Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age? Rubies? Just Wait For WOW?

I've been playing Anarchy Online and I'm quite bored...I haven't gotten a character all THAT high level but I think I want to move to fantasy..

I've been waiting for WOW but I am dying to play a game in the meanwhile...I see that DAOC is NOT downloadable (which is beyond me)...but Rubies is...however DAOC looks better to me.

Any suggestions on which to play? Should I just try Rubies (10 day free trial) or is it worth it to just buy DAOC.  I wish DAOC had a downloadable game as well as a trial period...

Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• anti_ssmanti_ssm Member Posts: 50
    I'm not a big fan of DAoC, but I haven't played rubies either, so I couldn't tell you which I think is better.

"Doesn't anyone in this town wear pants?"

• BuMnAcHaIrBuMnAcHaIr Member Posts: 77

Well i cant say which is better because ive only played DAOC, I can tell you that DAOC is fun for a while...but when i was playing before any expansions, you simply run out of things to do and dungeon hop from one place to the next depending on level..wasnt incredibly fun for me, but it might have changed. The RvR combat was pretty fun when not lagged to death, although i was lagged quite often =)          

Now, if i were to refer a fantasy game to you, it would probably everquest simply because the game made me feel like i was in the world, something none of the other games have been able to duplicate. Gave a great feeling when playing even with its mind destroying camps and so on. I'm not sure if you can download it now, but i know its not very expensive, jewelcase is like $9 U.S. and then theres other deals for a bit more to get a bunch of the expansions and so on.   

Hope this helped some, gluck with your gaming.

One kick in the face is better then two.

One kick in the face is better then two.

• anti_ssmanti_ssm Member Posts: 50

That pretty well sums up my DAoC experience.  And I agree, Everquest is the way to go.

"Doesn't anyone in this town wear pants?"

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    I agree with the others.  Havent played Rubies, DAoC was fun but only for a little bit.  Give EQ a try, its just better.  image

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I know tons of people who stopped playing but still have their previous characters. Would it be better to get one of theirs so you wouldn't be such a noobie or start from scratch?

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

ive heard the community in eq is badd... and i just dont wanna start, ive heard to many bad things bout the addictions. ive been playing daoc off and on for the last year and i like it alot. my freaking guild keeps breaking up and reforming though.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by SatansDisciple

ive heard the community in eq is badd... and i just dont wanna start, ive heard to many bad things bout the addictions. ive been playing daoc off and on for the last year and i like it alot. my freaking guild keeps breaking up and reforming though.

Hmm strange never heard bad things about the EQ community in general maybe few tales of bad players and annoying KSing guilds.

Bad players ,EQ has its share but if you take it as a percentage to population I would say the least number of irritating players are in EQ,it is because it is a crowded game that it appears like it has more.

Guild ksing is a issue due to the mechanics of the game and really only disturb end game guilds because they are the only ones that can go to zones with mobs on a 4 week timer LOL.

If you are willing to start off on a game that is older then AO and will soon have a sequel in EQ2,then EQ is a nice game.

DAoC is also an ok game but suffers from age too.

I also recommend SWG if you want a game with a community not yet established and new.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
  • SigylSigyl Member Posts: 6

Thanks to everyone who posted.  I appreciate ALL of the feedback. 

I do especially like your comment BuMnAcHaIr about "the game made me feel like i was in the world"...that sounds JUST like the thing that I have been looking for.

I will look into EQ...maybe I'll like it so much and be just in time for EQ2...

I'll let you guys know what I think!!!

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

hi all,

the community is terrible in EQ ok i bought all the ezpasions up intill lucion or what ever that expansions called played for my first month. NOT ONE TIME while i asked other ppl for help or sugjestions did they help me. and this was on 5 differant servers sure there where new players in the starting zones but they where old players making new chars only thing i can think of. i asked how to get quests ppl said ask around and even with the help of the book i couldnt get the friggin things to work. i tried to play but all my ? to other players where answered by either noob or go ask so and so.

so i moved to daoc ppl grouped me with out being rude. we helped eachother. it is very nice so now that i have a 50 aug/mend shammy i do the same for new ppl to the game as others did for me. now to me that a community of ppl to play a game with.

for all you ppl who are saying why didnt you just figure it out yourself well im a casual player i play for fun not frustration. even if i had the time to sit at my comp all the time i wouldnt sorry.

Oh and rvr in daoc has battle grounds for all the lower chars that play who dont want to just level till 50. the bg's start at level 15 and go up till 35 after 35 it the frontier for you to rvr in.

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

There are a lot of debates over EQ vs DAoC but most of the people I hear saying DAoC is worse then EQ played EQ for a long time first. They are also often times people who quit DAoC a long time ago. They are also people who rarely if ever mention that DAoC has RvR and is adding a RvR expansion soon.

DAoC has faults but is much more polished then EQ and it has a much better player vs player component. 

EQ is good if you get in a n uber guild and get high level and can do all the high end content. So in a bout a year you will have a game that can compete with DAoC which lets you go to BGs at lvl 15(a lvl you can reach in a week or two)

Originally posted by lyonman24

hi all,
       the community is terrible in EQ ok i bought all the ezpasions up intill lucion or what ever that expansions called played for my first month. NOT ONE TIME while i asked other ppl for help or sugjestions did they help me. and this was on 5 differant servers sure there where new players in the starting zones but they where old players making new chars only thing i can think of. i asked how to get quests ppl said ask around and even with the help of the book i couldnt get the friggin things to work. i tried to play but all my ? to other players where answered by either noob or go ask so and so.
        so i moved to daoc ppl grouped me with out being rude. we helped eachother. it is very nice so now that i have a 50 aug/mend shammy i do the same for new ppl to the game as others did for me. now to me that a community of ppl to play a game with.
         for all you ppl who are saying why didnt you just figure it out yourself well im a casual player i play for fun not frustration. even if i had the time to sit at my comp all the time i wouldnt sorry.
        Oh and rvr in daoc has battle grounds for all the lower chars that play who dont want to just level till 50. the bg's start at level 15 and go up till 35 after 35 it the frontier for you to rvr in.

Well I think many will agree including me that EQ learning curve is steep and though they made it better now it was really bad when I started playing in 2000.

As of the time you started playing there were quite a lot of sites which tells you were to get quests and all.

Now though it is never justified to sent a rude tell back to someone asking for information .

But if the tell was "sorry i don't know ask someone else" or a "i don't know" it is perfectly understandable.

Reason been is that in EQ many quest are ever changing and very many.

I seriously doubt there is one high level player that actually remembers any of the newbie quest because 1)many of us never did them 2)it been so long 3)most of them have been removed and replaced or revamped.

As for casual gamer playing EQ.There are a lot of casual gamers playing EQ .

In short i held a part time job and was going to university as of 2001 when i played and yet was in a high end guild.

Granted eventually i had to  quit EQ but not because it does not promote casual play but because MY guild went to a level I could not afford that time  to play with them.

I could have stepped down to a mid level guild and played quite casually but since i grew up with that guild  i rather leave the game then move .

This hardcore play is limited to high end guilds which make up less then 10 percent EQ population.

I have numerous post saying anyone starting out should play DAoC because of the time it takes to develop a character in EQ(with EQ2 coming out ).

But it does not mean EQ is any less fun or exciting.

Both are very good games  and have their own merits.

But saying EQ community is terrible  seems strange to me and many others.

Maybe you had bad luck  but that should not stop you playing a game.

My first day in UO,a player asked me to attack him so he can practise his healing  and i got killed by the guards and my new ticket(a top prize in start of UO ) was looted/stolen.

Still played it for over 1 year image

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

so in short you cant be a casual player and get to the end game in EQ because your guild went into either higher levels that you had no time to get too or well plz explain dont know another reason why you couldnt go on with them.

mostly EQ with my testing and asking ppl ?'s and getting nothing but rude remarks(and yes i did get some tell saying sorry i dont know) but more where rude than nice left a sour taste in my mouth about the game. same in daoc goes for eq you can try and level your self but you always need to group. ppl wouldnt even group with me in eq because i was to low or they wouldnt answer me. now if someone would said here i can try and help you follow me that would have made a hug differance in my view of the game i may not have even started daoc.

Now i started playing uo when tram came out but i still played in fel more than tram. but even in uo which is wierd even for todays players there where more nicer ppl than rude ones. mostly luck i guess. I played AC for about 2 months nice ppl but only thing that was fun to me in the game was cow tipping. so the ac community was nice just didnt like the game. but i figure if you cant make friends with at least one player in a month then the games not worth my money

• MehugeMehuge Member UncommonPosts: 24

Graphics and UI in DAoC 1000x better than in Rubies

Played DAoC 1.5 years.  Played rubies for 1/2 hour and cancelled.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I thought the post was about DAoC or Rubies? lol....

I played DAoC when it first came out for about 3 months, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then... and I beta tested RoE.

A major part of DAoC is the RvR combat, you don't have to get involved... but it is a big part of the purpose of the game.

Rubies of Eventide had an intersting constant "point-click-move-click-attack" feel to it during battles, so it kind of had the feel of "turn based" combat instead of real time. Again this was in beta, I don't know if things changed or not.

DAoC has been around for a while, Rubies is still somewhat new so there's that to consider. If anythiing go read forum posts for both games on their websites and read up on it... see if there's any major complaints, bugs, playbalancing issues that you wouldn't want to deal with.

Oh... and as far as WoW... that's next year man, probably middle to late next year. Personally, if you're wanting to try a new game, perhaps you should wait until Horizons, Final Fantasy XI, or Everquest 2.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I'm just sitting patiently at my computer for the eq2 beta. The official site ball parked that it would be released around late summer early fall (Thats now!) but then the rule of mmorpg betas is that you take the time the official site gives you, add it by 35-40 days and that's when the beta will actually be released. Except when were handling with blizzard you add it by about 265 days image. (hmmmm why is there underlines?)

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

I only assume EQ got such high reviews since the those people are currently playing EQ.  I played EQ for over 3 years. I have a few 65 characters with 150+ AA's on them, been to PoTime, and just about everywhere else you can go. 

EQ is great fun until about level 50. Much beyond that if you want to progress it'll become a full time job. My play time went from 10-15 hours a week to 40. I after level 60 and go into a raid guild I would spend near 60 hours a week playing.

Is it just me... well maybe. But things in EQ are made to slow your progression or are just very poorly designed.

Here's my EQ Hate list, that isn't nearly as much of a problem in all the MMORPG's I've played.

1. Everything in EQ takes to long. Nothing has down time like EQ. You'll spend more time sitting around waiting for: mana, something to spawn, someone to show up. Than you'd ever believe possible. Down time in a DAoC is like 45seconds-90seconds. It's about 5-15 minutes in EQ. Ask yourself How much do I enjoy doing nothing. If you love doing nothing, then EQ is the game for you.

2. Class balance is a joke. Some classes do allot more DPS than others, some are needed in high numbers or raids/groups won't happen... others add nothing at all. Ask yourself, do I like the feeling of being trapped because the raid is over if I leave, or nobody want me around, I don't add anything useful. Then EQ is the game for you.

3. Everything takes to long. Mobs have to many HP, manna takes to long to regen. (this from a guy with FT15, MC3 and a manna regen buff)

3. Elitism. No game fosters it better than EQ.

4. Class balance is a joke. Only a few classes can solo at the high end, if you want to get to 65, better plan on getting that second account somewhere around level 55. Or you better enjoy begging for groups.

5. Everything takes to long. Let's say it's your anniversary you die... you have 3 hours until you leave with your bride to somewhere warm. Do you take the later flight and make her mad? Or do you lose everything you been working on for the last 3 years (for 40 hours a week) Granted GY's help, but they aren't everywhere. And they still waste allot of your time. Die in itself will cost you 20-30 minutes of game time. (GY + regen manna + regen manna after buffing)  You seldom can /quit when you need to.

6. Rude people... spawns are rare (or can be). You can punk some level 45 sitting on Grim Feather, or you can be nice let him have it, and sit for 73 hours. What to do?

7. Everything takes to long. Rare spawns.... yikes. Nothing has you sitting around waiting for nothing like EQ. If you want the phat lewt to get into the uber guild, you'll have to camp things that take days (literally to spawn) if you fall asleep or log out, you lose. 50 hours is the longest camp I ever ran, sitting at my PC and not sleeping... just so I could get a epic item. I'm glad epics are outdated now (more of them) that's a experience no one really needs.

8. Class balance is a joke. Try PvP sometime... PvP is SO BAD in EQ I think it's reason so many people hate it. I sure did, I was in shock how much fun PvP can be if it's implemented well.

9. Everything takes to long. Let's say you need to get 100 people somewhere for a raid.... how long would it take? The answer as long as it would take a 100 people to show up in life... or to long!

10. Rude people. Camps are just lame... A there is no such thing as a camp according to VI, so no really has to respect it. B. let's face it sitting in one spot for 10 hours to get exp is just a poor game design.

11. Stepping on the little people. If your going to get to 65, the AA's and loot needed to get into a uber guild, you're going have to join little guilds and trade up. This is generally bad. It causes allot of problems and make the game not fun to log into. (plan on playing 40-80 hours a week if you want to be in a "uber" guild)

12. Did I say everything takes to damn long? At least you don't have to ride the boats anymore... or even wait on the ports to the nexus anymore.

On the plus side, EQ does have more content than any other MMRPG. It is fairly well polished, all of little things that make it easy to play. 

EQ is a very old game with very old outdated ideas. I give the credit for being the "god father" of MMORPG's but it's time has passed. I only assume people hold onto it since because they FEAR change and have spent so many thousand of hours playing they don't want to give up. (I was one of those people for a long time, but fear not, change is good)

EQ is like a really bad movie with great reviews. It's hard to keep watching but if you get up and walk out before the end you won't understand why everyone likes it. The only problem this one doesn't have a end.

DAoC is EQ with nearly all sucky things removed. You can play DAoC "part time" and still achieve. Don't listen to anyone that isn't still playing it. If they played EQ during the beta, then stopped a month or two they would be saying the same thing about EQ.

All games lacked content for the first few years, it takes allot of time to come up with good content. Newer MMORPG's (AO and DAoC for example) should have plently of content now

The short short version: EQ everything takes to damn long.

-=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.
    A: 93%, E: 55%, S:3% K: 50%

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127

from my experience in playing all those games.. if your waiting for WoW, I would just play some other games(non-mmorpg, cuz they get to be addictive and you might miss the beginnings of WoW)

DAoC : it's good if you don't get lag.  Although, it depends on if you like to play solo or in a group.  Also, the guilds in DAoC tend to get a bit too much into the game(they expect you to do this and that, ppl fight over some mistake, etc.)

EQ : for me, this game lagged more than DAoC, and I'm more of a solo/small group player so I didn't like how you can't do much if you go solo.  Alot of the people are nice and they will roleplay many times too. 

AC : This is the game you should've played when it first came out(it's much better than EQ!!! yea, take that eq players :)   ).  It was really good at the first 2 1/2 years, with a great community and alot of special events/quests and the least lag of the three... but now it's so crappy.  They should've ended it after 3 years or so, now everything's out of hand.

Originally posted by Lansid

I thought the post was about DAoC or Rubies? lol....
    I played DAoC when it first came out for about 3 months, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then... and I beta tested RoE.
    A major part of DAoC is the RvR combat, you don't have to get involved... but it is a big part of the purpose of the game.
    Rubies of Eventide had an intersting constant "point-click-move-click-attack" feel to it during battles, so it kind of had the feel of "turn based" combat instead of real time. Again this was in beta, I don't know if things changed or not.
    DAoC has been around for a while, Rubies is still somewhat new so there's that to consider. If anythiing go read forum posts for both games on their websites and read up on it... see if there's any major complaints, bugs, playbalancing issues that you wouldn't want to deal with.
    Oh... and as far as WoW... that's next year man, probably middle to late next year. Personally, if you're wanting to try a new game, perhaps you should wait until Horizons, Final Fantasy XI, or Everquest 2.

Yep pretty much like it said I did not have the time for them raiding the top end stuff.

While there is a lot to do at mid and lower levels i had build friendships over years and was not going to start again and after a few years of any game  I was bored.

Could have stayed on in guild but what was the point if I have to log half way thru a crawl.

Pretty much EQ is rewarded according to what you put in like any MMORPG.

Now take those with highest RP to spent on those lovely skills in DAoC  and tell me they are casual gamers.

In MMORPG casuals will always have less then hardcore gamers,so if you let that bother you then yes you will feel the game is "not for casuals".

Anyhow sony does not need my help saying the game is good they have almost half a million accounts that agree.

If you gave it more time you could have made a more subjective judgement of the game.

If you played say couple of weeks and visited a few places then say hey that game sucks ,I would say " sure everyone has their own taste" but seems you hardly gave the game a chance and declared it bad.

Also you clearly have not read those threads about RvR.People have made real life threats because of RvR.

It is all in human nature.