Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RYL: Path of the Emperor: MMORPG.com Review

Steve Wilson has checked in with his critical review of Risk Your Life. In one of the most scathing reviews we've ever published, Steve scores the game 4.3 out of a possible 10.

image “Play To Win $1 Million Dollars.” The posters and box art for R.Y.L Path of the Emperor scream this out boldly. It is an interesting hook in the increasingly crowded massively multiplayer role-playing market. What is more, if an MMO has to use an out of game hook to entice players chances are there is not much in the game itself. RYL lives up, or more aptly down, to that expectation. And then they canceled the tournament.

The installation and initial patch went smoothly taking about an hour total on a DSL line. I used this time to read the impressive looking 130-page manual. Ten pages of the manual are devoted to world history. The confusing story that sets the stage for the game boils down to two races, the Humans and the hulking Ak’Kan, competing for resources in a new land. Between these warring factions the oddly named “God’s Pirates” made up of both races tries to broker a neutral peace, with no qualms about killing the other factions in the process. Although complex and convoluted, it is no more innovative than a thousand trite anime flicks. None of the back-story will make a lick of difference in the game however as there is almost nothing in the game itself to remind players of the overly detailed history. One thing that struck me as strange about the manual was the size of the type chosen, almost as if written for a very young audience.

Click here to read his full review.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Spot on Review.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Spot on Review.

Quoted for truth.

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Heh, this is probably the first review where I felt you guys couldn't have been any more right :P.

• -FN--FN- Member Posts: 65

And it's too bad - that review is 100% true...

But PWG is at the mercy of their game developer Youixiland - so the game's suckage is not PWG's fault entirely.

RYL was immensely better, gameplay-wise, before it was "Path of the Emperor"... thankfully their restructuring the game BACK to that setup soon...

http://forums.ryl.net/viewtopic.php?t=27350

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Yeah they are taking steps backwards instead of forward by removing GP nation. When all they had to do to stop people from exlpoiting was to remove nation switching. If they made it so once you choose a nation that was it they wouldn't of needed to remove GP. This was the reason why i quit this game and others also. For the record the only reason i played this game as long as I did was because of my guild, but when they removed GP that split my guild and I had no desire to fight people I have played and lvled with for so long.

This review is right on the money and anyone who reads this review and thinks it isn't is living in a fog.

imageimage

• .Vicious..Vicious. Member Posts: 8

Once again a reviewer who appears to have spent all of two hours playing the game....great! Not trying to say it doesnt have its faults but good god man you act like it is the worst fricken game you have ever played. I cant believe a reviewer can be so wrong about things and pass false information... You make yourself sound really incompitent when you dont even know the mechanics of the game. PVP and fame is not on a duel basis, which is what you inferred. Not true at all, you can duel if you want but pvp is not about duels and has absolutely nothing to do with fame. Please dont review a game especially one that takes at least 3-4 weeks of playing to fully get down. Now with this being said, I would like to say that there are some flaws and some points of your review were "ON THE SPOT". things you "SHOULD" be allowed to comment on with your lack of knowledge is graphics, sound and anything you could do up to about level 20, which is a rough estimate of what level you might have made it too. Other than that dont comment and research a little better. By all means dont come back and say its not worth your time to go past 20 because the majority of new players could make 20 in 1-2 hours with a little guidance. There are some problems such as the memory leak, and there are some baron areas..but all in all this game is fun as hell and has a pretty good community minus your few typical asses.

ty

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by .Vicious.
    Once again a reviewer who appears to have spent all of two hours playing the game....great! Not trying to say it doesnt have its faults but good god man you act like it is the worst fricken game you have ever played. I cant believe a reviewer can be so wrong about things and pass false information... You make yourself sound really incompitent when you dont even know the mechanics of the game. PVP and fame is not on a duel basis, which is what you inferred. Not true at all, you can duel if you want but pvp is not about duels and has absolutely nothing to do with fame. Please dont review a game especially one that takes at least 3-4 weeks of playing to fully get down. Now with this being said, I would like to say that there are some flaws and some points of your review were "ON THE SPOT". things you "SHOULD" be allowed to comment on with your lack of knowledge is graphics, sound and anything you could do up to about level 20, which is a rough estimate of what level you might have made it too. Other than that dont comment and research a little better. By all means dont come back and say its not worth your time to go past 20 because the majority of new players could make 20 in 1-2 hours with a little guidance. There are some problems such as the memory leak, and there are some baron areas..but all in all this game is fun as hell and has a pretty good community minus your few typical asses.
    ty

I find his review very competent and rich in information. Persinaly, i never PvPed in RYL, so I cant confirm or deny how precise that information is, but everything else seems to be legit. This game is poor in design and implementation and used deception as a selling point to lure people to play this game. When I played this game, i saw buggs, poor community, poor game mechanics, poor everything. The only reason why i held out for a wek is becuase combat was unusual, compared to all other MMORPGs. But that quickly faded out as I kept grinding grinding grinding.. and omg, more grinding!

OP posted his opinion on this game based on his experience and solid facts. You however flamed him and gave pretty much nothing in terms of facts (except for PvP issue, can any1 verify that info?)
    Im not trying to flame you down, but plz dont flame others who had bad experience with this game and posted it here while backing it with facts.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• mikajamamamikajamama Member Posts: 8

I thought tthe review was pretty close. I played for a month or 2, and had 3 characters around lvl 60. I thought the game looked nice. I haven't played many fantasy games because it isn't really my thing, but I thought it was nice.

I think the Economy was severely broken. I had a lvl 8 character with almost 5 mil gold just from his slow Bashing of Ichman, and those little crabs. That was my first character, so I didn't know yet what to move on to.

What I found out is that there is really no point to grouping untill lvl 25 or so. Plvl on the fungus for a bit, then plvl on the Kramos. I did get tired of it though becasue all I did was grind my levels. When I got my STR warrior to 50ish I went to map 3 and banged on the Gnoll warriors, and knights. I think that was the best part of the game IMO. because every once in a while a high lvl would come by and try to whoop up on us, and we would all have to work together to win, adn keep our Fame.

Map 3 was open PVP, and I think a reviewer should have been big enough to make it there, because it was fun trying to defend and attack forts. Unfortunatly the game as a whole is just a grind, with no real interactive thought. So I lost interest, as prob did many. Also I completely agree with the whole shouting for a group thing. There would be times when it would take nearly an hour to get a group together to go hunt for what would be 10 minutes. If a support character left the group would die. If someone needed to go back to town to sell the loot the group would die. If someone leveled up past the 13 level limit the gorup would die. I had to make a macro on my keypad for the "63 STR Warrior KR LFP" because I think that is the more talked abou thing in the chat.

Also remember if you are going to play the game, make an Acher, or a Gunner, so you can Sneak up on people and kill them when they are fighting. You will be able to run faster and probably can One shot them if you charge the skill right, and then run around them so they cna't hit you.

• payn69payn69 Member Posts: 9

I played the game for 2 yrs and was a guide and GM at one point. Testing the closed betas and alphas. I can;t say much about your review that is wrong except for one thing. PvP is not a concentual thing. That is also a problem. A guild member would go out and do some grinding and all of a sudden is attacked by an enemy guild or a guild member of a diff guild who is bugged. Say that scoundrel is 20 lvlz above the poor fella.. What is he to do? Respawn and decide whether or not he should find another spot or take some more beatings. If he goes elsewhere, he has a good chance of being attacked again as there are tons of players who are bored of the grind and patrol areas looking for the easy kill. I can't say all are like that, in fact the community has a few really upstanding players. I knew many of them personally! Needless to say, you can't fault PwG for this new version of RYL (I, like the many vets, liked RYL1), it was crammed down their throats by Youxiland as was stated in another post prior to this one. But I will say one thing, they will move on as there are some projects PwG has in the works that will enable them to make all the decisions on what they offer the paying customer. In my eyes POTE was an experiment for them, I'm sure there were promises made to them by Youxi and Youxi's dev's never panned out what was offered, or they were duped.

All I can say is PwG will learn and learn hard from this and will put out a better product next time. I feel they should dump POTE soon, open up RYL1 for the real hardcore RYL fanatics, until they release their new product. The longer they stick with POTE, the worse it is for their name!

• spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54

Steve Wilson, "For a game that bills itself so solidly PvP it seems strange that all combat must be consensual. PvP combat generates fame which is the device used to determine the final winner of the game. If you are not interested in constantly challenging players to duels then you had no chance at the prize. Ultimately that is the only reason that anyone could have justified playing such a sub par and completely painful game. Then they took that away."

After reading the review of the game and especially the last paragraph it is clear that the reviewer has not played the game but has read about it.

The dead givaway is the last paragraph.

First, his coment about combat being consensual is entirely wrong. One of the thing that enrage players the most is the fact that they can be one-shot killed by a stealth player with no warning or chance to defend themselves.

Secondly, fame is not gained by dueling at all. No fame is won or lost in a duel.

So these statements lead me to believe the reviewer is a lier and has not played the game enough to know the basics so he is entirely unqualified to review it, and this fraudulent review should be pulled from this site.

If you want an honest unbiased review of this game contact me and I will be glad to provide a realistic review that presents both the strengths and the weaknesses of the game. Please get rid of this hogwash and get reviewers who actually play the games they review for a week or so. then they can make an honest review and not make up fairy tales like this one. I'd fire the bum if he worked for me.
    It's bad enough he didn't play but he makes stupid statements that reveal his lack of kowledge of the game to boot. I don't see how MMORPG can allow such libalous drivel on this site. PITIFUL

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Good review, except for a few points. Im not saying the game is good, but you overlooked a few things.

1) The controls ARE good if you actually know how to combine mouse and keyboard mode efficiently. If you are in keyboard mode, movement and combat are a breeze. You can move fine, attack beautifully, and just have fun. If you hold shift, or push tab, you go into a semi-mouse mode, in which you can select items, NPCs and other things you need, which is really helpful. Overall, I think RYL has an amazing control scheme, and I wish more people would use it

2) You stated that there was no way to tell creature levels. Yes, it isnt easy to tell, which I wish they would improve on, but still. If you open your minimap and click on creatures, it shows EVERY creature spawn area on the map, and their levels in relation to yours.

3) Youre review on PvP was completely biased, and probably just reflected your already distasteful look of the game. EVERYTHING you stated about PvP was absolutely false. There is an entire map of open PvP, but im sure you didnt read about that, or even get there, because you were too busy flaming.

All in all, the game is definately on the low end of the market, but you have to give them some credit for using some original combat and control mechanics. D&D Online is using a similar scheme... so there has to be some sanity to their method, ne?

Originally posted by theanimedude
    Good review, except for a few points. Im not saying the game is good, but you overlooked a few things.1) The controls ARE good if you actually know how to combine mouse and keyboard mode efficiently. If you are in keyboard mode, movement and combat are a breeze. You can move fine, attack beautifully, and just have fun. If you hold shift, or push tab, you go into a semi-mouse mode, in which you can select items, NPCs and other things you need, which is really helpful. Overall, I think RYL has an amazing control scheme, and I wish more people would use it2) You stated that there was no way to tell creature levels. Yes, it isnt easy to tell, which I wish they would improve on, but still. If you open your minimap and click on creatures, it shows EVERY creature spawn area on the map, and their levels in relation to yours.3) Youre review on PvP was completely biased, and probably just reflected your already distasteful look of the game. EVERYTHING you stated about PvP was absolutely false. There is an entire map of open PvP, but im sure you didnt read about that, or even get there, because you were too busy flaming.All in all, the game is definately on the low end of the market, but you have to give them some credit for using some original combat and control mechanics. D&D Online is using a similar scheme... so there has to be some sanity to their method, ne?

I have to agree with the navigation here, it is one of the best games I have been a part of in terms of navigating (CoH comes close to this form of navigation). As for the creatures, press "L" for the map and select "monsters" and you'll see what mobs you should and should not attack. But I must reiterate... POTE does no compare to RYL1 as far as PvP is concerned. RYL1 is a pure PvP game (once you get to what you think is a decent enough lvl). I remember so many of us getting together to launch an attack on the enemy's map and hold our own creating an actual war (can't get more PvP than that).

• MalicusMalicus Member Posts: 307

Regardless of mistakes made on review a 4.3 rating is generous considering PWGs sleazeball tactics, horrible community, no support, GMs encouraged to flame and deny, outright scams, inability to fix issues and buggy choppy gameplay. Myself i would have gave it a 2.5

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I'm a veteran MMORPG player, i tried most of them since 1998, RYL is probably one of the worst MMORPG i ever tried.... i agree with that review, 4.3 might even be a litttle bit too high for this POS.

Originally posted by Malicus
    Regardless of mistakes made on review a 4.3 rating is generous considering PWGs sleazeball tactics, horrible community, no support, GMs encouraged to flame and deny, outright scams, inability to fix issues and buggy choppy gameplay. Myself i would have gave it a 2.5

What sleaseball tactics are you talking about, what scams? As for GM's flaming and denying anything, I was a GM there and I helped everyone when I was on Malicus. Inability to fix issues was not PwG's fault if you knew your facts... As for the community, I cant disagree with you on that, only because most of us vets have left for greener pastures when we realized the game was severely unbalanced (RYL1 MY for instance, hehe, that's CiB's server not PwG).

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I'm a little late on this. Now this review is ok but there are a lot of incorrect things in it. I would like to greatly thank spafon, theanimedude, and Vicious for pointing out the flaws of this review, because if I were here earlier, I would have said the same thing, especially about the Fame. I played RYL back in 04 and this one isn't all that different from Path of the Emperor.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now, I have a question that makes me think after reading and thinking about this review. Is MMORPG.com (official) review is based upon 1 person (that's what it seems to me)? Let me tell you something. IGN acted the same way towards another game and the readers weren’t too happy about its 1-sided review. I think if any review should be (official), It should be a group review or at least 4 others giving in their opinions too. At least let the staff members get a few words in it.

*edit*

Oh yeah, I forgot to note that I was once a good GM of RYL back in the day. After I got setup and my GM title taken (and a bad, flaming, thief GM gets his title back), I would have to say that the GM's is this game are very bad. Whoever is giving these terrible people Game Master title without second thought is not doing their job neither.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• MalicusMalicus Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by payn69

What sleaseball tactics are you talking about, what scams? As for GM's flaming and denying anything, I was a GM there and I helped everyone when I was on Malicus. Inability to fix issues was not PwG's fault if you knew your facts... As for the community, I cant disagree with you on that, only because most of us vets have left for greener pastures when we realized the game was severely unbalanced (RYL1 MY for instance, hehe, that's CiB's server not PwG).

hmm lets see..to do a sparse summary:

Credit card double billings, The infamous Mp3 player sham,Countless fame giveaways where GMs run off after giving loc with  trails of frustrated exfans behind too name a couple. The worst of which is the million dollar april fools tourney. Maybe you should research your facts though cause if you were a GM youd think you would know of these things. GMs spent way too much time chasing their mistakes all over the forums of review sites instead of doing their jobs and avoiding disgruntled fanbase to begin with.

You can read alot of all the abovementioned on these forums and RYLs and countless others. Most every smart gamer knew the mill was a hoax. This was easily foreshadowed from the way PWG handled things early

Originally posted by Malicus
    Originally posted by payn69 What sleaseball tactics are you talking about, what scams? As for GM's flaming and denying anything, I was a GM there and I helped everyone when I was on Malicus. Inability to fix issues was not PwG's fault if you knew your facts... As for the community, I cant disagree with you on that, only because most of us vets have left for greener pastures when we realized the game was severely unbalanced (RYL1 MY for instance, hehe, that's CiB's server not PwG).
    hmm lets see..to do a sparse summary:
    Credit card double billings, The infamous Mp3 player sham,Countless fame giveaways where GMs run off after giving loc with trails of frustrated exfans behind too name a couple. The worst of which is the million dollar april fools tourney. Maybe you should research your facts though cause if you were a GM youd think you would know of these things. GMs spent way too much time chasing their mistakes all over the forums of review sites instead of doing their jobs and avoiding disgruntled fanbase to begin with.
    You can read alot of all the abovementioned on these forums and RYLs and countless others. Most every smart gamer knew the mill was a hoax. This was easily foreshadowed from the way PWG handled things early

One of the reasons why I left PwG was because of the million dollar tourney. There was a clause in there stating that employees (past or present), volunteers, family members of PwG, blah blah blah (goes on forever). What happened was Slappy and X-Factor said the past volunteer GM's couldnt participate in the tourney, then there was the founder's guild. At that time, only the founder's guild was able to participate in the tourney ( which most of which became a volunteer of some sort, be it Guide or GM). Then June 17 (I think it was) came along and suddenly the new purchasers of RYL:POTE were able to join in the tourney. I posted in the forums to show the PwG staff the context in which that clause was written and it did not state that past volunteers are excluded from the tourney only past employees. I had no response from PwG but numerous players. Then there was the big deal about spawn campers. I had it out with Dimka's guild because I was a rare Gm who cared about the rest of the community and tried to put a stop to it. X-factor and I didn;t see eye to eye on that. That was when I realized the community was goin to da sheeter. so I left before the tourney server was activated, and rarely parrused the forums, so needless to say I haven;t heard much about the scams that was goin on (that's why I asked). But when I was GM there wasn;t anything of the sort and Slappy (chip Baumgartner) was still GameLord!

• yamaha01yamaha01 Member Posts: 1

I think in places this reveiw is true BUT mostly it is complety Wrong and unjustified.

Example- u say the community is rubbish, but if u would have played this game for longer than 5 mins u would realise that this is not true, yes some ppl are complete ****** but overall the commuity is very good.image

Yes the tournament was 1 huge mistake from the start but its not really the games fault ppl CHEAT cause this problem and its down to them why it was closed, No one at Ryl is to blame.

Overall i have played RYL for a long time now i really enjoy it, yes it really annoyes me sometimes, but overall i enjoy playing this game and if the plublisher played the game more he would to, instead of writing this review over 5mins of play.image

RYL OWNES play it longer and seeimage!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by yamaha01
    I think in places this reveiw is true BUT mostly it is complety Wrong and unjustified.
    Example- u say the community is rubbish, but if u would have played this game for longer than 5 mins u would realise that this is not true, yes some ppl are complete ****** but overall the commuity is very good.image
    Yes the tournament was 1 huge mistake from the start but its not really the games fault ppl CHEAT cause this problem and its down to them why it was closed, No one at Ryl is to blame.
    Overall i have played RYL for a long time now i really enjoy it, yes it really annoyes me sometimes, but overall i enjoy playing this game and if the plublisher played the game more he would to, instead of writing this review over 5mins of play.image
    RYL OWNES play it longer and seeimage!!!!!!!!

Uh... "We canceled our 1mil prize due to the fact that some people cheated in the tournament"... thats a crappy excuse. It reas more like "Hey, lets create a 1mil prize tournament so people buy and play our game then cancel it, blame it all on the hackers and we dont have to pay anything!"

If you make a tournament, put a cash prize on it, you should EXPECT people to cheat their way into it. If you cant handle it, you shouldnt have started this in the firt place! This is exactly what so many people called it - a scam! If not this scam id care less about RYL - it was too much grind for me. But when companies start abusing peopl's trust - we have to speak up!

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    imageimage

• .Vicious..Vicious. Member Posts: 8

Well not being one to post over and over, when I have spoken my peace, I am going to say a couple more things.

1. The review is full of crap...

2. I never said RYL didnt have flaws...there are some.

3. Look at me as I flamed the reviewer? Look at the review that is full of lies, that should be your first clue of how biased the review is. You shouldnt be able to FLAME a game that you know nothing about.

4. As for all you that have been banned for cheating or quit because you didnt get your way, YOU know who you are, keep on posting negativity even though you know you had fun when you played. You are the most immature frekin people I have ever seen.

So in summary... I would like to say this was not a direct attack on the reviewer, but the review. Thats fair, and all of you know it. For all of you who like fps type games, but would like to break into the mmo world, I suggest RYL would be a great game to start with.

HAVE A NICE DAY!! 

Can u back it up with facts? The review has an opinion, you have one of your own, thats fine. But the review also has FACTS, you dont. In order to state "THIS REVIEW SUX" youve got to back it up with facts. Why does it suck? Why do you think its full of lies? The only incorrect thing from the review, as far as I know, is the PvP/Fame issue - the rest was not challenged by any1 with proven facts.

I consider flaming when someone posts something like this "This game is crap, I cant do anything, everyone that said something good about the game are lying". If you say the review is full of lies, prove it. THe game is buggy, is not so? The game relies heavily on grind, is not so? The game doesnt have many quests, is not so? The game has very weak crafting, is it not so? THe game doesnt have much economy, people have to idly sit and sell overpriced weapons, is it not so?

imageimage

• Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256

While I don't disagree with your review you point out things that are in every MMO and infer that they are detracting from the game.  Specifically, when you refer to there being "dots, roots, extra damage attacks, etc." you basically make it seem like they substandard features to the mmo.

So what I actually am in disagreement with is that you don't go after World of Warcraft (which I play) for those kinds of same things. *shruG*

It would be great to see mmo developers branch out into new combat methods but instead they are all formulating to the same overall concept of combat.  The only way to change that is to keep going after systems that run in that fashion, but at least do it fairly.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I have to say that I never played long enough to pvp...

I thought some of the Art design was ok but had issues with the game right from loading.

When I loaded I was stuck... waited a bit and tried to move around and eventually became unstuck. By accident I found the first quest giver who asks you to run to the end of the Dock... I thought I had... ran around a bit but could never get the quest giver to observer that I had finished the quest.

Hated the controls, at certain points I had one foot on the side of a mountain and the other floating in midair. Once my feet were under the ground and I had to restart.

Let's just say that I'm sure there are people who can enjoy this game... to me it felt unfinished and junky.

And I wasn't impressed with the community... though that could be because they were not my kind of community. I found a lot of trash talk l33t speak and just very unpleasant people.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I think the getting stuck bug was a common one, i fell into ground myself several times. Another bug to mention was the health meter bar, it was bugged and never showed full health.

imageimage