Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think a lot of the hate is fake...and misdirected.

Comments

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by coretex666

When I say this, I obviously do not mean hate posts, so I will take the liberty not to answer your question of what answer I would expect to this kind of posts.

I meant posts that attempt at providing constructive criticism or expressing negative opinion in a correct manner. I think that people should be allowed to make these threads and that their opinions should be tolerated even if they are not shared by the people reacting to them instead of being told "We dont care about those critics".

I'll answer with another question : why absolutely feeling the need to create another 323278th topic about something one don't like with the game ? Why feeling the need to create a topic about it, except a huge "hey it's me ! I got something VERY important to say, gw2 fans !" ? Why ? Why not simply doing a forum search, chose one of the (very) numerous topics already created about the discussion subject, and post into it ?

And yes, enthusiasts don't care about critics, dude. Meanwhile, they are totally open with debating on a certain subject, and its intrications, in a polite manner, but certainly not open to make the effort to stay civil against a critic that is either 1) just disinformation, 2) blurry, 3) miseducated, 4) provokative

And let's be honest, this is precisely the kind of tone I've seen for monthes now.

Because question has never been about discussing something good or bad in a game. If you read all the constructive discussions in this forum, you'll find that most of them can easily start to talk about something considered a "problem", but never trigger any hate from fans. Because it's well written, unprovokative, and most of all, not monomaniac about the point it's talking about. Most haters that we're talking about here are that : monomaniacs always bashing the same subject over and over, with the same (non) argument over and over... over ... over and over .... It's just insane at some point.

So in the end, the only message we could tell to them is "OK WE GET IT now move along and just enjoy the positives in that damn game."

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Amjoco
     Damn I'm mad spelled backwards is still Damn I'm Mad. The hate needs to stop and be directed at FPS. :)

No its not. Its Damm In Mad.  But yes, stop the hate!

I didn't like GW2 when I first heard of it. I didn't like Guild Wars 1 very much either - the instancing was too much for me and I didnt really get into the graphics. I was an Ultima / EverQuest / Vanguard old school MMORPG player, I liked the long travelling, the complicated stats, hundreds of quests where I ran around this massive world for a tiny reward, hunting for items so I could get an extra +1 toughness or a slight advantage against mobs. I liked being a dedicated Healer and putting all my time into making my character better.

But, after making some posts here, and being shown videos and explained how it was different, I finally decided to get the Pre-order and try out the beta (although I was secretly thinking "this is going to suck", right up until my Asura Elementalist almost fell over while casting and I laughed out loud).

You know what? I spend every day now checking for new information, watching the latest guide videos, reading the forums, and telling my friends about this cool new game thats coming out. I can't wait to take part at launch, and I'm seriously impressed with ArenaNet and how they have studied other games and worked out just what wasnt working and fixed it. Even down to tiny details like opening the servers a few hours early so they have time to spot any problems before offical launch time, and removing the need for queues.

It's like a breath of fresh air, and I think those who "hate" the game based on heresay should try to give it a go and see if they still feel the same after an hour or so. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

Like others said. Topics like "Why GW2 is going to fail" always get blocked, because there is never any constructive criticism. It's always "It will because I said so", people who don't like the game, never back their theories up with arguments, it's always statements. One on a billion posts like that has some arguments, but those are mostly incorrect, because someone was to lazy to actually read some stickies and learn about the game.

Which is even more wierd, because how can someone don't like a game, that he doesn't even know. It's like the person is set to hate the game from the beginning for some reason, and then just dedicates himself to search for negatives.

I don't really think that this is some kind of marketing, they are regular people who get really frustrated by other people who like the game and praise it, like the OP wrote.

Why? That's how people work. I think it is mostly jealousy, because they see people who are really in love with a game, while they themselves can't find a game they can enjoy anymore. Frustration grows to the point they need to release it on forums.

If you just don't like a game, you stay quiet. It needs to get personal for someone to write about it.

You shouldn't worry, people have brains and will verify empty statements by themselves, doing their own research.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    There seems to be a bit of nativity concerning the common Internet activity of "paid to post". The OP is right to suspect certain posts are dubious in their nature. Easy tells are load questions like "have you stopped beating your wife?" or "How long will it take Anernanet to fix the broken combat system?

Paid to Post is a rising problem, undoubtedly. I tried to start a discussion about it ages ago, but it was moved in nobody-will-see-this-topic-landhttp://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/345774/page/1

There is also this well known fact that some other MMO players really don't like how they're gonna be left alone when GW2 will be released : 

Seen on Arena Junkies, in the article where they announce the integration of GW2 in their site :

Originally posted by Donald

"already cant find partners, no one go to gw2 thx "

http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/509-guild-wars-2-now-featured-on-arena-junkies/

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• CMarkCMark Member Posts: 5

Fact is, for almost one full year, GW2 fans have mercilessly trolled the forums of any other game that could be seen as a competitor to GW2 during its release.  The very first few pages showed a few forum avatars that are well recognized for showing into other games forums to trash talk their game and tell people not to try those "trash"games because GW2 is coming yada yada. 

GW2 hardcore fans have been by far the most virulent cult like crew that I've seen since WoW. Now their time is finally coming that the world in general get to see the game for themselves and not only as GW2 fans present it.  And they finally get to see with their own eyes the emperor has no clothes - it's just another MMO - not particularly better or worse than others but with a helluva cash shop.  All these passionate GW2 fans are getting is what they have been dishing out to other games for a year.

Simple as that.

You just have to stop and think critically about your game the same as you've been lashing on other games all this time. 

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205
    Anything out the mouth of a 12-18 year old is fake epeen crud anyway but as games attract 12-18 year olds we should expect alot of random bullsh*t hate on forums :D 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    any post, whether its positive or negative, that makes a statement without any reasoning behind it, you can pretty much ignore. That at least, is my take on things, if someone dislikes a certain feature and explains why, then thats a fair comment, likewise with the positive posts that explains what it is that they like and why they like it, bland posts that just make a statement without even attempting to give some kind of reasoning behind it, are imo, wasted posts, as they add nothing.image
  • AdokaumAdokaum Member UncommonPosts: 84

It's funny because GW2 is one of the few titles that doesn't have as much hate as other mmos do. At least you don't see "WoW clone" all over the place. People are just making up stupid arguments for the sake of arguing. All the "hate" mostly comes down to :

"they lied to us about random events, they aren't random at all" 

"optimization sucks, my 3xGTX 680 gets bad performance on stress tests"

"OMG IT'S PAY2WIN"

And the occasional "there are no raids" other than that there really hasn't been all that much in terms of real problems with the game. This is mostly because ArenaNet didn't promise  us any features or hyped the game with anything that didn't exist or doesn't work. There are no cinematic trailers, no bullshit. Sure there are things that they made sound better than they actually are (not by much) but it's all just marketing and everyone does it, even Blizzard . Can you imagine if Blizzard told you how dull and repetetive WoW actually is? 

That's just my 2cents. I'm not a fanboy of any game I love all games of all genres. 

Originally posted by CMark

Fact is, for almost one full year, GW2 fans have mercilessly trolled the forums of any other game that could be seen as a competitor to GW2 during its release.  The very first few pages showed a few forum avatars that are well recognized for showing into other games forums to trash talk their game and tell people not to try those "trash"games because GW2 is coming yada yada. 

GW2 hardcore fans have been by far the most virulent cult like crew that I've seen since WoW. Now their time is finally coming that the world in general get to see the game for themselves and not only as GW2 fans present it.  And they finally get to see with their own eyes the emperor has no clothes - it's just another MMO - not particularly better or worse than others but with a helluva cash shop.  All these passionate GW2 fans are getting is what they have been dishing out to other games for a year.

Simple as that.

You just have to stop and think critically about your game the same as you've been lashing on other games all this time. 

Saying "GW2 fans" did this or that, after reading this thread. Since you should know there are lots of people that trash talk every game, and claim they are fans of other, which is not always true since they can be paid to do this. That + the fact that mostly it is other people that call them fans, they do not claim it themselves. "Oh, must be another fanboy".

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Pravana

I don't honestly believe that people who claim to hate GW2 actually do. Many of these people claimed they've played thousands of hours of games like EQ, DAoC, and WoW. How could they hate a game that is stepping of the box while trying to attract most classic RPG lovers? There's been mutterings of the genre dying choking on the venom of their communities and the greed of publishers. Why would people who are so passionate about the genre turn on their own?

People are writing well formed posts about the game only be dead wrong about almost everything they wrote! They want to convince people that an MMORPG shouldn't be played or at least tried by fans of the genre.

I wish that people would stop pretending that its the game that they're hating NOT the fans of the game. I'm tried of the all contrived ways people are coming up with to justify their Gamer Envy. Yep, I said envy. Many people who play MMOrpgs play them out the obligation or habit but...................

IT WASN"T ALWAYS LIKE THIS. THEY USED TO ENJOY GAMES THEY PLAYED. 

The journey was the adventure. Challenge was fun not duanting. Gear was for show and you guildmates were family in every way that mattered.

Now  there's a game that has captured that spirit again they want to pretend that the game glaring flaws or shortcomings. IMHO they want to feel the excitement and wonder many GW2 fans have for their own game. They envy the experience that can't be brought with a box set or with a monthly subscription fee. It's the true love that comes with being a fan the game. Your gear can't show you love neither can your PVP rating. Only community full of passionate and welcoming fans can do that.

If you read through this thanks. I really need to get this off my chest.

I don't hate it but I won't play it... not a fan of GW universe, I find it boring.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I don't hate GW2. I guess on a scale of 1 (hate), through 5 (neutral), towards 10 (love) I've been on a 7. Then the rabid fanboys came, and I'm down to a 4.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Simple as that.

Before, during, or after writing your view, did you think you would come off as a bit hypocritical?

Every forum has haters of other games in them. In my view you are one of them just like the rest. Take your own advice.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by maji
    I don't hate GW2. I guess on a scale of 1 (hate), through 5 (neutral), towards 10 (love) I've been on a 7. Then the rabid fanboys came, and I'm down to a 4.

If other people can annoy you to the point they influence your judgment so badly, I hope for you it is not the same in real life, cause it would be a problem.

• CMarkCMark Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by everland

Saying "GW2 fans" did this or that, after reading this thread. Since you should know there are lots of people that trash talk every game, and claim they are fans of other, which is not always true since they can be paid to do this. That + the fact that mostly it is other people that call them fans, they do not claim it themselves. "Oh, must be another fanboy".

I read that a few times . .  . it still was too incoherent to understand.  Just, for shiz and giggles.  Take several random posters from the first 3 pages and look at their post history.  You will find more than  a few in forums other than GW2 showing unnanounced to troll them.  Doing to other games for many months in advance, what you are accusing others to doing to your precious Kool-Aid right now. 

Now, much like cults, there is no room for reasoning or arguing - just burn the witch that dares not agree with us.  That's fine.  Point's been made.  Some of us will just chill back and relax - and watch.  It'll be a few months.  3-6.  It'll be fun.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by maji

If i would generate a "love" to a game based on "fanboyism", i should skip the video games as whole by now.

Just play the game when it releases and dont give a damn about others. Or better, dont read public forums, it become less annoying like that. Trust me ;)

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Really, the only reasons I have for disliking GW2 are entirely derived from reading the same pompous bullshit about how those of us who "don't get it" are mentally inept, or missing something so obvious we may as well be. Nothing about the product has struck me as necessary to experience, despite some of the mechanics they're approaching differently, and I'm about as sick of the fantasy theme as anyone can get. All of that aside, though, it's the community and the people who are giving me less reasons to try it, rather than more; not the game itself.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Those who like and those who dislike both tend to make absolute statements. GW2 IS... GW2 WON'T... Then they back them up with sweeping statements and no hard factual evidence. Generally because the hard factual evidence is limited.

An example is the GW2 end game. No one has been there. There was a 20 minute or so vid on Twitch TV on it from the devs but NO ONE has factual 'I DID THIS'. (And let's face it, a handful of people don't equal the 2-3 million who will be playing, even if there was a factual pro or con statement rolling around.)

The only really accurate statement is 'I played it and I like it'. 'I played it and I didn't like it'.

For me, I played it. I like it. I am going to enjoy myself until I don't and I hope THAT point is a long time coming.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Pravana

I don't honestly believe that people who claim to hate GW2 actually do. Many of these people claimed they've played thousands of hours of games like EQ, DAoC, and WoW. How could they hate a game that is stepping of the box while trying to attract most classic RPG lovers?

Because that's not how they see it.

Eleanor Rigby.

Originally posted by everland

I read that a few times . .  . it still was too incoherent to understand.  Just, for shiz and giggles.  Take several random posters from the first 3 pages and look at their post history.  You will find more than  a few in forums other than GW2 showing unnanounced to troll them.  Doing to other games for many months in advance, what you are accusing others to doing to your precious Kool-Aid right now. 

Now, much like cults, there is no room for reasoning or arguing - just burn the witch that dares not agree with us.  That's fine.  Point's been made.  Some of us will just chill back and relax - and watch.  It'll be a few months.  3-6.  It'll be fun.

It's funny how I just wrote that people come to this forums and write their bold statements, backing them up with absolutely nothing, and then you came talking about the game being emperor without no clothes, throwing these empty statements and dark predictions, totally proving my point.

While we try to generalize, that haters are everywere, every game has them, and some are paid, you come, and start to write how GW2 fans are bad. You might be a perfect example of the people we are talking about here.

How are you different from the the "most virulent cult" that we represent? You just did the same thing you was writing about, you came to this forum and talked bad about this game. Hypocrisy?

• lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38

I would LOVE to play this game...there are elements i dont like but more that i do like.I dont however want to be part of its community.I think every game has flaws and to me a community that wants to call a game *perfect* before its even launched is a recipe for disaster.

I migh even play the game....im not 1 to let others ruin my fun.But its not bad game design keeping me away..its gamers with bad attitudes.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

You are correct, OP.  I don't hate the game itself.  Months ago when I first tried the BWE I didn't like the game at all. I didn't hate it though. I came on this site, brought up issues I had with the game, answered people's threads and received a rediculous amount of hate, I saw others with similar views jumped on 24/7.  I admit it's got a lot better since then.  I once posted a reasonable comment on a Youtube GW2 video about a problem I had with the game, my inbox was filled with dozens of "omg drop dead you WoW noob, get cancer"  it is because of my experience with the fans, I now hate the game.  I will be glad when it's out, people can just enjoy it,  and it won't be the biggest thing anymore.  I know I'm being unreasonable, but people can't help how they feel.

PS.  The emotion in your OP made me feel incredibly uncomfortable.

so you are basing your whole current opinion on the game over a very very small minority of people that will play GW2 and who post on this forum?

Aerowyn you just really empathise why this is a problem on this forum.  You simply can't get why some people don't like your favorite game and it doesn't matter how many times you accuse them of lying, post videos from enthusiastic fans, post blogs from ANET, that simple fact won't change.

Seriously just let it go, in life some people just won't get what you see in something.  

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by lustbust

I would LOVE to play this game...there are elements i dont like but more that i do like.I dont however want to be part of its community.I think every game has flaws and to me a community that wants to call a game *perfect* before its even launched is a recipe for disaster.

I migh even play the game....im not 1 to let others ruin my fun.But its not bad game design keeping me away..its gamers with bad attitudes.

It's a $60 video game, not a life changing event. Relaxe and enjoy it!!

Years ago I would go to my sons softball games and the other team would cheer for their kids. I didn't dislike the other team for it, nor did I take my son out of the sport because of it. That would not only have been a huge dissapointment for him, but also for me.  Now, I'm looking forward to my two Grandsons playing so I can cheer them on.

Don't let what others are cheering about turn you from something you may enjoy. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    I preordered and did a few of the betas before the final stress tests. I was honestly not all that impressed. My clan is playing it so I'll try it from time to time but to me the graphics are weak, models dated, animations not so fluid and NPC dialogues are kind of embarrassing to watch. But I'll truck along see where it leads. They might change a few things before it goes live.

But yea, this entire subforum reads like players complaining that people are judging their game the same way they have been judging others.
  • lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by lustbust

It's a $60 video game, not a life changing event. Relaxe and enjoy it!!

Years ago I would go to my sons softball games and the other team would cheer for their kids. I didn't dislike the other team for it, nor did I take my son out of the sport because of it. That would not only have been a huge dissapointment for him, but also for me.  Now, I'm looking forward to my two Grandsons playing so I can cheer them on.

Don't let what others are cheering about turn you from something you may enjoy. :)

I play mmos because of the social aspect.....dont have much to say to most gw2 fans. would only buy it to go kill them in pvp and be better at their game then them.

60$ could buy me lots of stuff better stuff than a game i am unsure of.

• Originally posted by CMark

You say this like it's unique to GW2 fans.  We get plenty of the same on this forum from people who like TSW, TOR, TERA, WOW, etc.
This discussion has been closed.