Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor: OnLive Shutting Down?

NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Like the title says:

http://mashable.com/2012/08/17/onlive-layoffs/

Apparently all of their staff were laid off Friday.  My TweetDeck is going to explode.

OnLive's Twitter is still providing updates and they just gave out some free games a few hours ago.  So, who knows?

UPDATE: FALSO

UPDATE: OnLive states they're not shutting down.  Refuses to comment on employee layoffs.

Steam: Neph

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

That would surprise me. OnLive was working on offering a Windows Virtual Desktop that seemed to have a lot of potential.

"Cloud" (thin client) services seem like they may be the future of computing. Ever increasing Internet speeds and a large, fragmented (both hardware and software) group of devices (especially handheld) lends itself to thin client computing.

Imagine if your ISP (to keep the ping down) offered a virtual Windows desktop with NVidia Geforce Grid graphics (Gaikai) for $50 a month. You could install Windows games on your virtual desktop and then game on your tablet, TV or 10 year old PC as if you were using a current gaming computer. At $50 a month, you'd spend $1200 over 2 years... which is comparable to buying a mid range gaming PC once every 2 years. I think a lot of people would go for this.

The only thing holding these services back is ping time and bandwidth (ie our cheap ISPs... and they could stand to profit from partnering with companies who provide these services).

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I've often thought Onlive was too ahead of it's time, I really look forward to cloud gaming removing hardware limitations for gamers, and I really hope Onlive continues.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

GameStop is introducing a Cloud Gaming service of some sort.

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/17/gamestop-introducing-cloud-gaming-service-spawn-for-tablets-and-connected-tvs-next-summer/

I wonder if this has anything to do with OnLive...

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Onlive a privately held company from 2003 offers a cloud gaming (+300 games since late 2010 were rendered on OnLive's servers [middleman selling access to games]) platform through a cloud desktop, Android and iOS device solutions (competitor for the console market.)

10 AM Friday Aug 17, following in the footsteps of vulture capitalist romney, CEO perlman (after adding MANY 0s to his personal bank account) instructed about 160 employees to pack their belongings, return any key cards, and exit the building through the back door by 4pm. Any vetted stocks now worthless, *hitcaned former employees were offered the previous week's pay.
    (2PM about 40 cronies were offered an invitation to stay with the new investor)

Last month (July 2) Sony announced that it had purchased from CEO Perry the discounted game streaming service Gaikai for $380 million for their PlayStation3 console properties.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

It would be very difficult for the Ouya box to stream OnLive games if that happened.  So, my guess is the rumors are either not true, or in preparation for corporate restructuring.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2000244/ouya-console-will-stream-games-in-partnership-with-onlive.html