Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One thing GW2 has done to consistently raise the bar

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Smooth launches. Think about it.

SW:TOR we had the queue times and couldn't get in until all of our names were taken. That's no way to start a launch. In waves, yeah right. Most launches like Warhammer and Age of Conan were terrible. MMO launches are bad.

But GW2 has tested their servers weeks and days in advance in order to make sure that they will have the perfect launch. No crashes, no queue times, just log in and play with a good connection, that's all.

Comments

• AndorhalAndorhal Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Syno23

SW:TOR we had the queue times and couldn't get in until all of our names were taken. That's no way to start a launch. In waves, yeah right. Most launches like Warhammer and Age of Conan were terrible. MMO launches are bad.

But GW2 has tested their servers weeks and days in advance in order to make sure that they will have the perfect launch. No crashes, no queue times, just log in and play with a good connection, that's all.

Of course I am hoping this is the case, but your post is a bit too early. We haven't seen the smooth launch yet, can't really say that they have made the perfect launch until they actually pull it off.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    They're attemping to raise the bar much better than other MMO companies that tried for that perfect launch. But yeah, the post is a bit too early.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Probably part of the reasoning behind all the stress tests is not just to stress the login servers but to give them an idea of server capacities and how many they really need for a smooth launch. I'd hazard a guess that a high percentage of people planning to play have already pre-purchased.

Keeping the BWE's and stress tests short will have encouraged more people to log in any chance they get, rather than a more spread out beta where people can log in when they fancy. Quite clever really.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Well don't all mmo companies attempt to raise the bar? I've never once in all my years witnessed a company say: Ah fuck it! Flip the switch to launch the damn thing and let's go grab a brewski!

No I rhink most think very highly of their mmo creations no matter how you perceive them of not caring about doing better than those before them.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Well don't all mmo companies attempt to raise the bar? I've never once in all my years witnessed a company say: Ah fuck it! Flip the switch to launch the damn thing and let's go grab a brewski!

No I rhink most think very highly of their mmo creations no matter how you perceive them of not caring about doing better than those before them.

Never played a Funcoma game?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Whilst I hope that you are indeed correct, its too early to tell. 

ANet have done everything they can and stressed out and tested the servers to breaking point a LOT even til the day before launch(headstart) but until the game actually launches....

The proof is in the pudding as they say...

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Today I learned that ANet invented stress testing and no one has ever done it before.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Why don't we wait.. I don't know, say... 1 more day before declaring launch a success.

TSW had a pretty good launch by the way.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The TSW launch would like to meet you.

It was among the smoothest MMO launches that I have seen.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by colddog04

Why don't we wait.. I don't know, say... 1 more day before declaring launch a success.

TSW had a pretty good launch by the way.

All 300 people enjoyed the launch

Originally posted by Jagarid

The TSW launch would like to meet you.

It was among the smoothest MMO launches that I have seen.

Yeah but there was only 20 of you so there ya go! I'm sorry I'm just kidding. I couldn't resist that.

Yeah but there was only 20 of you so there ya go! I'm sorry I'm just kidding. I couldn't resist that.

LOL, valid point.

It was still pretty darn impressive though, given their track record.

Back on topic, GW2 will be the first MMO since EverQuest where I am actually sitting on my pc at the exact minute the servers go up.  So I am hoping that it does raise the bar as TC suggests.   Either way, I'm very excited to find out!

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Rift had a smooth launch. Was well planned and beta was so well polished. It's nice to see GW2 is doing okay in the beta department, but setting the bar?
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Keller
    Rift had a smooth launch. Was well planned and beta was so well polished. It's nice to see GW2 is doing okay in the beta department, but setting the bar?

Ok this thread is just a tad premature - but had the OP said "setting the bar with real Stress Testing and Realtime Patching During BWEs" it would've been a lot more accurate and better received.

I've worked in professional software shops and gaming shops and so far (remember proof really comes over the next week or so) ANet really strikes me as a Pro Shop. The tools and effort they have put into testing and realtime updates is truly impressive in an industry rather famous for amateur coding and sloppy rollouts.

(and this is in no way a knock against Trion and RIFT - they rock too!)

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

TERA had a fairly smooth launch in the US.  The PvP servers were a little packed on the first few days, but that's about it.

And maybe it's just me, but if we as gamers are setting the bar so low that "smooth launch" is anything but expected, I think there's a reason why companies like EA and Ubisoft can trample over us like they do.

• JohabohaJohaboha Member Posts: 20
    You're declaring a perfectly smooth launch... before the game has launched?  Please enlighten me, not sure if op is from future.
  • AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Hmm. First of all, TOR actually had an ubelievably smooth launch... Ya it was done in waves, and that pissed off the kiddies who thought they were entitled to everything they wanted, when they wanted. But TOR was a very smooth launch. My latency never went above 120ms with TOR during the early start and official launch. No disconnects either. Yes WAR and AoC had terrible launches. So did most mmos, save for WoW.

Secondly, GW2 has not launched yet... So if you 'think about it', you can't yet judge GW2's launch, because it hasn't happened yet. But their beta and stress tests do indicate a smooth launch in the near future. Just don't make any conclusions yet, anything can happen, it's an mmo.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96

it's terrifying how simple you guys are here. OP is trolling this forum day after day with extreme sattire of his perception of GW2 fans. stop replying seriously to all his posts.

Originally posted by BlueLantern

it's terrifying how simple you guys are here. OP is trolling this forum day after day with extreme sattire of his perception of GW2 fans. stop replying seriously to all his posts.

We've got 26 hours yet before launch.  Playing with trolls is a way to pass the time.

• ShiroRyuujinShiroRyuujin Member Posts: 13

You obviously weren't there for the 5-6 hour queues to get on every server.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You just described Funcom in your first sentence.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 10

Quoted for lulz.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Uhh rift had the smoothest launch ive ever seen. Tsw a close second.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by ShiroRyuujin

You obviously weren't there for the 5-6 hour queues to get on every server.

Im sorry but queues are normal. Rift atleast for me had zero DC and only 1 crash. No lag during rifts and zone events.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    To be fair, neither Rift nor TSW were this popular and had so many trying to log in at once, my game would launch easier to if I had less population to worry about, in comparison, not saying they didn't have sizable pops, but no where near what GW2 or for that matter WoW ever had.  WoW had a horrible launch too BECAUSE of population issues.  To me, it comes with the territory of being an MMO.