go to the bathroom, go to work, come home waste your time on some BS, go to sleep and rinse and repeat, if instead of work you go to school, then give it a few years before the boredom of life starts to hit.

Essentially, I don't think you're saying anything that people don't already know, yes all MMORPG's are the same, but some are just more enjoyable to go through.

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.