Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question about playing PvP with PvE char

Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
Oke, since I have not played the GW2 Beta and did play GW1 for countless hours I was wondering, is PvP the same as in GW1 ? I mean can you make a character that is pure PvP and can't play PvE ? Or when I make a PvE char I am just as strong in PvP as Pure PvP character ? I can remember that in GW1 it took me countless of hours to get perfect shadowbow since that was the same size bow as the bow that was used in Spike teams. So when I have a PvE char will I be forced to play for countless of hours before it is usefull in PvP Or armor and weapons are all cosmetic ? (Which I personaly hope for)

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Dark_HUmar
    Oke, since I have not played the GW2 Beta and did play GW1 for countless hours I was wondering, is PvP the same as in GW1 ? I mean can you make a character that is pure PvP and can't play PvE ? Or when I make a PvE char I am just as strong in PvP as Pure PvP character ? I can remember that in GW1 it took me countless of hours to get perfect shadowbow since that was the same size bow as the bow that was used in Spike teams. So when I have a PvE char will I be forced to play for countless of hours before it is usefull in PvP Or armor and weapons are all cosmetic ? (Which I personaly hope for)

You'll be bumped up to lvl 80 when you join PvP.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

There's two types of PvP.

Structured PvP, and WvW.

In Structured PvP, you're automatically level 80, with access to all level 80 skills, traits and equipment.  As you get points in structured PvP, you can use the points (Or win prizes) that give you different cosmetic skins, but you have access to all the various sorts of equipment that everybody else does.  This uses your PvE character, just buffs them up and gives them access to SPvP only equipment.

In WvW, you're using your PvE character, skills, stats and weapons, though everybody is buffed to level 80. (A true level 80 will be more powerful than somebody boosted to that)

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50

Plenty of info about that out there, but either way:

In WvW your character uses the same equipment as he would use in the PvE world, or vice versa (items you acquire on wvw carry to the PvE world).

In sPvP any character has their items capped, even if you are spvping for the first time, only changes are cosmetic "higher tier" items.

So pretty much you won't be gimped because you prefer PvE, probably the contrary if you consider WvW as it should (?) be easier to get gear cap on PvE than in pure WvW.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Thank you for the info! Geting more excited to play the more I read about GW2 ^^
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

There are three modes of Gameplay, PvE, WvWvW and sPvP they are all available to the same character. There are no "Pure" PvP characters this time around however you can PvP and level up all the way to 80 on WvWvW or just earn PvP ranks and rewards in sPvP.

PVE Gear, stats, and skills will have an effect in WvWvW. Even though you are boosted to 80, you will only have what you unlocked. Meaning that a level 80 with level 80 gear that has unlocked all of the skills will have an advantage over your level 6 with level 5 gear, no trait points and few skills.

sPvP is another story and more like the GW1 PvP, except this time around you get all skills, runes, sigils and weapons available as soon as you join. You can reset your traits and assign them however many times you wish. And all the rewards are cosmetic and have no effect on the PvE par of the game. Same goes the other way around, only PvP items will be used in sPvP and won't be usable in PvE. So in this case, no you won't have to PvE and try to get the perfect bow or unlock a specific skill, everything is available and this is one of the most welcomed changes in GW2

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.