Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I still don't understand...

surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
Why people try to use the excuse that GW2 is on some sort of "hype" train. Everything I've read about GW2 putting in their game was always in game before i found out about it. They made sure they could do it before they released info about it to the public.  There is no CGI trailers for commercials, no talking bad about other games... ANET is just working on their game and trying to put something new on the market of old. people need to stop using the "hype train" excuse... people are hyped because they are finally getting something that was promised.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by surfer88
    Why people try to use the excuse that GW2 is on some sort of "hype" train. Everything I've read about GW2 putting in their game was always in game before i found out about it. They made sure they could do it before they released info about it to the public.  There is no CGI trailers for commercials, no talking bad about other games... ANET is just working on their game and trying to put something new on the market of old. people need to stop using the "hype train" excuse... people are hyped because they are finally getting something that was promised.

not to mention most people talking about the game and praising it have put more hours into the game than most single player games..  I still don't see how people can consider this just "hype"... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    People are generally just disillusioned with the genre, the last few games that were hyped were disappoinments.  By their logic, that means anything hyped is doomed to disappoint in the same way.  Statiscally, that's impossible.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

It all depends on which definition of the word hype that you are using.

From dictionary.com

1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually followed by up ): Shewas hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.
    2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods;promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.
    3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) byingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usuallyfollowed by up ).
    4. to trick; gull.
    5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
    6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used inadvertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
    7. a swindle, deception, or trick.
    I think you are thinking of it in terms of definitions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7

The people making the claim, however, are likely referring to definition 1.  Which definitely is the case.  FAns of this game (Including myself) definitely ARE very much excited, i.e. hyped.  

The thing is the people bashing on the hype for this game are being disingenuous in deliverying their statements by implying that the hype they refer to is a bad thing.  Which is the case only for some of the OTHER definitions of the word.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with people being excited (hyped) about a game that they are looking forward to playing.  

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

That's something I was wondering as well

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87

There is two types of hype. Comany and player. Gamers like Warhammer did a lot of company hype and when the game launched we all deflated. Player hype is something else and its the real word of mouth business but gamers are so sick of hype that they dont see its as something else. They just remember games over hyped and failed. ANet has done very little to add to their hype. Matter of fact when I went looking for info on this game back in Feb/March, I could find very little info from the developers themselves. Player hype is something gamers need to take note of.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36

It also appears that many people ACTUALLY BELIEVE that the "player testimonial" is just some sort of propaganda campaign  put forth by the developers. So it still falls under the "Company Hype" to these individuals. This is obviously ludicrous; but there you have it.

*Puts on Tin Foil Hat of Paranoia +5*

edit- Typo

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The 'hype train' has built up locomotive speed on a number of games in the past few years and caused them to be (in some aspects) inflated beyond what their actual game play merited.

Now when folks start crowing about a game, the 'hype train' and all it's past passengers will be brought out as a negative.

Sooner or later a 'hype train' will begin about a game that will live up to the hype (hopefully and I do think that GW2 will be it) and the 'hype train' negatives will be de-railed for the near future.

I'm at the end of the line for my choo-choo metaphors.

to add on to this what MMO pre-release has ever had this much youtube footage of actual gameplay from actual players on not just dev footage? guides on pretty much every aspect of the game going into great detail about the game.. countless hours of PVP videos and so on... I honestly can't remember there ever being a AAA mmo that had this much actual game coverage prior to its release.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

There´s a different between different kind of hypes .. however, people don´t udnerstand.

SWTOR was hyped through the ip.

Diablo 3 was hyped through marketing.

Guild Wars 2 is hyped through players.

When people understand the difference, I think we will have a healthy community.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i don't know about anyone else, but my "hype" only got going after i played it. 
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    to add on to this what MMO pre-release has ever had this much youtube footage of actual gameplay from actual players on not just dev footage? guides on pretty much every aspect of the game going into great detail about the game.. countless hours of PVP videos and so on... I honestly can't remember there ever being a AAA mmo that had this much actual game coverage prior to its release.

No game in recent memory that I can think of.

I am finding it pretty darn impressive.  And think it's a good sign for how well the game is going to do.

Soon, we'll even find out one way or the other for real.  Only 5 days left!

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Some people are only mere husks, devoid of any positive emotions, finding the happiness and excitement of others unbearable.

It's normally the 'grouchy teenager stage' that most people grow out of. Ironically, it's when people think they're 'mature'. it's not, it's the point before someone achieved a balanced emotional pallete and actually is mature. It's that stage before not knowing anything about the world and being overly optimistic and realising there's a lot in the world to be happy about, but there's just some shit to go along with it. Instead those in that stage of development hate and distrust everything because santa isn't real* and everything they knew is being brought into question.

*Not just this, of course XD

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Having BWEs was genious, it hyped everyone up even more than ArenaNet possibly thought it was.

What I don't understand is how people judge anything based on hype though.

So if it wasn't hyped, that aspect would be great?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

You know, it's kind of funny (though in an incredibly sad sort of way), I've actually seen some people criticize ANet for not putting out more trailers, etc. AND criticize ANet for 'over-hyping the game.'   It's such an artificial dilemma.   A developer Catch-22 if you will.

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

this and I've seen so many self made commercials by players with *gasp* actual in game footage *gasp*... i love that its up to the players to form their own opinion of that game based on other players... thats what i want to see not a dev show me a cgi trailer of 5 mins of things that look awesome but nothing i can actually do in-game. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Catibrie

There is two types of hype. Comany and player. Gamers like Warhammer did a lot of company hype and when the game launched we all deflated. Player hype is something else and its the real word of mouth business but gamers are so sick of hype that they dont see its as something else. They just remember games over hyped and failed. ANet has done very little to add to their hype. Matter of fact when I went looking for info on this game back in Feb/March, I could find very little info from the developers themselves. Player hype is something gamers need to take note of.

Add pretty much everything made by BioWare since BGII to that list.   Anything EA has gotten thier sticky hands on for the past five or six years (which includes Warhammer).  

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

add in that it's less than 2 weeks from release so the haters have to hate on overtime right now to prove they're right, even when they aren't. 

Personally i'm glad TSW was imho a flop (yes, alot of people like it but for ME it didtn't have any "catch".  I could take it or leave it after the first week) cuz otherwise I'd have passed completely on GW2 and in hindsight that'd make me a sad panda.

Weather forcast for the next week is storms, trending forum posts all being hurricaines of "GW2 sux" "No it rocks!!" with back and forth gusts of bullshit and hype storms.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I just lvoe how so many since ArenaNet started showing GW2 people said it was goign to change the genre forever. What ? What isn't hype ? Please, it isn't going to change anything. It will be the next theme park game that will fail long term.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Mephster
    I just lvoe how so many since ArenaNet started showing GW2 people said it was goign to change the genre forever. What ? What isn't hype ? Please, it isn't going to change anything. It will be the next theme park game that will fail long term.

what is failing to you and failing to me is probably two different things... GW1 isnt by any means a game sought after by everyone but it does have a player base... i have no fear GW2 will do just fine ... even if it doesnt apply to you and the type of players like you who dont like the game, i understand you guys are scared. It's something refreshing to play after the long repetitive years we've had of the same type of other mmo's... im not asking for it to last forever... nothing lasts forever but i do feel it will be the best $60 I've spent in a long time and i actually feel like im getting more than my moneys worth over the next few years.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

It isn't arena.net trumpetting the game beyond its expecations, it's the fans. GW2 will be a good game, but it will not sustain a worthwhile buzz to have any sort of effect on the MMO industry, hence it will fall into obscurity and be considered a failure. ESPECIALLY with a WOW expansion right ahead of it and SWTOR going F2P, and THEN the slew of F2P titles right after that.

There will be a buzz for about a a week or two, then its back to WOW for most people, and then the slew of games that are coming in the fall. 

Frankly the hype train needs to derail and blow up. The perfect game does not exist. Enjoy what you got, it may be missing some things but its fun for awhile, and thats all that a game could hope for.  

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I expect GW2 to be a strong chrismas seller -- but we will see

that hype was years ago and it was just dev hype.. but after all the BWEs and the thousands of hours of footage by players on the actual game I dunno how you can still call what's out there now just hype..   not sure how you can't see the difference between the two

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

what is failing to you and failing to me is probably two different things... GW1 isnt by any means a game sought after by everyone but it does have a player base... i have no fear GW2 will do just fine ... even if it doesnt apply to you and the type of players like you who dont like the game, i understand you guys are scared. It's something refreshing to play after the long repetitive years we've had of the same type of other mmo's... im not asking for it to last forever... nothing lasts forever but i do feel it will be the best $60 I've spent in a long time and i actually feel like im getting more than my moneys worth over the next few years.

This game will do fine for what it offers I agree, but there are too many things missing from this game that other games currently offer or that future games will definetly have.  But I will have fun playing it for a long time since I can pop in and out when I feel like some PvP.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by kalrhael

GW2 will be a good game, but it will not sustain a worthwhile buzz to have any sort of effect on the MMO industry

I don't know, looks like TESO is already taking some things from GW2.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by snapfusion

This game will do fine for what it offers I agree, but there are too many things missing from this game that other games currently offer or that future games will definetly have.  But I will have fun playing it for a long time since I can pop in and out when I feel like some PvP.

What's missing?

Guild Halls/Player Housing -- Planned for post-release

Mounts -- Probably will never happen, but who knows. 

Dungeon finder -- I hope this never makes it into the game. A simple LFG will work. 

So in your opinion, what's missing in this game? (Remember this, the game isn't necessarily missing it. It's just your opinion of a feature you look for in a game)