Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if Blizzard ran SWG ?

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by admriker444
    this is so laughable.....
    combat medics specials totally broken now. My jedi will love the break from pvp now.
    I dont recall any patches WoW did that broke something else really bad like this. This right there should end the debate once and for all. While we debate the merits of SOE (or lack of them), they release yet ANOTHER broken patch lol.
    Thank you SOE for proving me right once again.

No patches from Blizzard that broke something this bad?
    How bout the one that killed every player under 50 if they went to town? The disease outbreak?
    Oh wait... that's right.. that's not a bug.. it's a feature. Only that feature is worse... it didn't break 1 class... it killed every character under level 40 who went into town. Worse... they'd get into death loops.

How quickly we forget.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

No.. the plague was funny, and only slightly inconvient. I don't think it was planned, but it was hardly a problem since there's a negligable death penalty.

It could have been planned... great idea for content.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Shayde

No.. the plague was funny, and only slightly inconvient. I don't think it was planned, but it was hardly a problem since there's a negligable death penalty.

Done in EQ2, EQ, AC, AO, and a ton of other MMOs. So not a great idea. Its been done. Try being more original.

Kai

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Done in EQ2, EQ, AC, AO, and a ton of other MMOs. So not a great idea. Its been done. Try being more original.
    Kai

Still funny as hell...

/prays for midichlorian plague

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If Blizzard ran SWG, everything in SWG would work and you could be a Jedi in two weeks.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Originally posted by Elnator
    No patches from Blizzard that broke something this bad?
    How bout the one that killed every player under 50 if they went to town? The disease outbreak?
    Oh wait... that's right.. that's not a bug.. it's a feature. Only that feature is worse... it didn't break 1 class... it killed every character under level 40 who went into town. Worse... they'd get into death loops.

How quickly we forget.

Kinda like SOE's take on CM poisons for over a year. ::::35::

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

And you ride MY butt for throwing out non-message-board sited facts and opinion. ::::34::

Sorry,  I am not a "butt riding" expert like you , but you only recently (yesterday) started to state when your info comes from non-official sources. Watching Kai discussing THAT with YOU in the other thread is most funny for me *** grabs popcorn and a coke ***. Up until yesterday you just shot your rumours into web space as facts and holy script and fell silent when asked to name names or post links.

Its ok to have heard a rumour and say so. But DO say so. Then everyone can judge for her/himself how much one believes that rumour.

Have fun

Erillion

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

How hypocritical.  So its ok to have one game that has a game breaking bug, especially for lower levels but others can't have a bug that may require the player to workaround.

Originally posted by admriker444

this is so laughable.....
    http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=combat_medic&message.id=60114
    combat medics specials totally broken now. My jedi will love the break from pvp now.
    I dont recall any patches WoW did that broke something else really bad like this. This right there should end the debate once and for all. While we debate the merits of SOE (or lack of them), they release yet ANOTHER broken patch lol.
    Thank you SOE for proving me right once again.

BTW, you missed out the information that this was a bug with the last hotfix and that the devs are working on a fix.

As for a patch that broke something as bad, how about "The Honour System" without "Battlegrounds".  WoW was completely unplayable from level 20-50 because of the gankfest it introduced on PvP servers.   All ports were camped by level 60s, they were on the boats, at the griffins, they were at graveyards.  BB was a joke, with the poor mob AI being exploited to ensure kills.  Even entrances to instances camped.  WoW's forums were ablaze with complaints and people leaving.  What was Blizzard's response?  "Live with it".  Blizzard are very arrogant and narrow sighted.  Probably complacency due to their numbers. 

I was playing during that phase and I don't know a single person who didn't seriously consider quiting.  Some moved to PvE servers, some played less, some played and grumbled, others left.

So far every mistake I see SoE do it affects one or at most a couple of profession.  In WoW it tends to be the entire playerbase.

Originally posted by grapevine
    As for a patch that broke something as bad, how about "The Honour System" without "Battlegrounds". WoW was completely unplayable from level 20-50 because of the gankfest it introduced on PvP servers. All ports were camped by level 60s, they were on the boats, at the griffins, they were at graveyards ... bleh bleh bleh

LOl, that's a wee bit over the top there. Since day 1 I've played on Azgalor, a heavy populated server, in a guild that's so hated by the horde as to cause fits, and never once encountered what you've described above. Oddly I made a few alts during 'unplayable' time you've described above.

Don't forget SOE's take on CMs or Jedi, which completely borked PvP for well over a year. Or, those awesome base exploits.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

Originally posted by IcoGames

Originally posted by grapevine
    As for a patch that broke something as bad, how about "The Honour System" without "Battlegrounds". WoW was completely unplayable from level 20-50 because of the gankfest it introduced on PvP servers. All ports were camped by level 60s, they were on the boats, at the griffins, they were at graveyards ... bleh bleh bleh

LOl, that's a wee bit over the top there. Since day 1 I've played on Azgalor, a heavy populated server, in a guild that's so hated by the horde as to cause fits, and never once encountered what you've described above. Oddly I made a few alts during 'unplayable' time you've described above.

Don't forget SOE's take on CMs or Jedi, which completely borked PvP for well over a year. Or, those awesome base exploits.

That's certainly how it was on the server I played on Skullcrusher (EU) and I know it wasn't an isolated case, so it wasn't OTT.

From your very server, only posted today....http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-realm-azgalor&t=156267&p=1&tmp=1#post156267...and after Battlefiedls.  Pre those and especially when the honour system was the "new toy", it was a complete nightmare on PvP servers.  If you weren't at a level that was pre-contested areas or a high level you struggled for XP, simply due to the amount of corpse runs you'd do.  That was mostly because the gankers didn't have a clue how it worked or were just being out and out jerks.

Yes, pre CU SWG's PvP was borked. However, that has little to do with the claims of Blizzard not introducing problems.  I actually really enjoyed my time in WoW and that its a great game.  Just some posters are painting a picture that its near flawless, which is defiintly not the case.

Lol, the 'nightmare' lasted for maybe a week on Azgalor after the HS hit.

I think my alt druid was questing in STV during that time. It was tough, but somehow the little trooper bucked up and made it through. /tear

As for the thread you posted, I'm sure the OP ganked someone and got smacked by their lvl 60 alts. It's common practice to park your lvl 60 in the zone your questing in. ^_^

Ico

Lol, the 'nightmare' lasted for maybe a week on Azgalor after the HS hit.
    I think my alt druid was questing in STV during that time. It was tough, but somehow the little trooper bucked up and made it through. /tear
    As for the thread you posted, I'm sure the OP ganked someone and got smacked by their lvl 60 alts. It's common practice to park your lvl 60 in the zone your questing in. ^_^

Didn't you read beyond he was looking for low level PvP?  Not only does he (and other's within further posts) state ganking is an issue everywhere but the very next post tells him to ignore all the content, except for instances until he levels.  That's was the exact same recommendation that was being made months ago and still indicates that if you are at the wrong level you struggle to gain XP at an acceptable rate.  Also posts like his aren't uncommon.

You are missing the point still.  The newness of the honour system lasted for more than a week, but anyhow this was in reply to a comment about CM specials being recently broken (which a fix is being worked on) and how Bizzard havn't affected their game in such a bad way.  So out of the two scenarios which would you define as more gamebreaking (for a moment in time)?  One that affects a profession or one that affect the majroity of the players? It was WoW's honour system.

You said WoW was completely unplayable when the Honor System was released. That's a complete misconception. As I stated above, my alt druid was questing in STV. Of all places, you'd think STV would have been one of the more affected areas.

Again, it's completely wrong to assume that you won't gain xp at an acceptable rate. Like SWG, gaining levels in WoW isn't that difficult. As stated, the OP was out looking for low level pvp, not out questing/grinding.

I'm not debating whether the Honor System had a more endemic affect soley on PvP Servers, just your characterization of it. ^_^

Ico

Fair enough.  Agreed some learned to cope with it, while others didn't.

However, while the OP stated he was out looking for low level PvP the rest of the comments (made by himself and others) were general state of the game ones.  Why otherwise recommenced just using instances for XP, if there is no issue and why he's warned by others of ganking hotspots.   You just need to casually browse the WoW forums to see this issue coming up again and again.  I'm not claiming that its still game breaking, just that its a remnant of what occurred with the initial launch of the honour system.

That type of PvP has nothing to do with the Honor System. nor was it started when the system was implemented. I'm confident few, if any, players at level 60 think they're getting CP for killing low levels like that.

I'd argue that the implementation of the Honor System didn't brake the game at all. Players needed to realize what it meant to be on a PvP server. IMO, it's only failure is that it didn't fascilitate larger, more encompassing, PvP.

Ico

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Ever noticed how PvP never really works out well in MMOs? Sure there are differing methods of PvP in the many MMOs we have access to  but they never seem to really get pvp right. (im talkin main stream western ones here incase theres some obscure korean one that  does it well)

The lowest pop servers in DAoC are pvp as are the eq ones. WoW has busy  PvP servers but theyre filled with infantile players in the main. The honour system and the  battlegrounds are a pathetic joke tbh. If i wanted to play capture the (single) flag id playe something like Battlefield etc which does the job much better.

Far as i see it ,its just another system that rewards no lifers and bums for playing .

Originally posted by Darktongue
    The lowest pop servers in DAoC are pvp as are the eq ones. WoW has busy PvP servers but theyre filled with infantile players in the main. The honour system and the battlegrounds are a pathetic joke tbh. If i wanted to play capture the (single) flag id playe something like Battlefield etc which does the job much better.

Far as i see it ,its just another system that rewards no lifers and bums for playing .

Lol, and you're the one calling folks infantile. GJ ::::28::

Ico

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Open PvP was designed that way in WoW. For those who couldnt handle open PvP - you have PvE and RP servers. Im one of those people who couldnt handle open PvP, just annoying to get ganked, so i left level 47 rogue and several 30+ toons behind, but oncfe again, it was NOT a bug, it was design. If you dont like that design, dont play there.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

The lowest pop servers in DAoC are pvp as are the eq ones. WoW has busy PvP servers but theyre filled with infantile players in the main. The honour system and the battlegrounds are a pathetic joke tbh. If i wanted to play capture the (single) flag id playe something like Battlefield etc which does the job much better.

Lol, and you're the one calling folks infantile. GJ ::::28::

How is stating the fact that systems like this are for folk with no life and for bums? I fail to see how thats not true. People with  nothing better to do than site 23 hours a day playing and farming HK in battlegrounds with their alliance friends(via TS) are pretty much bums are they not?

Or were you saying it was infantile of me to not want to play a CTF game inside a MMO ?

Please think before you hit reply  eh :)

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

getting back on track...

there's a big difference between gameplay issues and a busted one. So Grapevine you may not like the ganking issues, thats something gameplay wise you dont care for. Its still working as intended and not busted. Dont like it, play on a rp server or non-pvp.

ON SWG, there is no choice to avoid a busted issue like the cm one. Try another server and guess what, CM is still busted. Big difference there.

And this is just one example. SOE breaks something major every single patch. Roughly 1-2 times a month they bust something badly. They then attempt to fix it and the following happens...

it does nothing, still broken. It breaks something else. It gets fixed, but gets rebroke with next patch. It never gets fixed and forgotten in the list of other numerous bugs. it gets sorta ficed but not the same as before. And finally, it actually gets fixed which rarely happens.

Another example, publish 18 completely busted bio clothing crafting. A large part of the community wears bio clothes as their armor (crafters, tkm, etc) It took 6 weeks for SOE to attempt to fix it. The first hotfix did nothing. Another week goes by and they finally fixed it (with no announcment). Tailors had to waste resources constantly until it was discovered to be fixed. 7 total weeks of a busted system that was devastating for tailors and those who relied on them.

Droid armor - broken around 17 i think it was. take out a new droid for first time and armor rating properly displays 7k stats. Store it, take it back out and bam armor is reduced to 1217. It never goes back to 7k where it belongs. To a profession already in seriously bad shape, this a nail in the coffin. Combat droids are weak enough, but to reduce their armor that much makes them almost pointless. And whats worse is SOE wont even state "being looked at"  "being worked on"  "we recognize an issue"   NADA.

lightsabers - modified speed from pearls, skill tapes, your skill boxes, etc dont work. Sure it shows up in stats but extensive testing reveals its not actually working. 4 months and SOE finally acknowledges it but states no ETA on a fix. Guess another yr or two and maybe those 75 million credits worth of skill tapes might benefit me.

Loot - Loot tables were completely borked after the CU launched. SOE goes and makes the situation even worse by "fixing" loot drops for BH marks only. So now everyone is grinding to BH so they can get access to the only decent loot in the game. Tiggs states loot is working as intended image

There is simply no comparison. SOE is a total joke and SWG is in bad shape. Lucky for them the market is full of bad mmorpgs and the title is star wars. Or this game would have long died

• claithclaith Member Posts: 86
    LMAO,all blizzard can make are cartoons,think thier lining somthing up with Disney channel,lmao

How is stating the fact that systems like this are for folk with no life and for bums? I fail to see how thats not true. People with nothing better to do than site 23 hours a day playing and farming HK in battlegrounds with their alliance friends(via TS) are pretty much bums are they not?
    Or were you saying it was infantile of me to not want to play a CTF game inside a MMO ?

Please think before you hit reply eh :)

Lol, keep up the good work there. ^_^

Ico

• snryygyaigsnryygyaig Member Posts: 1

What you announce is very good, very goodimage

I am a hard-working person, liking your game, with technology.The Chinese technique fell behind too

• blakheart666blakheart666 Member Posts: 47

What would Blizzard do if they get ahold of SWG is redesign completely the game.  I played SWG for one month and a half and i gotta tell ya is the worst MMO i have ever played in my life.  The skill system is cool but still the game sucks. But well is a Lucasarts game they always make crappy games but they are some that are great but allot that are  bad like SWG.