Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video card good enough?

Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Was just curious to see if my Geforce 8500 will run this game? Says min is 7800, but from what i was told, the 7800 is faster than my 8500, so i wasnt sure if i could run the game or not.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

It will run the game but it will lag to pieces. I would suggest getting a minimum 550-560-600+ card. Try using this.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

If I am assuming this correctly, I am an AMD customer, but the first number is the family generation and the second number is the build generation.

Newer family generation boards support newer functionality and efficiency.

Newer build generation means the clocks have been pushed compared to others in the same family generation.

So, it is very likely a 7800 does run faster than an 8500, but supporting more features. So I would venture to guess you might have issues running the game. But that is just a personal opinion from personal experience from using AMD and could mean absolutely nothing.

Might try out http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/

Type in "Guild Wars 2" -or- search the drop down list for "Guild Wars 2" and click "Can you run it?" button. You might have to install a plug-in for it to complete.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Gamefun

It will run the game but it will lag to pieces. I would suggest getting a minimum 550-560-600+ card. Try using this.

Not convinced this is true. I don't have a 8500 to try but my old 8800 still eats the game up on max settings(and heats my house while doing it =). I'm currently using an ati 6990 and honestly I can't see a diffirence since there is no dx10 (sometimes dx10 can  lag my old 8800gtx)  and no dx11 like tesselation and other 4.0 shaders blah blah/.

I read the game is still CPU bound and so the greater factor would be do you have an up to date processor and a decent amount of ram.

• CanisLupusXCanisLupusX Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Your Gforce 8500 might do it... But only in smaller resolution. Like 1024x768. It is a slowpoke even compared to a 7800.

Buying a new gfx card would be a good thing, especially if you want to play the game on FullHD resolution.

I would say at least a GTX260. Minimum. These you might get (used) for a few bucks now, as the hardcore-gamers consider it "too slow, too bad". But its enough to play GW2... It even was enough to play AION on full-HD, and that game was much more hardware-greedy (CryEngine).

By the way, CPU-hogginess was lower on BWE3 and stress tests after it than on BWE2.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by c-tray

Not convinced this is true. I don't have a 8500 to try but my old 8800 still eats the game up on max settings(and heats my house while doing it =). I'm currently using an ati 6990 and honestly I can't see a diffirence since there is no dx10 (sometimes dx10 can  lag my old 8800gtx)  and no dx11 like tesselation and other 4.0 shaders blah blah/.

I read the game is still CPU bound and so the greater factor would be do you have an up to date processor and a decent amount of ram.

This is no longer the case. Last BWE my GPU's were working their butts off.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by c-tray

This is no longer the case. Last BWE my GPU's were working their butts off.

Oh good to know. Sorry I hadn't seen anything on it since it was stated CPU bound. I should not have just assumed it was still the case I guess.

well I Guess you can never argue against a new graphics card, you can get a gtx560 for just under 150$ their are amd options too.

• Slyther_ZeroSlyther_Zero Member Posts: 127

To paint a picture for you OP..

My brother played all the BWE's on a 6 year old pc with the following specs:

Windows 7 32 bit
    2 gb RAM
    8800GT 512MB (Overclocked)
    2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Ran the game with 30+ fps on balanced settings @ 1920x1080 res.

So to answer your question yes, im pretty sure you'll be able to play. Just obviously on lower settings seems 8500 is the lower-end card of the 8 series. The game is still CPU bound for the time being so you may see a perfomance change once ANet implement a GPU orientated build.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

He couldn't possibly have done some work and earn't the cash for a better card.  

I mean it isn't as if we have children in third world countries scratching a living on the streets and in the slums to just survive is it ?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Omega431

Was just curious to see if my Geforce 8500 will run this game? Says min is 7800, but from what i was told, the 7800 is faster than my 8500, so i wasnt sure if i could run the game or not.

Thanks in advance.

I have 8600 gt which is better than your card and I tell you that playing GW2 on 8600 gt is NOT very pleasant experience.

Fortunatelly I am in process of getting money to uppgrade (not for GW2 only I planned this for long time already) and will propably have new PC in september.

So I would not advise to play GW2 on 8500.  You will get awful fps.  Of course it also depend on rest of your system specs.

If you have very strong CPU then it might help as GW2 is still quite CPU dependant (even if that's changing a bit with every build).

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

rest of my specs that are in question

2.6 dual core

4 gigz of ram

windows 7

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well CPU is not bad, but I still think that with GF 8500 your game experience will be unpleasant performance wise.

Do what you want, but I would personally not buy GW2 with that specs.  I think you would need to get better GPU if you want to play. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hmm you card may be running GW2 in very low populated zone's.

But as soon as you enter WvW you card may scream out the frustration of not handling it and may say to you:

BOSS PLS LET ME DIE !!!! :)

Seriiously m8. safe some money and upgrade your system components, if you like gaming on a pc you need to invest some cash into it once in awhile ;)
    I have some old pc eating dust and booted it up for the fun of it and played GW2 on that machine, my gaming exprience was horrible, i turned it off after 10 minutes :P

Dont know where you live, but if your living in the USA PC components are almost free compared to the EU :P
    The diffence in prices are fracking huge, some diffrence can add up to almost 150 dollar for the same videocard compared to the EU.

I heared Newweg or something hasw very cheap components and you might setup a new system thats 50x better then your for around 600 dollars.
    If you have no clue about pc systems ask a buddy to assist you or read up on some benchmarks like Tom's Hardware to check what is best price / performance or good cheap stuff.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    The game will probably at least nominally run, but there's a good chance that it won't be playable.  A GeForce 8500 GT was a low end video card from 2007.  People citing a GeForce 8800 something or other are talking about a high end card from the same year.  Same architecture, but the difference between 128 shaders and 16 shaders matters a lot.