Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing, what does it add?

ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Serious thread time,

I would like to see what you guys think Player Housing would add to the world of Guild Wars 2. 

I, personally, do not wish there to be player housing. At least not in a similar form to anything I have seen done previously in other games. If they do intend on having player housing (Guild Hall stuff would be better imo) then it would need to be done differently to fit within the game without taking away from other aspects of the game (Having it all instanced would reduce the visible population surrounding what would naturally be the big population centers within the game, for example.).

So what do you think Player Housing would bring to GW2 and do you think it would have any detrimental effects on the game as a whole? What sort of changes from what we would consider the 'standard' way of doing it could be done to make it fit in the game as well as possible?

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

If housing is added it will just be a seperate instance you can enter, you will never see houses dotting the landscape in this game.

Personally I don't care if they add it or not

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I don't think I've ever seen a case where Player Housing was "detrimental" to a game in any shape or form.  Usually the opposite as it creates even more longevity for a game and more meta gaming aspects, especially if one can decorate it a la crafted furniture, trophies won in battle or collected via other in game means.  So many positive aspects to housing. 

On that note, isn't there already something similar in game to that already?  Your personal area or something?  They can definitely expand on it in future content or expack updates.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    I can't see why it'd detract from the game, so why not?
  • ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

It'll be a nice feature.

No, it's not important. But it would be nice to have somewhere you can properly customize for yourself. It also happens to be sublime gem store fodder.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by elocke

On that note, isn't there already something similar in game to that already?  Your personal area or something?  They can definitely expand on it in future content or expack updates.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance

The home instance is an instanced area in each character's home city which evolves as they progress through the world.

A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal storyline. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.[1]

Players can invite others to visit their home instance. If a character visits a home instance in a city other than their home city (for example, a charr visiting Salma District), they will see a basic version of the district without any story-related changes.[2]

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

I don't think I've ever seen a case where Player Housing was "detrimental" to a game in any shape or form.  Usually the opposite as it creates even more longevity for a game and more meta gaming aspects, especially if one can decorate it a la crafted furniture, trophies won in battle or collected via other in game means.  So many positive aspects to housing. 

I agree totally and I read somewhere that player housing will be added sometime after launch which would be great :)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Derpybird

The home instance is an instanced area in each character's home city which evolves as they progress through the world.

A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal storyline. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.[1]

Players can invite others to visit their home instance. If a character visits a home instance in a city other than their home city (for example, a charr visiting Salma District), they will see a basic version of the district without any story-related changes.[2]

yup:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Dedicated player housing will not be in Guild Wars 2 at launch but is planned for a later update.

Source

Playing GW2..

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Derpybird

yup:)

But can I put a lamp or change the color of it to show off to my friends? No... so it's not good enough.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Player housing would not add anything for me, as I would never sit in my house when I was playing. It is not something that I view as fun in a game to set up my house. I really don't want to see some other person's ugly ass decorating either, so glad if they do put it in the game it will be personal instance.

I can see Guild Hall's having a use for gathering and meetings maybe have some crafting stuff set up inside, but for personal housing I really don't want or need it.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

games from the past have never had a negative impact due to player housing.

I enjoyed SWG, LOTRO and a few others takes on this and really had a great time customizing my house and my guild houses.

That being said, ANET has indicated there will be housing in the game.  Guild Halls and possibly player housing within your Home instance.

I can see if they do it correctly guilds can display awards and achievements that have earned within their hall and have mini games within guild halls as well as crafting and such.  They already have guild emblems for crafted items and such so it'd be easy to impliment that into a guild Hall. 

Player housing on the other hand would be easily implimented into the home instance and be a tangably changed area that is yours specifically.

Immersion can be greatly increased with player housing as you feel owner ship to not only your character but that the character lives within this world, has its own house, and a guild hall that he is part of.  It adds a depth if done right that can bring on some great experiences.

I personally can't wait to see how ANET approaches this and impliments it within Tyria!!!

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    ERP? Seriously.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Imho, I think all they would really need to do is modify part of your personal instance. Say for the charr were your war band "lives" is your house. Now make it were you can decorate the house and there ya go. Probably not the best answer, but I think the answer with the least ammount of overhead cost.

Or you could go the Lotro route and make a neighborhood instance, imo this is 1 of Lotro's greatest strength's. And i alway's had fun running around the shire neighboorhood i lived in and checking out how people decorated.

Originally posted by eggy08

But can I put a lamp or change the color of it to show off to my friends? No... so it's not good enough.

they talked about guild halls being able to do this.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

For those who say it can't be a bad influence on the game; I already gave one very simple example of the kind of impact it can have on a game.

I know about the home instance and while it's quite close to the whole Player Housing thing it isn't quite the same thing and while I don't speak for anyone else for me having my own home is quite different to having an instanced area that fit my story choices. I could see them doing the whole player housing thing inside that area though, that would be decent.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44

Imho, I think all they would really need to do is modify part of your personal instance. Say for the charr were your war band "lives" is your house. Now make it were you can decorate the house and there ya go. Probably not the best answer, but I think the answer with the least ammount of overhead cost.

Or you could go the Lotro route and make a neighborhood instance, imo this is 1 of Lotro's greatest strength's. And i alway's had fun running around the shire neighboorhood i lived in and checking out how people decorated.

I would bet that this is exactly what they do.

It would be interesting to see instanced communities a la LOTR, but I'd rather see guild halls first.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by eggy08

they talked about guild halls being able to do this.

Sarcasm. I just loved the post about a full on virtual world and the amount of stuff he wanted in that personal house he was describing. Afraid he'll come back and go on and on about it on this post...

Originally posted by Zezda

For those who say it can't be a bad influence on the game; I already gave one very simple example of the kind of impact it can have on a game.

I know about the home instance and while it's quite close to the whole Player Housing thing it isn't quite the same thing and while I don't speak for anyone else for me having my own home is quite different to having an instanced area that fit my story choices. I could see them doing the whole player housing thing inside that area though, that would be decent.

yea I could see them adding this.. we will see

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Player housing has the opportunity to add a very personal layer to the immersion in a game IF they also implement the ability to decorate/furnish it.

I still remember fondly my little slum row home in EQ2. Had it nicely furnished with many trophies...loved the glowies...and a cute little pig. I wonder if he starved to death yet...

Oh well. If it goes in, I'll partake. Won't break the game for me if it doesn't. It does add a very enjoyable facet for those of us who like to kick back and just chat amongst the guild(s) though.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    properly going to be some HOM like stuff for the player housing when it comes!
  • Martijn1234Martijn1234 Member Posts: 49
    wouldnt it be awesome if you see a whole city with buildings players have been making ;) like to see people make armorsmith buildings or weaponsmith and you see them busy making all kinds of things :) or a butcher thats cleaving his meat ;)

You may be able to destroy planets, but you can never destroy what I am, friend. I am the hope of the universe, I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth. ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I also think they would add any housing mechanics to your personal instance which would be great. Guilds could have their own instance "block" and phase each members personal instance through a street so there is no loading from your instance to your guilds instance.

One point is that crafting stations should stay in the city. This would help ensure instancing doesn't effect city populations too much.
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

SWG is thee only MMO I know of where players and communties as a whole could produce a living, breathing home, city or metropolis if they wanted.

Granted, games like Shadowbane allowed you to build Castles and shops. There were no player homes to speak of.

ArcheAge may be the closest MMO clone to what SWG offered, but not close enough to my liking.

SWG will always be one of my favorite MMOs ever simply because of how much they allowed players to do. Developers who think allowing such sandbox open ended creation into the player / communities hands is a bad or unworthy task are obviously not RP style gamers.

where was this? i played swg for couple years but generally all the player houses were in remote areas and just setup as shops and trophy showcases nothing more.

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

SWG is thee only MMO I know of where players and communties as a whole could produce a living, breathing home, city or metropolis if they wanted.

Granted, games like Shadowbane allowed you to build Castles and shops. There were no player homes to speak of.

ArcheAge may be the closest MMO clone to what SWG offered, but not close enough to my liking.

SWG will always be one of my favorite MMOs ever simply because of how much they allowed players to do. Developers who think allowing such sandbox open ended creation into the player / communities hands is a bad or unworthy task are obviously not RP style gamers.

where was this? i played swg for couple years but generally all the player houses were in remote areas and just setup as shops and trophy showcases nothing more.

You either played in the NGE or didn't get around a lot.  This isn't an insult.  I was part of a few guilds and all had active cities with crafters creating their wares, pvpers keeping watch on their bases, cantinas with people getting ready for battle, player vendors with people checking out their products, and people getting missions/quests from the player cities.  Every guild I was in had people always in the city doing something. 

GW2 is not appealing to me, BUT non instanced player housing goes a long way for a sizable demographic of players.  Having some non combat elements that are not easy mode crafting and exploring helps a game's longevity.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Zezda

Serious thread time,

I would like to see what you guys think Player Housing would add to the world of Guild Wars 2. 

I, personally, do not wish there to be player housing. At least not in a similar form to anything I have seen done previously in other games. If they do intend on having player housing (Guild Hall stuff would be better imo) then it would need to be done differently to fit within the game without taking away from other aspects of the game (Having it all instanced would reduce the visible population surrounding what would naturally be the big population centers within the game, for example.).

So what do you think Player Housing would bring to GW2 and do you think it would have any detrimental effects on the game as a whole? What sort of changes from what we would consider the 'standard' way of doing it could be done to make it fit in the game as well as possible?

I love player housing as it is another form of endgame progression not directly tied to gear grinding (which I hate).  Being able to customize your own abode and find the perfect knick-knacks to place i nyour home adds hundreds if nto thousands of additional content for people to pursue.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.