Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions

KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

I have some preconceived notions about this game and am looking to see if maybe I'm just being to closed minded.  I have watched a few videos and the search function on this site returns 0 results in both basic and advanced search for me.

1.  Are craftable weapons and armor better or equal to what you find in dungeons?

2.  Would you say crafting is closer to WoW, or closer to SWG or Vanguard?

3.  Is all PvP instanced?

4.  Are all zones separated by a loading screen?

5.  Would you classify this as an instanced themepark?

6.  Does it take weeks to hit max level, or does it take months?

Waiting on: The Repopulation

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Kraylor

I have some preconceived notions about this game and am looking to see if maybe I'm just being to closed minded.  I have watched a few videos and the search function on this site returns 0 results in both basic and advanced search for me.

1.  Are craftable weapons and armor better or equal to what you find in dungeons?

1.  Equal

2.  Never played SWG or Vanguard, but I'm guessing closer to WoW.

3.  No

4.  Yes.

5.  It's a themepark with instances, if that's what you mean, but the whole game isn't instances (The vast majority isn't), and there's a lot of play people can do together in the open world.

6.  Depends upon how hard you're playing, but current calculations estimate average to level 80 is probably around 90-100 hours.  So however long that takes you.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

All your answers are found here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/  Please take the time to look them up instead of asking what has been asked many times before.  But whatever, I'll answer

1) Gear is more cosmetic and less stat based.  So, crafted gear is a different look than those found in the world.  It's choice.

2) Crafting is nothing like WoW's.  Well, okay getting ingrediants and putting them together part is, but the way recipes work is not.  You have to essentially mix and match ingrediants to find recipes to make stuff.  That's the best, most interesting way to craft, but basic crafting still allows you to make 100's of a single basic known recipe (good luck with that).  Though you don't go to a vendor for more recipes (but there are unique/rare vendors out there with rare recipes).

3) Yes and no  sPvP is istanced in 8vs8 matches that have a lobby area known as the Mists.  WvWvW is a split of 4 separate maps that all link to the main server scores.  Those maps are HUGE!  They're given a 24hr start at launch, then a 2 week persistance later.   There is no open world PvP

4) Yes, each of the zones and cities are separated by loading zones.  However, they are large maps and aren't short changed like WAR's or AoC's maps.  The cities are enormous.

5) I would classify this as a VIDEO GAME.  More so, a persistant world that's so big, so lively, so immersive, and just plain fun.  Themeparks have long, boring lines that progress to the very short fun ride experiences.    This game, from start to finish, is all a fun ride, and none of it is "boring progression to get to the good stuff".

6) Don't care.  Max level is NOT the main focus of the game.  Those that think so should play elsewhere.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Not sure, but probably equal?  Need more time after launch to get into the crafting.

I would say it takes the ease of WoW's system and ties it into SWGs experimenting system, but better.  If I remember SWGs system correctly.

This seems like a loaded question, everyone has a different idea of what "instanced" means.  Structured PVP takes place within battleground, much like WoWs, Rifts, etc.  WvWvW is more like 3 to 4 massives zones put side by side that you fight in with no loading screens except to get into or out of the whole area.

Yes, but it's fairly fast and not like SWTOR or AoCs horribly slow loading screens.

No and yes.  Another loaded question.  FFXI could be considered an instanced game world, but the immersion factor was so high that you don't feel like it, as opposed to games like EQ2 or AoC where you feel every load into another zone and it detracts from the game.  GW2 leans toward FFXI feel.

How would anyone know?  Game hasnt let us play long enough to find out.  I guess one could say it doesn't take 3 days to hit cap as that's about all we've had in BWEs.  Heck even over BWEs, I never got past level 20, but then I played different characters more often as well.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

1.  Are craftable weapons and armor better or equal to what you find in dungeons? Very Slightly better but not much.

2.  Would you say crafting is closer to WoW, or closer to SWG or Vanguard? Havn't crafted in GW2 so I have no answer

3.  Is all PvP instanced? sPvP yes -- they are 5 man to 10 man matches.  WvWvW has a high population. But no where near the server population max

4.  Are all zones separated by a loading screen? Anytime you go through an Asuran Gate you zone

5.  Would you classify this as an instanced themepark? Some would say yes. I would say no.

6.  Does it take weeks to hit max level, or does it take months? It can take a few days, but why??  Racing to the end to me is liking racing to the end of your life. Take it slow, enjoy the content. If you go any faster you'll miss a lot of fun on the way.  Someone maxed out just crafting. Someone also maxed out doing WvW in the first 2 BWEs

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Thank you for the replies.  My questions have been answered.

• MMOheraldMMOherald Member Posts: 22

1.  yes

2.  eq2

3.  there's a grey area with WvW, i myself consider it instanced for simplicity's sake.

4.  yes

5.  it's persistent, not seamless(like everquest isn't seamless) but it's not instanced. there's only story instances. PvP is on separate game servers. the overflow is NOT a "shard" instance, it's an auxiliary server that lets you log on to the game and play when the natural server limit is reached. overflow is shared among players from all 3 server clusters in a WvW match. it's also nowhere near as linear as most thempark mmo's.

6.  weeks

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Weird how people had a difficult time answering question number 3.

Yes PvP is instanced in GW2.  You're limited on a map for number of players on your server in WvW.  You have to zone in to each battleground.  You will have to wait in a queue for WvW if there's too many people in it.

There is no Open World PvP.

haha, more innocent TSW self defense.
    Originally posted by jdnyc

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

nuff said

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• chadatogchadatog Member Posts: 8

Yes PvP is instanced in GW2.  You're limited on a map for number of players on your server in WvW.  You have to zone in to each battleground.  You will have to wait in a queue for WvW if there's too many people in it.

Wierd how you have a difficult time understanding the difference between instanced and persistant.   A population cap does not mean that the zone is instanced nor does the fact that you need to zone.  The fact that there is a queue and that another instance of the wvw zones is NOT created when joining the wvw maps proves that the zone is persistant.  Now the 4  persistant zones of wvw will be there even if there is no one in the zones (another defining feature of persistance), however they will be reset after 2 weeks and new serever matchups happen (much like when other mmo's take their servers down for maintence).

So just to clarify:

spvp: instanced (every new set of 2 teams that enter create a new game instance)

wvwvw: 4 persistant zones that get reset every 2 weeks(no matter how many people try to join a wvwvw map a new one will never open).

Originally posted by MMOherald

I'm not sure if that's directed towards me, but I do play TSW.  That said, I probably won't be playing it for more than a month or 2 at most as it's just a time killer and not what I personally consider a great game.

Originally posted by chadatog

Wierd how you have a difficult time understanding the difference between instanced and persistant.   A population cap does not mean that the zone is instanced nor does the fact that you need to zone.  The fact that there is a queue and that another instance of the wvw zones is NOT created when joining the wvw maps proves that the zone is persistant.  Now the 4  persistant zones of wvw will be there even if there is no one in the zones (another defining feature of persistance), however they will be reset after 2 weeks and new serever matchups happen (much like when other mmo's take their servers down for maintence).

So just to clarify:

spvp: instanced (every new set of 2 teams that enter create a new game instance)

wvwvw: 4 persistant zones that get reset every 2 weeks(no matter how many people try to join a wvwvw map a new one will never open).

Ok, so maybe the term instanced is not the right word, but I knew what he meant.  Persistence means jack if you have to zone in to do it, IMHO.

I'm not sure if that's directed towards me, but I do play TSW.  That said, I probably won't be playing it for more than a month or 2 at most as it's just a time killer and not what I personally consider a great game.

towards jdnyc. also check your PM.

• Originally posted by Kraylor

1.  About equal.

2.  It's not SWG, It's not Vanguard - as far as I know there is no equipment or item that changes crafting outcome.  Where it does shine is with the Discovery system and the amount of options you can include within each recipe (gets more complicated the higher up the recipe is).  Having been a Bio-Engineer in SWG Pre-NGE I can tell you that Cooking in GW2 gave me the same feeling just because of the number of combinations you can come up with.  Using raw ingredients and intermediate components with each unique combo giving different benefits is kewl.  I did find that gear (including armor, weapons, and jewelry) wasn't as deep (at least for me) but I also didn't get very high up in any of those Disciplines.

6.  I expect if you really wanted to you could hit max level in 4 days.  Though why you would want to is beyond me.

This is the first game in years where I lose all sense of time.  There is so much to explore and that next hill keeps beckoning.  Reminds me of SWG at launch when I was completely awe struck at the Humbuba who stuck his head over the hill in front of me - so much so that after running for my life I circled around to get a better look at the whole critter.

towards jdnyc. also check your PM.

I play plenty of games besides TSW.  I will be playing GW2 and love the WvW, but it is instanced.  It's separated from the rest of the persistent PvE world.  Love how you keep  going after me and researched all my posts here and on TSW official forums.  Love how my distaste for the PvE in GW2 translates into a 'bash.'  Most of my posts you will find I back up my comments.

Your white knight defense is laughable.

your posts on the official forums tell the tale. very laughable how you try to play the victim here.
    your posts on the official forums tell the tale. very laughable how you try to play the victim here.

I never said I was a victim.  But I could create a new account like you did to hide whom I really am.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I play plenty of games besides TSW.  I will be playing GW2 and love the WvW, but it is instanced.  It's separated from the rest of the persistent PvE world.  Love how you keep  going after me and researched all my posts here and on TSW official forums.  Love how my distaste for the PvE in GW2 translates into a 'bash.'  Most of my posts you will find I back up my comments.

if you got time could you check out this post and watch the videos.. i'm curious after you watch them what your feelings on PVE are

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5224017/The-Dynamic-World-of-Tyria-your-thoughts-on-DEs.html#5224017

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you got time could you check out this post and watch the videos.. i'm curious after you watch them what your feelings on PVE are

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5224017/The-Dynamic-World-of-Tyria-your-thoughts-on-DEs.html#5224017

I will absolutely look into this.  My dislike has nothing to do with the DEs.  I'm talking about the actual story that goes on, but I will absolutely look into your thread when I have more time.  Thanks:)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I will absolutely look into this.  My dislike has nothing to do with the DEs.  I'm talking about the actual story that goes on, but I will absolutely look into your thread when I have more time.  Thanks:)

appreciate it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

All answered... so not much point..... but eeeeh :P

1. Crafting can assuredly make Exotic weapons, that is the max level for stats. I do not recall if crafting can also make Legendaries, that have same stats but looks more... outlandish. Stat-wise, every exotic has the same total stat points, but of course the crafting recipes will be limited in what kind of weapons/armor they can make, so the optimal weapon for YOU might not come from crafting.

2. Closer to WoW. It does not have any of the depth of SWG nor the mini game aspect of Vanguard. It is a step up from WoW though ;) The discovery system is just a nice way to get more recipes, it has nothing to do with SWG system.

3. Do you think a persistent Tol Barad from WoW as instanced? if yes, YES. if no, NO. Details: sPvP is always instanced. the WvWvW is a persistent region (composed of 4 maps) with a population cap.I do not define that as instanced, but your mileage may vary.

4. Yes.

5. No. It is same as EQ and EQ2

6. Who can really answer this? As levelling is linear instead of exponential, I guess sooner rather than later. But levelling speed in beta might have been accelerated for testing purposes, who knows?

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• PitrocelliPitrocelli Member CommonPosts: 9
    <deleted>

Originally posted by Pitrocelli

I have several questions of my own.

2A: I understand level cap is easy to hit, item grind is generally non-existent (compared to L2) and you are autoleveled to 80 when entering Mist . How will you stand out from crowd ? I am not looking for visuals or achievements only PvP power. Then GW2 is not your game. It is not power-based PvP but skill-based PvP. Your high end gear will have a bit more power but not enough to accomplish what you are looking for

3A: In addition to previous question. Seems to me that leading personalities of top clans able to organize massive number of equal ppl will be most important in order to win WvWvW. I am afraid choosing the right server with right clans will be wastly superior to individual contribution that I as player can provide in battle. If i understand it correctly servers will be autobalanced so if your server sux you will play against equally bad servers ? It is enought to be 1-eyed amongst blind ? Do you believe you can pull out your whole server from underperforming somehow or top server will rarely be changed. This has yet to be determined. Once we see how people respond to the big dictator guilds, and in turn how the smaller alliances work together or not has yet to be truly seen and may not be till the cycle actually switches over to the 2 week time period. (It will be a on 24 hour cycle at first till it settles.)

hehe.. I respond and he deletes as I do