Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Guild Wars 2 be the one? ....

124»

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by sintenal84k
    GW2 will be dead for you if you are a PvE, but might last a bit longer if you are into PvP, since 5 man dungeons never last more than a few times. But imo i think it is worth buying no matter what you are into because as a mmo fan, you must buy every over hyped mmo out there, just so there could be a chance for the feeling of domination.

Were you planning on adding any facts to support this claim, or did you just intend to let it stand as is?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    GW2 will be dead for you if you are a PvE, but might last a bit longer if you are into PvP, since 5 man dungeons never last more than a few times. But imo i think it is worth buying no matter what you are into because as a mmo fan, you must buy every over hyped mmo out there, just so there could be a chance for the feeling of domination.

Were you planning on adding any facts to support this claim, or did you just intend to let it stand as is?

PvP is all this game has to offer, look at the fact this game CLEARLY focuses around WvWvW and sPvP so much. Can't you see it... I must be blind, bec I clealy can't. Just me on this or what?

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I have a bad habit that is difficult for me to kick.  I start a new MMO.  In the beginning I LOVE it.  A new world.  You get that "Im getting stronger" feeling as you level quickly in the beginning.  Begin to try out new gameplay styles, etc.  I then tell my other gaming friends they have to play this game! 

Then I get to around level 30 or so and the fun isnt there like it used to be.  Leveling is slower (though thats a plus in my book as I love to level slow), the gameplay become transparent and I begin to see the underlying mechanic.  Oh, I have to kill 10 of THESE now.  Or oh, another 'new' hub doing the same thing.  Then it starts to feel like a chore.  I HAVE to login because I loved this game at one point, and if I can just make it to max level I can do cool stuff.  Or maybe that next zone will be the one.   Then I lose interest.  (But never HATE on those that still love it - thats wrong in my opinion).  Then I begin to dislike the game and question why I liked it to begin with.  Have an internal fight with myself over if I should uninstall.

By this time a new MMO is on my radar.  Rinse. Repeat.

^^ im the same way. Now im thinking whatever Blizzard is working on for thier next mmorpg will the the only hope for me.

There might be new mmorpg's coming out but they're not very new at all. I'm not even sure how a new one would even be made. Is there any "new" to be had in mmorpgs?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by eggy08

PvP is all this game has to offer, look at the fact this game CLEARLY focuses around WvWvW and sPvP so much. Can't you see it... I must be blind, bec I clealy can't. Just me on this or what?

I love it when they use words like clearly and then put them in all caps.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by eggy08

I love it when they use words like clearly and then put them in all caps.

Thats my attempt at sarcasm. Bec apparently my sarcastic tone is not seen enough by the community. I dont know how to make it more sarcastic. I'm lost at thoughts, please help me. Italics just looks fancy, Caps looks like yelling, Idk anymore, I give up.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I have a bad habit that is difficult for me to kick.  I start a new MMO.  In the beginning I LOVE it.  A new world.  You get that "Im getting stronger" feeling as you level quickly in the beginning.  Begin to try out new gameplay styles, etc.  I then tell my other gaming friends they have to play this game! 

Then I get to around level 30 or so and the fun isnt there like it used to be.  Leveling is slower (though thats a plus in my book as I love to level slow), the gameplay become transparent and I begin to see the underlying mechanic.  Oh, I have to kill 10 of THESE now.  Or oh, another 'new' hub doing the same thing.  Then it starts to feel like a chore.  I HAVE to login because I loved this game at one point, and if I can just make it to max level I can do cool stuff.  Or maybe that next zone will be the one.   Then I lose interest.  (But never HATE on those that still love it - thats wrong in my opinion).  Then I begin to dislike the game and question why I liked it to begin with.  Have an internal fight with myself over if I should uninstall.

I've played a few betas across different MMOs.  But I dont know why but GW2 feels different.  Maybe its the combat?  Maybe its the DEs?  Maybe because its brand new (most MMOs I've been playing are older). But I have a different feeling about this game then I did about all the others.

Will GW2 be the game that allows me to cross the inevitable 'Level 30' mid-game crisis?

Only time will tell.  How about you?

Let me know your thoughts...

I am Gamer. Play. Forever.

I suggest you mix it up.  Explore, explore and explore some more.  There are so many nooks, crannys and hidden places to visit in GW2 it will literally blow your mind.  Dont concentrate on any particular thing (like leveling) it causes burnout.  If theres any glipse of hope I can give anyone is to see what the world offers and dont let a particular playstyle bind you to one activity.  Its the main reason why I played Asherons Call on and off for over 14 years now and have yet to hit max level.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I also tend to have a very similar experience to the original poster. It happened with The Secret World, SWTOR, Rift. Those are the three most recent I can think of. I always like them a lot at first thinking "Oh wow this is so cool" then I get about halfway to cap and I can't even bring myself to play them. And it's not because I play them too much (i have a busy schedule). 
  • KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

Have to agree with Aerowyn here.  The problem with your arugment is you make a grand assumption of what 'people' will think/do as opposed to restricting it just to yourself.   Thus, I would agree that you may feel the game is easy and not amazing to you.  As for everyone else let's just see if they respond here or better yet see what they do.

In either case, we all should agree (and know at this point) that GW2 won't be for everyone - but we all should also admit that it is a different way to present an MMORPG that is refreshing.  How long it lasts doesn't really matter to me as long as the journey in itself is fun and entertaining.

here here, but I'm in this one for the long haul.

My last MMO which I was in for nearly 3 years was Stat Trek Online which a LOT of folks hated. I actually liked it, then I played GW2 in BWE2. I haven't looked back since.

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Pretty simple, you don t want to die. When dieing is meaningless, it makes a game easy. Not sure why you can t see that.

guess we just have a diffen't idea of what makes a game easy.. if I can't beat an encounter because the encounter is really difficult don't see why it would matter what sort of penalty i got for dying.. hard fights are hard fights

Fair enough, hard encounters don t make a game hard to me because you ll eventually beat it. Harsh death penalty is always there and unbeatable. I loved the level down from FFXI death. What it bolils down to is all games nowadays are too easy, and I miss the old days, of everything being a challenge. I guess maybe I don t like the direction MMOs are going, and without WvW in GW2 I find it not the game everyone was talking about. I can see people liking it, but these easy mode MMOs nowadays are really starting to annoy me. Back in the day people wouldn t ask how long will you play an MMO, but now it s a month or 2 of fun. That isn t a long lasting appeal, and I m afraid, I think GW2 is going to be the same for many people, note I didn t say all.

guess we will have to agree to disagree.. feel more people just want to enjoy their games and have a good time.. I have not really met many that feel harsh penalties = fun in most cases. If that was the case think perma death type games would be more popular

Perma death, nope. Hard, where I have to think, worry about my surroundings, make smart decisions, or make smarter decisions next time is what I meant. I Know theres alot of people that like GW2 I m not denying it, but I also know theres alot of people who blow through content, and say "I m bored " faster then most people hit 20% of a games content. This is why I say alot will be bored.

Gw2 will have a huge pop, we know that, but I m not convinced games like GW2, which I think is easy compared to what I like, and opinion, and not lieing, are not the only answer to MMOs..

I think harsh penalties are more related to the time when they existed (and more so to programming limitations) than it was a 'feature'  Cant speak for the early MMOs but can speak to early consoles which instituted the same concept.  When we started back in the 80s they (developers) expected you to complete an 8 hour game in ONE go.  You got 3 lives and thats it!  No continues. No saves.  You lost all your lives, at the last level on the last boss (after going through like 3 mini-bosses). Sorry. Start all over.  Megaman comes to mind.  Was that a challenge?  Yes.  Is it something I would want to permeate today?  No. I agree it brings 'realism' to a game, but I dont play a game for realism. I play games for escapism.  Going to some fantasy world to live out a role that is unrealistic.  When I want realism, I unplug and take on the challenge of real life.  And its a bitch by itself. No need for a game to duplicate it.  I respect those who like it, but agree I dont see them as mainstream.   

In terms of people who blow through content, that action in and of itself proves they are not enjoying it.  Not knocking the approach, but for me I dont see the point to rush through something I love or couldnt wait to play/see/do only to complain that it was too short or they are bored.  You reap what you sew. But you cant blame that entirely on the developer.  And I would have to imagine when 'blowing' through content they actual MISS certain hidden items by the mere fact they are focus getting to the end.  My suggestion?  Switch your focus.

As the OP my thread wasn't meant to insinuate that GW2 would be the ONE game.  That's impratical.  My thread was more to say would GW2 be the one (of many) games that I stick with past level 30.  No other MMO has kept me captivated to this point and I put some of that onus on the fact that the ones I have tried are older (antiquated) games.  The one common theme though is the approach all of these older MMOs is the same, and GW2 does switch it up enough to be different, be remains comfortable enough that it is still a MMO.

I plan to put GW2 to the test and will be the first to let you know if I can pass my mid-game crisis.  And that to me is a greater achievement over the debate if the game is easy or hard (which is subjective anyway).

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

In the last 6 years, Ive played 50+ mmo's.

Ive never been max lvl(even in gw1). I always get to a certain point and start to get bored as hell with it. It just feels like I am doing the same thing over and over again. I am hoping Gw2 and Ps2 can keep me happy for a couple of years. Because I am tired of jumping around MMOs, I want a good mmofps and a good mmorpg and be able to stay there.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70
    i have MMo jumped so many times in the last few years that i'm going to try and stick to Gw2  if i like it or not, i'll do my best to like it. getting tired of jumping :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I'm hoping it will be my "one" but no one knows not even me.  I thought TSW was amazing (level up still is) but it couldn't keep me engaged past the first month.  I thought Rift was the sencond coming (turned out it wasn't).  Thought SWTOR leveling up was fun (it was) but it didn't last me 2 months.  So I have hit a crossroads either A) I am burned out on WoW modeled endgames or B) Im out growing MMO's and gaming in general.  I pray to god I hope it isn't B.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ok, maybe it s hard, but how many people will care if they can get competitive gear anyways. If gear doesn t really matter as the rabid fans keep saying, why bother aquiring this gear thats so hard to get, when you can be competitive without it.

That was the laziest thing I heard. I play MMOs because they are challenging and I like to beat hard stuff, not to be "competetive". That is the same reason I play any game.

How long I play a game is more relevant to how hard it is than to how much gear I must grind. Of course you can get too much of a good thing as well.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cadaml

^^ im the same way. Now im thinking whatever Blizzard is working on for thier next mmorpg will the the only hope for me.

There might be new mmorpg's coming out but they're not very new at all. I'm not even sure how a new one would even be made. Is there any "new" to be had in mmorpgs?

Of course there are "new" to be had. If you are hoping for completely unheard MMO mechanics you should keep your eyes out for Class 4 and world of darkness online.

But GW2 is different enough to be really fun without feeling like you already played it for years after a day (like Rift sadly did for me) so I plan to spend quite some time in it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Understand that Guildwars 2 has a long road ahead, its releasing tomorow (less then 24 hours)

Then their journey begins to keep us entertained.

After launch its time to fix minor stuff.

A new project for their 1st expansion.

Guildwars 2 is polished, feels complete, looks beatifull, extremely responsive UI, even more then WoW <-----yeah i said it, dint think it was posible but Arenetnet beat WoW on responsive gameplay.
    The world feel alive, evrywhere i go there is something to do.

No matter what direction i move i can join something that keeps me busy.

Who can tell the diffrence between getting more powerfull or only cosmetic ? it doesnt matter anymore its skill based.

Oh dear no open world pvp......Who needs to be ganked when picking flowers ? if i want to prove myself i join Spvp or WvW.

My 2008/2009 system shows epic scenery's as if i have a 2012 system....bizare and i dint expect it, but people with a 2012 system do get rewarded for their investment.
    The game looks even more bizare and they will have 40 FPS when 300 people with bloodlust up are in screen... to epic to be true but the game is optimized 90%.

Leveling....i dont even notice it, normaly i want to hit max level asap, it dint even bother me i was level 8 the game made sure that my envirement made me feel i was doing something usefull, not gather then chickens and bring them to weirdo.
    I felt my combat was good, i cooperate with people and we shared a common goal, i dint feel like stealing their kills.

last night 1 hour test we had around 60 people gaurding an NPC, 60 chars running rampage working as 1 unit.
    It felt epic and i was only level 3......

Lets talk about wow, my most epic memory's are going bacl to 2004/2005 Tarren Mill, i was there.
    Hundres of horde and alliance dukking it out in Southshore....and for what ? not for gear, not for honor points, but for fun, faction pride.

19:00 hours raid time, gathering for Molten Core / Blackwing Lair,.....Faction duking it out infront of the raid entrance's trying to mess up the other factions pve raids.
    massive battles for nothing....but fun and faction pride.

Notice the trend here ^ No reward <------ Epic fun <----- Faction Pride <-----
    ^Guildwars 2 no reward <---- Cosmetic only <------- Epic fun <----- Server Pride <----

I have a feeling Guildwars 2 will blow away any mmo within 1 year.
    MoP is no contest for Arenanet, the only people playing wow a year from now are the most hardcore raiders and hardcore fans.

I have never ever had this much fun since WoW 2004/2005, and thats says something from a pesimistic person like me who is extremely demanding and critical in real life.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

I've played a few betas across different MMOs.  But I dont know why but GW2 feels different.  Maybe its the combat?  Maybe its the DEs?  Maybe because its brand new (most MMOs I've been playing are older). But I have a different feeling about this game then I did about all the others.

Will GW2 be the game that allows me to cross the inevitable 'Level 30' mid-game crisis?

Only time will tell.  How about you?

Let me know your thoughts...

I am Gamer. Play. Forever.

well in order to avoid situations like this i avoid themepart MMOs with sub ...

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Like the thread about capturing that feeling of the first mmo, this is a personall thiong. Many didn't have your problem with other mmorpgs like Rift, TOR, TERA, TSW and found them to be the ones for them.

Many you'll find GW2 to be the mmo you seek, maybe you won't. If you're already going to play the game, nothing to lose.

The only advice i can give is to not get your hopes up. I say this because if you place all your chances on it, it will result in huge disappointment later on. This is where playing most of the game over a longer period of time comes into play.

So, play it, enjoy it, like you already do, and if it turns out this is the "one" you wanted, congrats. If not, no big deal.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I doubt it.  It's still an MMO
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Leucent Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Leucent Originally posted by Eir_S Originally posted by Leucent Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Leucent Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Leucent Nope, it is the one for a back up game when I m bored with my other MMO. It really isn t close to as good as rabid fansare saying, well in my opinion anyways. I guess I take that back, everyone has differing opinions, so I can see it being the 1 for some, but it s just not enopugh for me. Going back to lower level zones, crafting, WvW, sPvP, exploration, etc etc, alot of this game takes no time to get things, can t see why at 80 it miraculously will take time to get things. Gear is way too easy to come by, cosmetic or not, people will just get bored. I know alot will attack me for that, but we ll see in 1-2 months from now.
    and you know this how?
    The game is easy all around, I can t imagine it being hard to get anything. Besides, why is it that GW2 doesn t have a gear grind according to fans, then people say I have nothing to do at end game, and miraculously it has some sort of progression(grind). It s a decent game, but not amazing.
    you haven't played GW1 i assume and don't know much about the company it seems,.
    Played GW1 for a long time. Knowing the company means nothing. I ve played the game (GW2) enough to know, alot of people will get bored fast. Hell I know alot of MMOers that couldn t wait for GW2, but they hype machine killed it for them. TYhey logged in and said" really this is that great game people are talking about" Beleive it or not, people have differing opinions.
    Differing opinions are cool, but it's a fact that not everything will be easy to get in the game.  Take for instance, every armor set earned from dungeons, and this is some of the most high-end gear in the game.  A lot of the ANet guys can't even beat these dungeons... what makes you think they'll be easy?  IE: They won't be.  Whether or not people get bored will be completely separate from whether everything is "easy" to get because from all accounts, Explorable dungeons will make you eat those words.
    Ok, maybe it s hard, but how many people will care if they can get competitive gear anyways. If gear doesn t really matter as the rabid fans keep saying, why bother aquiring this gear thats so hard to get, when you can be competitive without it.
    fine if you don't care for the game or don't think it's long term one for you but you are spreading false information when you say this game has no long term progression and is "easy".
    It doesn t have long term progresion, oh wait it does, oh a gear grind, got it. Easy is subjective, and let me say this, it s easy as hell. Nothing in it is hard, especially when death penalty is so meaningless it s not even funny. If I m spreading false information, maybe every rabid fan should have thought of that when they said theres no grind in the game, when according to you there is. As I said as well, saying it s easy isn t miss informative at all, it s one of the easiest games, with no consequences to really speak of. So no it s not miss information when I say it s easy, when in my OPINION it is.  
    that's not an opinion is a straight out lie.. so why are you even posting here?
    Nope frome what I ve experienced, nothing is hard. Maybe later I ll find some, but the game has no real consequences, so it is opinion. You can argue it all day, but from what I ve experienced, it s not hard.

And how many did you expirience ?

You played trough the game already ?
    Did all the Dynamic Events already ?
    Played all the Meta Dynamic Events already ?
    Cleared all Dungeons in all modes ?

Woah dude you must be awesome if you did that in just a few days of playing, i mean 99% dint even completed 1 map 100% and you did all the zones and dungeons ^^
    Athene on steroids you are yoda thinks ?

just want you to know your just another scrub hater...
    Dont play GW2 pls, while we play the best mmo that ever seen the light to this day.
    You already made up your mind, now go play some death mmo or soon to be death mmo and talk there with your GW2 hating friends how bad GW2 is and shit like that, we dont care about you or your hate :)
    Meantime we will be having TONS and TONS of fun.

Woot 20 hours left <3 !!!

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Well, once again, this is where GW2's B2P model comes in handy.It's not just MMORPGs, it's partly the audience.  We've seen it all before, we've played all sorts of games, MMORPGs just get old faster.Instead o fhaving to uninstall it though, you can take a break, play something else for a week or so, then come back to GW2 when you feel like it.Great for meeting up with friends, or realizing you have a new goal, or just seeing what new patches there are.Different sort of people are different ways, but for me, not having a subscription means I'm much more willing to come back to a game repeatedly.

Well said. I will play this game for years, because it's not a sub!
  • ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106
    I will always hop MMO's (and also other games) and don't mind it. After a while every game gets boring, some just last a bit longer than others. It's good to have so much choice between games though, that keeps me playing.
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Lyvins
    i have MMo jumped so many times in the last few years that i'm going to try and stick to Gw2  if i like it or not, i'll do my best to like it. getting tired of jumping :)

Forcing yourself to like a game is a bad idea.