Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Melee vs Spellcaster, which do you prefer?

On AC I liked the up and close action of Melee.  Being a Tank kinda made me feel "big n' mighty"- lol.  But Gosh Darnit!!!  (<--edited for your protection)  Those darn spellcasters pwned PvP.  Question is, which do you guys prefer?

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

Comments

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

melee i guess, but the stealthy melee, like scout/rogue/infiltrator.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

meelee's r aweomse

btw, how do u say it?image

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467
    mAy-lAy

• SleepyhollowSleepyhollow Member Posts: 19
    I'm a caster type person, but not like wizzies or stuff. I like to have other people in my groups or to summon "friends"... but in AC2 I liked being an archer.

I like to think; falling into my thoughts, swim in my troubles, dance in my loves, hug my goals, and chase my past. Lost in thought, digging my way out, clawing at the twists, finally free of my cobwebs.

I like to think; falling into my thoughts, swim in my troubles, dance in my loves, hug my goals, and chase my past. Lost in thought, digging my way out, clawing at the twists, finally free of my cobwebs.

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

Very tough question. The wide range of things a caster can do is great but I hate being a wimp. Tank classes are good as long as there are things for you to worry about. DAoC styles are pretty good about this.

Since I hate the wimpness factor of casters I tend to go for ones that can have a pet. One of my favorite classes in DAoC was the light enchanter. Having the pet allowed me to take risks and fight BAF mobs.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Melee for sure. Although i dont mind the hybrids sometimes.

• FalcanFalcan Member Posts: 36
    I like spell casters, but mainly since you forgot about archers.  Otherwise i like archers so i can attack from afar and snipe things to death.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I've never really played a melee character just for the fact they are to easy and mindless to level... all you do is pound things,  level, get bigger armor, bigger weapons.

I like to have to somewhat think with a spellcaster,  or healer.  I'm always playing the classes no one likes and then making them uber...  like in Shadowbane I was a bard that could twist like mad....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Have to say melee/rogue like char.

I found both EQ rogue and DAoC assasin to be exciting classes.

EQ rogue you get to crawl thru very dangerous mobs  hiding with your heart pounding to retrieve bodies or do quest.

You also get to do good damage and steal!!!

DAoC stealth is also good trying to crawl thru and get that crit hit on a caster.

It is a class filled with a lot of adrenaline.

Originally posted by Falcan
    I like spell casters, but mainly since you forgot about archers.  Otherwise i like archers so i can attack from afar and snipe things to death.

I didn't forget about Archers, I'm just not interested in them.  To me, Archers are deadly cowards.  What I mean is that, yes, they kill very swiftly- but they usually are kill stealing or attacking-running off....comming back and attacking again (ther's a name for this in SWG- I just can't remember it).  It's funny, in alot of the FPS games I play- I love sniping; but in mmorpgs it just str8 seems so cheap to me. image 

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127

I would take a melee over anything else anyday.

But, it pisses me off when archers and mages come and attack the same thing your attacking cuz they can't tank for crap.  They don't ask or anything, just start attacking it and run when they get attacked. 

But in AC, my favorite is my trade skill mule with a kickass name (Food and Oil for sale @ thistledown)  :)

lvl 97 complete trade skill with nothing to attack with except 121 ua :)    (lvl'ed off vassals)  but I never accomplished my goal of being one of the best :(  

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

iF A MAGE COULD TANK,  WOULDN'T YOU THINK EVERYONE WOULD WANT TO BE ONE?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347

I am definietly all about the Melee classes. I find that out every time I log on to EQ I have a pretty powerful warrior and I play him over my Druid almost all the time lately. I guess for me the only time I like to play a caster is if I am alone or maybe with one other friend. I find that there is too much responsibilty for casters sometimes. I like to sit there and kill shit without having to worry if something is rooted or heal someone. I will tend to hack through stuff like a buzzsaw whilst directing traffic. Dont get me wrong its not like I dont like to get involved, anyone that has grouped with me will say that Im like a general but on the front line. I just like to bark orders while tearing stuff up!!

Someone had mentioned archers. I would however LOVE to have a legitimate archer class. As for EQ the archery aspect seems to only be good for pulling or messing around. I wish a game could really give archers their due. Not sure how though, would almost have to make them as powerful as some casters or something. Dunno though.

Shots out!

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I'd wanna be a Melee/spell caster. Individually they eventually get kinda boring but both would be awesome. If I could choose only one it would would probably be melee, depends what game we're dealing with, some games have awesome spell effects for wizards.

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

I think alot of mmorpgs make it pretty difficult to be a successfull spellcaster/melee char (as it should be).  A character with the offensive power of a mage and the defensive power of a melee would be too freakin' uber-lol. 

Now I know some peeps have tried and will argue it can be done, but still I think (for example) a lvl 60 mage/melee fighting  a lvl 60 PURE mage or PURE melee will get his arse kicked. 

The best successful Hybrids that I've seen have been like Archer/unarmed- by the time whatever gets close enough to actually attack this char, it would be so low in HP that the unarmed skill would be able to finish he/she/it off.  I'm sure there are other successful hybrids out there as well- but not mage/melee.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

EQ had good ideas for hybrid caster/fighters in paladins,rangers and shadowknights.

And if you were lucky to play the game in first 1 year you would have loved them.

They gained experience 25 percent slower then others and took a 25 percent death penalty.

In EQ terms you can understand this made them a very hard class to play.

Plus SK were hated in a lot of places so made them even harder to manuovere with.

But the Shadowknight was the best tank you can get and the paladin was next.

But there was jealousy and a guild that seems to know a lot of the developers (CoF or something can't remember) screamed and got them nerfed.

Intrestingly enough the guild leader was a warrior LOL.

That is a nice mix of both worlds  and would love to see those classes redone in EQ but this time with no more nerfing