Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a retro console game for a long time PC gamer

snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

Ok so I downloaded a bunch of emulators and roms since I got bored of playing all the games that I currently have on my PC and I wanted to kill some time till Diablo III comes out. I never owned a console during my Childhood so I have no idea about games like Zelda, Castlevania, Harvest Moon etc etc

Things I am looking for in the game:

A good story. Graphics do not matter however I am kinda partial to cell shaded graphics.

I prefer RPG's however I also like to play platformers and action adventure games.

Emulators that I currently have:

PS 2, PS 1, Game Cube, Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, N64, Dreamcast, GBA, NDS, Wii

I know there are a lot of good games so please go ahead and suggest more than one.

I am thinking of giving Legend of Zelda a go since I have heard so much about it.

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Theres been so many great RPG's on the older consoles.  Here are a few of my favorites from the sega mega drive (Genesis)

• Shining in the Darkness

• Shining Force 1 & 2

• Sword of Vermillion

• Shadowrun

• Phantasy Star II, & IV

• Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

• MIght & Magic: Gates to Another World
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Ocarina of Time is a must try for N64.

As for other recommendations I would definetly say Super Mario series on the NES :)

• Chaos_AmunetChaos_Amunet Member Posts: 9

I was never a huge gamer when I was a kid, but the Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy series managed to hold my interest. I also loved old-school Mario -- the original, especially.

Also, this. I never knew this game existed before I found the emulation, but it totally made my day.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

"Seventh Cross: Evolution" and "Skies of Arcadia" were both fantastic for the Dreamcast.

The first was literally an evolution simulator. You started off as a paramecium in a pond, where you ate plants and/or smaller organisms, then evolved into something bigger (you could manipulate your DNA based on what you ate/collected/absorbed). It was sort of like "Spore," but a decade before Molyneux ever thought of it. Also, while "Spore" was more of a strategy game, "Seventh Cross: Evolution" was a bit more action-oriented.

Skies of Arcadia was, and still is, one of the best JRPGs I've played. It had great characters, fun gameplay (including tactical battels between flying pirate ships), and lots of hidden treasures. It was really a gem of a game.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by snowytechna

Ok so I downloaded a bunch of emulators and roms since I got bored of playing all the games that I currently have on my PC and I wanted to kill some time till Diablo III comes out. I never owned a console during my Childhood so I have no idea about games like Zelda, Castlevania, Harvest Moon etc etc

Things I am looking for in the game:

A good story. Graphics do not matter however I am kinda partial to cell shaded graphics.

I prefer RPG's however I also like to play platformers and action adventure games.

Emulators that I currently have:

PS 2, PS 1, Game Cube, Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, N64, Dreamcast, GBA, NDS, Wii

I know there are a lot of good games so please go ahead and suggest more than one.

I am thinking of giving Legend of Zelda a go since I have heard so much about it.

ps1,ps2 have the best games even for today

mgs1,2,3

jak and daxter

ratchet and clank

crash bandicoot

zone of the enders 1,2

the best jrpg ever till today wich is ofc ff7

ff6,ff8,ff9

medieval

res1,2,3

legacy of kain

the largest jrpgs catalogue ever

tons of games its crazy

• dna_mordna_mor Member Posts: 10

Sega Saturn. 

Lots of great games. I'm too lazy to list them, but X-MEN VS STREET FIGHTER (Japanese import) was on it. As for US released games, Marvel VS CAPCOM series and anything else from Capcom as far as fighitng games go were great on Sega Dreamcast. 

Too bad DC became a haven for pirated emulations... 

• Chrono Trigger for the SNES.
  • alicebeautexalicebeautex Member Posts: 6

Harvest Moon 

Final Fantasy X.

Onimusha

I think Final fantasy X and onimusha is still better in graphics.

If you play those game with some good quality speaker it will be more fun :) 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Chrono Trigger for the SNES.

This about a million times over. Although, I have run into issues with roms not having all 10 different endings or the New Game+ feature.

I also suggest Secret of Mana, another classic SNES game.

Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

Final Fantasy Tactics is an excellent turn based strategy game. Although it is possible to create god-like characters. Originally for the PS1 and revamped for PSP.

Additionally, if you're looking for a semi-diablo like experience Phantasy Star Online originally for the Dreamcast is a good game. Although more fun in multiplayer.

• gameluxgamelux Member Posts: 3

Sega Saturn and Sonic CD, its really cool!

-----------------

Xbox Live Points